PDA

View Full Version : Having lunch with The King

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2009, 12:21 PM
Run into Barry all the time in Norman. First time Ive chatted him up in the city. (Gourmet Deli on Western)

I enjoy that he recognizes me, even though it has been forever since I babysat his kiddos.

picasso
10/22/2009, 12:23 PM
ask him if he needs any paintings.;)

TMcGee86
10/22/2009, 12:23 PM
well, I would think you have to be one of the few talking bandana's that he sees on a regular basis.

JLEW1818
10/22/2009, 12:24 PM
ask him if he will send SoonerFans an open letter

Mississippi Sooner
10/22/2009, 12:42 PM
Tell him I fished an old jewelry box out of the river that has his name on it.

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2009, 12:54 PM
He laughed about the paintings.

Said Kathy is in charge of decorating his new house.

StoopTroup
10/22/2009, 01:11 PM
Ummmm....let him know we want out at halftime for a beer.

TIA

ST

SPuL
10/22/2009, 01:36 PM
ask him if he will send SoonerFans an open letter
:D

C&CDean
10/22/2009, 01:41 PM
pfft. I had lunch today with STEP.

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/22/2009, 02:00 PM
pfft. I had lunch today with STEP.

ask him if he will send SoonerFans an open letter.

JLEW1818
10/22/2009, 02:17 PM
SoonerFans sent me an open letter

SunnySooner
10/22/2009, 02:54 PM
:P You all WISH you could have an open letter...DREAM ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2009, 10:16 PM
I think it's really surreal that I have ended up dining in the same place with The King 3 times this year...Misal...Tarahumara and The Gourmet Deli. Hmmmm.

The OVJ Boy

btk108
10/22/2009, 10:21 PM
Ummmm....let him know we want out at halftime for a beer.

what he said....:D

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 10:26 PM
I think it's really surreal that I have ended up dining in the same place with The King 3 times this year...Misal...Tarahumara and The Gourmet Deli. Hmmmm.

The OVJ Boy

He can talk and he can eat. I've had the pleasure of visiting with him a couple of times at corporate outings and at a fine BBQ establishment in Tioga, texass.

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 10:30 PM
He can talk and he can eat. I've had the pleasure of visiting with him a couple of times at corporate outings and at a fine BBQ establishment in Tioga, texass.

Most overrated overpriced BBQ in the world right there in Tioga.

picasso
10/22/2009, 10:55 PM
He laughed about the paintings.

Said Kathy is in charge of decorating his new house.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/palm/blog/jalexander_375x375.jpg
You sunzabitddches!

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 10:56 PM
Most overrated overpriced BBQ in the world right there in Tioga.

I have not been there in several years. The very first time I went in there myself and 3 other guys from Sherman, TX were coming back from playing golf in Muenster, texass and drove to Tioga to eat there, we walked in and there was Switzer. We sat at a table right by him and he talked to us non-stop (he did 98% of the talking). It was awesome. I liked that BBQ, (mainly the pie that I remember).

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:09 PM
I have not been there in several years. The very first time I went in there myself and 3 other guys from Sherman, TX were coming back from playing golf in Muenster, texass and drove to Tioga to eat there, we walked in and there was Switzer. We sat at a table right by him and he talked to us non-stop (he did 98% of the talking). It was awesome. I liked that BBQ, (mainly the pie that I remember).

If you were in Muenster you should have ate there or stopped on your way through Lindsay and ate at the Smokehouse.

Clark's (Tioga) does have good pie, to me though their BBQ is blech...

unbiasedtruth
10/22/2009, 11:12 PM
If you were in Muenster you should have ate there or stopped on your way through Lindsay and ate at the Smokehouse.

Clark's has gone downhill ever since the original owner passed on a few years back......

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:13 PM
Hey TXBOOMER, I've overlooked the obvious -- the BBQ was so good because you were graced with the presence of the King. ;) :D

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 11:14 PM

LOL...I've ate at the one in Lindsay, it is good. The guys I was with were going on about how good the one in Tioga was so we went there. I have not been to Turtle Hill in a few years I like that track, not much trouble on it.

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:15 PM
Clark's has gone downhill ever since the original owner passed on a few years back......

I know the place has an outstanding reputation, or did maybe. Me and some folks were talking BBQ a few weeks ago and the subject of Clark's overratedness came up. I didn't know the original owner had passed.

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 11:15 PM
Hey TXBOOMER, I've overlooked the obvious -- the BBQ was so good because you were graced with the presence of the King. ;) :D

That definately gave that place eternal sentimental value to me without a doubt.

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:16 PM
LOL...I've ate at the one in Lindsay, it is good. The guys I was with were going on about how good the one in Tioga was so we went there. I have not been to Turtle Hill in a few years I like that track, not much trouble on it.

Driven right by Turtle Hill but never played it. I should remedy that one of these days.

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 11:17 PM
I know the place has an outstanding reputation, or did maybe. Me and some folks were talking BBQ a few weeks ago and the subject of Clark's overratedness came up. I didn't know the original owner had passed.

Did you ever eat at Bob's BBQ in Ada? Back in the 80's it was the best.

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:19 PM

Nope, never did. My all-time fave was a joint in Colbert that first went by the name: Po Sam's, and then when his son started running it as Archie's.

Alas, the place has been closed down years now. :(

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 11:24 PM
Nope, never did. My all-time fave was a joint in Colbert that first went by the name: Po Sam's, and then when his son started running it as Archie's.

Alas, the place has been closed down years now. :(

I had no idea Colbert had a BBQ place...LOL...I'm an SOSU alum. :D

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:26 PM
I had no idea Colbert had a BBQ place...LOL...I'm an SOSU alum. :D

Same here, last time I ate there was in prolly like...1991. I don't know how long after that the place closed.

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 11:30 PM
Same here, last time I ate there was in prolly like...1991. I don't know how long after that the place closed.

Cool..I graduated in 94. Did you play ball?

Curly Bill
10/22/2009, 11:35 PM
Cool..I graduated in 94. Did you play ball?

Graduated in 89. One of my lasting regrets is that I did not try to play ball while in college. Coming out of high school I wasn't near ready. Actually got a lot better while in college and just never took the plunge.

Of course when I got there it was in the Rodman years so the thought of walking onto that team was a bit daunting.

unbiasedtruth
10/23/2009, 01:20 AM

yes he, the original owner was wrtten up in Newsweek or Time as one of the best back in the late 80's..... I dont know when he exactly passed, I just remember someone telling me he had and that his kids run the place now (????)

I havent been there in years, probably 1999 or so....

unbiasedtruth
10/23/2009, 01:26 AM

Bob's was good in its day.... used to eat there all the time in the 70's on the way back from Centralhoma quail hunting with my father up till the mid 80's when I moved to Baja Oklahoma.

My dad always liked a place called Wild Horse over in the eastern part of the state south of Sallisaw I believe.

Best I ever had though was in an old shack outside a man's house in Seminole. His wife made the best damn fried pies too. Took me almost 5 years but before he passed he taught me his secrets to good bar-b-que. Talked my dad in giving up our table and chairs to 3 elderly women and we went and ate outside in a sleet/snow storm. My father and I always ate there coming back from Weleekta or Wetumku quail hunting.

OUmillenium
10/23/2009, 08:39 AM
My favorite was Jiggs in Clinton. GMA did a special from their in the 90s and listed Jiggs as the best beef jerky in the USA. I always enjoyed the giant BBQ brisket sandwich + beans. It has also been closed for a few years.

btk108
10/23/2009, 09:15 AM
My favorite was Jiggs in Clinton. GMA did a special from their in the 90s and listed Jiggs as the best beef jerky in the USA. I always enjoyed the giant BBQ brisket sandwich + beans. It has also been closed for a few years.

???...Jiggs is still open

SunnySooner
10/23/2009, 09:15 AM
My dad always liked a place called Wild Horse over in the eastern part of the state south of Sallisaw I believe.

Grew up just east of Sallisaw, LOVED Wild Horse--I remember on Sundays hoping we could beat the Methodists out of church and go get a bunch to go, cause if you got there too late, they would run out of meat--it was such a tiny little place, I guess they could only make so much at a time. Haven't been there in forever! There are some pretty good BBQ places here, but Wild Horse is still my fave, meat always had such a good smoky flavor even without the sauce. Damn, I'm hungry now!!!:D

Johnny Utah
10/23/2009, 09:30 AM
Grew up just east of Sallisaw, LOVED Wild Horse--I remember on Sundays hoping we could beat the Methodists out of church and go get a bunch to go, cause if you got there too late, they would run out of meat--it was such a tiny little place, I guess they could only make so much at a time. Haven't been there in forever! There are some pretty good BBQ places here, but Wild Horse is still my fave, meat always had such a good smoky flavor even without the sauce. Damn, I'm hungry now!!!:D

I stumbled upon the Wild Horse while traveling on bidness in eastern OK and thought it was the greatest bbq as well as "dining experience". I always looked for a way to get back there but never was able to.

How long u been in Jax and where have u eaten bbq there (other than Bonos, Woodys or Sonnys)? (I lived there from '87-'99 and Jenkins and another I can't recall were the best).

SunnySooner
10/23/2009, 09:42 AM
I stumbled upon the Wild Horse while traveling on bidness in eastern OK and thought it was the greatest bbq as well as "dining experience". I always looked for a way to get back there but never was able to.

How long u been in Jax and where have u eaten bbq there (other than Bonos, Woodys or Sonnys)? (I lived there from '87-'99 and Jenkins and another I can't recall were the best).

We've been here about 2 1/2 years, we live in Mandarin, but we like this little place over by the base, dang, can't think of the name of it, been a while since we've been there. Going over to that side later today, maybe we'll have lunch there, since I'm now craving BBQ, lol! It's just a little Mom and Pop place, but it's always been pretty good. Were there any places you liked?

Johnny Utah
10/23/2009, 09:48 AM
We've been here about 2 1/2 years, we live in Mandarin, but we like this little place over by the base, dang, can't think of the name of it, been a while since we've been there. Going over to that side later today, maybe we'll have lunch there, since I'm now craving BBQ, lol! It's just a little Mom and Pop place, but it's always been pretty good. Were there any places you liked?

Checker BBQ (and not the drive-thru fast-food chain) was the other place. It's at 3566 Saint Augustine Rd which is somewhat convenient to Mandarin. We first lived in Mandarin (off Orange Picker Rd w of SR13), then moved across the river to Eagle Harbor. We're in Atlanta now and kinda miss the somewhat slower pace.

SunnySooner
10/23/2009, 09:54 AM
Checker BBQ (and not the drive-thru fast-food chain) was the other place. It's at 3566 Saint Augustine Rd which is somewhat convenient to Mandarin. We first lived in Mandarin (off Orange Picker Rd w of SR13), then moved across the river to Eagle Harbor. We're in Atlanta now and kinda miss the somewhat slower pace.

We'll give it a try, not far at all. Have friends in EH, that is really pretty over there. We looked at some houses there when we moved, ended up in Mandarin cause it was such an easier commute for the hubby, but I really like that whole area. And I love Jax, if I could just get rid of all the stinkin Gators, it would be awesome!!!:D

zeptrey
10/23/2009, 10:06 AM
If we are talkin' BBQ you guys are missing some very obvious choices. Leo's, Tom's and Ken's are the best BBQ joints in the State. Ken's has the best Ribs...don't even think about usin' sauce on those ribs. Leo's and Tom's to me are a close second, but I can't pick one over the other. Leo's has awesome sauce, ribs, and of course cake. However, Tom's has awesome sauce, ribs and hot links. Oh and Jiggs is definitely still open and they do make the best Jerky I've ever had.

picasso
10/23/2009, 10:09 AM
If we are talkin' BBQ you guys are missing some very obvious choices. Leo's, Tom's and Ken's are the best BBQ joints in the State. Ken's has the best Ribs...don't even think about usin' sauce on those ribs. Leo's and Tom's to me are a close second, but I can't pick one over the other. Leo's has awesome sauce, ribs, and of course cake. However, Tom's has awesome sauce, ribs and hot links. Oh and Jiggs is definitely still open and they do make the best Jerky I've ever had.

Mack's in Skiatook.

Sooner04
10/23/2009, 10:12 AM
Some of the worst BBQ I ever had in my life was at the Smokehouse in Lindsay.

There used to be a place at the corner of Jenkins and Lindsey called Big H's House of Ribs. It closed about six years ago, and I still haven't recovered from the shock of seeing that door locked. I yearn for it to this day.

The Student Special: chopped beef sandwich, fries and a drink. I'd eat that four or five times a week and it was always outstanding. The most perfect BBQ I've ever encountered anywhere, and I've eaten the stuff all over the country.

If dreams do come true, when I get to heaven there'll be a Student Special there waiting for me.

Johnny Utah
10/23/2009, 10:15 AM
We'll give it a try, not far at all. Have friends in EH, that is really pretty over there. We looked at some houses there when we moved, ended up in Mandarin cause it was such an easier commute for the hubby, but I really like that whole area. And I love Jax, if I could just get rid of all the stinkin Gators, it would be awesome!!!:D

I'd advise going during the day ... not sure if its even open for dinner. Gators weren't too bad when we were there but can imagine now. We go to Crescent Beach at least every other year for a little beach vacay and the recent success seems to have brought them all outg of the woodwork. There are plenty of Gator bandwagonners (as well as every other SEC school) here in the Atlanta area, but what should you expect.

Johnny Utah
10/23/2009, 10:15 AM

Used to frequent Leo's and Tom's as often as possible ... good stuff!

Johnny Utah
10/23/2009, 11:09 AM
I guess I'm on a roll here (no pun intended, and what happens when one knows more about trivial stuff then football).

I worked at Harold's for a couple of years in the late '70's while in school, and The King had a weekly tv show that Harold's sponsored. One year I had the pleasure and privelege of basically following Barry and Harold (who was kind of a piece of work himself) around the store, while Harold tried to "outfit" Barry for his show. I remember that Harold was trying to outfit Barry in Polo, Southwick, or other gear that he wanted to pimp on tv, whereas Barry (bootleggers boy that he is) went for the suede and ultra-suede sport jackets. Good memories.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/23/2009, 11:14 AM
whereas Barry (bootleggers boy that he is) went for the suede and ultra-suede sport jackets.

And Sansabelt pants!

TXBOOMER
10/23/2009, 11:51 AM

Where is Ken's? I've heard of it before.

TXBOOMER
10/23/2009, 11:57 AM
While we are at it. I live in Lake Dallas. If any of you ever notice the black and white pig bar b q pit right before you go ver the Lake Lewisville Bridge, that is I beleive called Hickory Creek Bar BQ. Their meat is alright but they have pecan smoked sausage and hotlinks that are as good as I've found. You should try it if you are ever through this pit of texass.

zeptrey
10/23/2009, 12:23 PM
Ken's is in Amber-Pocasset between Minco and Chickasha on Hwy 81. Don't eat the steak there. The steak is good just not nearly as good as the ribs. They have an awesome salad bar there too that has beans, okra and all kinds of awesome stuff on it. Oh yeah they give you complimentary rib basket if it is your first time there as well.

Here is the address:
408 E Main Street
Amber, OK 73004

Johnny Utah
10/23/2009, 01:23 PM
And Sansabelt pants!

Yea :) but not from Harold's ... those were for gamedays (and red if I recall).

humblesooner
10/23/2009, 03:56 PM

The OVJ Boy

Sounds like you are getting close to Stalker status.

TXBOOMER
10/23/2009, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you are getting close to Stalker status.

I heard the King was down at the courthouse today getting a protective order. Not sure who it was on but you may be on to something. :D

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 07:20 PM
Where is Ken's? I've heard of it before.

I hope not Kens Truck Stop. Srlsy, Wynnewood exit??

unbiasedtruth
10/23/2009, 11:02 PM

glad I could could bring those memories back Sunny. My father when he retired contracted out to the state basically doing what the people who worked for him did and he made 3-4 times the money... (thank you Oklahoma taxpayers for my inheritance....:D ) he travelled the state and knew so many little diners, drive-ins and dives across the state it was unreal.

Oktaha - Wolfingers wasnt bad in its day on old 69. used to stop there on the way to Colcord and the family farm.

and a place about 10-12 miles south of I-40 going to Cordell, Ok. Bessie if I recall right. We would drive out of our way coming back from quail hunting in and around the grasslands north of elk city and stop there for lamb fries....

oh and does anybody remember the original Pick's tamales in Davis.... used to buy those things for 60 cents a dozen wrapped in newspaper and twine coming back from fishing all day at Mountain Lake before it got ruin by the pressure of trophy bass fisherman....