PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan AJA+

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/27/2009, 12:21 PM
They are live tonight at the Dodge Theater here in PHX, at 7:30. They promise to play the AJA album in its entirety, plus other selected favorites. That's good enough to go see/hear it. I'll give ya a report tonight or tomorrow.

dolemitesooner
10/27/2009, 12:24 PM
What the **** is a steely dan aja+

10/27/2009, 12:30 PM
What the **** is a steely dan aja+How are ya, big guy? You ain't been around much lately, at least under the dolemite handle?

dolemitesooner
10/27/2009, 12:32 PM
I only have one handle

StoopTroup
10/27/2009, 01:23 PM
Aja was the best album they ever did Doleo.

They got lots of mainstream airplay with that one.

You should check it out. It's got some smoove *** pimp Courvoisier riffs.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/07/26/alg_lewinski.jpg

Jacie
10/27/2009, 08:07 PM
Aja was the best album they ever did Doleo.

They got lots of mainstream airplay with that one.

You should check it out. It's got some smoove *** pimp Courvoisier riffs.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/07/26/alg_lewinski.jpg

Some of us SD fans kinda liked Pretzel Logic and Royal Scam more . . .

picasso
10/27/2009, 08:25 PM
They are live tonight at the Dodge Theater here in PHX, at 7:30. They promise to play the AJA album in its entirety, plus other selected favorites. That's good enough to go see/hear it. I'll give ya a report tonight or tomorrow.

saweet!

10/28/2009, 02:05 AM
They played as well as could be imagined in your wildest concert dreams. I sat about 40 yds from the stage, I would guess. The band had 13 members, and Donald Fagan said to the audience this particular band was probably the best they have ever had together at one time. He, and Walter Becker, 2 extra guitarrists, an extra piano player, a 3-girl chorus, 2 saxophonists, a trombone player and a trumpet player, and the drummer. They did start out by playing the whole AJA album, with the song AJA making the house go completely cuckoo. Then, they played "other selected favorites", including virtually every song I could remember that I wanted to hear. Yes, "Hey 19, Time Out of Mind, Dirty Work, Don't Take Me Alive, Kid Charlemagne", and many more. They played solid for over 2 hrs. One of the most excellent acts you could see/hear. If you get a chance GO SEE THEM! You sure won't regret it.

10/28/2009, 04:57 AM
I saw them in Dallas many years ago... very good show. Great musicians in a very laid-back, pure music show. Not the fireworks and big screens of U2, but they really present a quality show for us music lovers.

StoopTroup
10/28/2009, 08:54 AM
Some of us SD fans kinda liked Pretzel Logic and Royal Scam more . . .

Tru Dat but Aja had da kinda smoove a Pimp needs fo he takes his ho out for a booin'.

49r
10/28/2009, 10:10 AM
Gaucho and Royal Scam are both very tight albums - every bit as good as Aja, IMO.

King Crimson
10/28/2009, 11:48 AM
Gaucho and Royal Scam are both very tight albums - every bit as good as Aja, IMO.

agree.....i'm not the biggest Steely Dan fan who ever lived, but...

i wouldn't choose Aja as SD's best. most popular, sure. but it's debatable about "best". it's a studio masterpiece for sure....hard pressed to find a piece of vinyl that sounded that good. state of the art. Aja does have one of my fave SD tunes "Josie".

Xstnlsooner
10/28/2009, 11:48 AM
One of my all-time favorite albums! Would have loved to have
seen that show!!

10/28/2009, 11:51 AM
I saw them in Dallas many years ago... very good show. Great musicians in a very laid-back, pure music show. Not the fireworks and big screens of U2, but they really present a quality show for us music lovers.There wasn't much in the way of theatrics, like big screens and such, but they weren't particularly laid back last night. It was more like wide-open energy, IMHO.

10/28/2009, 06:19 PM
They played solid for over 2 hrs. One of the most excellent acts you could see/hear. If you get a chance GO SEE THEM! You sure won't regret it.

I remember knowing EVERY song they sang. There were a few I thought, "wow... i had no idea Steely Dann sang that"

For any classic rocker out there, it is a must see.

A Sooner in Texas
10/29/2009, 12:02 AM
Sounds like an awesome show, RLIMC. I remember when I first heard Aja and thinking "Wow." Still love it. And "Josie" is one of my SD faves.

OUAlumni1990
10/29/2009, 12:09 AM
Saw 'em here at an outdoor concert in Houston back in 2006. They were great.

OklaPony
10/29/2009, 08:27 AM
They played as well as could be imagined in your wildest concert dreams. I sat about 40 yds from the stage, I would guess. The band had 13 members, and Donald Fagan said to the audience this particular band was probably the best they have ever had together at one time. He, and Walter Becker, 2 extra guitarrists, an extra piano player, a 3-girl chorus, 2 saxophonists, a trombone player and a trumpet player, and the drummer. They did start out by playing the whole AJA album, with the song AJA making the house go completely cuckoo. Then, they played "other selected favorites", including virtually every song I could remember that I wanted to hear. Yes, "Hey 19, Time Out of Mind, Dirty Work, Don't Take Me Alive, Kid Charlemagne", and many more. They played solid for over 2 hrs. One of the most excellent acts you could see/hear. If you get a chance GO SEE THEM! You sure won't regret it.
Sounds about like their normal touring instrumentation, I bet it was awesome, indeed. If you haven't picked up their live DVD, "Two Against Nature" it's well worth the price. Fabulous production, I highly recommend it.