PDA

View Full Version : Face Mask?

KantoSooner
10/19/2009, 09:06 AM
Help me out here: during the third quarter, OU kicks and Texas recovers at about the nine. Ball carrier is tackled immediately. Flag is thrown and it's called a face mask. In several replays, I saw the tacklers hands no higher than the ball carriers belly button.
Did I miss something? My DVR was not working, so I don't have the luxury of reviewing the play. Did anyone else get confused by this?

<let me be clear: I am not claiming official bias. I am not saying this call cost us the game. I am not even particularly bitchin'. I'm just looking for a reality check.>

Soonersince57
10/19/2009, 09:12 AM
All texas players wear face masks on their crotches.

OUmillenium
10/19/2009, 09:12 AM
It wasn't called on the tackler. On the replay, you can see a Sooner shedding his blocker and he has a hold of the whorns facemask. Good call even though I hated it and it did not affect the actual play.

zman515
10/19/2009, 09:13 AM
Help me out here: during the third quarter, OU kicks and Texas recovers at about the nine. Ball carrier is tackled immediately. Flag is thrown and it's called a face mask. In several replays, I saw the tacklers hands no higher than the ball carriers belly button.
Did I miss something? My DVR was not working, so I don't have the luxury of reviewing the play. Did anyone else get confused by this?

<let me be clear: I am not claiming official bias. I am not saying this call cost us the game. I am not even particularly bitchin'. I'm just looking for a reality check.>

I think it was called on one of the OU guys that was getting blocked, not on the tackle. I thought I saw it on one of the replays but wasn't sure and I don't have the game on tape.

My question is why isn't it a hands to the face instead of a facemask penalty? Are there hands to the face penalties in college or is everything a facemask penalty?

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:13 AM
They called on a coverage guy taking on a blocker. Facemask calls, away from the ball, are a rarity.

KantoSooner
10/19/2009, 10:08 AM
Thank you. I didn't see it, but was concentrating on the point of attack and not on away from the ball action.

soonersweetie
10/19/2009, 11:53 AM
If I am thinking of the right play, #5 for OU grabbed a horn's facemask (away from the ball). It was in the lower left hand corner of the tv screen. You could barely see it. In fact, I think the announcers even had a hard time finding it. I wish the refs had been wrong, but nope, he did it, very blatantly.

Fraggle145
10/19/2009, 12:04 PM
Yet when a running back does it its called a stiff arm.

hobbes2702
10/19/2009, 02:51 PM
Running backs aren't allowed to do it anymore. They can stiff arm but are not allowed to grab the face mask.

Statalyzer
10/19/2009, 04:58 PM
Running backs aren't allowed to do it anymore. They can stiff arm but are not allowed to grab the face mask.

Correct.

GrapevineSooner
10/19/2009, 05:08 PM
Marion Barber made a living off that move with the Cowboys before the NFL told him he couldn't do that anymore.