PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

I Am Right
10/22/2009, 05:13 PM
Has anyone upgraded to Windows 7 for their vista 64 bit computer? I heard today that you must wipe out vista before installing.

OKLA21FAN
10/22/2009, 05:16 PM
I would anyway

Vista is da debel

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/22/2009, 05:53 PM
there is an upgrade option, or at least there was when i upgraded a year ago. the "preferred" method is to backup your data and do a clean install.

in general, 7 is so much better than vista it isn't funny. i will suggest that you disable "aero peak" though. you don't realize how much your mouse slides after you let it go until you have this feature enabled.

King Crimson
10/22/2009, 06:19 PM
i use windows mojave.

I Am Right
10/22/2009, 09:28 PM
What about free virus software, any good choices?

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2009, 09:32 PM

AVG, but honestly I wouldn't install anti-virus software. Make sure you have a decent firewall and be careful about what websites you visit and what attachments you download and you shouldn't have a problem.

I haven't had a virus in many many years, and I never had the problems that everyone else seemed to have with Vista.

Also, if you're using IE then don't. Download Firefox or Chrome.

YWIA

GottaHavePride
10/22/2009, 09:34 PM
I actually think anti-virus software is worth paying for.

Trend Micro.

OKLA21FAN
10/22/2009, 09:34 PM
AVG, but honestly I wouldn't install anti-virus software. Make sure you have a decent firewall and be careful about what websites you visit and what attachments you download and you shouldn't have a problem.

I haven't had a virus in many many years, and I never had the problems that everyone else seemed to have with Vista.

Also, if you're using IE then don't. Download Firefox or Chrome.

YWIA

AVG...there is no substitute

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2009, 09:37 PM
I actually think anti-virus software is worth paying for.

Trend Micro.

It's bloated crap. If you're that worried about it download AVG once a month and do a sweep and then uninstall.

I haven't believed in anti-virus software in a long time. I think it's wholly unnecessary.

soonerhubs
10/22/2009, 09:39 PM
UBUNTU!

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2009, 09:39 PM
Has anyone upgraded to Windows 7 for their vista 64 bit computer? I heard today that you must wipe out vista before installing.

You don't have to, but I would definitely recommend you do so. Backup your data, format your HD, and do a clean install from scratch. Windows 7 will run much better if you do.

Anyway, 7 is amazing. I ran every build from beta to RC1 and even in beta form it beat the **** out of Vista.

King Crimson
10/22/2009, 09:44 PM
UBUNTU!

i've been using ubuntu on my laptop and i dig it.

avg and spybot have been solid for me for years.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2009, 09:48 PM
Eh, I'll stick with OS X

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2009, 09:50 PM
Eh, I'll stick with OS X

I'm sold on OSX. However, I'm going to dual-boot Windows 7/OSX with boot camp as soon as I get a copy. I have a lifetime's worth of Windows software that's going to waste.

I Am Right
10/23/2009, 07:11 AM
there is an upgrade option, or at least there was when i upgraded a year ago. the "preferred" method is to backup your data and do a clean install.

in general, 7 is so much better than vista it isn't funny. i will suggest that you disable "aero peak" though. you don't realize how much your mouse slides after you let it go until you have this feature enabled.

Windows came out yesterday 10/22/09. first release.

I Am Right
10/23/2009, 07:13 AM
It's bloated crap. If you're that worried about it download AVG once a month and do a sweep and then uninstall.

I haven't believed in anti-virus software in a long time. I think it's wholly unnecessary.

My IT guy said the same thing. use windows firewall and get free AVG.

I Am Right
10/23/2009, 07:15 AM
My understanding is that Windows 7 comes with any virus and internet security you will ever need, upgraded at no cost.

C&CDean
10/23/2009, 08:31 AM
Geez y'all are geeks. I've never done any of the things y'all are talking about here.

And I am pissed at Windows 7 anyhow. It surpassed HP and the Deathly Hallows as the most pre-ordered "item" in history. Lots and lots of geeky mother****ers out there...

yermom
10/23/2009, 09:36 AM
i guess i don't see pre-ordering something that is going to be pushed on you anyway...

i'll probably stick with XP for what little i need Windows for. if i buy a new machine, then i guess i'll worry about it

StoopTroup
10/23/2009, 09:49 AM

WTH do you know about computers?

StoopTroup
10/23/2009, 09:51 AM

Like I'm gonna be careful....lol

Also...Pete Carroll's Trojan Horse is probably raping you and you don't even know it.

Sooner_Havok
10/23/2009, 10:30 AM
I'm sold on OSX. However, I'm going to dual-boot Windows 7/OSX with boot camp as soon as I get a copy. I have a lifetime's worth of Windows software that's going to waste.

Yeah, I will update to 7 sooner or later for my boot camp partition. Although, I am booting Vista Enterprise right now, and it seems to run well enough.

On a sad side note, my windows rating for Vista is 5.9 :eek: Running on a MacBook Pro my rating is higher than my buddy running on a just-as-new desktop.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2009, 10:55 AM
Windows came out yesterday 10/22/09. first release.

this is one of those alanis ironic moments...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2009, 10:56 AM
WTH do you know about computers?

that would depend on the business requirements ;)

49r
10/23/2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

As good as AVG apparently...

SicEmBaylor
10/23/2009, 04:12 PM
Geez y'all are geeks. I've never done any of the things y'all are talking about here.

And I am pissed at Windows 7 anyhow. It surpassed HP and the Deathly Hallows as the most pre-ordered "item" in history. Lots and lots of geeky mother****ers out there...

When I was in Middle School, I talked my parents into letting me stand in line in Tulsa all night for the midnight release of Windows 95.

btk108
10/23/2009, 04:45 PM
clean windows?...hell...I don't even vacuum...

bluedogok
10/23/2009, 08:23 PM
I have read if you go from Vista 32-bit to Win7 64-bit, then you need to do a fresh install, Vista64 to Win7-64 is an "upgrade" option.

I Am Right
10/23/2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks, but already upgraded, works fine. Never need to buy another virus software. Smooth with upgrade from vista 64, not so smooth upgrade XP, had to completely wipe drive clean and do a fresh install, then add drivers and software. Not to easy. Make sure up backup XP before removing.

I Am Right
10/23/2009, 09:04 PM
Me---- member of Geek squad. Geees

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/24/2009, 06:46 PM
I have read if you go from Vista 32-bit to Win7 64-bit, then you need to do a fresh install, Vista64 to Win7-64 is an "upgrade" option.

i went from vista 32 to win 7 64 without a clean install.

soonerboomer93
10/24/2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I will update to 7 sooner or later for my boot camp partition. Although, I am booting Vista Enterprise right now, and it seems to run well enough.

On a sad side note, my windows rating for Vista is 5.9 :eek: Running on a MacBook Pro my rating is higher than my buddy running on a just-as-new desktop.

your performance rating is based on the worst performing aspect of the system though. On most systems, it's going to be the integrated graphics card.

bluedogok
10/25/2009, 01:30 PM
The "performance rating" can be a crock as well, at work I have a Dual Xeon Quads (3.0GHz) CPU's with dual Nvidia Quadro FX1700 video cards and 8GB of Ram and the "rating" isn't much higher than my laptop because the video cards are low on the "gaming index", the same with my home desktop, a Core i7-920 with 12GB of RAM and a FirePro video card. I know those cards will smoke a "gaming" card at what I need them to do.

sooners2win
10/25/2009, 01:51 PM

Avast, the best! Try the 5.0 Beta, it is in stage 2 of the beta testing and very stable at this point. By the way AVG SUCKS, Avira is also very good...but this new Avast is by far the best free AV

soonerboomer93
10/25/2009, 11:12 PM
i hade to wipe and reinstall someone's computer

it was protected by avast...