PDA

View Full Version : Any sports gambling experts on here? (not looking for picks)

OU_PhD
10/26/2009, 06:01 PM
Hello, everyone.. I am an old hand at sports betting but have never actually had the option of betting on quarters of football like I do now with my offshore online sports book. I have bet a lot of halftime lines but never quarters.

My question is this, although it pertains to tonight's MNF game, I ask as a generalization: why would anyone bet Eagles -9 (-115) when they could get Eagles -.5 (-110) 4th Quarter? It's lower risk and higher reward and both based on the result of the game. Is there something I'm missing?

This:

Philadelphia Eagles -9 (-115)
Football - NFL Lines NFL - Week 7 - Point Spread Competitor: Washington Redskins Mon@5:35p
Risk US$ 80.00 to win US$ 60.96

or this:

Football - NFL Quarter Lines (4Q) Point Spread
Philadelphia Eagles -½ (-110) Mon@5:35p
Competitor: Washington Redskins
Risk US$ 80.00 to win US$ 70.27

Why does anyone bet the result when the 4th quarter line is lower and pays more?

htownsooner7
10/26/2009, 06:06 PM
Because the 4 q play is a complete crapshoot. You have no idea. What if Wash opens up the 4th q on Philly's 1? You probably made a dumb bet. What if Philly is up 40 and tries to not to score and just kill the clock. Neither team scores, and you lose.

OU_PhD
10/26/2009, 06:14 PM
Because the 4 q play is a complete crapshoot. You have no idea. What if Wash opens up the 4th q on Philly's 1? You probably made a dumb bet. What if Philly is up 40 and tries to not to score and just kill the clock. Neither team scores, and you lose.

Well, firstly, given the odds, it's not any more of a "crapshoot" than Eagles -9 on the result. But I didn't realize it was a line for the standalone quarter, rather, I thought it was for the overall score, obviously a big difference, either way, I have not made any "dumb" bets, I was just asking for a clarification as the website I bet on does not give a really clear explanation. Thanks for the help.

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 06:17 PM
okay

if I'm reading this right

you really won't know what the halftime line is until half time

say Phily is up 30-0 at half

the halftime line will probably be favoring Washington

just b/c its "halftime" does not mean it counts for the entire game (second half points only)

so for example say you take the 4th quarter line, and its Phily -3 points

the other 3 quarter mean absolutely nothing. The 4th quarter is the only one that matters.

so basically the score would be zero to zero (if you bet on 4th quarter, the previous quarters don't mean anything point wise, it starts over)

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 06:19 PM
i mean u can bet on quarter lines and half lines right now

but it is way more risky

b/c the lines will be adjusted according to how the game is going, if u wait

but yes, if you put in a bet right now for the 4th quarter for Phily, it would be phily -1/2

but say Phily is crushing them the first 3 quarters? and starters don't play in the 4th

only the 4th quarter points will matter... 0-0 to start the 4th

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 08:04 PM
Play OU every week for the rest of the year.....Bet with your heart Baby!

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 08:07 PM
Play OU every week for the rest of the year.....Bet with your heart Baby!

If you would have done it since Bomar was booted you'd be a rich man. OU is #1 in the nation at covering the number since 06.

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 08:15 PM
If you would have done it since Bomar was booted you'd be a rich man. OU is #1 in the nation at covering the number since 06.

Yep and OU with a great Defense nearly guarantees they will cover at home.

JLEW1818
10/27/2009, 12:43 AM
in 2008 OU covered like all 12 games they won... (maybe just 11,... Kansas game)

I never bet on OU

but if you bet on OU every game last year, u made bank bank bank bank

SoonerMavrick25
10/27/2009, 09:10 AM
Also last year the overs were pretty safe bets, this year unders have been lights out. I actually like betting on OU because I feel like it's the one team I really have a strong feel for. But if I don't like the line I won't bet it.

As for as 4th quarter bets, I would think smart money would be on the team that you feel like is likely to lose, because they would be the aggressors in that quarter trying to score.