PDA

View Full Version : DT, the weakest position on the defense

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 12:23 AM
Kinda of crazy to imagine, with an All-American at one spot, isn't it?

No depth has emerged there, at all. Lotsa potential.

tommieharris91
10/19/2009, 12:27 AM
I don't see it. I think it's somewhere in the secondary.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 12:35 AM
I don't see it. I think it's somewhere in the secondary.
The tackling, by the safeties especially, has been a little hit or miss. But the coverage, with the exception of a couple busts, (which happen) has been phenomonal.

gaylordfan1
10/19/2009, 07:43 AM
Maybe its just me...but a team can't play better defense than we played sat! Holding them to one TD and forcing turnovers... That game was lost by the offense. McCoy was in the backfield plenty... even with two linemen on his junk! But thats just my opinion.

SoonerMavrick25
10/19/2009, 08:37 AM
I am pretty sure we went had three straight fumbles in the 2 quarter on 3 plays and gave the ball to Texas with an avg field position being on the say 25 yd. line

They scored 3 points.

Enough said.

BosworthXXXL
10/19/2009, 08:48 AM
GK was being held on most (maybe even every) plays (play)

our defense gave up hardly any of the 16 points texass scored

our offense and special teams gave them up with the turnovers and fumbles

our D was total destruction 1st half

2nd half we seemed to get away from what we were doing, which bothered me

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 08:54 AM
Maybe its just me...but a team can't play better defense than we played sat! Holding them to one TD and forcing turnovers... That game was lost by the offense. McCoy was in the backfield plenty... even with two linemen on his junk! But thats just my opinion.

I am pretty sure we went had three straight fumbles in the 2 quarter on 3 plays and gave the ball to Texas with an avg field position being on the say 25 yd. line

They scored 3 points.

Enough said.

Let's try and keep it on topic.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/19/2009, 08:55 AM
The tackling, by the safeties especially, has been a little hit or miss. But the coverage, with the exception of a couple busts, (which happen) has been phenomonal.

Agreed about tackling. Lewis and Clayton were in the backfield and behind the line of scrimmage a lot and they whiffed on quite a few plays. I can't remember the exact play but it was in the 3rd quarter and had them in 2nd and 20 or so and Lewis had a chance to make a tackle for a loss but instead whiffs and it turns into a 15-18 yard gain. We were SPECTACULAR in coverage and completely shut down Shipley and Colt's underneath routes but Clayton dropped, flat out dropped 2 picks, both of which may have been a pick 6. Beal continued to be an absolute monster and they doubled(possibly held, I won't be a homer and cry about it) McCoy and he was pretty much eliminated. Anyone else notice Auston English getting back to form quite nicely and having a great game??

TexasEx4OU
10/19/2009, 08:55 AM
Considering the absolute monster game that GK McCoy had on Saturday, this is pretty much the last post-game thread title that I expected to see.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 08:56 AM
In most years, we liked to rotate 4 players in at the 2 DT spots. In some years with less depth, 3. This year that 3rd DT really has yet to emerge. I can't even recall seeing anyone BUT Taylor and McCoy out there Saturday.

KantoSooner
10/19/2009, 09:00 AM
agreed, TexasEx. Aside from some poor tackling form (arm tackles and getting driven back when it would have been terribly nice to drop the SOB where he was first hit), the de really deserves no bedowngradin'.
the offense, on the other hand, well, let's be kind and dwell on injuries. At least we can say that they were playing a good defense.

SoonerMavrick25
10/19/2009, 09:00 AM
Let's try and keep it on topic.

Okay... hows this...

When I opened this thread I spit out my drink in disgust.... Might be one of the worse threads post game I have read. I didn't see anything work up the middle for Texas. (maybe a few qb draws)

IslandSooner
10/19/2009, 09:04 AM
GK and Adrian both had great days, I didn't see too many plays that they didn't require extra attention from *exas' O-line, which kept the edges softened up for Beal and English.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:07 AM
Considering the absolute monster game that GK McCoy had on Saturday, this is pretty much the last post-game thread title that I expected to see.
McCoy is an All-American, this thread is discussing the depth of the position.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:10 AM
Okay... hows this...

When I opened this thread I spit out my drink in disgust.... Might be one of the worse threads post game I have read. I didn't see anything work up the middle for Texas. (maybe a few qb draws)
The subject is...

No depth has emerged there

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2009, 09:15 AM
Stoops has taken a different direction with the DT's this year as far as number of snaps...Tommie Harris averaged around 30-35 snaps a game...

Gerald McCoy played around 70 snaps(maybe off a few) against BYU....haven't seen a count on the other games..

I think Gerald McCoy is a guy you want on the field as much as possible...Taylor is OK.....But depth at DT isn't really an issue this year

cheezyq
10/19/2009, 09:17 AM
This is a pretty absurd thread, dude. I really think our biggest weakness on defense is the fact that we concede at least 7 yards every play by lining all our DBs up near the first down marker...but that's just me. The first half, we played a nice bump and run, and it bought the DL time to get to the QB (plus a few blitzes). Second half, we go back to our normal "Can we gift you a first down?" defense.

Regardless, I'm usually very critical of our defense, and I didn't see much wrong with it...until the 2nd half. It's kind of hard to keep the other team from scoring when they're on your side of the field all day long. Hell, I thought our D this weekend was actually way better than theirs.

And there's no way you can say that the DL is the weakest position...not when those guys are being held every down, and are only allowed by the coaches to bull rush every down. It would have been nice if we could just play Texas, and not the officials, too. It would have been nice to have them take the skirt off of UT's players and not allow their defenders to hit our players out of bounds late, maul receivers as the ball is arriving, and other crap like that. But that's what we've come to expect from the RRR and the Big 12 officiating crew.

Oh, and...HOLD ON TO THE BALL!!!!

Sooner04
10/19/2009, 09:18 AM
With posts like this I'm just glad his handle isn't Wilson A2000. Seriously, the defensive tackles? Those guys are monsters.

I see weakness with Lewis and Carter. You hit hard, fine, but how about just making a play? Take on a block and make a play. Those guys are where the rope is fraying.

The DTs? Those guys are animals. Who cares about depth? Anyone's going to look thin when you follow those animals. I don't remember who backed up the Selmons either.

cheezyq
10/19/2009, 09:19 AM
The subject is...

Perhaps the fact that we have an AA and another nice run stopper in Taylor is the reason why we don't play our backups. To say that the position is a weakness simply because we don't play our backups a lot is pretty short-sighted.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:24 AM
Stoops has taken a different direction with the DT's this year as far as number of snaps...Tommie Harris averaged around 30-35 snaps a game...

Gerald McCoy played around 70 snaps(maybe off a few) against BYU....haven't seen a count on the other games..

I think Gerald McCoy is a guy you want on the field as much as possible...Taylor is OK.....But depth at DT isn't really an issue this year
Taylor is exactly "OK".

Depth is a HUGE issue, those 2 looked gassed in the 4th quarter of all three losses.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:26 AM
With posts like this I'm just glad his handle isn't Wilson A2000. Seriously, the defensive tackles? Those guys are monsters.

I see weakness with Lewis and Carter. You hit hard, fine, but how about just making a play? Take on a block and make a play. Those guys are where the rope is fraying.

The DTs? Those guys are animals. Who cares about depth? Anyone's going to look thin when you follow those animals. I don't remember who backed up the Selmons either.
LOL

Watch them (at least Taylor) get moved off the ball in the 4th quarter of all three loses.

Then talk to me about depth.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2009, 09:26 AM
Evidently in the BYU game, you missed the last drive where GK made 3 or 4 TFL's by myself.....I wouldnt say BYU scored because the DT's weren't making plays

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:29 AM
Evidently in the BYU game, you missed the last drive where GK made 3 or 4 TFL's by myself.....I wouldnt say BYU scored because the DT's weren't making plays
That BYU game by McCoy, may have been the single best game I've seen out of a Stoops Era DT. He was phenomonal!

The fact stands. We only have TWO guys to go to in crunch time. That is UNHEARD of in a one-gap defense.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:33 AM
When you see a rotation on Saturday, I won't expect an apology. After all, I never got one regarding Ryan Reynolds subbing out on passing downs.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2009, 09:36 AM
this is good...apology for what?

Sooner04
10/19/2009, 09:41 AM
Watch them (at least Taylor) get moved off the ball in the 4th quarter of all three loses.

Then talk to me about depth.
I blame Schmidt.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:41 AM
I received a lot of negative feedback for saying that Reynolds struggles in space, and we ought to consider subbing him out in passing situations. Which OU never did... until Saturday, when he spent about 1/2 the game on the sidelines. Instead, people would respond with remarks like, 'Clayton and Lewis are the ones who suck in coverage', etc.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:45 AM
I blame Schmidt.
There isn't a S&C guy out there who is going to be able to get two 300-pounders going 100% for 70+ snaps in a one-gap scheme.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2009, 09:47 AM
oh.....well Reynolds does struggle in space, and Lewis and Clayton have made a lot of mistakes in coverage that people pass off on being Reynolds responsibility...

I wouldnt say Lewis and Clayton in coverage is what took out the Texas passing game for most of Saturday...

btw, its nice to think maybe you was the first one to think up this master plan of taking Reynolds off the field in passing situations, but its not..the idea has been pushed around on this board for quite a while...

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:54 AM
oh.....well Reynolds does struggle in space, and Lewis and Clayton have made a lot of mistakes in coverage that people pass off on being Reynolds responsibility...

No doubt, but a lot of that is because they reduced RRs responsibilities. For example, against Miami, they were had an outside backers run the seam in some Tampa-2 looks. That is an incredibly tough play.

btw, its nice to think maybe you was the first one to think up this master plan of taking Reynolds off the field in passing situations, but its not..the idea has been pushed around on this board for quite a while...
I've been saying it since the 07 Colorado game, and we started to see it implemented once in a while after the 07 Texas game. SLB Lew Baker stayed on the field when Holmes came in as the nickel.

Sooner04
10/19/2009, 09:54 AM
You better be careful, rawlingsHOH. You're going to rip your shoulder out of socket patting yourself on the back so often.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:56 AM
WHO WANTS TO TALK FOOTBALL!?!?!!!

:les:

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 09:57 AM
You better be careful, rawlingsHOH. You're going to rip your shoulder out of socket patting yourself on the back so often.
I did enjoy ADs increased role on third downs yesterday. Vikes are explosive!

soonerfan28
10/19/2009, 10:01 AM
Not at DT, but MLB. Reynolds still doesn't have the speed to cover and lateral movement isn't there. I think even if he files for a hardship he'll have to beat out some talented underclassmen next year....Tom Wort or Ronnell Lewis.

SoonerMavrick25
10/19/2009, 10:13 AM
Just throwing this out there...

Texas Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
C. McCoy 21/39 127 3.3 1 1
Texas Stats
1st Downs 20
3rd down efficiency 5-19
4th down efficiency 0-0
Total Yards 269
Passing 127
Comp-Att 21-40
Yards per pass 3.2
Rushing 142
Rushing Attempts 40
Yards per rush 3.6
Penalties 11-103
Turnovers 3
Fumbles lost 2
Interceptions thrown 1
Possession 34:32

Please explain to me what your b*****g about???????

VA Sooner
10/19/2009, 10:15 AM
I think the D had a monster game. If one of three possible picks were made (two by Clayton, one by Jackson) in addition to what we had, the outcome would have been different.

Oh to have Jackson make a pick six in that fourth quarter... justice.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2009, 10:27 AM

you could make a fortune betting against lewis on the "Oklahoma Drill". what gets under my skin is how he sizzles like bacon when the OL either doesn't cover him or blows an assignment and he hits the ball carrier. there are linebackers all over the nation that can make that play, what separates an OU linebacker from the rest is making that play while being blocked. its hard to believe how badly we've fallen at linebacker since calmus and lehman left.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 10:34 AM
Just throwing this out there...

Texas Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
C. McCoy 21/39 127 3.3 1 1
Texas Stats
1st Downs 20
3rd down efficiency 5-19
4th down efficiency 0-0
Total Yards 269
Passing 127
Comp-Att 21-40
Yards per pass 3.2
Rushing 142
Rushing Attempts 40
Yards per rush 3.6
Penalties 11-103
Turnovers 3
Fumbles lost 2
Interceptions thrown 1
Possession 34:32

Please explain to me what your b*****g about???????

The defense was great against Texas, and all season long. We're looking at what it would take to even be greater.

SoonerMavrick25
10/19/2009, 10:53 AM
The defense was great against Texas, and all season long. We're looking at what it would take to even be greater.

I guess we need to call the NCAA and ask if the Selmon Brothers have some eligibility left, Maybe throw in Tony Casillas, Mix in some Tommie Harris. Boz looks like he is still in pretty good shape. Who else am I missing?? Derrick Strait prolly hurdles Colt Mccoy and scampers on in for A TD. Torrance Marshall Catches those balls Kennan Clayton doesn't. Am I missing anyone???

Look you are seriously stretching for an answer to a question that shouldn't be asked.

Hotrod3157
10/19/2009, 11:13 AM
Okay... hows this...

He just titled the thread wrong. Its should be thinnest position on the defense. It certainly isn't a weak position just hope neither of them get banged up.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 11:20 AM
He just titled the thread wrong. Its should be thinnest position on the defense. It certainly isn't a weak position just hope neither of them get banged up.

You are right. I tried to edit, but it wouldn't let me change the title.

SoonerMavrick25
10/19/2009, 11:38 AM

Can that not be said about every position at every program?????

icmwhOU72
10/19/2009, 12:13 PM
I do not understand why BV doesnt like to rotate the dt's or the DE's at all. Our d would be soo good if we could keep mccoy and taylor and beal and english fresh for the forth quarter. I wish they would let stacy mcgee play and rj washington come in on passing situations. Its funny that they will burn a redshirt on J Miller and M. Trice and R. Lewis and J. harris just to play special teams, but wont let a j. Macfarland give taylor or mccoy a break.

rawlingsHOH
10/19/2009, 12:16 PM
I do not understand why BV doesnt like to rotate the dt's or the DE's at all. Our d would be soo good if we could keep mccoy and taylor and beal and english fresh for the forth quarter. I wish they would let stacy mcgee play and rj washington come in on passing situations. Its funny that they will burn a redshirt on J Miller and M. Trice and R. Lewis and J. harris just to play special teams, but wont let a j. Macfarland give taylor or mccoy a break.
He always did before. He obviously sees the 3 and 4 DTs as a big liability.

MacFarland isn't redshirting.

Scott D
10/19/2009, 12:24 PM
In most years, we liked to rotate 4 players in at the 2 DT spots. In some years with less depth, 3. This year that 3rd DT really has yet to emerge. I can't even recall seeing anyone BUT Taylor and McCoy out there Saturday.

the problem is they've been running a 3 man rotation there all year. They've already played McFarland once so they've burned his shirt so he should be getting out there more. Clearly Granger isn't anywhere near as close to healthy as the coaching staff led the fanbase to believe earlier in the season since he hasn't gotten any PT at all that I can remember.