PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Season - Who has looked like a No. 1?

westcoast_sooner
10/26/2009, 12:10 AM
Just a quick post. This season hasn't had anyone that has looked outstanding every single week, IMO. Of the top 10 ranked teams, I don't think anyone has looked solid.

Florida/Bama - both have good defenses. Neither offense is great. IMO, Florida just seems to play well enough on offense to get the job done.

You could throw Texas into that as well. They have no running game.

Iowa wins ugly, every week it seems.

I'm just not blown away by anyone really.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2009, 12:15 AM
No team has been consistent, but all the big teams have good defenses. Some team will come on during the 2nd half of the season and I fear that will be 'SC. I'd rather they didn't get into the big dance in their backyard.

Go ducks! :)

btk108
10/26/2009, 12:54 AM
It's been a freaky year.....whoever is ranked and finishes strong will be there. Two weeks ago..I'da bet the house on WV

sooner59
10/26/2009, 01:04 AM
I would love to see Iowa/TCU/Cincy get into the title game and beat Florida/Bama. It would be pretty awesome.....and funny.

btk108
10/26/2009, 01:05 AM
TCU...as a bowl buster...but it will never happen

JLEW1818
10/26/2009, 01:15 AM
if texas gets in, i want them playing bama or florida

no bull **** iowa or boise or cincy

it would not just be a bowl game, it would be that national title... so i don't think boise, iowa, or cincy would stand a chance against texas in the national title

just me

btk108
10/26/2009, 01:19 AM

it would not just be a bowl game, it would be that national title... so i don't think boise, iowa, or cincy would stand a chance against texas in the national title

just me

not a jab...but were you impressed with Texas against MO? Mizzou had no defense....no offense...they should have just bent over, took it and forfeited after the 1st quarter. Texas doesnt' impress me at all.....

btk108
10/26/2009, 01:21 AM
What I'm really afraid of is that Saxet wins out...goes to the BCS and perpetuates that the Big 12 is overrated.....

ProdigyDub
10/26/2009, 01:22 AM
What I'm really afraid of is that Saxet wins out...goes to the BCS and perpetuates that the Big 12 is overrated.....

No need to worry about that--Texas actually wins its BCS games.

btk108
10/26/2009, 01:25 AM
Not this year, buddy...you guys SUCK

sooner59
10/26/2009, 01:25 AM

Especially when playing second-rate Big 10 and PAC 10 teams. :rolleyes:

sooner59
10/26/2009, 01:27 AM

just me

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't want Texas getting a patsy. But I also don't think that any of those 3 teams get in if Texas and an SEC team finishes unbeaten.

btk108
10/26/2009, 01:30 AM

You barely beat our B offense.....we were expecting an *** whooping. You beat up on a weak Mizzou. You might get by OSU if Gundy coaches like he did last year (they should have beaten you). If you get to the Big 12 championship, you'll win....and then whoever you play in the BCS will expose you for the posers you are....

SGT Park3R
10/26/2009, 02:54 AM
I think Oregon has looked pretty impressive. Not buying stock until they beat SC this Saturday.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 07:15 AM
To me, TCU has looked the best, but the powers that be won't let them in to discussion.

Okie35
10/26/2009, 08:28 AM
As much as I HATE Oregon they have been the only team consistently beating the hell out of teams week in and out. Well, ever since that Boise State game. If they beat the crap outta SC then it will be even more impressive.

westcoast_sooner
10/26/2009, 09:59 AM
Oregon has looked pretty good, except their first game against Boise, and it seems like they struggled a little against Purdue. While I think the ducks have the ability to beat SC, and they do play at Autzen, I'm kinda on the fence about them. If they beat SC, they'll deserve a higher ranking than what they have, but they'll need to run the table to get into the title game.

Cincy, Boise and TCU all have the same problem of credibility. Even if they all win out, the perception will be their conferences aren't as strong as the other BCS conferences.

And in the SEC, the big two are simply winning ugly with D.

Very strange year. Just killing me that Sam and Gresham aren't healthy, because as bad as we've looked on offense, I think if we have those two guys, we're in the thick of things.

35-45
10/26/2009, 10:13 AM
Cincy, Boise, TCU won't get in. The NC game will take a 1 loss SEC team and a 1 loss Pac 10 (USC - Ore winner) over any of them. Iowa has the "soft Big 10" rep to deal with, which is why an unbeaten Texas stays above Iowa, even with a soft schedule. This has been a very strange year, and part of me says that is why it is setting up for a darkhorse in the NC game. But it all comes down to $$. None of those teams will bring the viewers.

IronHorseSooner
10/26/2009, 11:55 AM
Cincy, Boise, TCU won't get in. The NC game will take a 1 loss SEC team and a 1 loss Pac 10 (USC - Ore winner) over any of them. Iowa has the "soft Big 10" rep to deal with, which is why an unbeaten Texas stays above Iowa, even with a soft schedule. This has been a very strange year, and part of me says that is why it is setting up for a darkhorse in the NC game. But it all comes down to $$. None of those teams will bring the viewers.

Which is why this whole thing is a joke! I really believe that TCU might be the best of the bunch, but we will never know. I agree with a sportswriter last year who said that, to him, without a playoff, college football is an illegitimate sport. The sport is great, but the politics behind it are doing more damage than good.

sooner59
10/26/2009, 12:03 PM
I can see it now...

Iowa and an SEC team finish undefeated, and the SEC team and a 1-loss PAC 10 team play for the title. Iowa goes berserk. Uproar ensues again.

This time it is an undefeated team from a BCS conference that gets jobbed, USC plays Florida and the media declares a split title before the kickoff.

sooneron
10/26/2009, 04:45 PM
bama, sure they had a couple of hiccups, but so did our 00 team. They win it all.

GottaHavePride
10/26/2009, 04:50 PM
Very strange year. Just killing me that Sam and Gresham aren't healthy, because as bad as we've looked on offense, I think if we have those two guys, we're in the thick of things.

True, but...

OPTION 1: Sam and Gresh stay healthy, and we grind through the season, winning (ugly at times) and roll into a national championship game. We get matched up against Bama (or Folrida or USC) - teams with the talent, speed, and coaching to take our (very young) receiving corps out of the game and force us to grind it out on the ground. Which we can't do. So we go home after taking ANOTHER thumping in a big game.

OPTION 2: (this is the one we're looking at right now, btw...) Sam and Gresh are out for the season, so we hang our hats on our second-string offense and our D, grind through the season taking a few close losses, and then gut out a win in a bowl game against an LSU / Ohio State / Oregon.

Discuss.

olevetonahill
10/26/2009, 05:43 PM
Id love to see Iowa and TCU

sooner ngintunr
10/26/2009, 05:52 PM
To me, TCU has looked the best, but the powers that be won't let them in to discussion.

I agree.

I will say that if * does go undefeated, the funniest **** in the world to me would be to see an undefeated Iowa team jump them because of SOS.

Of course I would rather see * lose, but that scenario would lead to meltdowns of epic proportions.

Id love to see Iowa and TCU

Of course!! The only thing that would make that matchup better is the scenario above, except no way would TCU ever hurdle *.:mad:

East Coast Bias
10/26/2009, 06:48 PM
Who is going to beat Florida? Come on guys, I don't care for them either but Bama is the only one with any kind of a shot. If USC can stay alive that would be a good match up in the title game but more than likely ends up being an all SEC rematch.....

East Coast Bias
10/26/2009, 06:53 PM
Or *** gets to the big game and talks about how much better it is to get to the big game and lose, then go to a minor bowl,hehehe..

sooner ngintunr
10/26/2009, 09:16 PM
Who is going to beat Florida? Come on guys, I don't care for them either but Bama is the only one with any kind of a shot. If USC can stay alive that would be a good match up in the title game but more than likely ends up being an all SEC rematch.....

more than likely you are wrong.