PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Sonic founder passes

Okla-homey
10/28/2009, 06:45 AM
Sonic founder Troy N. Smith passed away Monday.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4066/old21444279640x480.jpg
Troy N. Smith

Smith, 87, was a great Oklahoman who built a fast-food empire practically from scratch. Whether you like Sonic or not, you may be interested in reading the background information below regarding the development of the ubiquitous chain.

Smith, Sonic's founder, returned to his hometown of Shawnee, Oklahoma after World War II. He became a milkman and then decided to work delivering bread because it wasn't as heavy. He soon bought a little cafe in Shawnee called the Cottage Cafe. Before long he sold this and opened a restaurant on the edge of Shawnee called Troy's Pan Full of Chicken.

This property included a small root beer stand that was called the Top Hat Drive-In which he opened in 1953. After realizing that the stand was averaging $700.00 a week in the sale of root beer, hamburgers and hot dogs Smith decided to focus on the more profitable drive-in and scrapped plans to expand the restaurant into a fancier steakhouse.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6963/oldsonicmenu.jpg
Old Sonic menu board at the Oklahoma History Center

Originally at the Top Hat customers would park anywhere on the gravel lot and walk up to place their orders. However, on a trip to Louisiana, Smith saw a drive-in that utilized speakers for ordering. He realized that he could increase his sales if he could control the parking and have the customers order from speakers at their cars. Carhops would then deliver the food to the customers. Smith borrowed several cars from a friend who owned a used car lot to establish a layout for controlled parking.

He also had some so called "jukebox boys" come in and wire an intercom system in the parking lot. Sales tripled immediately and his little root beer stand was a huge success.

Entrepreneur Charles Woodrow Pappe stopped by chance at the Shawnee drive-in and was very impressed. He got out of his car and began to take measurements of the stalls, trying to figure out why they were not all the same size, assuming that it was an essential ingredient of the business plan. Smith came out and introduced himself and explained that the stalls were different sizes simply because different-sized cars had been used when he laid everything out. The two men hit it off and negotiated the first franchise location in Woodward in 1956.

By 1958, two more drive-ins were built in Enid and Stillwater. Upon learning that the Top Hat name was already trademarked, Troy Smith and Charles Pappe changed the name to Sonic. The new name worked with their existing slogan "Service with the Speed of Sound". After the name change, the first Sonic sign was installed at the former Top-Hat Drive-In Stillwater.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4743/old800pxsonicdrivein.jpg

This location has been considered to be the first Sonic Drive-In because the first Sonic sign was installed there, and the original sign can still be seen in Stillwater. While Smith and Pappe were being asked to help open new franchise locations, however, there was no royalty plan in place.

The pair decided to have their paper company charge an extra penny for each Sonic label hamburger bag they sold. The proceeds were to split half for Smith and half for Pappe. The first franchise contracts under this plan were drawn up by Smith's landlord O.K. Winterringer, who was also a lawyer. At the time, there was no joint marketing plan or standardized menu and few operating requirements.

Sonic became a publicly traded company in 1991, and in 1994 the corporation had finished renegoiating the franchise agreements with its franchisees. In 1995 J. Clifford Hudson had taken over the reins as President and CEO, and Sonic Industries became Sonic Corporation.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5205/oldsonicdriveincorporat.jpg
Sonic corporate headquarters in OKC

During the mid-1990s, Sonic was opening 100 - 150 new restaurants a year. Then company reports 3511 locations in 42 states as of this writing.

Smith is survived by his wife, Dollie, a son and daughter, as well as several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

The company said a memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at the First Christian Church of Edmond.

batonrougesooner
10/28/2009, 07:19 AM
Can I get some ranch with my cheddar peppers?

swardboy
10/28/2009, 08:13 AM
Enjoy that Happy Hour in the sky, Troy.

Okla-homey
10/28/2009, 03:30 PM
It should would be cool if they erected a tombstone that looked like one of those Sonic menuboards with the speaker and call button.

Turd_Ferguson
10/28/2009, 03:49 PM
It should would be cool if they erected a tombstone that looked like one of those Sonic menuboards with the speaker and call button.with a car window and a tray hanging from it.

StoopTroup
10/28/2009, 04:43 PM
I think I'll stop for a Limeaid on the way Home.

10/28/2009, 06:13 PM
I grew up going to the Woodward Sonic. I only hope they plant him with roller scates on. What a great business mind. Good night, 44 oz. Inventor.

GrapevineSooner
10/28/2009, 06:17 PM
I hope God has rewarded him with 72 car hops.

Okla-homey
10/28/2009, 06:53 PM
Growing up in Ardmore, I remember a couple things from Sonic.

1. They used to hang these brightly colored plastic animals dealios from the cups. Kids could save them and could string them all together to make long chains of plastic animals. Prolly nixed 'em because a kid could stick one up his nose. dang lawyers.:mad:

2. They had a cigarette machine inside and one could order a coke and a pack of Marlboros.

10/28/2009, 06:57 PM
Holy COW, Homey! I remember all of that now that you bring it up!

Smoke and a coke, bra.

10/28/2009, 07:26 PM
Now that you mentioned that, I remember doctor's offices with those sand-filled public ashtrays. They had them in each lobby.

In a HOSPITAL!

I also remember the cigg machines were everywhere; including the hospital.

10/28/2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.flippers.com/images/Wurl-CigaretteMachine2.JPG

As with all self-service machines of the time, I always pressed return and checked the return change dealio.

I once got a canadian dime from a candy machine and was on top of the world for weeks! I still have that dime somewhere.

Otherwise, it is just a coin.

stoopified
10/29/2009, 09:00 AM
RIP SONICMAN

stoopified
10/29/2009, 09:10 AM
I just realized that Sonic got to Blackwell in a hurry. I recall going to Sonic on Doolin in 1964(at age 4).That was only 6 years after it all began.In Ponca City (where I lived from '74-'08) we had THREE Sonics(5TH and Hartford,N.14th,S.14th).Man I have ate a lot of Sonic burgers,fries,onion rings,pickelos.

I well remember the little brightly colored plastic monkeys,elephants etc that were clipped to the cups.I'm thinking Sonic for lunch.

Condescending Sooner
10/29/2009, 09:47 AM
Does anyone remember when they served Lazey Dazey's? They were little meat pies that were awesome.

Of course, I may have dreamed it.

StoopTroup
10/29/2009, 10:29 AM
I remember they had those Barrel full of Monkey type plastic toys they handed out as Homey described. They did indeed have to quit giving them away as they were deemed a choking hazard. They ruined Cracker Jacks too.

Bastages!

TheHumanAlphabet
10/30/2009, 09:59 AM
Sorry to hear of a death. But after what Sonic tried to do to the Classic 50s owner on Lindsey, I never go to a Sonic. They are one mean company.