PDA

View Full Version : OU leads the nation in penalty yards/game per NewsOK

IronSooner
10/19/2009, 10:25 PM
Not surprising. To me, that's coaching as well as players. Defense + no offense + no coaching/preparation = 2009
http://www.newsok.com/article/3410247

goingoneight
10/19/2009, 10:37 PM
No coaching?

Really? :rolleyes:

I guess we're gonna have to tell that Kevin Wilson and his golf buddy Sam Bradshaw to get to work.

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 10:39 PM
I think we'd be better if KW played even more golf. :D

tulsaoilerfan
10/19/2009, 10:46 PM
Hey man don't be criticizing the coaching :)

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 10:50 PM

Naw, it's OK cause I am a coach. ;)

Now the rest of ya though, got no right! :P

SOONER44EVER
10/19/2009, 10:51 PM

Agreed. I was way disappointed we didn't run the 3rd and 12 draw play against texas too. Maybe next week.

tulsaoilerfan
10/19/2009, 10:57 PM
Agreed. I was way disappointed we didn't run the 3rd and 12 draw play against texas too. Maybe next week.

I was thrilled to see us break out the first and 10 draw play so much(since it obviously had the Whorns fooled) :D

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 10:59 PM
We are probably the most prepared team in the nation for 2nd and 10,11,12...

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 11:00 PM
We are probably the most prepared team in the nation for 2nd and 10,11,12...

Well yeah, our whole gameplan is based on getting us into those situations. ;)

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:02 PM
Well yeah, our whole gameplan is based on getting us into those situations. ;)

Yes, and it is masterful...

VA Sooner
10/19/2009, 11:07 PM
It does come down to coaching and discipline.

Ugly game last Saturday.

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 11:08 PM
Yes, and it is masterful...

Ya think KW wracks his brain every week planning the best plays to run to set up 2nd and long? :D

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:13 PM
We are at are most dangerous and almost unstoppable at 2nd and 10,11,12...

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 11:19 PM
2nd and long what will we do?

Run the stretch play right into the back of one of our OL?

Throw into the flats for a 0 yard gain?

Yup, I think that's about all our options. :P

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:21 PM
How about down and out with the throw in the third row...

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 11:23 PM

Yeah but that would actually require the receiver to run down the field before we throw it. We save risky stuff like that for when it's 3rd and 13.

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:26 PM
Actually they do pretty good, what did they have 350 yards passing against Texas ???

Curly Bill
10/19/2009, 11:28 PM
Actually they do pretty good, what did they have 350 yards passing against Texas ???

IDK...

I know we had less point than them though. :(

Eielson
10/19/2009, 11:31 PM
Kevin Wilson-Bradford set the record for points last season with his GENIUS coaching!!!!!!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/19/2009, 11:35 PM
OMG!!!! I am pretty sure this is not only by NewsOK... but by the NCAA as well!!!

HOLY SHNIKIES!

WHAT THE HECK ARE WE-A-GONNA-DO!?!?!?

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2009, 03:56 AM
Try to win out and then get ready for next year. We're Sooners damn it.

aurorasooner
10/20/2009, 01:06 PM
Flags plentiful in Big 12

October 19, 2009 - 6:32pm

Every Saturday is Flag Day in the Big 12.

At least that penal trend was established through the first half of the football season.

Eight conference teams rank 98th or worse in penalties, and the same eight rank 102nd or worse in yards penalized.

Oklahoma, which Saturday visits Kansas, is called back as often as American Motors parts. The Sooners average more penalty yards (84.5) than any team in the country.

The Sooners drew 10 penalties for 125 yards in their 16-13 loss last week against Texas. The difference, however, was minimal since the Longhorns, another frequent violator this season, drew 11 infractions for 103 yards.

Other conference teams faring poorly with infractions are Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Baylor. The Cowboys are ranked last in average infractions with a 9.8 average. The cleanest Big 12 teams are Iowa State, which ranks 19th nationally in average penalties (5.1); and Kansas, which ranks 30th in average penalty yards (48.0).

"A lot of them are judgment calls," said OU coach Bob Stoops, "so in the end, maybe our officials call it tighter than some other leagues. It's sure possible."

Points of emphasis mandated by the NCAA this season included unnecessary roughness, chop blocks, helmet-to-helmet contact and blows to defenseless players.

During preseason practice, all teams bring in conference officials to work scrimmages. But interpretations from such settings can be misleading.

"A lot of times, the guys, the way they call it in a scrimmage is nothing like they do in the games," Stoops said. "So maybe (players) are getting a bad idea of what will get called and what won't."

Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy didn't want to get into specifics because of the conference rule prohibiting coaches from critical comments regarding officiating, though he can't help but notice the infractions mounting against the Cowboys.

"It does seem like there's more penalties called this year than there ever has," Gundy said. "I'm not sure if it's the plan of the officials to tighten the games up, or we're actually seeing more calls this year."http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2009-10-19/flags_plentiful_in_big_12

MamaMia
10/20/2009, 01:43 PM
This is not the first time we have led the nation and/or the conference in penalties and it wont be the last.

TUSooner
10/20/2009, 04:28 PM
At least we're not leading the nation in length of prison terms.

Sasakwa
10/20/2009, 06:46 PM
Any time I hear of a team, NFL or otherwise as being the leader in penalties, the first thing I think of is coaching. I'm not a fire the coach guy at all, but sheesh - this has to be on them. If you know the Big XII is calling things closer go over it with the players.

zman515
10/21/2009, 08:11 AM

We save that for the red zone.

RedstickSooner
10/21/2009, 08:46 AM
We're number one!
We're number one!
We're number one!

Hey, gotta find *something* to cheer about, right? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2009, 09:12 AM
There should be individual awards for this........

Johnny Utah
10/21/2009, 11:57 AM
The following was in the most recent Coaches Hotseat Blog, a good site that I think Badger turned us on to last season.

We respect Bob Stoops but…. – Is it just us or does Oklahoma look like the worst disciplined football team this side of USC (more on that in a minute). Stupid decisions by both players and coaches, fumbles, penalties galore, and a general lack of football sense by the number of Sooners’ players makes us wonder just what in the Hell is going on in Norman. Even with all the injuries, Bob Stoops has a ton of talent at OU and if they had played like a smart football team, the way OU used to play, they would have beaten Texas by 10 or more points.

and here's the link:
http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/?p=1373

Jayhawk Penguin
10/21/2009, 12:25 PM
What's wrong, dirt burglars? You aren't paying the refs enough?

Or is Big Game Bob now Big Lame Bob? lol!

SOONER44EVER
10/22/2009, 07:30 PM
What's wrong, dirt burglars? You aren't paying the refs enough?

Or is Big Game Bob now Big Lame Bob? lol!

He is now known as Big First Half Bob. :D

goingoneight
10/22/2009, 08:27 PM
Tomorrow... "Comeback BOB!"

MarylandSooner
10/23/2009, 12:08 PM
One good thing about the lack discipline and receiving a bunch of penalties on our side of the field is that Jimmy Stevens is getting alot practice kicking field goals. Hopefully by next year we can feel a little bit more confident when he comes running onto the field.

Okie35
10/23/2009, 12:12 PM
He is now known as Big First Half Bob. :D

Funny

C&CDean
10/23/2009, 01:28 PM
Man we've got a lot of stupid fans.

The same guy, who has been practicing all spring/summer/fall, and has played 6 games already keeps jumping before the snap or holding. Since we've got so many coaching experts on here, tell me, what would you do? Shoot him in the face with a .45? Cut his nuts off and stuff them in his mouth? Put on uniform and sneak into the game to show him how it's done?

Oh, I know what you're going to say. "if the guy is that bad a good coach would replace him." With who?

Sorry boys and girls, a coach can only do so much. If a player keeps being a bonehead after hours/days/weeks/months of practice and drills, the only thing a coach can do is sit him down. I guess some of you think the coaches are goosing those guys into false starts.

Our players need to take some accountability for their ineptness here. Sure, the coaches could call some different/better plays every once in a while (hindsight sure is 20/20 ain't it guys?), but eventually, the guy flying the airplane out there in the middle of nowhere is going to have to step up and fly right. It ain't the wing commander's fault that the guy screws the pooch after he's been properly trained. It's the palayahs.

Okie35
10/23/2009, 01:35 PM

The same guy, who has been practicing all spring/summer/fall, and has played 6 games already keeps jumping before the snap or holding. Since we've got so many coaching experts on here, tell me, what would you do? Shoot him in the face with a .45? Cut his nuts off and stuff them in his mouth? Put on uniform and sneak into the game to show him how it's done?

Oh, I know what you're going to say. "if the guy is that bad a good coach would replace him." With who?

Sorry boys and girls, a coach can only do so much.If a player keeps being a bonehead after hours/days/weeks/months of practice and drills, the only thing a coach can do is sit him down. I guess some of you think the coaches are goosing those guys into false starts.

Our players need to take some accountability for their ineptness here. Sure, the coaches could call some different/better plays every once in a while (hindsight sure is 20/20 ain't it guys?), but eventually, the guy flying the airplane out there in the middle of nowhere is going to have to step up and fly right. It ain't the wing commander's fault that the guy screws the pooch after he's been properly trained. It's the palayahs.

Finally, someone agrees! I don't think its just w/ the false starts I think its everything. People say Bob doesn't have that "fire" anymore makes no sense he can only do so much. He can't get out there and play for them he can only put them in the best position to win. If that doesn't happen and the player miscues its on THEM. The thing is you can LOOK almost perfect in practice but in a game be totally different. Coaches can be like well he's coming along well this week but come game time they could be missing assignments. I mean I do feel some issues lay on the coaches but players are responsible for most of it in some cases.

goingoneight
10/23/2009, 03:33 PM
There's just too much inexperience to have high expectations for this team. Had we still Sam and JG, maybe those coverages are easier to beat for OUr WR corps. Maybe that extra blitzing LB has Gresham Duty and the line finds it a little easier to protect Sam. Who knows? What I see right now is nearly the same thing we had going into KU back in 2005. Freshman QB, inexperienced and young receivers, injured star running back and a noobtacular O-Line. Difference is I feel the D is better and the attitude is better amongst all the young guys.

Osagecrimson
10/23/2009, 08:23 PM
This year's offensive line should be known as "the behind the chains gang".

VA Sooner
10/23/2009, 08:25 PM
D will save us. Just wait.

SOONER44EVER
10/23/2009, 09:45 PM
I'm just wondering a few things.

1. Why, when John Blake was coach, and a player continually made stupid mistakes was it the coach fault but when Bob Stoops is coach and the same things happen its the player's fault?

2. Why, when Dickenson was the OC, and what seemed to be a dumb play call occurred was it his fault but when the same thing happens with KW at the helm it is the player's fault?

3. Why, when Blake changed a player's position several times during the year was it bad coaching but when Stoops does the same thing its called putting the player in the best position to help the team?

Just wondering.

unbiasedtruth
10/24/2009, 04:28 AM

Sorry boys and girls, a coach can only do so much. If a player keeps being a bonehead after hours/days/weeks/months of practice and drills, the only thing a coach can do is sit him down. I guess some of you think the coaches are goosing those guys into false starts.

I agree Dean, but instead of sitting them down 1st, I'd point the north endzone and the steps there and say.... 5 yard penalty... false start, illegal formation and such 5 times up and down.... 10 yard penalty...... holding and such..... 10 times up and down.... 15 yard penalty..... personal foul, PI, illegal chop block and such 15 times up and down......

All this done before they practice..... if they dont practice because their fat asses are whooped by the steps... they dont play....

tnraider1
10/24/2009, 01:02 PM
I'm just wondering a few things.

1. Why, when John Blake was coach, and a player continually made stupid mistakes was it the coach fault but when Bob Stoops is coach and the same things happen its the player's fault?

2. Why, when Dickenson was the OC, and what seemed to be a dumb play call occurred was it his fault but when the same thing happens with KW at the helm it is the player's fault?

3. Why, when Blake changed a player's position several times during the year was it bad coaching but when Stoops does the same thing its called putting the player in the best position to help the team?

Just wondering.

My guess would be wins vs. losses, plus a ring and multiple Big 12 titles. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

Mississippi Sooner
10/24/2009, 01:44 PM
I agree Dean, but instead of sitting them down 1st, I'd point the north endzone and the steps there and say.... 5 yard penalty... false start, illegal formation and such 5 times up and down.... 10 yard penalty...... holding and such..... 10 times up and down.... 15 yard penalty..... personal foul, PI, illegal chop block and such 15 times up and down......

All this done before they practice..... if they dont practice because their fat asses are whooped by the steps... they dont play....

We need a new version of Port Robertson. Run 'em til they puke. :pop: