PDA

View Full Version : I know we are still mid-season....

gaylordfan1
10/26/2009, 09:19 AM
Anyone have any idea who will leave early on defense? Some soph and juniors that might leave are: McCoy is a given, Beal, Franks, T. Lewis, K. Clayton.

The only significant player that could leave on offense is Murray, although I think he will be back.

I'm just trying to get a prospective on next season.... It's never too early.

gaylordfan1
10/26/2009, 09:25 AM
Sorry, K. Clayton is a Sr... Adrian Taylor?

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 09:30 AM
I'd expect all but McCoy to come back.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/26/2009, 09:32 AM
I definitely think Gerald McCoy is gone. Adrian Taylor doesn't get the national exposure he should. Beal is starting to. Lewis is off and on and could probably use another year. Franks is probably about where Lewis is.

GK gone
Beal gone
Taylor stays
Lewis stays
Franks stays

gaylordfan1
10/26/2009, 09:36 AM
Now, Beal was a 3rd string MLB at the start of his career at OU and was moved to DE so he would have more of a chance to make it on the field. I hear they plan on making the same move with R. Lewis... moving him to DE next year. That would make sense with all the LB's we have... esp if R. Reynolds gets his medical redshirt.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/26/2009, 09:40 AM
Now, Beal was a 3rd string MLB at the start of his career at OU and was moved to DE so he would have more of a chance to make it on the field. I hear they plan on making the same move with R. Lewis... moving him to DE next year. That would make sense with all the LB's we have... esp if R. Reynolds gets his medical redshirt.

Yep. He just needs to see the field, like Beal did.

gaylordfan1
10/26/2009, 09:56 AM
Ha Ha Ha, man Briscoe (sp) just wasn't the same after the lick he took from R. Lewis to begin the game!

ouleaf
10/26/2009, 10:42 AM
R. Lewis looked like a beast when he blew up the KU returner on that one play. If it works out, I think he'd be great in that Roaming DE/LB that Beal plays.

I wish Beal would stay, but I think he is gone. He kind of reminds me of Jimmy Wilkerson. Lots of potential and very productive at OU, but probably should have stuck around another year and upped his value. Jimmy has had a nice NFL career though, compared to a lot of other more highly rated Sooners that have gone to the NFL.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2009, 11:01 AM
Beal is having a monster year and looks ready. I think Franks could go too - and of course, McCoy. DM is not having a great year so far, but could I could see his stock going up if we keep throwing to him. Huge value having a back that can run patterns and catch the ball at the next level.

stoopified
10/26/2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks a lot for this thread.I am thinking how good we COULD be next year and you have to bring THIS up. :rolleyes:

yermom
10/26/2009, 11:23 AM
i don't remember Wilkerson tearing things up like Beal is right now. if he keeps it up, i think he's gone

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 11:48 AM
I agree that GK is gone, even though he a campus leader, and he's not one of these guys who's in it for the money. If you're Top 5 like GK, it makes sense to go. Tampa folks down here want him, as they see him as their next great DL, in the lines of Lee Roy and Sapp. T. Lewis and Dom both need another year. Beal is an interesting case. I don't know where he stands with most scouts right now. He could probably use another year, but you never know. Box would likely replace Clayton, and Alexander would replace English. Both of those guys are starters for most teams, and have seen significant starting minutes in their careers. Hurst would replace Jackson, and he has some good upside. Granger would likely replace GK, coming off of the redshirt. I agree, R. Lewis would replace Beal. I tell you, we have some violent hitters with some of these youngsters (R. Lewis, Hurst, Trice, Wort).

sooner59
10/26/2009, 11:51 AM
McCoy is gone.
Beal has a case, but should stay.
Lewis leaving would be a mistake by him.
Taylor has a chance to be the #1 guy on the D-line next year, should stay.
Franks could do himself some good by staying and upping his value.

With OUr recent run of awesome luck, they all may leave or they all may come back and never see the field due to injury.

ouleaf
10/26/2009, 12:10 PM
i don't remember Wilkerson tearing things up like Beal is right now. if he keeps it up, i think he's gone

I think they are pretty comparable. Wilkerson was overshadowed by Tommie Harris, kind of like Beal is McCoy. Jimmy lead the team in Sacks in 01 and 02, also has an NC ring.

Wilkerson's career
38 Games - 24 as starter
130 Tackles - 35 for loss
12 sacks
13 Pass Deflections
4 Forced Fumbles

Compared to Beal's-current
34 Games - 23 as starter
85 Tackes - 31 for loss
17.5 sacks
7 Pass Def
6 Forced Fumbles
1 INT

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 12:14 PM
Would like to see Frank Alexander show some flashes like he did in the later half of 2008!

SoonerMavrick25
10/26/2009, 12:28 PM
I think McCoy is going to leave. Beal keeps playing the way he is, I think he should come out. It seems like he is getting better every game. He is a game changer on defense for sure. I think Lewis would be better off staying. Same thing with Franks. Lewis is still pretty raw at linebacker, and Franks could stand one more year of Schmitty getting after him. Taylor has a chance to really be that guy next year and shoot up draft boards....
I am excited about the mix of upper and lower classman for next year. I think Hurst and Trice are going to be shutdown corners. They look so athletic.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 01:06 PM
Whereas I would love to see Beal stay, I can't wait to see what Ronnell Lewis can do. I again watched that hit he put on one of the better WRs in the country in Dez Briscoe. That was just vicious. With Hurst, it looked like he was shot out of a cannon coming after Colt McCoy. Both Briscoe and McCoy had that look on their faces of "what the heck was that that just hit me?".

Franks and T. Lewis still need to mature a good bit. Again, the wild card is Beal.

SunnySooner
10/26/2009, 01:23 PM
What about the offense? Seniors are Simmons, Brown, Trent, Brody, Clapp and Tennell--Murray is the variable, I think he'll come back, but that's a big hit to the O. We'll really need to get the Oline figured out in the offseason if we're gonna play well with a new QB, especially losing Trent and Simmons off that left side. Wonder if we'll get some juco lineman. Can't wait to watch R. Lewis,though, and hopefully Wort will be back as well, he's a hitter.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 01:58 PM
Besides winning out, the other goal is getting as many of these young guys snaps as they can.

As far as a JUCO OL, I believe they are in on a really big guy from out in California, but I would need to double check that. I also believe that they redshirted Vinson to get him in better shape, and help him learn the schemes. He's the same size as Big Phil.