PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Weapon License

I Am Right
10/28/2009, 11:16 AM
Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing Reporting
Pamela Jones CHICAGO (CBS)

Local gun shop owners say they're seeing an increase in the number of women shoppers right now. The reasons, they say, are many, including the downturn in the economy and violence on the street.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, about 48 percent of people taking their first handgun seminars this year happen to be women. CBS 2's Pamela Jones reports on the growing trend.

"It's very dangerous out there. I mean, there's people getting robbed here and there," said Josie Santiago. "It's just for protection."

Santiago says she's always thinking about the danger lurking on the streets of the Chicago area. It's a big reason why she visited Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park.

Not only did she shop for a new weapon, but she also wanted to find out about taking firearms training from the pros.

"It's better that you know how to use it," Santiago said. "You know, take the class, take the course, protect yourself."

And she's not alone. A National Shooting Sports Foundation survey found that the top two reasons women seek firearms training are for personal protection and target practice.

At Illinois Gun Works, the owners say they've seen a 40 percent increase recently in the numbers of women looking to take classes, and that the number of women coming in to purchase guns is rising, too.

"A lot more. We purchased this business seven years ago, and I've noticed the increase," said Debbie Mastrianni.

"It's not so much because they're scared. I think they just want to learn about it," said Don Mastrianni.

Josie Santiago says the lessons in personal security are something she wants to pass on to other women in her family, but she wants them to learn the responsibility of being behind the trigger as well.

"If it's in the wrong hands, you know, a lot of damage can be done," Santiago said.

Santiago is taking her interest in public safety a step further now. She's going for a degree in criminal justice and eventually would like to become a police officer.

unbiasedtruth
10/28/2009, 11:38 AM
screw concealed..... open carry is the way to go....

a gun is tool, like and ax or shovel. Its only as good or bad as the man who uses it. Shane

StoopTroup
10/28/2009, 12:06 PM
After you cap some SOB do you get an upgrade CCW?

I Am Right
10/28/2009, 05:22 PM
screw concealed..... open carry is the way to go....

a gun is tool, like and ax or shovel. Its only as good or bad as the man who uses it. Shane

Actually, in Oklahoma we have open carry.

Scott D
10/28/2009, 05:26 PM
now that you've mastered quoting another person's post, you need to work on quoting the articles you post.

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/28/2009, 05:38 PM

Actually, no we don't. It can't be openly visible, nor can it be profiled (if someone can see the outline of the weapon under your shirt and tell that its a weapon, you're illegal).

I Am Right
10/28/2009, 05:43 PM
Actually, no we don't. It can't be openly visible, nor can it be profiled (if someone can see the outline of the weapon under your shirt and tell that its a weapon, you're illegal).

actually, yes it can. wear it on your hip, just don't conceal.

I Am Right
10/28/2009, 05:43 PM
now that you've mastered quoting another person's post, you need to work on quoting the articles you post.

why are your panties in a wad?

My Opinion Matters
10/28/2009, 05:49 PM
Who needs an RSS feed when we've got this joker?

Okla-homey
10/28/2009, 06:54 PM

not for handguns.

I Am Right
10/28/2009, 06:58 PM
not for handguns.

Yes, hand guns. loaded or not, on your hip or laying in the seat, as long as it is not concealed.

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 08:03 PM
As per www.opencarry.org

"Oklahoma specifically prohibits open carry and issues concealed and carry permits."

Just got mine earlier this year.

olevetonahill
10/28/2009, 08:05 PM
Yes, hand guns. loaded or not, on your hip or laying in the seat, as long as it is not concealed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OUHOMER
10/28/2009, 08:05 PM

I think you are arguing with the wrong crowd.

olevetonahill
10/28/2009, 08:09 PM
I think you are arguing with the wrong crowd.

He needs to change his name to
"I is WRONG "

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 08:16 PM
Not trying to derail the thread but anyone else happen to get their permit at the Nowata Firearms range and rent any of the full auto goodies they have? Now thats a some fun stuff, expensive but it's a blast. : )

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2009, 08:55 PM

Hm.

Homey has passed the Oklahoma bar, has a specific interest in handguns, and is licensed to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Oklahoma.

I am Right is some random dude on the internet.

Me, I'm going with random dude on the internet to tell me Oklahoma gun law.

Boarder
10/28/2009, 09:10 PM
I know I'm in the minority on this board but I think a concealed carry license is a complete waste of money. I got one several years ago after it came out and the few times I carried a gun around I felt like a complete idiot. I didn't renew.

Has there been any research into effectiveness in crime reduction, wrongful deaths, etc since it passed? I don't want it repealed at all. It should be out there if you want it. I just see no real 2009 reason to have it.

I feel having one at home for home protection is a different subject and doesn't apply. You don't need a concealed carry license for that.

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 09:30 PM
I know I'm in the minority on this board but I think a concealed carry license is a complete waste of money. I got one several years ago after it came out and the few times I carried a gun around I felt like a complete idiot. I didn't renew.

You wouldn't have felt like an idiot if you were to have needed it. ;) but to each there own. Getting the permit is fairly expensive and IMO dealing with the sheriffs dept. was more of a pain in the butt than anything.

I feel having one at home for home protection is a different subject and doesn't apply. You don't need a concealed carry license for that.

I agree but like having one at home the permit gives me the OPTION to carry when I'm out and about. :)

yermom
10/28/2009, 09:32 PM
if you were to open carry you are then a target, and drawing attention to yourself.

if i was starting some ****, i'm shooting the guy with the gun before he knows **** is going down

carrying a weapon is a pretty big responsibility. hell, i already have to worry enough about where i'm going carrying my pocket knife

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 09:36 PM
if you were to open carry you are then a target, and drawing attention to yourself.

if i was starting some ****, i'm shooting the guy with the gun before he knows **** is going down

^This

Not a big fan of open carry myself but once again, to each their own.

Penguin
10/28/2009, 09:36 PM
Is America so dangerous that people feel the need to carry around a gun?

I'm guessing if you're going somewhere that you feel the need to carry a gun, you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place.

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 09:38 PM
I would rather keep'um guessing myself...as far as open vs. concealed goes.

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 09:47 PM

I'm guessing if you're going somewhere that you feel the need to carry a gun, you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place.

Hopefully I'm never in a situation where I even have to think about using a gun for self defense, home or otherwise. If I were to need it then it's there and if not, no one but myself and my wife know I even have it.

GottaHavePride
10/28/2009, 09:49 PM
I have a permit. Thus far, I have never actually carried a gun in public. Partly because I don't have my own gun right now, and partly because I need some more time on the gun range before I'm comfortable with it. (Right now I could without question drop a hostile target if I had to - I just lack the finesse to 100% avoid, say, putting the bullet through a bystander's shoulder en route to the target...)

Personally, I don't tend to go places I think I'll need to be carrying. although granted you can never predict the "broad daylight nut assaulting a Quizno's". I do like that it means I can have one in my car, though.

And yes, I know that I could just keep one in my car anyway, but see - since the permit is a perfectly legal and available option now, police, prosecutors, and juries are NOT going to be as lenient with you if you DON'T have a permit and wind up popping someone. First question is going to be "why don't you have a permit to be carrying that?"

salth2o
10/28/2009, 10:11 PM

I am not sure that America is that dangerous of a place, but there are enough desperate, idiotic people who are willing to attempt something. There is not one place that is exempt from some dumba$$ showing up to rob or harm someone.

I carry at all times and hope that I never have to use my firearm to defend myself or my family. However, if that time ever presents itself...I am prepared to NOT be a victim.

Curly Bill
10/28/2009, 10:26 PM
I have had my permit for years and often carry mine. I don't find it a hassle at all, and I'm quite comfortable with it.

I expect that I'll never need to use it -- still I'd rather be prepared for some crazy arse shiz than not.

Curly Bill
10/28/2009, 10:26 PM
I am not sure that America is that dangerous of a place, but there are enough desperate, idiotic people who are willing to attempt something. There is not one place that is exempt from some dumba$$ showing up to rob or harm someone.

I carry at all times and hope that I never have to use my firearm to defend myself or my family. However, if that time ever presents itself...I am prepared to NOT be a victim.

This sums it up for me pretty well too.

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 10:40 PM
I expect that I'll never need to use it -- still I'd rather be prepared for some crazy arse shiz than not.

My thoughts exactly. It's been many years but I remember from Boy Scouts..."Be Prepared".

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2009, 10:42 PM
My thoughts exactly. It's been many years but I remember from Boy Scouts..."Be Prepared".

Hey, if you're the same Tenkiller...I've still got that Tenkiller survival pack you sent me like 9 years ago. Thanks.

stoopified
10/28/2009, 10:49 PM
I knew a Sixkiller once,hmmm I wonder if he has been busy. :)

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2009, 10:49 PM

Got a picture of Sonny hangin' out with my dad!

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 10:53 PM
Hey, if you're the same Tenkiller...I've still got that Tenkiller survival pack you sent me like 9 years ago. Thanks.

Sorry, different Tenkiller. And I thought I was being original with my screen name :D

TenkillerSooner
10/28/2009, 10:55 PM

As in Lake Tenkiller ;)

Fraggle145
10/28/2009, 11:52 PM
I have a concealed weapon...

In my pants. :D

TenkillerSooner
10/29/2009, 12:53 AM
Sorry that I helped the thread derail...

To get back on topic,

We no longer live in a society where fists or bladed weapons are the equalizer. If some nut job were to walk into the dept. store I happened to be at and started shooting people, for my wife and my son's sake, I want to at least be on semi equal footing as said nut job. I'm not someone who carries in the hopes of shooting a person, but I was raised in a manner that if you were to point a weapon at someone, you shoot to kill them.

10/29/2009, 05:26 AM
i've got a heckofa gun. It will chop an intruder in half with one shot. I'd never consider carrying one in public. If I sensed someone breaking into my property, I'd gladly repaint my walls crimson.

That said, the guns out on the street are beyond sane. Too many people end up dirt.

Harry Beanbag
10/29/2009, 07:55 AM
I have a concealed weapon...

In my pants. :D

.22 snubnoses don't count. ;)

Harry Beanbag
10/29/2009, 07:58 AM

Exactly.

I know you can open carry in Arizona and Idaho. Up in the mountains in Arizona if you're not open carrying, you're in the minority. It's the old west up there.