PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if im wrong

Collier11
10/27/2009, 02:02 PM
Im seriously asking, these are the changes that I have seen over the last 9 games with BV since our D has been playing better. Have we been doing any of these the entire time and just doing them better now and I just didnt notice or are we finally making actual changes compared to the last 2-3 yrs?

1)Running a true nickel package- No more LB on the field in passing downs or if it is a LB it is a hybrid Ibiloye

2) Going man on the other teams best WR, I know Bjack had bump coverage on Shipley and Briscoe, I dont recall us doing this under BV before this yr?

3) More DB blitzes

4) More DE playing standing up and more DT playing DE, I guess this goes with a 3-4 theme?

5) Anything else we are doing diff that I didnt mention?

goingoneight
10/27/2009, 02:07 PM
The nickel isn't new at all... they did this a lot with Nic Harris and Lewis Baker.

The press coverage is kinda new-ish. When we had slower, more inexperienced corners we got roasted on the press coverage.

As for the better play of the defense overall, it's just experienced personnel.

Collier11
10/27/2009, 02:08 PM
I know the nickel isnt new as a defensive package that we run, I just thought we were using more adept personel in it like we did back in the day with Shelby

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/27/2009, 02:16 PM
I do know we have started going man on other team's best receivers, we did it with Dez and Crabtree last year and it worked out. I know this has changed a lot of things for the D because Dom and BJack aren't getting beat for long td's and they can't trust them more on an island so to speak.

I have not noticed the DE standing up since the days of Devorcek and Cody and I like the change. It has created a 3-4 type of theme but we did use this a small bit in the MNC with Beal, English, and GK(he got an INT from dropping into coverage in the MNC).

I do believe this is also a new thing to go with a true nickel package and taking a LB off the field. I do remember seeing Box/Balogun on the field on these types of downs late in the year last year.

primetime43
10/27/2009, 02:17 PM
I love the 3-4ish scheme he uses with Beal and English. They are both athletic enough to drop into coverage. I think he is def using his nickel package better. Finally realizing that Reynolds can't cover the pass.

Collier11
10/27/2009, 02:20 PM
I know that Bjack is probably playing his way into being drafted, even if it is 4th or 5th round

My Opinion Matters
10/27/2009, 02:20 PM
You're wrong, because you're always wrong about everything. BOOOO COLLIE!

SoonerAtKU
10/27/2009, 02:23 PM
Standing a talented DE up and walking him to attack from other angles is not new for Bob Stoops. He did it with Jevon Kearse at Florida, with Dan Cody, and might have done it at KSU, but who knows.

It's great to have talented people with size at a flex position like that, and we saw how well it works on the other side of the ball when Gresham was healthy.

Collier11
10/27/2009, 02:27 PM
You're wrong, because you're always wrong about everything. BOOOO COLLIE!

you dont have to tell everyone, I was on to something here :mad:

My Opinion Matters
10/27/2009, 02:35 PM
you dont have to tell everyone, I was on to something here :mad:

I can't hide that I'm your jilted ex-lover any longer! :mad:

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2009, 02:50 PM
Standing a talented DE up and walking him to attack from other angles is not new for Bob Stoops. He did it with Jevon Kearse at Florida, with Dan Cody, and might have done it at KSU, but who knows.

It's great to have talented people with size at a flex position like that, and we saw how well it works on the other side of the ball when Gresham was healthy.

Did it with Jimmy Wilkerson a lot as well.

rawlingsHOH
10/27/2009, 02:54 PM
1)Running a true nickel package- No more LB on the field in passing downs or if it is a LB it is a hybrid Ibiloye
Clayton plays a base nickel against most spread teams. But starting in the 09 Texas game, OU started subbing out their Mike (Reynolds) for Ibioye, to offset Texas' 4-WR look. They continued it against KU.

2) Going man on the other teams best WR, I know Bjack had bump coverage on Shipley and Briscoe, I dont recall us doing this under BV before this yr?
The boundary corner has often lined up in bump coverage. If you watch the 08 KU game, in Norman, you can watch Jackson getting lit up for about 200 yards in this scheme.

We see it often utilized it what is called Cover-3 Cloud. But it is really kinda of a man/zone combo, where everyone else on the defense is playing zone.

3) More DB blitzes
Maybe the frequency is slightly higher. ?

4) More DE playing standing up and more DT playing DE, I guess this goes with a 3-4 theme?
Yes! We started doing this midway thru the 2008 season, if I recall correctly. We'll go DE in a 2-pt. at a traditional position. And we will also go DE 2-pt. in a "spinner" role, more like a blitzing linebacker. Though, I believe the "spinner" role has dated back to Dan Cody in 2004.

ouwapiti
10/27/2009, 02:58 PM
simple....... it aint the x's and o's.... its the jimmy's and joe's

Collier11
10/27/2009, 03:07 PM
Its the Jimmys and Joes using their brains, weve always had the athletes, now we got football players :)

C&CDean
10/27/2009, 03:12 PM
FIRE VULNERABLES11!1!!!

beer4me
10/27/2009, 03:14 PM
I can't hide that I'm your jilted ex-lover any longer! :mad:

TMI :D

Collier11
10/27/2009, 03:23 PM
MOM as I like to call him, that guy is a giver but you can only deal with the spitting for so long ya know

OUmillenium
10/27/2009, 07:40 PM
I think the increase in press coverage is helping. Thanks for listening to us Brent!

JLEW1818
10/27/2009, 07:46 PM
we are making good changes

but I'd like to make changes before we lose the game ...

stoopified
10/27/2009, 11:10 PM
we are making good changes

but I'd like to make changes before we lose the game ...It helps that in Franks and Jackson we have the best CB duo since Strait-Thompson.

btk108
10/27/2009, 11:19 PM
all I know is this is the defense I've been jonesing for....always have loved the D in football no matter what level. And yes, Dean...if BV couldn't get the job done...I'm one of the first ones to say let's find someone who can. I thought he had enough time to figure it....looks like he has....and if he keeps it up....they wont' have to fire him.....some other school is going to come get him.

Collier11
10/28/2009, 09:14 AM
Id always much rather see a 14-10 game than a 61-41 game, although a 60-0 OU win trumps all :D

KYHonorarySooner
10/28/2009, 10:39 AM
I know that Bjack is probably playing his way into being drafted, even if it is 4th or 5th round

He absolutely is. He was a stud in the Texas game (the only game I have been able to watch living in Kentucky). I got so jacked up watching them try to throw at him and BJ just shutting the door. Not sure what year he is but if he returns (has the opportunity to return) next year he may be talked about in the same breathe as the other top corners in the country.

cjames317
10/28/2009, 10:44 AM
Jackson is a senior

Collier11
10/28/2009, 10:45 AM
Next yr Franks and Hurst should be good again

Sooner04
10/28/2009, 04:48 PM
Come up with your own thread titles, Collier!

Collier11
10/28/2009, 05:05 PM
Heh, just following my mentor