PDA

View Full Version : E.Z. Million dies at age 68

nighttrain12
10/27/2009, 12:54 AM
Anybody here ever meet him? What was he like?

http://www.newsok.com/longtime-activist-ou-supporter-e.z.-million-dies/article/3412266?custom_click=headlines_widget

Longtime activist, OU supporter E.Z. Million dies
E.Z. Million wanted Sooner- Longhorn game moved
By John Rohde
Published: October 27, 2009

Elmer Zen "E.Z.” Million, a multifaceted activist who pushed hard for the Oklahoma-Texas football game to be played in Norman every other year, died Saturday in his Norman home. He was 68.

full article at:

http://www.newsok.com/longtime-activist-ou-supporter-e.z.-million-dies/article/3412266?custom_click=headlines_widget

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2009, 01:28 AM
Always sad when any Sooner passes on.

sooner59
10/27/2009, 01:51 AM
I have heard of this guy before.

Awesome name, BTW.

Soonerus
10/27/2009, 02:03 AM
His dad, Elmer Million was one of my law professers....

BlackChipBJ
10/27/2009, 03:49 AM
My thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

prrriiide
10/27/2009, 05:09 AM
He had a great uncle named Tennyson Million. He signed his name 10,000,000.

OUHOMER
10/27/2009, 05:16 AM
Isnt he the one that keep trying to get the OU/tx game moved to a home and home instead of the game in dallas.

budbarrybob
10/27/2009, 05:26 AM
Isnt he the one that keep trying to get the OU/tx game moved to a home and home instead of the game in dallas.

Bingo!

NCSooner18
10/27/2009, 07:52 AM
Met him when I was a kid but don't remember what he was like. I think I was in Boy Scouts with one of his sons. And I think one of his sons played college ball somewhere.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/27/2009, 07:57 AM
Always sad to see a fellow Pride alum die. I definitely think OU/Texas belongs in the Cotton Bowl, but his heart was in the right place. RIP EZ.

okienole3
10/28/2009, 06:35 AM
He got some vindication the week before Texas when Bob said he wouldn't mind a home and home every once in a while.

OklaPony
10/28/2009, 08:03 AM
Met him when I was a kid but don't remember what he was like. I think I was in Boy Scouts with one of his sons. And I think one of his sons played college ball somewhere.
Our families attended the same church and I went to high school with both of the sons. The younger one played football at Duke.

Thoughts and prayers for the family...

Denton_Sooner
10/28/2009, 08:38 AM
When I was at OU, I worked for the Daily in the ad shop... EZ walked into the office one day, walked right up to me, and said... " My name is EZ Million, and I want to buy ad about moving the OU/TX game out of Dallas"

He then spent the next 15 minutes throwing out numbers about how much money the game brought to Dallas, and how much it could bring to Norman.. When he handed me his card with the name EZ Million, I didn't know if it was a prank or if the guy was serious.

He never did buy the ad, but one thing is for sure, I will never forget that conversation.

Very sad to hear of him passing..

TUSooner
10/28/2009, 02:15 PM
I always wondered, as a kid anyway, how OU could play at the State Fair of +exas, in the heart of +exas, and still call it a "neutral" site.
I still think +exans must snicker behind our backs every time they think about that.
Maybe EZ was right.

Jacie
10/28/2009, 06:26 PM
Why playing in Dallas is playing at a neutral site:

Most of the residents, including the ones who actually live inside the city limits, not just the suburbanites, neither know nor care where the game is being played that weekend, unless they happen to be going to the fair that Saturday. Then they know it will be slightly more crowded and there will be a whole lot of people dressed in red or orange yelling at each other. I speak from firsthand experience as a resident of Dallas for 11 years. Most people who live in the state of Texas are not fans of the University of sa*et nor care what happens to their football team. Mention the Dallas Cowboys, however, and you'll get a reaction, either positive or negative, but definitely an opinion.

10/28/2009, 06:47 PM
When we win that game "deep in the heart of Texas" it allows us to cherry pick. Either play for us or lose to us more than not... the option is yours.

EZ was all about the $$$ of bringing the revenue to oklahoma. Can't say I fault him there, but both programs bring some hype bling from Dallas.

John Kochtoston
10/28/2009, 07:09 PM
I hate to speak ill of the dead, but EZ's plan to move OU/Texas out of the Cotton Bowl had one huge flaw: if it went home-and-home, it would just be another home game for OU. Norman/OKC wouldn't get the revenue from 45,000 Texans coming north every other year.

OUmillenium
10/28/2009, 08:55 PM
Agreed. As a kid I hated the idea of OU having to play in Dallas each year. Now, with the hype of the game but most importantly the recruiting aid it can be, I do not mind it.

stoopified
10/28/2009, 10:33 PM
RIP EZ

Boomer Sooner

OklaPony
10/29/2009, 08:14 AM
I hate to speak ill of the dead, but EZ's plan to move OU/Texas out of the Cotton Bowl had one huge flaw: if it went home-and-home, it would just be another home game for OU. Norman/OKC wouldn't get the revenue from 45,000 Texans coming north every other year.
Not that I'm terribly supportive of the idea but there definitely would be some financial benefit from the revenues of an extra home game every other year. I suppose each school could hold out some extra seats for the visitors as opposed to the normal number of seats available.

betterstill
10/29/2009, 09:51 AM
Interesting that Boren's two biggest detractors died within about a month of each other. The other one, Michael Wright, died in the OU library.

TUSooner
10/29/2009, 09:56 AM
Interesting that Boren's two biggest detractors died within about a month of each other. The other one, Michael Wright, died in the OU library.

And just when Boren is associating with the anti-Christ Obama !!!:eek: :eek: !!!

Doyen
10/29/2009, 10:43 AM
Why playing in Dallas is playing at a neutral site:

Most of the residents, including the ones who actually live inside the city limits, not just the suburbanites, neither know nor care where the game is being played that weekend, unless they happen to be going to the fair that Saturday. Then they know it will be slightly more crowded and there will be a whole lot of people dressed in red or orange yelling at each other. I speak from firsthand experience as a resident of Dallas for 11 years. Most people who live in the state of Texas are not fans of the University of sa*et nor care what happens to their football team. Mention the Dallas Cowboys, however, and you'll get a reaction, either positive or negative, but definitely an opinion.

^ I diasagree adamantly.

Lived here for 12 years and most everyone in the Dallas area braces for that weekend. They either love it, or hate it. Those who love it usually partake in the activities and are usually fans of the teams. Those who hate it stay home to avoid the traffic mess, avoid the bars and restuarants that are overfull, even in the suburbs.

"slightly more crowded" is an huge understament ...unless you're talking about Barnes and Noble, Quiznos, or something