PDA

View Full Version : No Kicking Allowed

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2009, 10:38 AM
Playstation 3 Coaching Method (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4577094&categoryid=2378529)

Seems to work for him..

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/20/2009, 10:45 AM
Meh, when the first two words of the video are 'Skip' and 'Bayless', kinda makes me not wanna watch the rest of it.

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/20/2009, 10:54 AM
But the results they're getting at that high school are pretty amazing. I think when you pull a fake punt out every so often, your 4th down conversion chances are even higher than the guy who goes for it every time. How come Stoops never does that anymore?

Boomer.....
10/20/2009, 11:16 AM
I like his theory on on-side kicks. Going for it on 4th and 30 from your own 5......not so much.

SPuL
10/20/2009, 01:39 PM
I still laugh at those who actually believed Jimmy Stevens was worthy enough to be on the Groza Award watch list.

SoonerAtKU
10/20/2009, 02:10 PM
I think the biggest thing is to change the mindset of your team. Normally, kicking it onside and failing to recover is a big downer to a team. But that's because it's only done near the end of a game when the whole thing is on the line. If you're doing it 75% of the time or whatever, then missing a few isn't going to be deflating to your team, but recovering one is going to be devastating to the other team's morale.

Same goes for the 4th down thing. You get it into the kids' heads that it's not a big deal to not make it and they start playing looser and giving themselves a chance to break a big one in what would normally be a high-pressure situation.

I like it in concept, but not for higher levels of the sport when defenses are better and you can punt and reasonably expect that your defense will hold a team out of the red zone.

Pigface1
10/20/2009, 03:22 PM
It's tough to argue w/ his results. 2 titles in 7 years.

yermom
10/20/2009, 05:00 PM
Leach's replacement when he retires?

badger
10/20/2009, 05:52 PM
I would agree that this is a very PS3esque way of coaching. Whenever I tried playing NCAA Football vidya (and I don't anymore, I leave that to the boys), I hated to punt. Defense is boring to play. I'd rather air it out.

I would do hail marys on 4th down if I had a long way to go. I'd fail often.... probably part of the reason I no longer play that game :D