PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Rookie Salary Cap

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 09:08 AM
OK Jlew...you brought this up. Time to pay the piper. ;)

Anyway...why did the NFL do this?

Was it to get these rookies like Carbtree to sign? Money? To keep kids from cutting out early for the NFL?

What gives?

Aries
10/26/2009, 09:19 AM
I'm not Jlew, but my understanding is the Players Association doesn't like the fact that rookies right out of college are being signed to contracts for a lot more money than established veterans.

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 09:32 AM
I can't believe the Owners and the league would give a damn what the Players Association thinks. If this is true....they must really be trying to smooth out relations.

GottaHavePride
10/26/2009, 09:51 AM
So... the NFL Players' Association has decided to go negspek all the n00bs.

TMcGee86
10/26/2009, 11:13 AM
They will do this because it benefits both sides, the owners and the players.

All the players in the NFLPA are already in the league. They have their lucrative deals or else they are looking to sign big deals to finish their careers.

A rookie cap helps that happen.

And the owners like it because their teams aren't completely hamstrung by a 60 mil deal for a guy that turns out to be a bust. Now they can spend more money on established guys that have proven their worth.

Both sides win. The only ones hurt by this are the future rookies, and unfortunately for them, they don't get a vote in this.

sooner59
10/26/2009, 11:42 AM
Has anything been set in stone? All I have heard is speculation and Goodell side-stepping the issue.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 12:02 PM

All the players in the NFLPA are already in the league. They have their lucrative deals or else they are looking to sign big deals to finish their careers.

And the owners like it because their teams aren't completely hamstrung by a 60 mil deal for a guy that turns out to be a bust. Now they can spend more money on established guys that have proven their worth.

Both sides win. The only ones hurt by this are the future rookies, and unfortunately for them, they don't get a vote in this.

Great point! The real bill-payer on this will be college football. As an unintended secondary consequence, you are going to see a lot of guys come out this year who have no business leaving, which, in the end, will dilute both the college and NFL game. In college you will lose some guys who could be stars the following year. In the NFL, you will have rosters glutted with guys who just aren't ready yet. Heck, the fact that we are talking about some of OUr guys leaving who might not be ready is evidence of that.

Collier11
10/26/2009, 12:06 PM
I'm not Jlew, but my understanding is the Players Association doesn't like the fact that rookies right out of college are being signed to contracts for a lot more money than established veterans.

This

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 12:15 PM
THAT!

NO THIS!

WaIT!

WTH?

WHERE DID IT GO?

There it is...

WHAT IS THAT?

picasso
10/26/2009, 12:23 PM
Has anything been set in stone? All I have heard is speculation and Goodell side-stepping the issue.

I've heard it's not going to happen.

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 12:37 PM

That being the case...Sam could be back.

Ping Pong anyone? :D

sooner59
10/26/2009, 12:40 PM
That being the case...Sam could be back.

Ping Pong anyone? :D

I played next to him on the other table in the Bud and he destroyed whoever he was playing that day. My cousin played him the week before that and got smoked. Sam is the Forest Gump of ping pong. :D

StoopTroup
10/26/2009, 12:41 PM
I played next to him on the other table in the Bud and he destroyed whoever he was playing that day. My cousin played him the week before that and got smoked. Sam is the Forest Gump of ping pong. :D

Olympics? :D

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 01:05 PM
ST in one word

Obama

;) :D

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 01:12 PM

My belief is that this was one of the sticking points that could lead to a lock out, but I could be wrong.

Collier11
10/26/2009, 01:18 PM
Thats Racist!

sooner59
10/26/2009, 01:45 PM
Olympics? :D

Ping Pong diplomacy with North Korea?

PING PONG IN PYONGYANG!!! :eek:

AlbqSooner
10/26/2009, 08:09 PM
The rookie salary cap is being discussed as part of the collective bargaining. The owners would love to have one for obvious reasons and that is something the NFLPA is rumored to be willing to throw in as a bone to get other issues that they want. It is not yet set in stone, but everything I have read and heard is that next spring's draft will most likely be the last without a rookie salary cap.

ocsooner
10/26/2009, 08:16 PM

I don't necessarily see this as bad for the rookies (or the NCAA in the long run for that matter). It keeps kids with $$ in their eyes from jumping too early, and lets them get their degrees and have something to fall back on.

Guys like AD that really have no business being in college anymore can jump, and they will get a huge contract in their second or third year after having proved themselves. (Not to mention all the advertising contracts they will get even if they don't get a big contract from the NFL the first year).

yermom
10/26/2009, 08:52 PM
i'm surprised it took this long...

i mean how many #1 picks have been busts?

Curly Bill
10/26/2009, 08:56 PM
A rookie salary cap is sorely needed. Why pay the big bucks to someone that hasn't played a down in the league - makes no sense at all.

bluedogok
10/26/2009, 09:35 PM
Great point! The real bill-payer on this will be college football. As an unintended secondary consequence, you are going to see a lot of guys come out this year who have no business leaving, which, in the end, will dilute both the college and NFL game. In college you will lose some guys who could be stars the following year. In the NFL, you will have rosters glutted with guys who just aren't ready yet. Heck, the fact that we are talking about some of OUr guys leaving who might not be ready is evidence of that.
You mean like the NBA? They have been drafting on "potential" for years and how many of those have been stars, most have been expensive busts. It might hurt college football for a year, the year before it goes into effect but could get more to stay if they have to decide to stay or go for much less money.

JLEW1818
10/27/2009, 12:11 AM
A rookie salary cap is sorely needed. Why pay the big bucks to someone that hasn't played a down in the league - makes no sense at all.

very true

Honestly,

i wish they made "College Basketball" players stay 2+ years

it would make the game sooo much better

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2009, 12:18 AM
I kinda agree with the rookie salary cap on most levels, but what cracks me up is that the veteran players think that's their golden ticket to high pay. Seems to me if they are worth a **** and also proven through experience they'd get a big paycheck anyway.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/27/2009, 07:53 AM
It works OK in the NBA. What doesn't work so well are the guaranteed contracts. They suck. They end up with guys on the bench who make $10 million/year and can't get cut.