PDA

View Full Version : Venerables HAS to GO

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/26/2009, 10:49 AM
And I don't mean that negatively. I mean he will be hired by another school ad a head coach after the season is over. Well, as long as the defense keeps playing the way they are.

Who does OU hire or promote to DC?

Does Auburn have any DC's they want to get rid of?

TMcGee86
10/26/2009, 11:03 AM
FIRE [BV'S replacement] NOW!!!

(just getting ready for next season.) ;)

ouleaf
10/26/2009, 11:04 AM
If it isn't Shipp that is promoted to DC, I'd imagine Stoops already has a few guys in mind for the job. I personally like what the Ariz. St DC has done this year. I think Bray is his name.

I think a change up would be good though. Teams that prepare for us have pretty much seen the same defense year in and year out, which i think has made us a little predictable on that side of the ball.

Pigface1
10/26/2009, 11:07 AM
Who does OU hire or promote to DC?

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/61569_BillCowher-.jpg

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/26/2009, 11:11 AM
I'm thinkin a certain Coach Ditka formerly of.....Da Bears

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 11:11 AM
Shipp would be a great choice, and is due to be a DC. One consistent thing year-after-year has been the development and play of his DL.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/26/2009, 11:16 AM
Shipp would be a great choice, and is due to be a DC. One consistent thing year-after-year has been the development and play of his DL.

Totally agree that Shipp has done a great job and is due but on the flip side, in a small way I'd like to see us hire outside of the current staff and try to find a proven play caller and someone who has a built defensive scheme.

But if Venables didn't get the Clemson job last year as the D was really starting to play well......will he really get a HC job this year? I'm still very skeptical that he will.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 11:37 AM
Totally agree that Shipp has done a great job and is due but on the flip side, in a small way I'd like to see us hire outside of the current staff and try to find a proven play caller and someone who has a built defensive scheme.

But if Venables didn't get the Clemson job last year as the D was really starting to play well......will he really get a HC job this year? I'm still very skeptical that he will.

Looking around, there are only a few jobs out there to be had. By conference, I don't see anything in the PAC 10, even Wazzu is going to give Wolff a few years up there. In the Big 10/11, Zook is on the hotseat at Illinois. In the SEC, I don't see anywhere for him to go. In the ACC, Virginia would have been open, but they are playing better (I think). Kragthorpe is under fire in Louisville, and that would be the only place in the Big East for him to go. In OUr conference, Colorado will likely can Hawkins. Non-BCS, Hawaii looks awful, and that may be the only place for him to go. KSTATE fans don't want him back up there, for some reason. My guess is that he would be a candidate for the Colorado or Illinois jobs, IMHO.

Do we do like * did and go get a high-profile DC somewhere? Do we get a guy who was a good DC, but just didn't pan out as a Head Coach? Do we get a young hot-shot?

NorthernIowaSooner
10/26/2009, 11:38 AM
mark stoops

sooneron
10/26/2009, 11:41 AM
Go get tcu's DC.

I agree that Shipp is awesome, but we don't know what his value is, as far as schemes are concerned. If he leaves, we will miss BV's recruiting.

ouwapiti
10/26/2009, 11:47 AM
tcu's DC is patterson, the head coach , i think

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 11:49 AM
mark stoops

Thanks, forgot about that!

sooner59
10/26/2009, 11:55 AM
Didn't Bob Stoops win a national title as DC for Florida?

I wonder if he has the time like Patterson to be the HC and DC....

SoonerProphet
10/26/2009, 12:09 PM
dick bumpas is the corned dog dc.

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 12:12 PM
FIRE DICK BUMPAS!

olevetonahill
10/26/2009, 01:35 PM
Cant believe you guys Over looking the Obvious :rolleyes:

If BV goes Heres the New guy

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=50194

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 01:37 PM

:D :D :D

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 01:38 PM
how bout the Iowa DC ??

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 02:06 PM
how bout the Iowa DC ??

Their D is really good, but I don't know if the guy would leave. Their D was pretty good last year, they just had about the same luck in their losses as we did. Their 4 losses, I think, came by a total of like 10 points. Iowa is going to be the next power in the Big 10/11. tOSU looks to be headed in the wrong direction. Wisky is unimpressive. Who knows how long Joe Pa will be around. Michigan looks better, but are still a couple years away from being any good again.

RedstickSooner
10/26/2009, 02:12 PM
Rocky Calmus. We hire him now as LB coach, groom him for it, and eventually give him the defense, just as we eventually give the O to Heupel.

BASSooner
10/26/2009, 03:19 PM
mark stoops

Bingo

also a DB fanatic. OUr coverage problems would be saved. Also contributed to miami's NC in 2001 (DB coach)

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 03:25 PM
Bingo

also a DB fanatic. OUr coverage problems would be saved. Also contributed to miami's NC in 2001 (DB coach)

I bet a lot of teams wish they had OU's coverage "problems".

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 03:32 PM
It won't be Shipp. It will be a dark day if BV leaves. He has more fire than anyone on the staff. We would definately need to shop externally to find one. I kinda like what the Defensive Co. (coach'es dad) at Tennessee has done. How about getting an NFL guy? I'm sure we could pay every bit as good.

BASSooner
10/26/2009, 03:33 PM
It won't be Shipp. It will be a dark day if BV leaves. He has more fire than anyone on the staff. We would definately need to shop externally to find one. I kinda like what the Defensive Co. (coach'es dad) at Tennessee has done. How about getting an NFL guy? I'm sure we could pay every bit as good.
who all is left in the Ryan family???

C&CDean
10/26/2009, 03:42 PM
Kevin Wilson will get a HC job before BV.

starclassic tama
10/26/2009, 03:43 PM
i like the idea of going after disgruntled or fired NFL assistants when the time comes to replace one of ours. worked out pretty well for miami's O.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 09:01 PM

LOL, but I don't like coaching football enough to even want to do it. :D

Basketball I like to coach, coaching football is a grind.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 09:05 PM
For the record: I am 100% behind BV getting a head coaching job and getting outta Dodge. ;) :D

I say this while acknowledging his D has played well for most of this season, and really well as of late. Still, he has been so inconsistent, or should I say his defenses have been so inconsistent during his tenure I won't shed even one tear if he leaves.

Please let him leave.

OUAlumni1990
10/26/2009, 09:11 PM
For the record: I am 100% behind BV getting a head job and getting outta Dodge. ;) :D

:eek:

I thot that was ms venables job :rolleyes:

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 09:25 PM
Kevin Wilson will get a HC job before BV.

I'd hate to think we would have to replace both of them after this year. That would SUCK!

ocsooner
10/26/2009, 09:27 PM
I'd hate to think we would have to replace both of them after this year. That would SUCK!

I would think that with Josh, we have a good OC in waiting. I don't really have a good picture of DC. I like the talk of going outside to get some fresh ideas on the defense. Mark Stoops would be really cool.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 09:28 PM
I'd love to think we would get to replace both of them after this year. That would be a welcome breath of fresh air!

I know right. ;)

olevetonahill
10/26/2009, 09:28 PM
LOL, but I don't like coaching football enough to even want to do it. :D

Basketball I like to coach, coaching football is a grind.

Caint spek Ya back Bro I runned out :cool:

But Ya know I had to toss that at ya :D :D :D :D :D

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 09:53 PM
I know right. ;)

You are to hard on BV Curly. Remember, it's not his fault Roy Williams, Rocky Calmus and Torrance Marshall moved on.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 09:54 PM
You are to hard on BV Curly. Remember, it's not his fault Roy Williams, Rocky Calmus and Torrance Marshall moved on.

Nor is it his fault that Mike Stoops moved on. ;)

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 10:00 PM
Nor is it his fault that Mike Stoops moved on. ;)

I must have missed it. What has Mike done without Roy, Rocky and Torrance? ;)

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 10:01 PM
I must have missed it. What has Mike done without Roy, Rocky and Torrance? ;)

Unlike BV he managed to land a head coaching job outta the deal. ;)

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 10:03 PM
Unlike BV he managed to land a head coaching job outta the deal. ;)

It isn't BV's fault his last name isn't Stoops. ;)

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 10:05 PM
There are a lot of head coaching jobs out there and only two of them held by Stoops boys. That leaves a lot of jobs for BV to go get.

TXBOOMER
10/26/2009, 10:17 PM
There are a lot of head coaching jobs out there and only two of them held by Stoops boys. That leaves a lot of jobs for BV to go get.

He makes more money than most of the Head Coaches. It will be interesting, but it wouldn't surprise me for him to get a big time job if the D keeps it up. I believe they will because they are a very talented and athletic group.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 10:22 PM
{Fingers crossed for BV getting a HC job}

pappy
10/27/2009, 01:28 AM
Florida's DC will get a HC job over BV...even though the def has been great this year BV's defenses have been very inconsistent since he took over. I'd like us to get a different DC but keep BV on as lb coach and recruiter....this won't happen though.

I do think he'll get a lot of interviews for HC in the off season probably every HC job that comes available on the D1 level he'll at least be a candidate. KW even though he has sucked this year will most likely be as well.

sooner59
10/27/2009, 01:55 AM
I used to get really mad at BV. Now I wonder if the ups and downs through the years have to do with the talent not performing well. I am not sold on him as a great DC, but right now I wouldn't cast him off for the unknown. He damn sure dialed up a great gameplan for the OU-texas game this year.