PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Okla-homey
10/24/2009, 09:27 AM
Ok. Here goes. I'm sure you're generally aware that physicians have a moral, ethical and legal obligation to "do no harm" to a patient. For example, say some knucklehead presents to a surgeon and asks him to amputate his healthy left hand because he thinks it would look cool. That surgeon is ethically and legally obligated to tell said knucklehead to go away. Politely of course.

Now, with that as a foundation, do you think tattooists should be under some sort of legal obligation to refuse to do the sort of thing in the below photo, because of its handicapping and disabling effect on the subject? Because let's face it, this is a permanent and disabling injury. Think about it. WTF would give this guy a job? And what's it going to look like when he's 50?

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5247/1023092mugs5.jpg

walkoffsooner
10/24/2009, 09:32 AM
I think they should be under some sort of do no harm law. This guy has mental problems, now he has appearance problems.

Tiptonsooner
10/24/2009, 09:52 AM
You can't fix stupid.

VeeJay
10/24/2009, 09:57 AM
What exactly is it?

Any clue? :confused:

SanJoaquinSooner
10/24/2009, 10:03 AM
What exactly is it?

Any clue? :confused:

It's a giant blackhead that's pussing up. Someone get a giant needle and pop it!

StoopTroup
10/24/2009, 10:12 AM
http://mediaswirl.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/tyson.jpg

OUHOMER
10/24/2009, 01:28 PM
plastic surgeons are the worst. IMO

btk108
10/24/2009, 01:38 PM
You can't fix stupid.
exactly...

StoopTroup
10/24/2009, 01:41 PM
Yes you can...but they won't do lobotomies anymore. Maybe the Obama Plan will start them up again.

SicEmBaylor
10/24/2009, 08:18 PM
Ok. Here goes. I'm sure you're generally aware that physicians have a moral, ethical and legal obligation to "do no harm" to a patient. For example, say some knucklehead presents to a surgeon and asks him to amputate his healthy left hand because he thinks it would look cool. That surgeon is ethically and legally obligated to tell said knucklehead to go away. Politely of course.

Now, with that as a foundation, do you think tattooists should be under some sort of legal obligation to refuse to do the sort of thing in the below photo, because of its handicapping and disabling effect on the subject? Because let's face it, this is a permanent and disabling injury. Think about it. WTF would give this guy a job? And what's it going to look like when he's 50?

Legal obligation? You find more and more ways for the government to infringe on personal liberty every single day.

To answer the question, no. If someone wants to do something as idiotic and stupid as having their face tattooed then this, last time I checked, is a free country.

You should have a legal right to be an idiot and moron as long as you aren't harming others.

What a dumb-*** question.

Turd_Ferguson
10/24/2009, 08:20 PM
Legal obligation? You find more and more ways for the government to infringe on personal liberty every single day.

To answer the question, no. If someone wants to do something as idiotic and stupid as having their face tattooed then this, last time I checked, a free country.

You should have a legal right to be an idiot and moron as long as you aren't harming others.

What a dumb-*** question.:pop:

SunnySooner
10/24/2009, 08:57 PM
Someday this moe-ron will realize what an idiot he is and it will cost him thousands of dollars to have these tatoos removed. Lesson learned. Does it pain me that people have fought and died for his right to be an idiot? Yes. But that's the thing about freedom...it means many different things to many different people. The same freedom that allows me to worship my God, criticize my president, and vote for the lesser of two evils also allows this guy to desecrate his own face. Weird how that works out, but you have to take the good with the bad.

GottaHavePride
10/24/2009, 09:04 PM
I say no. Idiots want to cover their face with tattoos? Let 'em. People want to have forked tongues? Let 'em. Let's not even mention CatMan.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/35580398_529e12c2e9.jpg

Wait, I just did. Anyway, let 'em.

They're free to do what they want, and I'm free to judge them based on their appearance.

tommieharris91
10/25/2009, 12:48 AM

C'mon man, do you think such legislation would ever pass any legal test where the 1st Amendment would be applied?

proud gonzo
10/25/2009, 01:40 AM
If somebody wants to pay you to get a stupid, ugly tattoo, why not?

SoonerKnight
10/25/2009, 01:53 AM
You can't fix stupid.

stupid is as stupid does. He won't live to be 50!

the_ouskull
10/25/2009, 02:09 AM
Yes you can...but they won't do lobotomies anymore. Maybe the Obama Plan will start them up again.

Where is William Shockley when this country REALLY needs him? Oh, that's right, he got accused of being a Nazi when he was really just trying to help save us from this fate we now seem to be resigned to.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
10/25/2009, 02:14 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/35580398_529e12c2e9.jpg

I remember back when it was essentially legal to beat up freaks like this, other than the parental reprimand. Back in those days, you didn't see people "progress" to this point, and, instead, you saw them become productive members of society, and go on to raise moderately well-adjusted offspring. Eventually, that cycle broke down, and created this sick freak.

Yay, America!

I mean, sure he has the RIGHT to look, uh, like a cat-person thing, but at the same time, my kids have the right to beat up his kids for it. He has the right to be laughed at at job interviews for it, and we have ALL failed him by allowed our society to get to the point that would allow him do to this in the first place. All it would have taken is one "Me" somewhere in his life. One "Me" to tell him, "Harvey, or whatever your name is, what the F*CK do you think you're doing?" Instead of trying to look like a p*ssy, why don't you go out and try to get some like a normal dude?" BAM! Problem solved.

the_ouskull

Okla-homey
10/25/2009, 05:18 AM

To answer the question, no. If someone wants to do something as idiotic and stupid as having their face tattooed then this, last time I checked, is a free country.

What a dumb-*** question.

lighten up skippy. You didn't answer the question I asked...which helps explain why you can't ever seem to graduate. Here's a tip that might help you get that bachelors before you're thirty: RTFQ.

The question was, should tattooists be allowed to do to a person what some tattooist did to the person in the photo, and if not, should there be some kind of legal ramifications for the tattooist.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2009, 05:45 AM
lighten up skippy. You didn't answer the question I asked...which helps explain why you can't ever seem to graduate. Here's a tip that might help you get that bachelors before you're thirty: RTFQ.

The question was, should tattooists be allowed to do to a person what some tattooist did to the person in the photo, and if not, should there be some kind of legal ramifications for the tattooist.

See, if you could stop being the arrogant d-bag that you are for just a moment you'd realize I answered your question precisely. If an individual wants to mutilate themselves then why should they not be allowed to do so because the tattoo artist is barred by law from doing so?

It'd be nice to outlaw everything I find repulsive as well. For example, I'd like to stop jackass tools that often, purposely, misspell words and use slang that's well below their education level in a vain attempt to appear cool. It'd also be really nice to take the keyboard away from guys who copy and paste from history.com's, "Today in History" column and pass it along as their own work every morning.

But, surely we both know you can neither stop tattoo artists from giving an individual the work they want nor ban plagiarist jerkoffs whose history lessons are so adolescent they'd bore a group of special-ed kids.

olevetonahill
10/25/2009, 05:59 AM
:pop:

Rogue
10/25/2009, 06:15 AM
Now, with that as a foundation, do you think tattooists should be under some sort of legal obligation to refuse to do the sort of thing in the below photo, because of its handicapping and disabling effect on the subject?

No. I agree with SicEm on this one.
The only ethics I need from my tattoo parlor is to employ good artists who will try to talk me out of a stupid idea and to keep the instruments surgically clean.

The doctors that made Jerry Jones and Dean Blevins look like aliens OTOH...:D

WTF would give this guy a job?

Don't know.
Maybe a tattoo parlor or a prison chain gang?

And what's it going to look like when he's 50?

Don't care.
Maybe he can use that Wrecking Balm I keep hearing about on the radio. ;)

What did you do to pissoff SicEm?

olevetonahill
10/25/2009, 06:26 AM
No. I agree with SicEm on this one.
The only ethics I need from my tattoo parlor is to employ good artists who will try to talk me out of a stupid idea and to keep the instruments surgically clean.

The doctors that made Jerry Jones and Dean Blevins look like aliens OTOH...:D

Don't know.
Maybe a tattoo parlor or a prison chain gang?

Don't care.
Maybe he can use that Wrecking Balm I keep hearing about on the radio. ;)

What did you do to pissoff SicEm?

Heh , Called him a Tard fer takin 8 yrs at Baylor and Not gettin his Degree yet.:D :pop:

Rogue
10/25/2009, 06:33 AM
Oh, O.K.

Hell I'd still be in college instead of working if I could figure out how to eat and have nice things too. Some fellers find a home in the military and never want to leave. I wasn't one of them. But OU...yeah I'd stay there forever if I could. :D

AlbqSooner
10/25/2009, 06:34 AM
For example, I'd like to stop jackass tools that often, purposely, misspell words and use slang that's well below their education level in a vain attempt to appear cool.

Yer gittin on mah last nerve.:D

dolemitesooner
10/25/2009, 07:32 AM
"Arrogant D -bag"

Sic-em you do realize that even with a gun your puny *** would get killed buy homey.

Hell I think Gonzo could beat you up.

Lets calm down small fry

Half a Hundred
10/25/2009, 07:41 AM
We're missing the point here... it's likely that he didn't get that tattoo in any sort of legitimate, licensed tattooing shop, anyway. You aren't going to regulate a guy in the pokey for 3-5 with a needle and shoe polish

Okla-homey
10/25/2009, 10:39 AM
nor ban plagiarist jerkoffs whose history lessons are so adolescent they'd bore a group of special-ed kids.

I will of course defer to your informed judgment as to what would bore the subject demographic. And here's a newsflash. Nobody thinks those things are written from scratch and they've never been claimed to be. I pull them, search for and add illustrations, caption same, and add material from other sources as well. For fun. For free. Big whoop.

1890MilesToNorman
10/25/2009, 10:48 AM
Anyone have the oath handy that a tattooist takes? If he takes no oath then he is not obligated in anyway except to provide the service requested. If society passes a law then that's different.

StoopTroup
10/25/2009, 11:02 AM
So we ain't got an answer yet? I thought for sure we have some tat experts on the board.

Breadburner
10/25/2009, 11:32 AM
Yes....Lets protect people from themselves....Yawnnnn....

olevetonahill
10/25/2009, 01:28 PM
I will of course defer to your informed judgment as to what would bore the subject demographic. And here's a newsflash. Nobody thinks those things are written from scratch and they've never been claimed to be. I pull them, search for and add illustrations, caption same, and add material from other sources as well. For fun. For free. Big whoop.

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :D

Tailwind
10/25/2009, 01:51 PM
There's something in a Sunday.....

Okla-homey
10/25/2009, 02:24 PM
Yes....Lets protect people from themselves....Yawnnnn....

It's really more complicated than that. Think about. Say some childless twenty year old walks in to his or her doctor and announces he or she is dead-bang certain he or she doesn't want kids. Ever. And therefore wants a vasectomy or tubal ligation to ensure there will be no kids.

Now, to how many docs would that person have to present before one would perform said surgery? I bet a bunch. If any would.

I just wonder if there is some kind of tattooist code of ethics that says they shouldn't put certain stuff on people's bodies in certain places because of the severely disabling consequences on the customer.

Breadburner
10/25/2009, 02:40 PM
They won't perform surgery like that on someone so young.....For fear of litigation......Not to mention the fact thats not a very good analogy....Now a tit job on the other hand she would have no problem.....

Rogue
10/25/2009, 08:16 PM
No hippocratic oath in the skin tinting trade, Homey.

StoopTroup
10/25/2009, 08:29 PM
It's really more complicated than that. Think about. Say some childless twenty year old walks in to his or her doctor and announces he or she is dead-bang certain he or she doesn't want kids. Ever. And therefore wants a vasectomy or tubal ligation to ensure there will be no kids.

Now, to how many docs would that person have to present before one would perform said surgery? I bet a bunch. If any would.

I just wonder if there is some kind of tattooist code of ethics that says they shouldn't put certain stuff on people's bodies in certain places because of the severely disabling consequences on the customer.

There used to be but it seems that last run of "Tats are cool and so is heroin" put an end to any ethics in that business.