PDA

View Full Version : Team of the 1990s debate

SteelClip49
10/23/2009, 05:20 AM
I don't know if there really is one but over on the ESPN boards it seems that FSU is a slight leader over Nebraska and I have ruled in favor of Nebraska despite their 0-3 record vs Florida State.

Here are the comparisons.....

FLORIDA STATE
- 10 Top Five Finishes
- 02 Heisman Winners
- 110 Victories
- 08 Bowl Victories
- 02 National Titles (1 controversial claim)
- 16 Game Winning Streak (Twice)
- Played for 4 national titles
- (7-4-1) vs. Florida; (6-4) vs. Miami; (3-0) vs. Nebraska
- Best team (1999)

NEBRASKA
- 05 Top Five Finishes
- 108 Victories
- 05 Bowl Victories
- 03 Undisputed Undefeated National Titles in FOUR years
- 26 Game Winning Streak (94-96)
- Played for 4 national titles in FIVE years
- (7-1) vs. Oklahoma; (8-1-1) vs. Colorado; (9-1) vs. Kansas State

My ruling is in favor of NEBRASKA because of the 3 undefeated national titles in a four year span and one of those years (1995) being voted my an overwhelming majority as the best team in college football history which included wins over final AP/Coaches Poll Top 10 teams in Florida, Kansas State, Kansas and Colorado and twice their closest to losing a game was by 14 points.

1. Nebraska
2. Florida State
3. Florida
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Colorado
7. Tennessee
8. Virginia Tech
9. Kansas State
10. Penn State

And just for giggles....my opinion for other teams of the decades....

40s- Notre Dame
50s- Oklahoma
60s- Alabama
70s- DRAW (USC, OU, BAMA)
80s- Miami
90s- Nebraska
00s- (AT THIS POINT) USC

Remaining 2000s candidates- Florida, Texas, LSU (all 3 Yuck)

rawlingsHOH
10/23/2009, 08:41 AM
FLORIDA STATE
- 02 National Titles (1 controversial claim)

NEBRASKA
- 03 Undisputed Undefeated National Titles

Oh really?

josh09
10/23/2009, 09:02 AM
USC has won 1 National Title, and made it to 2. Theres no way they should take credit for 2003. Id say Florida is this decade's team, only judging by national titles though, not wins. They kind of came on later in the decade than us, texas, LSU and USC.

00's
1. Florida
2. Oklahoma
3. USC
4. Texas
5. LSU

Ive never had respect for LSU's 2007 National Title, and I think Texas has been a stronger team overall.

Sooner04
10/23/2009, 09:06 AM
I'd call Nebraska's '97 title HEAVILY disputed.

SoonerAtKU
10/23/2009, 09:42 AM
Michigan would like a word with you.

Also USC is in no way the team of this decade. They're a great program, but one title and one title appearance doesn't cut it with the caliber of teams we've seen so far. At this point, you'd have to say Texas, LSU, Florida, or Oklahoma. LSU has had down years, Florida came on late, Texas has only one title, OU has one title and 2 bad years. It has to come down to who finishes this year. As much as I hate to say it, it's going to be Texas or Florida, depending on the title this year.

Jacie
10/23/2009, 06:17 PM
Roll Tide roll!

the_edge
10/23/2009, 07:54 PM
I'd call Nebraska's '97 title HEAVILY disputed.

Michigan would like a word with you.

Nebraska would have killed Michigan that year. Nebraska murderized Peyton Manning in the Orange Bowl, and Michigan should have lost (horrible refs) to Ryan Leaf in the Rose Bowl.

rawlingsHOH
10/23/2009, 08:09 PM
Nebraska would have killed Michigan that year. Nebraska murderized Peyton Manning in the Orange Bowl, and Michigan should have lost (horrible refs) to Ryan Leaf in the Rose Bowl.
Regardless, it was voted a SPLIT title.

So to say FSU had a "controversial" claim, and Nebraska had 3 "undisputed" titles, is factually incorrect.

the_edge
10/23/2009, 08:58 PM
Regardless, it was voted a SPLIT title.

So to say FSU had a "controversial" claim, and Nebraska had 3 "undisputed" titles, is factually incorrect.

Oh, I totally agree there. That split title in 1997 is what ultimately ushered in the BCS.

Salt City Sooner
10/23/2009, 11:41 PM
Doesn't matter what we think would've happened (& FWIW, I do believe that NU would've won that matchup). It's what DID happen that has to be taken into consideration. NU needed a totally blown call on an illegal play to get out of Columbia with that win. MU needed no such screwup. I also have a very difficult time believing that they'd have won even the split vote that they did had Osborne's retirement not been announced previously.

SteelClip49
10/24/2009, 12:09 AM
FSU's 1993 claim is bogus seeing how they lost to Notre Dame and Notre Dame also finished with one loss.

Nebraska's 1997 title is undisputed because they went undefeated and no one denied them. Michigan did get the AP but how are you going to deny the Heisman winner a share of the natioanl title?

Mississippi Sooner
10/24/2009, 06:53 AM
I would give team of the 90s to Nebraska, but as that decade wore on, I always thought to myself "they only rose to this height because Barry is no longer at OU."

aero
10/24/2009, 11:06 AM
what about Bama? didn't they add 6 more titles in the 90's?

westbrooke
10/24/2009, 11:48 AM
FSU's 1993 claim is bogus seeing how they lost to Notre Dame and Notre Dame also finished with one loss.

Nebraska's 1997 title is undisputed because they went undefeated and no one denied them. Michigan did get the AP but how are you going to deny the Heisman winner a share of the natioanl title?

I'm assuming these are your own assessments rather than statements of fact. FSU was named national champion in 1993 by every major poll. In 1997, Nebraska (ESPN/USA Today) and Michigan (AP, Football Writers Association of America, National Football Foundation) split those honors.

Incidentally, there was an undefeated team in 1993, but Tommy Bowden's Auburn team was on probation. Also, 1994 ended with two undeated teams, though Nebraska was the consensus national champion and all Penn State got was a billboard outside State College reminding people they existed.