PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones

Blitzkrieg
10/19/2009, 11:56 AM
Look at the venues this kid has been thrown into. At Jerry World with no practice snaps against 31 year old men with multiple wives and 12 children each, who clearly sold their soul to their evil god Steve Young for the win. A gimme versus ISU where he set an all time Sooner record, Miami without his only game breaker, and Texas against a top 5 defense. This kid is now going to play KU, KSU, NU, OSU, Tech, aTm. He has to be thinking that he has several saturdays on the beach with a pina colada and a "be somebody" little umbrella compared to where he has been.

Like Jay-Z says, "show me what ya got" Landry.

JLEW1818
10/19/2009, 11:59 AM
10-3!

cotton bowl win over LSU!

badger
10/19/2009, 12:04 PM
I hope our other quarterbacks understand that the competition to succeed Sammie has already begun... with Landry starting on third base... Except unlike those guys Switzer was referring to, Landry wasn't born there. He hit a ****ing triple.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2009, 12:36 PM
Landry has shown incredible poise given the situation. Any or all of our losses could have gone in the W column with just one more play our of the offense. It's not a stretch to think we could be 5-1 or even undefeated if Landry had been working with the first team since fall camp.

OklahomaRed
10/19/2009, 12:44 PM
Agreed. Some more time will help with some quicker reads and spotting the open receiver down field when they bring the heat.

cjames317
10/19/2009, 12:47 PM
And somebody please teach him to not fall on his throwing shoulder? Cuz he's gonna get some hits.

badger
10/19/2009, 12:54 PM
And somebody please teach him to not fall on his throwing shoulder? Cuz he's gonna get some hits.

:mad: Too soon. :mad:

VA Sooner
10/19/2009, 04:03 PM
Needs time and experience to go through his progressions. Just watching him in these past few games shows me he has poise in the pocket. The two interceptions were just freshman mistakes... nothing serious.

You know he's thinking hard about those two interceptions too.

Bigger issue is getting the o-line back in order.

Desert Sapper
10/19/2009, 04:39 PM
Agreed. Jones is a top-shelf talent. Right now, the O-Line looks pretty weak. They have struggled against some decent defenses (granted, Texas is probably a top 5 D), and haven't looked good yet. It would be good to get some big production this coming Saturday in Lawrence.

We'll need to play well to finish this season above 500. Trips to Lawrence (very winnable, but could be tough depending on how the Jayhawks play -- remember, they were within 2 TDs of us in our house last year), Lincoln (God help us if they are playing to their full potential - unlike this past weekend), and Lubbock (need I remind anyone how long it's been since we've won there). Hell, K-State put the smack down on aTm this past weekend and the pokes did about the same number to Mizzou. This season is far from over.

I'm just glad we have Landry. He is by far the most capable backup we've had in a while, and will make a great starter by the end of the season, I'd wager.

swardboy
10/19/2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, unlike Sam, who took over the reigns at the start of a season, Landry has the rest of this fall to get "seasoned." I for one am happy to give him a pass for how the rest of the season goes in order to perfect himself and have a fantastic start on 2010. I'm not giving up on this year, I just hope Landry isn't pressed with unrealistic expectations by the fans.....

SunnySooner
10/19/2009, 04:47 PM
Landry rocks, needs some confidence, especially when it comes to running on broken pass plays (he can do it, he's got some wheels, but I think he thinks he doesn't have "permission"--if it's a pass play, I need to pass, etc.). A few times on Sat. he could have had the first down just running straight ahead, the field in front of him was wide open. Experience, reps with the ones, he will be another great, wouldn't surprise me to see him with plenty of trophys for his own shelf in a year or two. He has size, poise, smarts, and let's not forget the awesome stache. Give him an experienced line that gives him a little more time, he's a winner.

Gresho Murford
10/19/2009, 04:49 PM
My only complaint is that he doesn't always make his progressions and locks onto a receiver. Also, he seems to scramble outside the pocket instead of step up into it. There were numerous times where he had time if he would step up instead of moving outside.

redhawk49
10/19/2009, 05:02 PM
My only complaint is that he doesn't always make his progressions and locks onto a receiver. Also, he seems to scramble outside the pocket instead of step up into it. There were numerous times where he had time if he would step up instead of moving outside.

See post #8 ;)

Oldnslo
10/19/2009, 05:51 PM
Landry is going to be a MONSTER when he gets some salt on. He'll learn to look off defenders in time. I have nothing but confidence in this kid.

goingoneight
10/19/2009, 06:33 PM
Sam used to LOCK down on MK and Iglesias every damn play. Difference was he had time to throw a pass to them that only they could catch, AND... they actually caught the ball.

LJ's footwork, arm strength and poise have been great when compared to guys like Rhett Bomar. NTM, his head is in the game and not on the crowd, on the sidelines, on the cheerleaders, on National TV, etc. like most freshmen.

TXBOOMER
10/19/2009, 06:47 PM
Landry will be unfairly compared to Sam for years to come. He isn't as naturally talented as Sam and he isn't blessed with the supporting cast Sam had. I hope they can get something figured out for the O line and TE situations by next season. Losing Williams, Simmons and Eldridge nearly guarantees we will need JUCO help if there is any out there to give him a chance next year.

Boooom!
10/19/2009, 08:36 PM
First I would like to apologize for a hastily and angry post I made regarding Jones last Sat. night. It was unfair to be so harsh on him and in hindsight I realize I was just being an ***.

I apologize to him, to the team, to the fans and to this board.

I am still a bit critical of him, but I realize that it is only proper to be constructive in my critic. He is a very good QB...one that would most definitely start for %80+ of the 117 teams out there. I do look forward to watching him grow and develop into yet another star QB for OU! ..and I believe he will.

But this isnt going to happen until he gets his head together. Happy-feet an outstanding QB does not make.

However, it's rather simple. With Sam we advance to the redzone. With Jones we pick up a few first downs (against halfway descent teams). This isnt about O-line, or about the O-plays, or about the receivers. Those guys are doing a pretty dang good job, and Sam is proof of that.

With Hybl it was indecision. As good as Hybl was for us, his mild case of panic led to the inability to detect-and-execute. This often led to incompletions, or rather "Outstanding defensive execution!!" for the other team :\

Bomar didnt trust his team..and tried to be a one-man-team. Unfortunately for him, Long or Stoops didnt have a one-man-team play in their playbook.

Sam on the other hand is indeed a true leader in every sense of the word. A true leader QB executes [i]through his team, not above his team..and definably never despite his team.

Landry... runs away from pressure that isnt really there (yet). This may be because his senses are hasty do to lack of snaps. He runs to the sideline to throw the ball away when he has 15+ open yards in front of him, leaving his dump-off wondering if he should wait to catch the ball, or run-block.

Anyway - these are things that CAN, and I honestly feel, WILL be fixed in time. I really do think that Stache will one day be know among the great QBs at OU.

And I hope that this post will not make too many too angry. It is my honest opinion and assessment. I hope it isnt too critical. I know that many will take exception with it, and if I am not being patient enough with his "youth", please realize that he is a man after all.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2009, 09:57 PM
Most freshman QBs thown into a game due to injury line up behind the guard for the snap, forget the count, turn the wrong way for a handoff, fumble the shotgun snap. I could go on - forget the play, spike the ball on 4th down,etc. Sam Bradford is special and holding Jones to that standard is absurd. But even if you do, you have to consider that Sam won the job in camp and practiced 100% with the first unit behind *a great O-line*. Jones has ice water in his veins and will mature rapidly as the starter, but it takes time.

Jdog
10/19/2009, 10:50 PM
Landry has shown incredible poise given the situation. Any or all of our losses could have gone in the W column with just one more play our of the offense. It's not a stretch to think we could be 5-1 or even undefeated if Landry had been working with the first team since fall camp.

Except for Tulsa, he hasn't been unable to score touchdowns - too many Field goals. The Defense has keep us in games - until q3 or q4 when they get worn out from the Offense 3 and outs.

Someone needs to show the kid how to throw a long ball. The kind that floats above the defenders, over the receivers shoulder. The kind that Bradford, and White threw.

Jones' long low lasers give more defenders a better opportunity to intercept - example - his 2 interceptions against Texas.

He's an ok QB - but he's still just a back up with a lot to learn.
People are maybe trying to hold him to the standard because he's the second highest rated recruit that we've had during Stoop Tenure.

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 10:56 PM
Under the circumstances Landry has played very well and ebbs with potential...

VA Sooner
10/19/2009, 11:08 PM
Still green in real game time situations. Will improve... I see the potential. Made a few rookie mistakes... teachable, coachable.

I'm impatient... as I think our crowd is.

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:11 PM
For a freshman he is doing a great job...

starclassic tama
10/19/2009, 11:39 PM
his talent level is off the charts. sure we aren't having the year we hoped, but compare landry as a RS freshman to rhett bomar. jones will be a SUPERSTAR, probably next year if bradford goes pro.

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:42 PM
his talent level is off the charts. sure we aren't having the year we hoped, but compare landry as a RS freshman to rhett bomar. jones will be a SUPERSTAR, probably next year if bradford goes pro.

I think he will be a good one...

westbrooke
10/19/2009, 11:50 PM
Sam used to LOCK down on MK and Iglesias every damn play. Difference was he had time to throw a pass to them that only they could catch, AND... they actually caught the ball.

LJ's footwork, arm strength and poise have been great when compared to guys like Rhett Bomar. NTM, his head is in the game and not on the crowd, on the sidelines, on the cheerleaders, on National TV, etc. like most freshmen.

^^^This.

Sam had a better cast to keep the team running while he figured out how to check down. Landry will learn this in time.

Soonerus
10/19/2009, 11:55 PM
I think Landry will have a big day this Saturday...and DeMarco...and Chris...etc...

Tim Tebow
10/20/2009, 12:00 AM
Landry is a great quarterback, but I think I could teach him some things.

rawlingsHOH
10/20/2009, 12:01 AM

That is simply being a freshman. Sam was the same way, first half of 07.

jdsooner
10/20/2009, 12:01 AM
In watching the replay of the game, Brandon Caleb was wide open on the last third down play when Jones threw a short pass to Murray. Caleb was so far behind the Texas defense that it would have been a sure touchdown. Jones was under no pressure, he just locked on to his receiver.

He has played well, considering the circumstances. However, I don't think he has the starting job locked up yet.

Soonerus
10/20/2009, 12:03 AM
Landry is a great quarterback, but I think I could teach him some things.

Be very careful...

rawlingsHOH
10/20/2009, 12:03 AM
Landry will be unfairly compared to Sam for years to come. He isn't as naturally talented as Sam and he isn't blessed with the supporting cast Sam had. I hope they can get something figured out for the O line and TE situations by next season. Losing Williams, Simmons and Eldridge nearly guarantees we will need JUCO help if there is any out there to give him a chance next year.

I'd certainly say he had a stronger arm, at a similar stage in career.

rawlingsHOH
10/20/2009, 12:07 AM
People are maybe trying to hold him to the standard because he's the second highest rated recruit that we've had during Stoop Tenure.
I'd say 4th, behind Bomar, Rawls and Grady. Soon to be 5th, once Bell signs.

But all of these rankings are, frankly, quite silly.

sooners2win
10/20/2009, 12:10 AM
I love Landry, but I hope like heck Drew Allen is getting lots of reps also, I would hate to see Landry go down......And the way this year has been....Nah....nah...that would be too much!!!

gaylordfan1
10/20/2009, 08:01 AM
Wonder how Landry would have done with last years WR's and O-line... I think people fail to remember how loaded the offense was last year. Bradford did come in and have a record game against Baylor and could have done better with better WR play.... But remember, Landry is taking the same hits Bradford took this year. I am pro Landry! Keep up the good work son.

BillyBall
10/20/2009, 08:07 AM
I'm not giving up on this year, I just hope Landry isn't pressed with unrealistic expectations by the fans.....

Nate Hybl syndrome

fossil
10/20/2009, 11:53 AM
First I would like to apologize for a hastily and angry post I made regarding Jones last Sat. night. It was unfair to be so harsh on him and in hindsight I realize I was just being an ***.

I apologize to him, to the team, to the fans and to this board.

I am still a bit critical of him, but I realize that it is only proper to be constructive in my critic. He is a very good QB...one that would most definitely start for %80+ of the 117 teams out there. I do look forward to watching him grow and develop into yet another star QB for OU! ..and I believe he will.

But this isnt going to happen until he gets his head together. Happy-feet an outstanding QB does not make.

However, it's rather simple. With Sam we advance to the redzone. With Jones we pick up a few first downs (against halfway descent teams). This isnt about O-line, or about the O-plays, or about the receivers. Those guys are doing a pretty dang good job, and Sam is proof of that.

With Hybl it was indecision. As good as Hybl was for us, his mild case of panic led to the inability to detect-and-execute. This often led to incompletions, or rather "Outstanding defensive execution!!" for the other team :\

Bomar didnt trust his team..and tried to be a one-man-team. Unfortunately for him, Long or Stoops didnt have a one-man-team play in their playbook.

Sam on the other hand is indeed a true leader in every sense of the word. A true leader QB executes [i]through his team, not above his team..and definably never despite his team.

Landry... runs away from pressure that isnt really there (yet). This may be because his senses are hasty do to lack of snaps. He runs to the sideline to throw the ball away when he has 15+ open yards in front of him, leaving his dump-off wondering if he should wait to catch the ball, or run-block.

Anyway - these are things that CAN, and I honestly feel, WILL be fixed in time. I really do think that Stache will one day be know among the great QBs at OU.

And I hope that this post will not make too many too angry. It is my honest opinion and assessment. I hope it isnt too critical. I know that many will take exception with it, and if I am not being patient enough with his "youth", please realize that he is a man after all.

:mad: I'm madder than hell, and I ain't gonna TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!

Boooom!
10/20/2009, 08:45 PM
:mad: I'm madder than hell, and I ain't gonna TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!

But you know you will be watching the next game(s) :)