PDA

View Full Version : WNBA's Detroit Shock moving to Tulsa?

JohnnyMack
10/19/2009, 09:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4576647

Is this official?

Can't say that I really care, but I guess it's better than nothing.

My Opinion Matters
10/19/2009, 09:53 AM
Um, hurray?

StoopTroup
10/19/2009, 09:55 AM
Tulsa Toxic Shock?

iwannabelikesam
10/19/2009, 09:58 AM
As a Tulsa resident, I couldn't care less. I can honestly say I will never even ever consider going to a game.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/19/2009, 10:15 AM
So, does this mean Tulsa > OKC? After all, the WNBA > NBA, right Tulsans? :D ;)

kbsooner21
10/19/2009, 10:30 AM
So, does this mean Tulsa > OKC? After all, the WNBA > NBA, right Tulsans? :D ;)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

StoopTroup
10/19/2009, 10:32 AM
It's a lab experiment.

Will it make more money than the Thunder?

Will it outlast the Thunder?

Stuff like that.

JLEW1818
10/19/2009, 10:37 AM
already bought season tickets

kbsooner21
10/19/2009, 10:38 AM
It's a lab experiment.

Stuff like that.

Do you really need an experiment to answer those questions? :D

StoopTroup
10/19/2009, 10:41 AM
Tulsa University seems to have expanded a few research departments. So maybe we don't need the answers...it's just fun to spend money sometimes.

kbsooner21
10/19/2009, 10:42 AM
Hey if Jlew has season tix, the beer sales will keep the franchise running for decades :D

setem
10/19/2009, 10:43 AM
As a Tulsa resident, I couldn't care less. I can honestly say I will never even ever consider going to a game.

2nd class citizens is all they are! right?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsSmEA2FrZs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsSmEA2FrZs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

iwannabelikesam
10/19/2009, 11:26 AM
Is the wnba even going to be around much longer? I thought it was likely they were going to fold.

tulsaoilerfan
10/19/2009, 12:12 PM
Hell yeah, lots of hot lesbian action coming to Tulsa!!! ;)

StoopTroup
10/19/2009, 12:22 PM
Is the wnba even going to be around much longer? I thought it was likely they were going to fold.

Hillary is working on getting them bailout dough.

badger
11/20/2009, 04:32 PM
The possibility that Courtney might be coming back to Oklahoma just got stronger. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=29&articleid=20091120_29_0_SACRAM538268)

King Barry's Back
11/22/2009, 05:54 PM
The possibility that Courtney might be coming back to Oklahoma just got stronger. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=29&articleid=20091120_29_0_SACRAM538268)

Tulsans, any updates on this?

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 07:10 PM
Hell yeah, lots of hot lesbian action coming to Tulsa!!! ;)

Right, except for the hot part. :O

StoopTroup
11/22/2009, 07:20 PM
Having a Daughter that has started playing Basketball...I look forward to taking her to a higher level of Basketball.

Curly Bill
11/22/2009, 07:32 PM
Having a Daughter that has started playing Basketball...I look forward to taking her to a higher level of Basketball.

That part would be cool. I think any time you can take kids to college games, or pro games, to see the game played in a high quality way is beneficial to them.

badger
11/24/2009, 10:09 AM
I had a co-worker that was really interested in getting season tix, until the prices were announced.I am not sure what ticket prices are, but here is a link to the main WNBA page (http://www.wnba.com/tulsa/) and it says it requires a $100 deposit to reserve a seat.

History dictates that WNBA teams' biggest draws are their initial seasons, so perhaps the investment group is looking to cash in early and eat losses later (I am not sure of this, but I have heard that WNBA teams have been operating at losses since the beginning of the league).

I probably speculated too soon in hoping that CP3 could come to Tulsa. It is possible that the Sacramento franchise will simply move to a new city much like Detroit's moved to Tulsa. The speculation is that Sacramento will move to San Francisco (insert joke on San Fran being the ideal market for WNBA... it's ok, the national media already has).

San Fran is Courtney's home. It's where her daddy Bubba played pro football, after all. Something tells me she would prefer going to San Fran rather than Tulsa... but the other Paris sister, on the other hand, has already said that she would like to play at a Tulsa franchise. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20090918_226_B1_Former176698&archive=yes)

"I'm excited," she said. "I want a team here as much as the fans. Having a professional team in Oklahoma would be great. Courtney and I both, even if she stayed in Sacramento, would love to come through the state of Oklahoma and play again. If there is a team here, I'd love to play on it."

That might be, of course, because Ashley doesn't currently have a franchise to play for, as she got cut before last season even started. Technically, though, neither does CP3 right now.

Stay tuned... I'll update if I ever hear anything and hope you all do too :)

Scott D
11/24/2009, 05:34 PM
It's a lab experiment.

Stuff like that.

they've already won more titles as a franchise than the Sonics/Thunder ;)

Scott D
11/24/2009, 05:36 PM

Well considering that the Sacramento franchise may or may not exist in the near future it's not a surprise.

Tulsa's getting a pretty good team as it stands now. A franchise that has won 3 of the last 5 WNBA titles. Get ready for promos starring Katie Smith and Karl Malone's daughter...(I forget her name)

badger
11/25/2009, 09:27 AM
Well considering that the Sacramento franchise may or may not exist in the near future it's not a surprise.

Tulsa's getting a pretty good team as it stands now. A franchise that has won 3 of the last 5 WNBA titles. Get ready for promos starring Katie Smith and Karl Malone's daughter...(I forget her name)

If I remember korrectly from my SI for Kids (used to read avidly), all of Karls' kids start with the letter K.

I think that San Fran will get a franchise soon, just because a few are looking to get sold or just fold, so I would have to think that CP3 would rather play at her original home than her home-away-from-home.

Scott D
11/25/2009, 10:09 AM
actually baj, I looked it up...her name is Cheryl Ford. As for Courtney, who knows....the Maloofs have ceased operations of the Sacramento franchise, and the WNBA/NBA are actively looking for someone to take the franchise, with the preference to keep it in Sacramento. Who knows where that will stand.

I will say this much, Tulsa probably wouldn't have gotten the Shock if Mr. Davidson hadn't passed away earlier this year.

badger
11/25/2009, 10:20 AM
From Wikipedia:

Malone has been married to the former Kay Kinsey, winner of the 1988 Miss Idaho USA pageant, since December 24, 1990. The couple has four children together: son Karl, Jr. born 1995, and daughters Kadee born 1991, Kylee born 1993, and Karlee born 1998.
I'm not saying you're wrong... I think I know what happened there - SI for Kids probably didn't ask him about paternity lawsuits :D

Scott D
11/25/2009, 03:12 PM
Cheryl was born in 81 in Lousiana while Karl was still at La. Tech. This is from her bio on the wnba website.

Daughter of Bonita Ford of Haynesville, and NBA legend Karl Malone . . . Has three brothers, Daryl Ford, Larry Ford, Karl Malone Jr. and four sisters, Thelma Ford, Kadee Malone, Kylee Malone and Karlee Malone . . . Majored in health and physical education at Tech . . . Born in Homer, La.