PDA

View Full Version : Tailoring the "O" to the QBs Strengths

Sooner04
10/21/2009, 04:48 PM
We always see offenses evolve to take advantage of what your starter brings to the table.

I'm not being petty here, and this is an honest question: what does Landry do well?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think we know yet honestly....

Boomer.....
10/21/2009, 04:49 PM
He has a strong arm but just needs to work on field vision and accuracy. Sam had the same problems when he first started.

Boomer.....
10/21/2009, 04:50 PM
Grow a mustache. (sort of)

Gresho Murford
10/21/2009, 04:50 PM
He is accurate. Has zip on his balls. and is pretty confident for a freshman

Soonerwake
10/21/2009, 04:52 PM
Seems to throw well on the run. Strong arm and can make the throws when his first option is open. Gets into trouble forcing into coverage and making additional reads. Kinda like a RS-freshman...

Roll him out, throw quick crossing patterns, stuff like that.

Sooner04
10/21/2009, 04:53 PM
He has a strong arm but just needs to work on field vision and accuracy. Sam had the same problems when he first started.Accuracy? Sam set the school record for consecutive completions in his second career start!

Breadburner
10/21/2009, 04:55 PM
He would benefit most from the run game.....

JLEW1818
10/21/2009, 04:57 PM
He would benefit most from the run game.....

wish we had one

but we play tech and Nevada football now

THE STUPID PISTOL ??? ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2009, 04:59 PM
I would have to disagree with throwing on the run...he short armed several passes once flushed out of the pocket...sometimes without needing to, he left the pocket...

There isn't much I can say about him that I know for sure...I think by his 3rd or 4th conference game, we'll know

AC

Soonerwake
10/21/2009, 05:00 PM
wish we had one

Go drink something. You will feel better.

rawlingsHOH
10/21/2009, 05:03 PM
We always see offenses evolve to take advantage of what your starter brings to the table.

I'm not being petty here, and this is an honest question: what does Landry do well?

He's got a big arm. Big arm's don't always translate into a good deep ball. Look at Rhett Bomar vs Jason White, for example.

We will know a LOT more about Landry at the end of November. I like his upside.

FaninAma
10/21/2009, 05:03 PM
He has a strong arm but just needs to work on field vision and accuracy. Sam had the same problems when he first started.

Bingo, although I think Sam's accuracy and field vision were much better than Landry's at the same stage in their career.

Everyone we play from this point on is going to man up on our receivers and bring a heavy dose of blitzing.

Wilson needs to adopt a better, quicker short passing game. It appears that this part of the Sooner O consistes primarily of swing passes to the RBs at this point.

Until the OL improves we need to take a page out of Leach's playbook with short timing patterns across the middle to neutralize the LB's creeping up near the line of scrimmage.

Wilson has no clue how to make an overly aggressive defense pay . None. Zero.

rawlingsHOH
10/21/2009, 05:06 PM
Really? Then please explain Murray's 65-yard run on the opening series.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2009, 05:06 PM
all texas did saturday was take away the short passes and force him to try something a little further..thats where a lot of the passes where short armed..

Maybe some slant routes though...

madillsoonerfan5353
10/21/2009, 05:15 PM
Accuracy? Sam set the school record for consecutive completions in his second career start!

Sam had time to throw he step in behind an all-american line. Jones is good but there will be some growing pains. :gary: I think that quicker passes will help.

tulsaoilerfan
10/21/2009, 05:17 PM
biggest thing i see is i'm not sure Landry has learned yet how to go to his second read

cvsooner
10/21/2009, 05:17 PM
Receivers who could catch a bit better would be a big help.

rawlingsHOH
10/21/2009, 05:21 PM
Accuracy? Sam set the school record for consecutive completions in his second career start!
Sam was very accurate, but had all day to throw the ball most of his freshman year.

Sam's flaws as a rookie were probably similar to Landry's, in that he locked on to his primary too long.

badger
10/21/2009, 06:01 PM
Landry had some nice scrambles for first downs, right?

The stache will get more accurate when he gets more time with the receivers and blockers.

FaninAma
10/21/2009, 06:02 PM
Really? Then please explain Murray's 65-yard run on the opening series.

And then after that?

GottaHavePride
10/21/2009, 06:36 PM
YEah, Sam had a lot of things Landry doesn't.

An O-line.

Receivers that catch anything thrown within 10 yards of them.

A run game that opposing teams had to account for.

Anyway, Landry is at his best when he has time to throw. He's actually least accurate when he's scrambling. His deep passes are nearly as good as Sam's... most of the time. The difference is that about 98% of Sam's throws were dead on target. Landry's only at about 90%.

The other problems are just freshman problems. I'm sure he'd be better at progressing through his reads if he wasn't having to worry about getting blindsided by a DE with a full head of steam.

beer4me
10/21/2009, 06:45 PM
all texas did saturday was take away the short passes and force him to try something a little further..thats where a lot of the passes where short armed..

Maybe some slant routes though...

That is what I have been waiting to see that is one way to help offset the OL that can't block. And they are normally high percentage plays. And if working they can help get Landry into the flow and build confidence.

sooner ngintunr
10/21/2009, 06:51 PM
SB had the luxury of taking all of the preseason snaps his frosh year. That point was brought up to me and I thought it was a good one.

Landry throws real good when he rolls to his left. His arm strength is very good.

It's just too bad he's named after a Texan.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2009, 06:54 PM
Sam was deadly accurate from the get go. He was also *consistently* accurate. Landry has thrown a few ball that were dead-on such as those TDs to Broyles in the Baylor game, but is not consistent. He has a stronger arm than Sam did 2 years ago and I'd love to see us throw a couple of deep balls per game to take advantage of it.

VA Sooner
10/21/2009, 07:58 PM
He's got promise... looks good in the pocket and can scramble. What he needs:

1) Time and experience
2) Receivers to catch the ball consistently
3) Judo lessons to flip opposing DEs onto their backs when they come flying in completely unblocked

aero
10/21/2009, 08:00 PM
Landry's not bad. He's not Sam but who is? Give him time and he'll be fine. Seems like I haven't seen as many of the quick outs we used to throw. Seemed we started alot of games and offensive series with them and its a good way to get the the O going. Is the personnel dictating so much of what the offense is doing/not doing? The line is obvious. The offense just seems lackluster and not well coached. 2 plays that stood out to me was late in the 2nd quarter. 1st and 10 at the 20, Landry handed off to Brown for no gain with Landry and Kenney doing a half speed going-thru-the-motion fake handoff on the end around. We follow that play up with the very same play, with same lackluster, except Landry doesn't give it to the back but pulls it back to give to Kenney who gets mauled by Texas with the ball ending up at our 1 yard line. Hey, at least Kenney got the recovery. But for me, a very disappointing display of offense. Maybe the offense has been just to discombobulated this year but at least you like to see emotion and effort.

SunnySooner
10/21/2009, 08:30 PM
Someone sent me this on Landry--boy can play, as others have mentioned, needs a line and someone who can CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!! And, I'd like to see him running more on broken plays, ala the Tebowness, cause he's got the size and wheels to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeWat53qJU

goingoneight
10/22/2009, 11:48 AM
Bingo, although I think Sam's accuracy and field vision were much better than Landry's at the same stage in their career.

Everyone we play from this point on is going to man up on our receivers and bring a heavy dose of blitzing.

Wilson needs to adopt a better, quicker short passing game. It appears that this part of the Sooner O consistes primarily of swing passes to the RBs at this point.

Until the OL improves we need to take a page out of Leach's playbook with short timing patterns across the middle to neutralize the LB's creeping up near the line of scrimmage.

Somebody didn't watch us play TCU last year.

SoonerLaw09
10/22/2009, 12:15 PM

There's a fark in there somewhere, I just know it...

King Crimson
10/22/2009, 12:19 PM
Jones a couple good throws against UT that don't get caught. one hits our guy about 3 inches above his facemask.

i like us better with landry when we call plays instead of going turtle conservative (with no chance to convert a steady diet of 3rd and forevers).

LJ's last INT excepted. that was a bad throw.

Johnny Utah
10/22/2009, 12:29 PM

I thought the very same thing when I read this last night but left it the hell alone. Y'all take your pick of what this could really mean.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zip

Gresho Murford
10/22/2009, 01:28 PM

im surprised it took this long

FaninAma
10/22/2009, 07:27 PM
Somebody didn't watch us play TCU last year.

OU jumped on TCU early then TCU adjusted and shut
OU down for the last 2/3rds of the game. I really
wouldn't point to that game as a resounding success
for Wilson.

I actually felt like the Texas game last year was one
of Wilson's better schemed games until the horn
defense turned the pressure up a notch and Wilson
couldn't adjust.

goingoneight
10/22/2009, 07:42 PM
for Wilson.

I actually felt like the Texas game last year was one
of Wilson's better schemed games until the horn
defense turned the pressure up a notch and Wilson
couldn't adjust.

TCU stacked eight men in the box from snap one of the game.
They never backed off.

Maybe a highlight video will help you see. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEepTKun6vQ)

Also, Texas had the same gameplan. We ended up with 35 on them, too. Had we Ryan Reynolds... :(

My Opinion Matters
10/22/2009, 07:52 PM
Saying Landry isn't as good as the best qb in school history isn't really fair criticism.

goingoneight
10/22/2009, 08:39 PM
Landry is a great prospect. He does a lot of what Sam did as a freshman. Just when you're playing behind...

Loadholt, Robinson, Cooper, Walker, Williams, Finley

... handing off to...

AP, DM, CB, MM

... and throwing the ball to...

MK, JI, MJ, QC, and that Gresham cat...

well... you tend to look better.

What makes a QB look great is having the patience to not put the game on your own shoulders and just execute the plays called down. Landry's surrounding cast ain't cutting the mustard, but he's doing great IMO. Obviously things to work on as expected for a young guy, but even Peyton Manning has things to work on and he's the best there is out there right now IMO.

sooners2win
10/22/2009, 09:08 PM
I would like to see more of this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Ace_redskin_green.PNG

To me it seems two tights is the way to help a horrible offensive line, they might be decent at pass blocking, but run blocking..........OH HORRIBLE

Scott D
10/22/2009, 09:23 PM
Someone sent me this on Landry--boy can play, as others have mentioned, needs a line and someone who can CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!! And, I'd like to see him running more on broken plays, ala the Tebowness, cause he's got the size and wheels to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeWat53qJU

Do you really want John Nimmo starting that badly?

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 09:24 PM
Not to be critical because everyone is entitled to their opinion (unless they are a dick bag whorn) but how could anyone say Landry is strong throwing the ball on the run? I have seen him throw some t u r d floaters on the run. Not that he can't improve because I believe he can but at this point, he looks to be a pocket passer.

TXBOOMER
10/22/2009, 09:27 PM

To me it seems two tights is the way to help a horrible offensive line, they might be decent at pass blocking, but run blocking..........OH HORRIBLE

With Eldridge playing guard getting many snaps in double tight will be a challenge.

sooners2win
10/22/2009, 09:36 PM
Ratterree, Mensik....and I wish Brody was back at TE or FB, Matt Clapp may be a great WWE Wrestler some day, but he has whiffed some blocks

rawlingsHOH
10/22/2009, 10:18 PM
Ratterree, Mensik....and I wish Brody was back at TE or FB, Matt Clapp may be a great WWE Wrestler some day, but he has whiffed some blocks

Clapp outblocks those two.

rawlingsHOH
10/22/2009, 10:22 PM
for Wilson.

TCU completely sold out to stop the run, and blitzed the passer relentlessly. They knew that was the only chance they had, hope for incompletions, or knock out the QB, etc.

OU lit them up early, and often, with the quick passing and screen game. Built a huge lead. After they got the lead, they sat on the ball and were satisfied running the rest of the game, into stacked fronts.

Scott D
10/22/2009, 10:48 PM

not every fullback can block with one arm.

OUmillenium
10/23/2009, 08:54 AM
I wish Landry would put more air under the ball on his deep balls. He throws everything on a line but that allows the db to have a better angle. Remember how Sam lead Manny in the Tech game. We need that type of touch on long balls when our receiver has the db beat.

cjames317
10/23/2009, 12:21 PM

Yeah, if we had Gresh and Eldridge in those TE slots. This highlights the harm to OUr entire offense because of the injuries to Gresh, then Simmons.

stoopified
10/23/2009, 04:46 PM
wish we had one

DO NOT blame the lack of a running game on THE PISTOL.THE PISTOL allows you to run I-formation plays with a tailback from a modified shotgun(THE PISTOL).Many people have claimed that our O was predictible because we ALWAYS run when lined up in the I.Proper blocking and execution will make THE PISTOL effective because you can run spread formation AND I-formation plays in this set.

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see them incorporate some running plays using Landry. Keep it and run. IDK, maybe that will give opposing D's something to think about and possibly open up the running and passing game more.

JLEW1818
10/23/2009, 05:38 PM
DO NOT blame the lack of a running game on THE PISTOL.THE PISTOL allows you to run I-formation plays with a tailback from a modified shotgun(THE PISTOL).Many people have claimed that our O was predictible because we ALWAYS run when lined up in the I.Proper blocking and execution will make THE PISTOL effective because you can run spread formation AND I-formation plays in this set.

Why not line up with a ****ing fullback more??? I'd rather run the I-formation than the pistol.... so then we could actually run a ****ing play action!!!!!!! Pistol should still be shot

and so should our shotgun handoffs

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2009, 05:40 PM
Proper blocking

Theres the problem. Its hard to change things midseason though. IMSO the staff thought the line would be further along than the level that they are playing right now. Lets hope the line continues(?) to improve. Then maybe some of the plays we've been calling will actually work?

I still think the option a couple times a game with Landry would be good.

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2009, 05:42 PM
so then we could actually run a ****ing play action!!!!!!!

What is this play-action you speak of?;)

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 05:45 PM
For now, abandon the shotgun handoff, we don't hav a Q type back for that. I think they have to use Landry more in the running game. Some QB keepers. Have to add another dimension somewhere.

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2009, 05:48 PM
For now, abandon the shotgun handoff, we don't hav a Q type back for that. I think they have to use Landry more in the running game. Some QB keepers. Have to add another dimension somewhere.

IMSO, you can't just teach an entire new running scheme in the middle of the season. Esp with as many 2nd stringers in there as we have.

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 05:53 PM
IMSO, you can't just teach an entire new running scheme in the middle of the season. Esp with as many 2nd stringers in there as we have.

I doubt it would be a whole new scheme. I'm pretty sure they have these plays already in the book. Wilson ran a mostly run scheme at Northwestern using QB. I'm not saying change the O completely, but just add some QB run.

JLEW1818
10/23/2009, 05:55 PM
we need Jermaine

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 05:58 PM
I did see JG at Mr Shortstop with no crutches, he is ready!!

rawlingsHOH
10/23/2009, 07:37 PM
I doubt it would be a whole new scheme. I'm pretty sure they have these plays already in the book. Wilson ran a mostly run scheme at Northwestern using QB. I'm not saying change the O completely, but just add some QB run.

Now, probably less than ever, are you likely to see the QB run game.

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2009, 07:54 PM
Mangino wouldn't be skeered.:D

His QB option worked for us.

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 07:59 PM
Now, probably less than ever, are you likely to see the QB run game.

Now, more than ever, we need something different from the norm.

Scott D
10/23/2009, 11:40 PM
I still don't get why some of you are hell bent on Landry Jones getting injured. Are you relatives of John Nimmo?

gaylordfan1
10/23/2009, 11:46 PM
Wilson isn't tailoring the O to the QB's strength.... They are tailoring the O for the lack of the O-LINES lack of strength!

sooners2win
10/24/2009, 12:52 AM
Why not line up with a ****ing fullback more??? I'd rather run the I-formation than the pistol.... so then we could actually run a ****ing play action!!!!!!! Pistol should still be shot

and so should our shotgun handoffs

The only guy I really wanna see lined up at FB is 83, Clapp just isn't the blocker he should be.

Curly Bill
10/24/2009, 12:56 AM
We're tailoring our O to compete in the Big 10. I expect we'll be petioning for admittance to their fine conference upon the completion of this season.

IronHorseSooner
10/24/2009, 08:05 AM
Wilson isn't tailoring the O to the QB's strength.... They are tailoring the O for the lack of the O-LINES lack of strength!

^^^This! With a green or injured OL, IMHO, you need the quick developing plays to keep the OL from thinking too much. These smokes draws, slow-developing reverses, and deep crosses can cause more problems for the OL.

Sooner04
9/5/2010, 06:01 PM
Any other thoughts now that he's been the starter for a solid year?

Bourbon St Sooner
9/5/2010, 06:48 PM
Mighty fine hand-off skills

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:11 PM

He unquestionably has a good arm. But after that performance last night, I don't know what to think. He looked worse than he did against BYU. :(

I was really looking forward to him this season.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:13 PM

The line wasn't horrible last night.

OU doesn't have ONE good TE and you want to play 2?

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna answer 04 original question....

He wins Bowl Games.

Sooner04
9/5/2010, 07:50 PM
He wins Bowl Games.
There's only one............NATE HYBL!

I thought Landry looked as uncomfortable in the pocket last night as he did in Jerry World against BYU. Captian Obvious here, but that ain't no good.

icmwhOU72
9/5/2010, 08:32 PM
Ok i have a quetion, why are yall bashing the o line? Landry got sacked three times and i believe all of them were because LJ held the ball too long and ran backward instead of stepping up in the pocket. and demarco had a carrer high rushing day so the oline looked better than last years. We had very few oline penalties i think one hold and maybe two false starts. anyway i think that we need to go into the I and run the ball down peoples throat and run play action. Greg Mcfly for bama could do it and stills and broyles are better than his two recievers last year. I also think that ronnell lewis should play linbacker and only play de in certain situations. I bet he only played 50% of the defensive snaps. I think that the coaches will show what they are all about this week. If we come out and try to run the same O that sam was so good at then we will lose. We need to go to the power run game.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 08:35 PM

I thought Landry looked as uncomfortable in the pocket last night as he did in Jerry World against BYU. Captian Obvious here, but that ain't no good.

I won't disagree. Just having some fun today as last night...although fun....it was tough to watch at times. I'm wondering if Josh was trying to get Landry to add things and when it got to game time...he just overloaded. Like Bob said in the presser....Landry just never looked comfortable out there at all.

Hopefully it was just 2010 first game butterflies.

Sooner04
9/5/2010, 09:11 PM
Ok i have a quetion, why are yall bashing the o line?
This topic was started by yours truly last year as a stream of consciousness to see what strenghts, if any, Landry had so we could tailor the offense to him a bit. Well, the consensus was that the line sucked, so any strenghts would be masked by their ineptness.

But that was last year, and last year is gone.

stoopified
9/5/2010, 11:43 PM
Accuracy? Sam set the school record for consecutive completions in his second career start!YUP

OUmillenium
9/5/2010, 11:48 PM

He gets the ball to the first option consistently...even if double teamed.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2010, 11:48 PM
He gets the ball to the first option consistently...even if double teamed.

allsome!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:29 AM

trued dat playa