PDA

View Full Version : OU-TX night game next year??????

auto
10/28/2009, 08:27 AM
From the Dallas Morning News

Oh yeah, should be a blast...:D

08:03 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
By MICHAEL A. LINDENBERGER / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
DART board members said Tuesday that the agency has little to apologize for in the delays experienced by thousands of fans who overwhelmed the rail system on Oct. 17. Tens of thousands of football fans found themselves stranded, often for hours, as DART scrambled to provide service to Fair Park on the final weekend of the State Fair of Texas.

Get transit and transportation news
"I think you and DART did a wonderful job," former board chairman Randall Chrisman of Carrollton told President Gary Thomas after he presented a lengthy report on what went wrong. "The staff did an incredible job."

Chrisman's support for Thomas was widely echoed by other board members. Several expressed doubt that the agency would ever be able to smoothly handle the size of the crowds that showed up Oct. 17, when about 40,000 fairgoers rode light rail.

"I think the staff did an excellent job," Dallas board member Jerry Christian said. "I honestly don't think you can rectify this situation in a way that is going to satisfy everybody."

Even packed full of riders, Dallas Area Rapid Transit trains can only reasonably handle about 5,000 passengers per hour.

Nevertheless, Thomas said the agency hopes to do better next year. He warned board members that the timing of the 2010 Texas-Oklahoma football game will make the crowds an even bigger challenge.

Next year, it's an evening game, with all 95,000 or so football fans letting out just about the time the final crowds from the State Fair will be seeking to leave.

Thomas offered no fresh apology for the delays during the football game, and stressed that overall service on the new Green Line during the State Fair was a rousing success.

"Oct. 17 was a little bit more challenging," he said. "Obviously there were a lot more people than we expected. ... We've apologized for the delay publicly. And we are disappointed in what happened," Thomas said.

"We began planning for this process almost a year ago," Thomas told board members. The staff simply underestimated how many fans would want to ride the new Green Line to Fair Park.

Thomas said staff had anticipated only about a 50 percent increase in use of light rail to get to the game over the demand from last year, when about 15,000 passengers rode the Red Line downtown and then took a shuttle to Fair Park.

But instead of the 22,500 or so round trips DART had planned for, some 40,000 fairgoers crowded on the rail lines. Some trains arrived at Fair Park with 460 passengers, more than 2.5 times as many seats as were available – and nearly 100 more than the busiest trips experienced during DART's record ridership boom when gas prices soared in 2008.

DART board members who spoke at Tuesday's meeting, while offering a number of suggestions, were unanimous in their support for the agency and for Thomas' handling of the busy day.

"In some ways, we are victims of our own success," Dallas board member Scott Carlson said. "And my guess is we are not going to have quite as many people riding light rail at next year's game based on their experience this time."

John Carter Danish of Irving said the crowds proved at least one thing: "We used to hear that we're never going to be able to get Texans out of their pickup trucks. Well, if nothing else, this shows that we can get Texans and Oklahomans out of their pickup trucks."

Thomas said the agency will study what went wrong for another month or so. Planning on how to handle the event next year will follow soon after, he said. He said it's possible the agency may be able to work out a deal with Union Pacific Railroad to run Trinity Railway Express commuter trains straight to Fair Park, ending one major source of the delays this year. In addition, he said DART will offer back-up shuttles for next year, a plan that was considered for this year but discarded as unnecessary.

But even with a roster full of improvements, board members cautioned that the light rail service is unlikely to ever be able to handle the kind of demand that showed up Oct. 17.

Christian said one solution may be to sell tickets in advance, and simply turn would-be passengers away once the system's capacity is reached.

Dallas board member Pamela Dunlop Gates said that no matter how the agency changes its plans for next year, it needs to do a better job telling riders how long it could take to get to Fair Park.

"We have got to manage expectations," she said.

Lott's Bandana
10/28/2009, 08:37 AM
I'm throwing my red flag on this one.

SunnySooner
10/28/2009, 08:42 AM
I'm calling BS...they don't decide the game time this far in advance, and OU/* has never been a night game, has it? I can't remember any. Plus, no way you could let Sooners and Whorns within 10 feet of each other after everyone's been drinking all day. There'd be bodies scattered all over the fairgrounds. Ain't happening. It will either be the 11:00 if we're good, or the 2:30 regional if we're not.

Okie35
10/28/2009, 08:49 AM
I'm calling BS...they don't decide the game time this far in advance, and OU/* has never been a night game, has it? I can't remember any. Plus, no way you could let Sooners and Whorns within 10 feet of each other after everyone's been drinking all day. There'd be bodies scattered all over the fairgrounds. Ain't happening. It will either be the 11:00 if we're good, or the 2:30 regional if we're not.

Yea I'd rather it be at 2:30 but I say its probably going to still be 11. I'm just glad its earlier in the season next year and the first conference game. Beat their *** and get it over with.

Collier11
10/28/2009, 09:16 AM
I was under the impression that neither Joe C. or Dodds would ever allow it to be a night game

iwannabelikesam
10/28/2009, 09:24 AM

This. The dart board doesn't know anything.

ouwapiti
10/28/2009, 09:31 AM
it'll never be a night game.... how would you like to walk around in that neighborhood after dark going back to your car???

Collier11
10/28/2009, 09:35 AM
Now if it was at Jerry World maybe, otherwise heck no

iwannabelikesam
10/28/2009, 09:38 AM
it'll never be a night game.... how would you like to walk around in that neighborhood after dark going back to your car???

What do you mean? Do you actually think your car would still be there?

Lott's Bandana
10/28/2009, 09:49 AM
it'll never be a night game.... how would you like to run frantically and shreiking at the sound of every car backfire and "hey, lemme ax you a question" comment.???

:pop:

ouwapiti
10/28/2009, 10:39 AM
What do you mean? Do you actually think your car would still be there?

yeah, but think how good your car would look the next day with 22" rims driving to the grocery store to use those food stamps.....

badger
10/28/2009, 11:11 AM
Inakrut. Read here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091028_92_0_NORMAN288233)

JLEW1818
10/28/2009, 11:34 AM
lol

if it is a night game, I'm for sure NOT going

good luck getting stabbed by Obama's finest people hanging around Fair Park

;)

beer4me
10/28/2009, 11:53 AM
According to the radio OU issued a statement that said to the effect "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND"

They said no decision has been made on this and won't be until the summer.

auto
10/28/2009, 12:16 PM
That would be an epic game, you people be a bunch of pansies.:D

C&CDean
10/28/2009, 12:36 PM
Only limp-wristed pantywaists ride the ****ing train. Mass transit is for pussies.

StoopTroup
10/28/2009, 12:49 PM
If I hadn't rode the DART last year...I wouldn't have gotten this beauty of a pic.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/DSC03080.jpg

prrriiide
10/28/2009, 02:18 PM
Inakrut. Read here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091028_92_0_NORMAN288233)

Classic comment from the bottom of the story:

OUSooner2001 (http://www.tulsaworld.com/profile/profile.aspx?id=167872), (10/28/2009 1:30:14 PM)
Those of you complaining about it being a non-news story: Did you or did you not click the link?

Once again, aggie is stunned speechless as the horrifying specter of logic rears it's ugly head, with it's bastard-child irony close at hand.

badger
10/28/2009, 02:32 PM
To tell you the truth, when I first saw that story, I thought it was a typo, considering that Texas plays Oklahoma State this weekend, not Oklahoma.

But hey, not every news story can be about how Gundy has gone 0-8 as head coach of the Pokes against OU and Texas.

Yes, O-8.

That is just two losses and one tie shy of 0-10-1.

Oh, Ten and One, oh, Ten and One.
All cuz Dez is AWOL!
Oh, Ten and One, oh Ten and One.
Hairgel's a big, fat a------.

;)

SoonerLaw09
10/28/2009, 02:33 PM
Only limp-wristed pantywaists ride the ****ing train. Mass transit is for pussies.

You haven't ever lived in a big city with the attendant big city traffic, have you?

yermom
10/28/2009, 03:24 PM
getting to the Fair was fine, getting out was a PITA

and i think they are just saying that if the game was later it would be worse

instigator
10/28/2009, 07:57 PM
I would rather play at night than 11AM.

Jacie
10/28/2009, 08:06 PM
I would rather play at night than 11AM.

Fair Park at night was an iffy proposition during my single days when I didn't think about the things that could happen to me by being in the wrong place at the proverbial wrong time.

Though I haven't been there in over a decade, unless the City of Dallas has done some major overhaul of the area surrounding Fair Park, I wouldn't want to be walking around after sundown . . .

WA. Sooner
10/29/2009, 12:57 AM
It should be started at high noon every year.
It should be called Red River Shootout.

silverwheels
10/29/2009, 01:04 AM
As long as the game is at the Cotton Bowl, the start time will be at 11 AM or 2:30 PM (provided the game is on ABC). And that is okay with me. That's just less time I have to wait for the game to start.

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2009, 03:40 AM
It should be started at high noon every year.
It should be called Red River Shootout.

Yep...not calling it Shootout is some pansy shat.

BlackChipBJ
10/29/2009, 04:03 AM

We stuck around long after the game. I guess we finally left around 11pm or a little later. Anyway, walking back to the church parking lot, we were hit up twice for money, and being a little drunk, we jacked with the people asking for money. Telling them we had just spent it all at the fair and we needed some gas money to get home. Probably not the smartest thing we've ever done.

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2009, 04:08 AM
I woulda told 'em I was just gonna ask them for some change.

BlackChipBJ
10/29/2009, 04:12 AM
I woulda told 'em I was just gonna ask them for some change.

It's late, and my post didn't come out like I wanted it to. We did actually ask them if they could spare a little gas money. No luck.

flopshotjoe99
10/29/2009, 09:35 AM
Fair Park at night was an iffy proposition during my single days when I didn't think about the things that could happen to me by being in the wrong place at the proverbial wrong time.

Though I haven't been there in over a decade, unless the City of Dallas has done some major overhaul of the area surrounding Fair Park, I wouldn't want to be walking around after sundown . . .

it hasn't improved.:O

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2009, 09:47 AM
lol

if it is a night game, I'm for sure NOT going

good luck getting stabbed by Obama's finest people hanging around Fair Park

;)

I had to read this one twice.

What exactly does that mean, Jlew?

:pop:

this should be good

stoopified
10/29/2009, 09:48 AM
Dals ?Dangerous after dark?All this time I thought the whole state of Texas was the land of milk and honey,overflowing with peace and serenity.I guess that is just Austin. :D

Collier11
10/29/2009, 09:52 AM
Thats just Lids office after dark :eek: