PDA

View Full Version : Someone on the radio referred to Sam as...

pilobolus
10/24/2009, 10:19 PM
the greatest college QB of all time. I couldn't think of one who was/is better.

Sasakwa
10/24/2009, 11:06 PM
One with a little more extensive body of work maybe?

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2009, 11:14 PM
the greatest college QB of all time. I couldn't think of one who was/is better.

I can think of several Sooners who were better college QBs. Jimmy Harris comes to mind-it's hard to get much better than undefeated.

Don't get me wrong, Bradford is a wonderful player and a great human being. But there's a list of college QBs out there that are much more accomplished. Much as it pains me, Sam's not even the greatest college QB who still has eligibility right now.

goingoneight
10/24/2009, 11:40 PM
Depends on what you're asking IMO.

Tough S.O.B. who takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'... there's a helluva lot of wishbone QBs in OU's history alone who could vouch for this.

Best flash and dash? Best dual-threat? Most accomplished?

How about skills... throwing, footwork, ability to make plays when things break down, etc.

For a pro-style QB, Sam is up there in the top 5 I would imagine.

GottaHavePride
10/25/2009, 12:01 AM
Tough S.O.B. who takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'... there's a helluva lot of wishbone QBs in OU's history alone who could vouch for this.

And Nate Hybl.

goingoneight
10/25/2009, 12:07 AM
N8 = Greatest QB EVAR!!!1111!!!1

MichiganSooner
10/25/2009, 01:22 PM
Joe Montana at ND, Jim Plunkett at Stanford. Don't know if they were any better than Sam but they were pretty darn good.

Penguin
10/25/2009, 01:35 PM
Ryan Leaf?
Andre Ware?

:D

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2009, 01:45 PM
The Midget at BC was pretty damn good

stoopified
10/25/2009, 01:47 PM
That writer is genius.At the very least he is waaayyy smarter than the idiots who named VY as one of the 25 greatest players in CFB.

On a sidenote if Jimmy Harris is the best based on a career record of 25-0 does that mean Gene Calame (15-0) second best?Where does that leave Steve Davis (32-1-1)? Measuring greatnes purely on record is weak.On the other hand measuring greatness on stats alone is lame too.Individual stats and team accomplisment should BOTH be considered. In the end,it all comes down to personal preference,so I'll go with Sam.

StoopTroup
10/25/2009, 02:16 PM
TOF is right. Doug Flutie tore it up.

Nate Hybl wasn't the greatest ever....but he was one tough Son of a gun.

Peyton and Eli Manning....both pretty decent College QBs.

Dan Thompson
10/25/2009, 02:43 PM
I like everything about Sam except...

He should get rid off the ball before he gets sacked and not take the lost yardage, if he didn't keep the ball maybe he could use his right hand to help cushion his fall.

He should talk to the men's gymnastics coach on how to fall/land when he is getting sacked.

The_Red_Patriot
10/25/2009, 02:54 PM
Hate to say it.

Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart, Vince Young just to name a few.

COLLEGE QBs....

PDXsooner
10/25/2009, 03:58 PM
yea, let's take off the crimson and cream glasses and consider -- *gasp* tim tebow!?

the_edge
10/25/2009, 04:05 PM
Tommie Frazier.

ashley
10/25/2009, 04:05 PM
Last year I thought he was as good as I had seen sinse Elway. Our coaches will tell you that they have never had one close.

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2009, 07:35 PM
What about Turner Gill? He was pretty damn slick running that Nebraska offense

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2009, 07:35 PM
Hate to say it.

Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart, Vince Young just to name a few.

COLLEGE QBs....

VY doesn't belong; he basically had 1 great year and 2 mediocre ones

Frozen Sooner
10/25/2009, 07:38 PM
Since his college career is officially over now, absolutely not the best college QB ever. Wonderful QB. Great pocket passer. May turn out to be an amazing NFL QB.

Never won a bowl game. 1-2 vs. Texas as a starter.

Again, I love the kid and he's definitely one of my favorite players, but losing two out of three to your rival and losing both bowl games aren't things that appear on the resume of "greatest of all time."

Tulsa_Fireman
10/25/2009, 07:40 PM
I like everything about Sam except...

He should get rid off the ball before he gets sacked and not take the lost yardage, if he didn't keep the ball maybe he could use his right hand to help cushion his fall.

He should talk to the men's gymnastics coach on how to fall/land when he is getting sacked.

This drives me frickin' crazy.

So you're saying throw balls A) into coverage or B) away from inside the pocket when pressure is on him so he can C) use his hand to cushion his fall?

Do you realize how retarded that is? Not just 'job at McDonalds' retarded, that's full blown 'Simple Jack and helmets' retarded. I'll leave throwing the ball into coverage alone because if folks don't understand the concern with that, they too are retarded. The point is that sometimes the sack is the best option available to a QB when pressure comes and the checks aren't there. And getting hit by a fast 200+ pounds with his ears pinned back, hellbent for leather doesn't exactly promote "landing" in a manner that's most suitable to prevent injury. Specifically breaking one's fall with their throwing hand, pressing the body weight of yourself and the tackler on a wrist, radius, and ulna that aren't designed to handle that amount of weight.

And don't give me the "he should learn to spin/rotate/blah so he'll land on his back" crap. Again, 200+ pounds at full tilt boogie with nothing but destruction on his mind doesn't exactly promote "quality landing techniques". As I've mentioned before, he's a young man. Not a damned tomcat.

So with all that said, I like everything about your post except...

The content.

Sheesh.

MyT Oklahoma
10/25/2009, 07:57 PM
That writer is genius.At the very least he is waaayyy smarter than the idiots who named VY as one of the 25 greatest players in CFB.

On a sidenote if Jimmy Harris is the best based on a career record of 25-0 does that mean Gene Calame (15-0) second best?Where does that leave Steve Davis (32-1-1)? Measuring greatnes purely on record is weak.On the other hand measuring greatness on stats alone is lame too.Individual stats and team accomplisment should BOTH be considered. In the end,it all comes down to personal preference,so I'll go with Sam.

No offense but anyone (Harris and Davis) who brings home back to back national championships ranks pretty high in my book. I admire both but don't consider either to be my favorite OU quarterback of all time.

MyT Oklahoma
10/25/2009, 08:00 PM

No offense but anyone (Harris and Davis) who brings home back to back national championships ranks pretty high in my opinion. Although neither are my favorite all time OU quarterback.

MyT Oklahoma
10/25/2009, 08:01 PM
^^ It's nice to see that the board is moving slow once again tonight. LOL

StoopTroup
10/25/2009, 08:02 PM
Since his college career is officially over now

It is? Officially? You got a link?

westcoast_sooner
10/25/2009, 08:04 PM
This drives me frickin' crazy.

So you're saying throw balls A) into coverage or B) away from inside the pocket when pressure is on him so he can C) use his hand to cushion his fall?

Do you realize how retarded that is? Not just 'job at McDonalds' retarded, that's full blown 'Simple Jack and helmets' retarded. I'll leave throwing the ball into coverage alone because if folks don't understand the concern with that, they too are retarded. The point is that sometimes the sack is the best option available to a QB when pressure comes and the checks aren't there. And getting hit by a fast 200+ pounds with his ears pinned back, hellbent for leather doesn't exactly promote "landing" in a manner that's most suitable to prevent injury. Specifically breaking one's fall with their throwing hand, pressing the body weight of yourself and the tackler on a wrist, radius, and ulna that aren't designed to handle that amount of weight.

And don't give me the "he should learn to spin/rotate/blah so he'll land on his back" crap. Again, 200+ pounds at full tilt boogie with nothing but destruction on his mind doesn't exactly promote "quality landing techniques". As I've mentioned before, he's a young man. Not a damned tomcat.

So with all that said, I like everything about your post except...

The content.

Sheesh.

THIS!!! LMAO.

pilobolus
10/26/2009, 04:05 PM
I think the guy on the radio meant in terms of sheer ability, intelligence, accuracy, build, and so on. Not so much on accomplishments, that would of course be Tebow.:rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2009, 04:18 PM
Since his college career is officially over now, absolutely not the best college QB ever. Wonderful QB. Great pocket passer. May turn out to be an amazing NFL QB.

Again, I love the kid and he's definitely one of my favorite players, but losing two out of three to your rival and losing both bowl games aren't things that appear on the resume of "greatest of all time."

I tend to agree with this, but I say give the kid a mulligan and call it 1-1 as a starter against texass since he barely got to play this time and was leading when he went out. Otherwise, all good points in the grand scheme.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/26/2009, 04:27 PM
Tramel actually wrote a decent article today about Sam's place in OU History.

Link (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2009/10/25/so-long-sam-bradfords-place-in-ou-history/)

I definitely agree with what he says about Mildren and Heupel. Without Mildren, you have no Steve Davis, Thomas Lott, or J.C. Watts. Without Heupel, you have no Jason White or Sam Bradford.

rawlingsHOH
10/26/2009, 04:31 PM

1-1 against Texas. He wasn't the "pitcher of record" when Texas took the lead in 09. ;)

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/26/2009, 04:38 PM
1-1 against Texas. He wasn't the "pitcher of record" when Texas took the lead in 09. ;)

"Pitcher of record?" Is that a ping-pong term? ;)

Widescreen
10/26/2009, 04:41 PM
1-2 vs. Texas as a starter.

So he gets tagged with this year's loss against Texas after playing 1 series? LOL. Talk about a misleading comment.

TMcGee86
10/26/2009, 04:43 PM

Bingo.

Love the guy, but nwih I would ever label a person who never won a bowl game as the greatest qb of all time.

At this point he's slightly better than Jason White was. I could make the argument that with two good knees, Jason would have been more prolific. But then again, maybe his passing benefited from his forced lack of mobility.

Again, I love Sam, but this is way off imho.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2009, 11:29 PM
I would have to go with Tommy Frazier

SanJoaquinSooner
10/26/2009, 11:49 PM
Steve Davis was 32-1-1 and won two national championships.

comparing an option QB to a dropback passer may be orange vs apples, but...

Frozen Sooner
10/26/2009, 11:50 PM
So he gets tagged with this year's loss against Texas after playing 1 series? LOL. Talk about a misleading comment.

Was he or was he not the starter? Is toughness and ability to take a hit not a factor in "Greatest QB of all time?"

Again, I like Sam a lot, but when you throw around "Greatest of All Time" you've got to acknowledge the holes in the resume.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2009, 12:09 AM
Again Froze, I agree with you on the "not the greatest ever", just don't wanna place much blame on him for more than the bowls and the one texass loss.

Widescreen
10/27/2009, 10:11 AM
Was he or was he not the starter? Is toughness and ability to take a hit not a factor in "Greatest QB of all time?"

Again, I like Sam a lot, but when you throw around "Greatest of All Time" you've got to acknowledge the holes in the resume.

I said nothing about him being the greatest of all time. I just think the way you framed his record against Texas is silly. Yes, he's 1-2 against Texas as the starter. And that tells you absolutely zippo about how he performed and how much he actually was able to play. Trying to tag him with a loss he had absolutely nothing to do with is unfair IMO.

TMcGee86
10/27/2009, 10:16 AM
The more I think about it, the more I agree with froz. It would be one thing if he was just rolling out and popped an ACL. But avoiding the rush, and dealing with pain is something that makes someone a great QB.

Sam's still great, but no where near the greatest of all time. I dont even rank him as the greatest sooner of all time.