PDA

View Full Version : Trent Dilfer says Sam is a PROJECT

stoopified
10/26/2009, 10:20 AM
Says many NFL people say Sam is 2-3 years or more away from being an NFL starter.According to him this was true even BEFORE Sam got hurt.I have never played NFL footb all or coached BUT IMHO if Sam is healthy I expect him to start as a rookie at some point in his initial season.IF lame a$$ VY can start as a rookie Sam certainly can.Sam is twice the passer that VY will ever be.Dilfer went on to say that Sam needs to learn to read DEFENSES,go through progressions through four recievers.Only thing I can guess is Dilfer has NEVER watched Sam in person or tape just on highlights.Sam has always gone through multiple reciever reads ,even as a frosh.

This was on this morning ESPN THE HERD.BTW Dilfer is now a believer in Clausen as an NFL QB.I'm not saying Sam will be a star in the NFL but I do think he has all the tools especially in terms of intelligence ,work ethic and willl be at least solid if healthy.

Collier11
10/26/2009, 10:22 AM
Sam is smarter than alot of NFL QBs therefore picking up the Defenses and learning his offense wont be a challenge, Sam still needs to get stronger and I see that as his only downside

I do think Sam would be best suited to not start his rookie year but 2-3 yrs is crazy, JMHO

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2009, 10:39 AM
Sam will go in the 1st round and that means starting pretty quickly if he is ready or not. There is just too much money on the line in 1st round picks to sit on the bench and whoever takes him is in need of a QB. It seems like most high draft choice QBs get on the field around mid-season of their rookie year after it is clear the team is not playoff worthy.

westcoast_sooner
10/26/2009, 10:50 AM
I think it takes awhile (read YEARS) for any college QB to learn how to read NFL defenses. Seems like Eli Manning was thrown to the wolves his first season and the Giants were awful. Stafford is 1-5 with the Lions as a rookie and he'll take awhile to get this whole NFL thing down, IMO.

When Sam gets to the NFL, he'll have to adjust, just like he did in college. I would expect that it will all depend on the situation he's put in. If he's a number 1, and can be the starter early as a rookie, I expect he'd struggle. I think if he has some time to learn the offense, and gets into a situation with a decent offensive line, he'll look a lot better.

Oh, and NFL defenses are faster and are better at disguising what they're going to do, so yes, it will take time for him to learn that.

ouleaf
10/26/2009, 10:51 AM
If Sam does land on a team where he is in position to play immediately, I hope it is a team that has a good QB coach or a smart veteran that can help him develop at the next level. Sam could probably benefit from adding a little more weight. His height is a plus, and he is as accurate a passer as they come. I guarantee you he'll score better than a 6 on the Wonderlic, so mentally he is mentally sharp enough to handle the job. He's never had the strongest arm, and I'm not sure these recent injuries help that any.

With that all said, who the hell is Trent Dilfer to talk about QBs. Even at his best he was mediocre and he sure as hell didn't win that Super Bowl ring, his defense did.

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 10:56 AM
Says many NFL people say Sam is 2-3 years or more away from being an NFL starter.According to him this was true even BEFORE Sam got hurt.I have never played NFL footb all or coached BUT IMHO if Sam is healthy I expect him to start as a rookie at some point in his initial season.IF lame a$$ VY can start as a rookie Sam certainly can.Sam is twice the passer that VY will ever be.Dilfer went on to say that Sam needs to learn to read DEFENSES,go through progressions through four recievers.Only thing I can guess is Dilfer has NEVER watched Sam in person or tape just on highlights.Sam has always gone through multiple reciever reads ,even as a frosh.
This was on this morning ESPN THE HERD.BTW Dilfer is now a believer in Clausen as an NFL QB.I'm not saying Sam will be a star in the NFL but I do think he has all the tools especially in terms of intelligence ,work ethic and willl be at least solid if healthy.

Dilfer is spot on.

The NFL is heavily west-coast based in their progessions thru the QB drop. As opposed to OU's shotgun, where it is more catch ball, read 1, read 2, and gone.

Unlike a lot of other college "spread" QBs, Sam was under center a LOT! But that passing game was highly comprised of play-pass stuff, and 1 or 2 man routes.

It will definitely require a lot of fundamental work. But Sam is probably borderline brilliant and a good athlete. He'll work it out, but it may take some time.

TMcGee86
10/26/2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah I think Dilfer was right. He didn't really say Sam couldn't read defenses, just that his accuracy wasn't as good on his second and third reads and that he needed to work on that.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2009, 11:06 AM
Dilfer is probably right because almost *every* QB coming out of college is a project, so not a huge leap there. I'm just glad Sam won't end up in Detroit - thank-you Mr. Stafford :)

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 11:24 AM
Whereas Claussen hasn't had the success that Sam has had, the NFL folks look at the fact that he plays in an NFL-style system, much like SUC QBs.

As far as a "project" goes, even rookies who are starting now are having issues. Stafford has been dinged up, and Sanchez has been downright cold here over the last few weeks. Every QB, and player for that matter, when they jump from one level to the next need that extra coaching and work to be better. What ought to help Sam with the NFL guys on that aspect is how quickly he learned OUr system coming from high school, and how he was immediately effective. He does need to put on about another 10 pounds, but he has time to do that. He is also smart, deadly accurate, and is not a headcase. He will learn progressions as he learns whatever system he enters. It might do him well to go to a place like Seattle, where he could learn from Hasselback, and ease into the job.

westbrooke
10/26/2009, 12:09 PM
Dilfer is spot on.

The NFL is heavily west-coast based in their progessions thru the QB drop. As opposed to OU's shotgun, where it is more catch ball, read 1, read 2, and gone.

Unlike a lot of other college "spread" QBs, Sam was under center a LOT! But that passing game was highly comprised of play-pass stuff, and 1 or 2 man routes.

It will definitely require a lot of fundamental work. But Sam is probably borderline brilliant and a good athlete. He'll work it out, but it may take some time.

Dilfer's right, but if he thinks that means Sam won't start for a team in need he's wrong. I watched him say the same things about Sanchez yesterday. Sometimes "projects" learn the hard way.

sooner59
10/26/2009, 12:17 PM
Every QB drafted into the NFL is a project. Its a tough position to jump into in that league. Sam is probably smarter than most, nice arm strength, and good accuracy. He will be fine. Not sure when Dilfer became a talent scout. Sam is a better QB today than Dilfer was his whole career, LOL. Dilfer was absolutely terrible. He has a ring because the Ravens won games in spite of him.....sort of like the Bears and Rex Grossman a few years ago.

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 12:18 PM
Dilfer's book "Quarterbacking for Dummies" could surely help any young NFL Prospect. If his added 2nd book...."How I finally won the big one on my way out of the NFL" is read along with the Dummie Book....any Kid with teh skillz should be able to succeed.

sooner59
10/26/2009, 12:23 PM
Dilfer's book "Quarterbacking for Dummies" could surely help any young NFL Prospect. If his added 2nd book...."How I finally won the big one on my way out of the NFL" is read along with the Dummie Book....any Kid with teh skillz should be able to succeed.

teh skillz = bone crushing defense (w/ Ray Lewis)

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 12:38 PM
Trent's currently trying to convince Minnesota to bring him back after Farve retires.

sooner59
10/26/2009, 12:41 PM
The Vikings could use an extra water boy.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 12:41 PM
The Dilferception! That was one of Berman's classics!

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 12:46 PM
Sorry for the double post, but shouldn't scouts be somewhat concerned about Jake Locker's durability? He was out most of last season. In fact, I think he got injured in his game against us. He's a great overall athlete, like Sam. To me, Claussen = Brady Quinn.

SoonerMavrick25
10/26/2009, 12:50 PM
I think Dilfer has a point. I'd like to see Sam under center and dropping back reading the D. Rather then OU's Shotgun. Spread operating QB's really have done much in the NFL. Hopefully Bradford can break that trend.

Snyder Cyclone
10/26/2009, 12:52 PM
Yesterday, during the Cowboys game the announcers were commenting on Romo not being the most elusive quarterback in the NFL. This is what most concerns me about Bradford's career in the NFL. Romo is quite a bit more elusive than Sam.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 01:00 PM
I think Dilfer has a point. I'd like to see Sam under center and dropping back reading the D. Rather then OU's Shotgun. Spread operating QB's really have done much in the NFL. Hopefully Bradford can break that trend.

Unfortunately, most have came from the SEC, Michigan, Purdue, ND, SUC, or somewhere you've never heard. As a matter of fact, I can't name any former Big XII QBs who are currently starters. VY, Seneca Wallace, Sage Rosenfels, Josh Freeman, Stephen McGee, Booger, and Chrissy are all back ups.

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 01:00 PM
The Vikings could use an extra water boy.

I think you've got Minnesota mixed up with the Titans.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 01:01 PM
I think you've got Minnesota mixed up with the Titans.

What, Mr. Wunderlich has even screwed that up?

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 01:02 PM
well hell lets look at it

Matt Ryan
Stafford
Sanchez

but then u have

Russell = sucks
Quinn = sucks
Alex Smith = sucks
Vince Young = sucks
Matt Leinfart = sucks

first round qbs are toss ups

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 01:09 PM
Of those, the only one that has clearly been a star has been Ryan, and Sam's more like him than any of the others. Stafford plays for a bad team, and has been dinged up, so we might not know this year, or even next, how he'll. Sanchez has cooled off. In fact he just recently had a 5 pick game.

Blues1
10/26/2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry to say my gut tells me Sam will last about 2 years in the NFL and then get on with his other goals in Life - (hope I'm wrong) but History tells me OU quarterbacks are not fitted for the Pro's -- Unless you are tough as Rusty Nails (Tommy McDonald or AD ~ example) jmho...!

Collier11
10/26/2009, 01:19 PM
With the money they are paying him, he will play longer than 2 yrs, and most OU qbs ran the option, that is why

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry to say my gut tells me Sam will last about 2 years in the NFL and then get on with his other goals in Life - (hope I'm wrong) but History tells me OU quarterbacks are not fitted for the Pro's -- Unless you are tough as Rusty Nails (Tommy McDonald or AD ~ example) jmho...!
Can't say Tommy McDonald, or anyone else prior to the Stoops-Era, is at all relevent to the discussion.

If you want to specifically discuss Heupel or White, go ahead, but neither one of them had half the arm Bradford owns.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2009, 01:29 PM
I don't see how you can generalize all OU QBs. In the Stoops era (i.e. passing era) the QBs have been pretty good. Heupel got a look by the NFL, but he didn't have the arm strength. I think JW would have made it had he not blown out his knees, but we'll never know. Bohmar is on a practice squad and probably would have made a roster if he hadn't blown his chances at OU. If Sam goes in the 1st round, he'll get every opportunity to succeed.

Collier11
10/26/2009, 01:31 PM
Bomar will likely be on an active roster next year, Hybl played 3 yrs as a 3rd stringer and backup, Heupel woulda made it had he not been injured despite his relatively weak arm, White woulda been drafted had he not hurt his knees so badly and PT even made a team for a short time

cjames317
10/26/2009, 02:48 PM
What's the difference between Sam and young Peyton Manning? Besides the Heisman and conference championships?

Collier11
10/26/2009, 02:58 PM
Peyton does cool things at the LOS

GottaHavePride
10/26/2009, 04:15 PM
Sure. Rookie QBs have a tough time getting up to NFL speed.

*ahem* Ben Roethlisberger what?

wishbonesooner
10/26/2009, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't bet against Sam.

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 06:45 PM
Sure. Rookie QBs have a tough time getting up to NFL speed.

*ahem* Ben Roethlisberger what?

helped having one of the best defenses throughout the decade, to give him a great start

same with Flaco

but now the Ravens D looks like poop!!!! Dynasty is over!

snp
10/26/2009, 07:19 PM

That's a pretty worthless opinion.

AlbqSooner
10/26/2009, 07:57 PM
When Pyeton Manning was a rookie he pretty much stunk up the first half of the season. As he started showing what he was capable of later in the season a reporter asked him what the difference was. Peyton said, "The game slowed down".

I expect Bradford to pick up the game quickly. I agree though that it will take a bit of time for him to have the game slow down.

As for his size situation, he is really quite young. Other than the injury he is in excellent shape. He is just now at that age where men develop into a Man body.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 09:11 PM
Yesterday, during the Cowboys game the announcers were commenting on Romo not being the most elusive quarterback in the NFL. This is what most concerns me about Bradford's career in the NFL. Romo is quite a bit more elusive than Sam.

I think those announcers were smoking crack, Romo is one of the more elusive QB's in the league, he just doesn't run a lot.

The last place you should expect expert commentary is from the guys broadcasting the game. Those two yesterday were borderline stupid with the Romo is not elusive BS.

...and yeah, Romo is a lot more elusive than Sam appears to be.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah, Romo is more elusive than Sam. But Sam looks more elusive that either Manning or Brady or Warner (or, etc). He just needs to land in the right system.

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, Romo is more elusive than Sam. But Sam looks more elusive that either Manning or Brady or Warner (or, etc). He just needs to land in the right system.

yup

goingoneight
10/27/2009, 12:59 AM
1. All the talk of OU producing a "system QB" in Sam is laughable. He's run a pro style offense since day one at OU.

2. Every drafted player is a project. Especially QB.

3. Sam, unlike Vince... is a smart guy, not just a flashy scrambling QB. He's a better prospect than your Tim Tebows and VYs for that reason among others.

4. Sam needs the kind of coaching that you don't normally get at the college level. It almost seems elementary to roll away from your golden arm on a fall, but things like this will certainly affect who drafts him and how long before any coach will feel confident putting him behind any OL outside of the mid-90s Dallas OL.

Bottom line: if Sam goes to a ****-poor team with a tired coaching staff, likely for top first-rounders, he may be chased out of town in a wheelchair by screaming morons who don't understand the game ala the Browns fans with their coach. If he slips a little bit to somewhere like, say Minnesota or Arizona, somewhere behind a good team with solid veteran QBs and coaches to bring him along, he can make a big splash in teh Neffel.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2009, 01:18 AM
3. Sam, unlike Vince... is not a totally moronic dooshbag with the IQ of a doorknob who makes Michael Vick look like a composite of Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

Fixed for further clarification. :P

BlackChipBJ
10/27/2009, 02:33 AM
Outside of being a great QB, I like that Sam plays for the love of the game. Teams know they will have a dedicated guy, and one that won't burn them for $1 better contract.

rawlingsHOH
10/27/2009, 10:57 AM
1. All the talk of OU producing a "system QB" in Sam is laughable. He's run a pro style offense since day one at OU.

Not quite.

GottaHavePride
10/27/2009, 11:22 AM
Pro-style would be under center a LOT more than we run.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/27/2009, 11:29 AM
Let me tell you this little story about Sam Bradford.
As a senior at Putnam City North High School, Sam took his "all world" Panthers to the worst record in decades, finishing 6-6 and not making the playoffs for the FIRST time in more than 10 years. On this senior squad were 5 guys who signed D1A: Air Force, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. This coming 2 seasons after Sam, a sophomore at the time, led PCN to the state semi-final, where we got a big Texas-style screwing from the Jenks refs. Nobody understood why OU wanted Sam Bradford. He wasn't that good. We all concluded he'd have a good career backing up Rhett Bomar. Maybe, if he redshirted, he would be the starter by the time he was a junior.

Some things are just meant to be. Can you believe Sam Bradford was ever in a quarterback battle with Joey Halzle and *gasp* Keith Nichol? Sam has more talent and drive than any player I have even seen play. Yes, more than Adrian Peterson, more than Roy Williams.

TUSooner
10/27/2009, 11:37 AM
Already, Sam >>> Dilfer

:rolleyes:

Collier11
10/27/2009, 11:43 AM
Let me tell you this little story about Sam Bradford.
As a senior at Putnam City North High School, Sam took his "all world" Panthers to the worst record in decades, finishing 6-6 and not making the playoffs for the FIRST time in more than 10 years. On this senior squad were 5 guys who signed D1A: Air Force, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. This coming 2 seasons after Sam, a sophomore at the time, led PCN to the state semi-final, where we got a big Texas-style screwing from the Jenks refs. Nobody understood why OU wanted Sam Bradford. He wasn't that good. We all concluded he'd have a good career backing up Rhett Bomar. Maybe, if he redshirted, he would be the starter by the time he was a junior.

Some things are just meant to be. Can you believe Sam Bradford was ever in a quarterback battle with Joey Halzle and *gasp* Keith Nichol? Sam has more talent and drive than any player I have even seen play. Yes, more than Adrian Peterson, more than Roy Williams.

To be real honest about it Sam led you guys far in the playoffs the year before didnt he and his SR year you all had a ton of injuries if I remember correctly.

Still, when OU offered him and signed him I was like, what the hell...shows what I kow

BTW, Jenks beat you all fair and square :D

bluedogok
10/27/2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think Jenks has beaten anyone "fair and square"...:P

ELP Sooner
10/27/2009, 09:47 PM
I was listening to NFL radio on my drive home. Gil Brandt was talking about Sam and had nothing negative to say about him and likes his future in the NFL.

Collier11
10/27/2009, 10:23 PM
Brandt and Kiper have both repeatedly said that if he heals properly he will be no worse than Top 10

rawlingsHOH
10/27/2009, 10:38 PM
Brandt and Kiper have both repeatedly said that if he heals properly he will be no worse than Top 10
Unfortunately they don't have a pick!

Collier11
10/27/2009, 10:40 PM
Your point?

meoveryouxinfinity
10/28/2009, 02:44 AM
To be real honest about it Sam led you guys far in the playoffs the year before didnt he and his SR year you all had a ton of injuries if I remember correctly.

Still, when OU offered him and signed him I was like, what the hell...shows what I kow

We lost in the second round as a JR, went to the states semis as Soph. I don't remember there being many injuries as a SR--just no Deji Karim (badass RB)

Jenks DID NOT beat us fair and square. They were calling OBVIOUSLY trapped balls as completions. Get your whack *ss outta here with that BS.
:D :mad:

rawlingsHOH
10/28/2009, 08:48 AM
Your point?
Draft prognostications in OCTOBER are often ridiculously inaccurate.

Andre Woodson and Brian Brohn were going "Top 5" in October of 2007, according to MKJ.

stoopified
10/5/2010, 01:17 PM

This was on this morning ESPN THE HERD.BTW Dilfer is now a believer in Clausen as an NFL QB.I'm not saying Sam will be a star in the NFL but I do think he has all the tools especially in terms of intelligence ,work ethic and willl be at least solid if healthy.Wonder what all these EXPERTS think now?

Sam stats after 4 games as starter:

92-158 6 TDs/6 INTs 58.2% 944 yards 2-2 record

Not bad for a PROJECT,especially considering how much pressure Sam has been under playing behind a O-line with as many holes as a piece of Swiss cheese.

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2010, 01:20 PM
Dilfer is more of announcing project than Sam is a QB project.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 01:29 PM
Actually Dilfer apologized for being so wrong on Sammy B. the other day on air

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 01:31 PM
you should apologize for being wrong

Collier11
10/5/2010, 01:35 PM
I am sorry that I thought you were a decent human being

:D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 01:36 PM
I apologize for hurting you...

Collier11
10/5/2010, 01:42 PM
Love

stoopified
10/5/2010, 01:46 PM
Actually Dilfer apologized for being so wrong on Sammy B. the other day on air

Well that makes him more of a standup guy than Mark May or Skip Bayless,they never admit being wrong.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 01:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5649294

Wishboned
10/5/2010, 02:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5649294

Where did he get the idea that Sam didn't work through his progressions at OU? Sam has always been great at that.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 03:04 PM
Its what he was probably told, just like how Sam never played from under center

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 03:10 PM
I was watching all the plays out of the I formation Saturday wondering how many morons were going to say we are a spread offense

StoopTroup
10/5/2010, 03:11 PM
Does Dilfer travel around in Madden's old bus these days?

http://i.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/elpintogrande~11-london.jpg

Soonermagik
10/5/2010, 03:45 PM
Didn't Kiper like McCoy better than Bradford? Time to admit when you're wrong.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Where did he get the idea that Sam didn't work through his progressions at OU?

Can we ever be happy? The dude admitted he was wrong.

sooner59
10/5/2010, 03:52 PM

That's not enough! He must sacrifice his first born on the second Tuesday in November at high noon. :D

Widescreen
10/5/2010, 04:13 PM

Congrats to him. He admitted he was wrong. And he proceeded to make the argument that Sam didn't do anything a QB is supposed to do in college so how was he supposed to know he'd amount to anything.

Not really an apology. Just an invalid excuse for why he got it wrong.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 04:15 PM
trent dilfer doesn't even watch the college guys....he asks mel and McShay for info

stoopified
10/5/2010, 04:34 PM
trent dilfer doesn't even watch the college guys....he asks mel and McShay for infoThat explains why he was wrong.I had to laugh at Kiper who during the draft spent a great deal of time basically saying Sam is limited in this,that and the other.At one point one of the other analysts( McShay maybe) looked at him and said: YOU DO HAVE BRADFORD AS YOUR #1RATED QB,DON'T YOU? I heard some people speculate that Kiper has an intrest in a sports agency representing another QB orQBs.I have no idea if its true but it made me laugh.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2010, 04:37 PM
Like I've said before...Mel is more tied to the agents than the NFL coaches...He has 2 scout buddies that do all his work...The guy I worked with for 6 years was one of his first....

Most of those guys at ESPN, except for the college crews, don't know crap about college football..they can tell you scores, and dish out generic information, but most don't have a clue

Wishboned
10/5/2010, 04:51 PM

Show me in my post where I said I was unhappy. Quote me if you can. I asked a legitimate question.

How many times in OU games did Bradford work through his progressions? How many times did the announcers of the games Bradford played in for OU make the comment, or remark on the fact that he worked through his progressions, and picked the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th receiver?

swardboy
10/5/2010, 04:59 PM
What else can Dilrod say? He's obviously already got poop in his face over his previous observations on Sam....

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2010, 05:01 PM
And I'm not unhappy either. When I said Dilfer was a project as an announcer (or more accurately, analyst), I meant it. I think he is okay, but clearly not as good as some of the more established NFL guys. I think Schlereth is really good, but I'm sure it's a matter of taste.

yankee
10/5/2010, 05:08 PM

coming from the guy that would argue with a rock if he could. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 05:09 PM
Congrats to him. He admitted he was wrong. And he proceeded to make the argument that Sam didn't do anything a QB is supposed to do in college so how was he supposed to know he'd amount to anything.

Not really an apology. Just an invalid excuse for why he got it wrong.

Apology? Why would he need to apologize?

Some of us sound like soccer moms arguing with teachers over their son's grades.

Widescreen
10/5/2010, 05:12 PM
Apology was the wrong word, but the rest of my comment stands.

yankee
10/5/2010, 05:12 PM
i hate trent dilfer, and i hated him before i found out that he said this about sam...and i just found out he said this today.

the guy rips on QB's during nfl live or whatever show he's on...dude, YOU THREW MORE INTERCEPTIONS IN YOUR NFL CAREER THAN TOUCHDOWNS. SAM HAS MORE TALENT IN HIS LEFT PINKY FINGER THAN YOU WISH YOU COULD EVER HAVE. STFU.

last night he was just tearing into cutler on his performance against the giants...i wanted to punch a whole threw my TV. the giants are my team and i really don't like jay cutler, but trent dilfer hatin' on QB's who are better than him makes me angry.

/end rant.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 05:21 PM
Show me in my post where I said I was unhappy. Quote me if you can. I asked a legitimate question.

Instead of saying, "Hey that was pretty cool of him to admit he was wrong," it was "Gee, can I can find something else to gripe about?"

How many times in OU games did Bradford work through his progressions? How many times did the announcers of the games Bradford played in for OU make the comment, or remark on the fact that he worked through his progressions, and picked the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th receiver?

Who gives a ****?!?! If Bradford was somehow slighted because Dilfer made a comment that may not have been accurate, let Bradford worry about it.

What else can Dilrod say?

He can say nothing and pretend he never made the prediction, which is what the vast majority of analysts do. What has Mel Kiper said recently about his prediction? (Seriously, I don't know.)

yankee
10/5/2010, 05:33 PM
Instead of saying, "Hey that was pretty cool of him to admit he was wrong," it was "Gee, can I can find something else to gripe about?"

i really don't know why you're telling people to stop griping...that's all you do around here. nitpick and gripe.

Scott D
10/5/2010, 05:53 PM
Didn't Kiper like McCoy better than Bradford? Time to admit when you're wrong.

Kiper still thinks the Colts should have drafted Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning..why would he ever admit he was wrong?

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 06:37 PM
i really don't know why you're telling people to stop griping...that's all you do around here.

Uhhh, no.

KW? No griping about the playcalling for me.

BV? Nope, no griping.

Players? Nada.

The team? Nada.

Stoops? Nada.

Announcers? Refs? Good luck finding it.

So while the rest of you sound like a bunch of whiny-***, spoiled rotten bitches, even after we win, I take things pretty calmly around here.

So STFU.

mightysooner
10/5/2010, 08:13 PM
If Sam were 2-3 years away from being a starter, he wouldn't be starting. Not that a QB legend's opinion like Trent Dilfer should be dismissed or anything....

Blue
10/5/2010, 08:42 PM
Dilfers been giving Sam alotta love this week. Today was funny.

Dilfer- "Bradford looks great and showing things he didn't show at Oklahoma."

Other Dude- "Did you watch football when sam was at Oklahoma" "Do you watch football?"

mightysooner
10/5/2010, 08:50 PM
eh.....Dilfer just needs to swallow that bitter pill that Sam will be a better QB than he ever was.

OUthunder
10/5/2010, 08:52 PM
Dilfer is a dillhole.

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2010, 08:55 PM
Will be my a$$. He already is better!

RoaminSooner
10/5/2010, 09:01 PM

Other Dude- "Did you watch football when sam was at Oklahoma" "Do you watch football?"

Saw this too - thought this thread was going to be about that statement. However, it's good to see him man-up and admit he was wrong.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 09:05 PM
It is funny how many on this board automatically hate a particular tv personality cus they say something bad about an OU guy.

Fact of the matter is that these guys are paid to have an opinion, no matter how much we disagree. I have always liked Dilfer cus he is straight forward and doesnt sugar coat things like alot of ex players do. Now I respect him even more since he realized that his opinion in this case was wrong

Wishboned
10/5/2010, 09:48 PM
It is funny how many on this board automatically hate a particular tv personality cus they say something bad about an OU guy.

Fact of the matter is that these guys are paid to have an opinion, no matter how much we disagree. I have always liked Dilfer cus he is straight forward and doesnt sugar coat things like alot of ex players do. Now I respect him even more since he realized that his opinion in this case was wrong

My problem isn't that he had an opinion that Bradford would be a project. My problem is that his opinion was an uninformed one.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 09:50 PM
arent most on ESPN uninformed, especially when they try and cross over? Dilfer is great with the NFL stuff, I think we all knew that he hadnt studied Bradfords college career at all.

Hell, they all still say alot of the same stuff about him which proves that they didnt

Blue
10/5/2010, 10:16 PM
Just look at Monday Night Countdown....5 of the biggest Morans on TV w/ a combined IQ of about a buck and a half.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 10:41 PM
Dilfer is no better or no worse than all the other analysts. No one can do that job without pissing off half the fan base in the country.

And it's not like he doesn't know the skills the QB position requires. I mean, c'mon.

Wishboned
10/5/2010, 10:56 PM
arent most on ESPN uninformed, especially when they try and cross over? Dilfer is great with the NFL stuff, I think we all knew that he hadnt studied Bradfords college career at all.

Hell, they all still say alot of the same stuff about him which proves that they didnt

And when you don't have an informed opinion then you open yourself up to legitimate criticism.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 10:56 PM

Or do color commentary when OU is losing.

It's true everywhere. Go into just about fan forum and if you see "These announcers suck!" you can bet their team is getting manhandled.

It's as if the NCAA awards points for nice comments, or the refs are listening to the announcers when spotting the ball.

If the announcers were better, fans would simply have a more lucid, clearer, and accurate picture of their team getting its *** kicked.

Blue
10/5/2010, 10:58 PM

It's true everywhere. Go into just about fan forum and if you see "These announcers suck!" you can bet their team is getting manhandled.

It's as if the NCAA awards points for nice comments, or the refs are listening to the announcers when spotting the ball.

If the announcers were better, fans would simply have a more lucid, clearer, and accurate picture of their team getting its *** kicked.

Exibit A- Pam Ward

Exibit B- Gary danielson and Verne Lundquist

The Defense Rests. It is possible for announcers and talking heads to suck major donkey balls.

Leroy Lizard
10/5/2010, 11:00 PM
I'll give you Pam Ward, but what about Gary Danielson and Verne Lundquist? I have heard them call quite a few games and they sounded okay.

Blue
10/5/2010, 11:08 PM
Listen to them every saturday and you will turn down the volume eventually. Danielson is a know it all who apparently "knew that was gonna happen" after the fact and Verne is well, Verne.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 11:29 PM
Alot of the fans on here hate Musberger and Nessler, I love listening to those guys. They make big games fun from an announcers standpoint.

yankee
10/5/2010, 11:32 PM
Alot of the fans on here hate Musberger and Nessler, I love listening to those guys. They make big games fun from an announcers standpoint.

gimme sean mcdonough any day. he's really passionate and makes things exciting when something exciting happens.

example (bball): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPt56I35his

mushberger in the texass/usc champ game..."and he's going for the corrneerrr...touchdown". BORING.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 11:34 PM
"The eyes of texas have been blackened" cmon now

Collier11
10/5/2010, 11:35 PM
They need to get Gus Johnson to do CFB :D

Blue
10/5/2010, 11:39 PM
I like Nessler, Mush, and my favorite is probably Ron Franklin.

Collier11
10/5/2010, 11:41 PM
Mike Patrick is good too

hawaii 5-0
10/5/2010, 11:53 PM
Brent Mushbooger over-sensationalizes everything. Even trivial stuff like the turning of the down marker.

"Yes folks !!! That was first down. Now according to the chain crew it looks like......yes I believe it could be........YES !!! It's SECOND DOWN !!!!"

Heaven forbid a stray dog runs on the field.

5-0

Okie35
10/6/2010, 12:12 AM
Brent Mushbooger over-sensationalizes everything. Even trivial stuff like the turning of the down marker.

"Yes folks !!! That was first down. Now according to the chain crew it looks like......yes I believe it could be........YES !!! It's SECOND DOWN !!!!"

Heaven forbid a stray dog runs on the field.

5-0

HAHAHAHAAHA! Yea he's just a very excited old man.

Mike Patrick is good too

His "HOLY COW"s are annoying to me other than that he's ok.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 12:14 AM

Haha I wish there was a video of that I could watch right now.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 12:17 AM
I was watching all the plays out of the I formation Saturday wondering how many morons were going to say we are a spread offense

I absolutely HATE that. There are still ppl to this day that think we run a spread offense. I want to tell them to stop watching football all together.

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 12:25 AM
Listen to them every saturday and you will turn down the volume eventually. Danielson is a know it all who apparently "knew that was gonna happen" after the fact and Verne is well, Verne.

Gee, don't throw too much information at me.

Blue
10/6/2010, 12:38 AM
Gee, don't throw too much information at me.

I don't feel like explaining every little detail about why I don't like them. I don't feel like writing a book on here.

If you're a college football fan I would assume you've watched more than a "few" SEC games at 2:30 on CBS.

If you like them, fine. I don't.

Okie35
10/6/2010, 12:39 AM
I don't feel like explaining every little detail about why I don't like them. I don't feel like writing a book on here.

If you're a college football fan I would assume you've watched more than a "few" SEC games at 2:30 on CBS.

If you like them, fine. I don't.

Oh yes they are terrible and biased but I guess they have to be.

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 01:12 AM
I don't feel like explaining every little detail about why I don't like them.

Obviously.

sooner59
10/6/2010, 01:22 AM
I don't have much of an opinion as I am usually in the stands. I trust you guys' opinion. :D

Blue
10/6/2010, 01:23 AM
Obviously.

Why don't you blow it out your ***, leroy Lizard? :D

Rickety_Syd
10/6/2010, 01:41 AM
i hate trent dilfer, and i hated him before i found out that he said this about sam...and i just found out he said this today.

the guy rips on QB's during nfl live or whatever show he's on...dude, YOU THREW MORE INTERCEPTIONS IN YOUR NFL CAREER THAN TOUCHDOWNS. SAM HAS MORE TALENT IN HIS LEFT PINKY FINGER THAN YOU WISH YOU COULD EVER HAVE. STFU.

last night he was just tearing into cutler on his performance against the giants...i wanted to punch a whole threw my TV. the giants are my team and i really don't like jay cutler, but trent dilfer hatin' on QB's who are better than him makes me angry.

/end rant.

Ha. Nice response.
Dilfer gets paid to have an opinion. That's his JOB. What's he suposed to do? "Well guys, I really wasn't a very good quarterback when I played, so I gues I'll just sit here and be quiet."

You have over 1,000 posts, which means you have opinions on a lot of things. Unless you were a great player once, I guess you should follow your own advice and STFU. :rolleyes:

Blue
10/6/2010, 01:45 AM
Rickety Sidowned.

oudavid1
10/6/2010, 01:48 AM
You know, i wish sammy all the best.

But im on Landry's jock now. As soon as i saw Same get hurt last year in Arlington, my first thought was get Landry (Whoever that is) warmed up.

So can we talk about LJ?

oudavid1
10/6/2010, 01:49 AM

ohh he will. he will.

Rickety_Syd
10/6/2010, 01:49 AM

Not only that, but every fan base is convinced that the announcers are openly rooting against their team. I watch games with a lot of people and it never, ever, fails.

Collier11
10/6/2010, 01:50 AM
Ha. Nice response.
Dilfer gets paid to have an opinion. That's his JOB. What's he suposed to do? "Well guys, I really wasn't a very good quarterback when I played, so I gues I'll just sit here and be quiet."

You have over 1,000 posts, which means you have opinions on a lot of things. Unless you were a great player once, I guess you should follow your own advice and STFU. :rolleyes:

Say what you want about Dilfer but that guy was a really solid NFL QB and was a perfect QB for that Ravens team that won the SB

Rickety Sidowned.

Nice play on words :D

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 02:00 AM

Touchy, touchy.

Collier11
10/6/2010, 02:01 AM
Touch me, touch me, please.

Damn Leroy, you that lonely?

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 02:02 AM
Say what you want about Dilfer but that guy was a really solid NFL QB and was a perfect QB for that Ravens team that won the SB

But does he know as much about football as the fans at SF?

Tough to call.

Blue
10/6/2010, 02:05 AM
Well he was wrong about Bradford. That we now know.

sooner59
10/6/2010, 02:11 AM
Analyzing and playing football are two different things. Not all players can analyze objectively.

Collier11
10/6/2010, 02:12 AM
59 would certainly over-analyze your ability to eat an azz

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 03:38 AM
Well he was wrong about Bradford. That we now know.

You mean, he made a prediction that didn't pan out? My heavens! We definitely need to replace him with one of us from SF. We're never wrong.

Seamus
10/6/2010, 04:34 AM
You know, i wish sammy all the best.

But im on Landry's jock now. As soon as i saw Same get hurt last year in Arlington, my first thought was get Landry (Whoever that is) warmed up.

So can we talk about LJ?

Yeah, really, you guys! It's not as if there are any other threads out there!

:D

Seamus
10/6/2010, 04:36 AM
Even trivial stuff like the turning of the down marker.

I'd like to get a Missouri fan's perspective on this point.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2010, 08:45 AM
Well it doens't bother me what anybody on ESPN says, because I don't watch it...These guys say stuff and people get upset...Its entertainment folks..scripted entertainment..its professional wrestling except the sports are real and the announcers are fake..

Blue
10/6/2010, 02:06 PM
You mean, he made a prediction that didn't pan out? My heavens! We definitely need to replace him with one of us from SF. We're never wrong.

I wasn't saying any of that. The thread is about Dilfers prediction of Bradford. He was wrong.

TUSooner
10/6/2010, 02:29 PM
Well it doens't bother me what anybody on ESPN says, because I don't watch it...These guys say stuff and people get upset...Its entertainment folks..scripted entertainment..its professional wrestling except the sports are real and the announcers are fake..

THIS ^^^^^ !!! :D

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 02:50 PM
I wasn't saying any of that. The thread is about Dilfers prediction of Bradford. He was wrong.

Which he admitted. Which is not even a point of contention.

Many of the fans in here predicted we would beat West Virginia. We didn't. What does that say about anything?

Blue
10/6/2010, 04:01 PM
You're making my brain hurt, dude. You win.

Widescreen
10/6/2010, 05:08 PM
You're making my brain hurt, dude. You win.

When you say Leroy wins, the terrorists win.

Leroy Lizard
10/6/2010, 05:19 PM
Are you picking up the fight? Because I'll wear you down too. :D

soonerinkaty
10/6/2010, 07:06 PM
Okay ladies, change the manpons.

yankee
10/6/2010, 10:38 PM
Ha. Nice response.

i should get paid to post on soonerfans...

westbrooke
10/7/2010, 09:41 AM
Every week, hundreds of anchors, announcers, reporters, writers, etc. make predictions about the NFL. They benefit in viewership/readership when they take divisive positions. Many of them are wrong. Few, if any, ever acknowledge it or apologize for it. Do they even owe us that? Or do we just want a thrill imagining that such an apology is a personalized admission that we're smarter than them?

I didn't like hearing Dilfer rag on Sam before the draft, but I knew he was playing the contrarian. I thought Sam would quickly prove him wrong, but even I didn't think it would be this quickly. Dilfer's mea culpa sounded genuine; he explained why he thought what he did - which, even if I still disagree with him, was still more basis for his original opinion than I thought he had - and offered an enthusiastic endorsement. My estimation of him actually went up after that. Plenty of room on the bandwagon, Trent.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2010, 08:35 AM
So I heard on the radio this morning that Dilfer was repeating the same schtick about Bradford on Sunday not doing anything he's doing now when he was at OU.....pretty funny

bmjlr
10/20/2010, 08:38 AM
So I heard on the radio this morning that Dilfer was repeating the same schtick about Bradford on Sunday not doing anything he's doing now when he was at OU.....pretty funny

Dilfer just doesn't learn...or pay attention.

soonercastor
10/20/2010, 08:42 AM

yeah I watched it live: the other guys (Chris Berman & co) were talking about how the Chargers are playing bad and blah blah blah; then Trent said give credit to the Rams, went on and praised Bradford then said "...things we didn't see him do at Oklahoma." :rolleyes:

goingoneight
10/20/2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah, really. What the hell is he doing now that he didn't do in college?

tcrb
10/20/2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah, really. What the hell is he doing now that he didn't do in college?

Bringing home a seven figure paycheck. :D

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2010, 09:19 AM
Smacking dilfer in the face with his dick I hope!

Sooner_Tuf
10/20/2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe dilfer meant dog years,

Mississippi Sooner
10/20/2010, 04:47 PM
I still have people tell me that can't believe how fast Sam learned to take snaps from under center. :gary:

Blue
10/20/2010, 05:45 PM
I still have people tell me that can't believe how fast Sam learned to take snaps from under center. :gary:

Ha! Hard to believe he even knows how to put on his helmet and snap his chinstrap! They don't teech that at O-yoo.:D

Crimson Kid
10/20/2010, 05:55 PM

That tells you they never watched a OU game. sam took many snaps under center yet nobody ever seems to have seen those games.:rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2010, 05:58 PM
let me guess..OU runs a spread offense also