PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it crazy

gaylordfan1
10/24/2009, 10:37 PM
how good our offense looks when the WR's catch the damn ball! I was all about Kenney before the season started, but now I have seen the light! Kid has bricks for hands.

Sooner Eclipse
10/24/2009, 10:50 PM
So did Tennell for the first 1/3 of the year. Give him some time. Tennell has looked pretty good lately.

Soonerus
10/24/2009, 10:56 PM
Work Jaz and DeJaun in with Broyles, Caleb and Tennel and we have a pretty good crew...

Boomer38Sooner
10/24/2009, 11:07 PM
I think we need to send DeJuan and Adron deep. We rarely throw the ball down the field anymore and I think that if we did the short stuff all game we could catch one of them running wiiiiide open

goingoneight
10/25/2009, 12:09 AM
Throwing downfield doesn't work when you get double coverage. Until we can manage anything other than bubble screens, the best we can hope for downfield is a defensive pass interference call.

Soonerus
10/25/2009, 12:11 AM
Throwing downfield doesn't work when you get double coverage. Until we can manage anything other than bubble screens, the best we can hope for downfield is a defensive pass interference call.

Debbie Downer resurfaces...

Okie35
10/25/2009, 12:14 AM

It works whenever the run game is. I've noticed Landry throws way better out of play action. If the run game gets going he should be able to put up big numbers. I liked how KW played against the mismatch between Tennell and KUs smaller freshman CB. We need to do look for those mismatches more often.

goingoneight
10/25/2009, 12:17 AM
Debbie Downer resurfaces...

It works whenever the run game is. I've noticed Landry throws way better out of play action. If the run game gets going he should be able to put up big numbers.

Oy. :(

Hotrod3157
10/25/2009, 12:19 AM

I was really wanting to see us pump fake a bubble screen and send one of the receivers deep who would normally be blocking on the screen. I thought in the second half Kansas was set up for it seeing we ran the bubble screen a "few" times throughout the game. For the first time this season, I felt like I saw some potential in the receiving corp. Broyles is a stud, Miller is showing signs, Tennell looks like he's gotten over his mental block, and Reynolds made some nice grabs today.

Soonerus
10/25/2009, 12:22 AM
I was really wanting to see us pump fake a bubble screen and send one of the receivers deep who would normally be blocking on the screen. I thought in the second half Kansas was set up for it seeing we ran the bubble screen a "few" times throughout the game. For the first time this season, I felt like I saw some potential in the receiving corp. Broyles is a stud, Miller is showing signs, Tennell looks like he's gotten over his mental block, and Reynolds made some nice grabs today.

Thanks Coach...

Hotrod3157
10/25/2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks Coach...

Your welcome.

goingoneight
10/25/2009, 12:39 AM
If there's any coach I felt the jury was out on, it was Jay Norvell. He's done well with elite-level seniors, but this season has been rough. We have to see improvement. I'm not sold on Kenney and Caleb just yet for the future and there was still plenty of drops to go around from the others.

Not a "fire Norvell" cry, just sayin' his guys were supposed to be the pleasant surprise of the season and for whatever reason their play has been average at best, and play's like Kenney's bobble and Tennell's drop versus TU aren't exactly rare and are a big reason why the ignorant are wanting to fire the OC. We may not be an offensive MACHINE like last year or 2004, but there's reason to expect better in certain areas. Losing Sam and Gresham hurts, but dropping tight spirals that hit you right on the numbers when you're wide open is a major concern.

Gotta give it time, I guess.

MarylandSooner
10/25/2009, 06:39 AM
"We are definitely experts at the bubble screen" - I did not say we were experts at gaining yardage.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2009, 08:00 AM

I would like to see a play action pass one of these days, that is how to get by those safeties over the top. But you have to have a little time. I rewatched lots of the game from yesterday and the right side of the line and the center are getting pushed backwards with regularity. I don't know what the F we are gonna do without Eldridge and Williams next year.

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2009, 08:39 AM
Well, hopefully by next year the other guys will have learned.

rawlingsHOH
10/25/2009, 10:08 AM
I was really wanting to see us pump fake a bubble screen and send one of the receivers deep who would normally be blocking on the screen. I thought in the second half Kansas was set up for it seeing we ran the bubble screen a "few" times throughout the game.

Yes, when ran that for a TD against Tulsa in 2007, after opening the season against UNT and Miami with LOTS of bubbles.

I bet we see it again in the next couple weeks.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/25/2009, 10:22 AM
I would like to see a play action pass one of these days, that is how to get by those safeties over the top. But you have to have a little time. I rewatched lots of the game from yesterday and the right side of the line and the center are getting pushed backwards with regularity. I don't know what the F we are gonna do without Eldridge and Williams next year.

I'm no coach but I would think you would have to have a good run game for play action to work.

sooners2win
10/25/2009, 10:28 AM
I agree about play action of that bubble screen, Kansas was starting to jump the routes, we could have smoked them deep with Pooh. But I like how the WR's played yesterday

rawlingsHOH
10/25/2009, 10:32 AM

How did the OL do in 2006 without Davin Joseph and Chris Chester?

Sky is falling! Sky is falling!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2009, 11:35 AM
the one thing that amazes me about this thread is rus. you HATED nate hybl and landry jones plays EXACTLY like nate did.

rawlingsHOH
10/25/2009, 11:37 AM
the one thing that amazes me about this thread is rus. you HATED nate hybl and landry jones plays EXACTLY like nate did.

Very similar. Both good. I think LJ has a higher ceiling, better arm.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2009, 11:47 AM
I'm no coach but I would think you would have to have a good run game for play action to work.

Obviously, it helps if you have a running game but if the QB hands it off every time he turns toward the running back, the safeties are stepping forward. If we get the safeties to take a step up OUR WR could get by them but as long as the line is getting pushed backwards there will be no time to set it up and throw it.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/25/2009, 04:34 PM
Obviously, it helps if you have a running game but if the QB hands it off every time he turns toward the running back, the safeties are stepping forward. If we get the safeties to take a step up OUR WR could get by them but as long as the line is getting pushed backwards there will be no time to set it up and throw it.

If your running game sucks, then the safeties won't be stepping up. They know the DT and LB's will handle it. It's when the running game gets going that the safeties seem to step up to help out. If running game is not working the safeties will stay home and keep their eyes on the receivers.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/25/2009, 04:35 PM
Double Post

TheUnnamedSooner
10/25/2009, 08:47 PM
So did Tennell for the first 1/3 of the year. Give him some time. Tennell has looked pretty good lately.

Yes, I'm happy for him as well. You can see when he makes a play, he is excited!

prrriiide
10/25/2009, 09:34 PM
Tennell has looked pretty good lately.

Wasn't there something about him getting his eyes checked a couple or three weeks ago? Seems to have coincided with his emergence. Maybe he can see the ball now or something? I'm just sayin' is all.