PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell is coming in January

MamaMia
10/18/2009, 11:25 PM
Hes a good Catholic boy, so he'll probably be going to mass along side Joe Castiglione and the Stoops family.

Evaluation

Bell is ironically a dual-threat QB that stands at about 6'6 with surprising athleticism and ability to make plays with his legs as well as his arm. He reminds us a little of a taller Jake Locker from the 2006 class only Bell isn't as physically imposing in terms of his frame just yet. Bell has only been a starter at QB for one full season having spent time at WR as a sophomore so his best football is definitely ahead of him. He is long and lanky with good feet and a nice feel in the pocket. Plays primarily out of the shotgun in a spread scheme that really utilizes his versatility. He is one of those guys that can make every throw yet still maintain touch and throws a very catchable ball. Gets set in the pocket, certainly has the size to scan the field and generally gets rid of the ball on time. This scheme features a lot of short and intermediate throws and some deeper touch passes down the sideline and he has shown he can fit the ball into tight spots when he is on time and his feet are set. Shows a quick release and nice RPM's on underneath throws. He has improved his overall ball speed and velocity and he has upside to possess an elite arm over time. Athletically he is an impressive guy, he can create and improvise when things break down and will buy himself extra time with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. Has good speed for the position and also throws well on the run, particularly to his right side. Has the arm and intuition to throw off balance when he has to and make a last ditch effort to make a play. Bell, while talented, is still raw in terms of consistent mechanics at times. Can carry the ball low and will take his off hand off the ball with pressure around him. Must be careful as not to get stripped. Can be a tense passer in the upper body and must relax and become more fluid in his overall mechanics. Compared to some other QB's in other regions, level of competition could be perceived as a concern coming out, but his talent level certainly isn't. Overall, the best thing about Bell is his upside to be much better in two to three years than he is now which excites coaches with his high ceiling for development. He has the arm, measurables and athleticism to succeed and he also appears to be highly competitive in terms of intangibles.

Notes

Committed April of junior year... 2008: Threw for 3,231 yards, 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Rushed for 336 yards and 12 more scores. Kansas ESPN Rise Gatorade Player of the Year. 2007: Completed 145 of 229 attempts (63.3-percent) for 1,794 yards and 19 touchdowns. Father Mark and Uncle Mike both played in the NFL. Also recruited by:Missouri, Tennessee, UCLA, Clemson, Miami-FL, West Virginia, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona, Colorado State (where his father played in college)...

Curly Bill
10/18/2009, 11:29 PM
By the time Heupel gets done with him I'm expecting big things.

Gets here in January so has an offseason to work, will likely redshirt so there's another year. Along with Allen backs up LJ for a year and then competes for the starting job.

...or who knows, if he's a real stud that may all happen sooner.

sooners2win
10/18/2009, 11:45 PM
Well I'm glad he is coming to be a SOONER, but I don't see him getting ahead of Landry or Drew. Just my opinion from what little I've seen of him.

westcoast_sooner
10/19/2009, 12:00 AM
Saw him play on an ESPN Friday night national game a couple of weeks ago. I love his quick release and the fact that he can move around the pocket - very athletic. Getting him in in January would be good. Not sure he would compete this spring, but with a RS year, he'll be ready to step up.

rainiersooner
10/19/2009, 12:04 AM
That's what this sorry season has come to, huh?;)

tulsaoilerfan
10/19/2009, 07:53 AM
If we keep running the shotgun spread, we need a dual threat QB that can actually run the ball so we can help out the running game; otherwise, let's go back to a traditional offensive set

Soonersince57
10/19/2009, 08:31 AM
Shhh. Let's pretend we haven't heard of him or he may blow a knee with our luck.

OUmillenium
10/19/2009, 09:08 AM
By the time Wilson/Stoops gets through with him, he won't be a dual threat qb.

zman515
10/19/2009, 09:11 AM
By the time Wilson/Stoops gets through with him, he won't be a dual threat qb.

So true.

I am not sure how 336 yards rushing makes you a dual threat anyways.

JLEW1818
10/19/2009, 09:19 AM
his skills remind me of Bomar

Sooner in Tampa
10/19/2009, 09:45 AM
his skills remind me of Bomar

:eek: I hope he has a better head on his shoulders