PDA

View Full Version : JOHN CANZANO at it again

OKLA21FAN
10/18/2009, 05:24 PM
Jihad!!!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/10/how_oklahoma_intends_to_play_b.html

How Oklahoma intends to play beg its way into the BCS
By John Canzano, The Oregonian
October 17, 2009, 10:15PM

Oklahoma is 3-3 after its Saturday loss to Texas, and presumably headed south in the rankings. Yet... Received an email from Kenny Mossman, the senior associate athletics director at Oklahoma at 2:04 p.m. pacific today. It must be urgent, so I opened it.

Here's what it said:

Oklahoma’s three losses …

· By a total of five points.

· All on neutral or road fields.

· All versus ranked opponents.

Kenny Mossman

Sr. Associate Athletics Director/Communications

University of Oklahoma

I suppose Oklahoma feels like it's a sore-luck loser for losing so many close games. And I get that it's Mossman's job to deal with Coach Stoops and put out a weekly release, box score, injury report, etc. But damn. Pandering and begging for votes in the hours before the pollsters meet their deadlines? And justifying away a three-loss season with a special email release pointing out that the losses were close sort-of-road losses to decent teams?

Did they really just do that?

Mossman said, "Not lobbying. A reporter asked me outside the interview today for that stat and said, 'that's a helluva note.'. I thought others might feel the same way. Sorry if you didn't find it interesting. The writers who do notebooks have often emailed back that they like the quick-hitters as opposed to lengthier stuff."

Good to know. Still, peppering the national media with a note like that... as many are prepping their ranking votes? I suppose outside of actually winning the games that's as ambitious as it gets.

Well at least they didn't blame Gordon Riese.

rawlingsHOH
10/18/2009, 05:27 PM
A) Mossman's lobbying for completely meaningless votes, at this stage, is petty.

B) The author of this article is a jack***.

kelloggOUballa
10/20/2009, 10:40 AM
Why would you include someone's e-mail signature in your article? That's classless BS!

NormanPride
10/20/2009, 11:11 AM
They're just mad that they win their games and still don't get the love that we do when we lose. It sucks being an eternal second-tier program, doesn't it Oregon? :)

Pricetag
10/20/2009, 11:30 AM
I love how he throws Gordon Riese in there like it wasn't stone cold truth.

StoopTroup
10/20/2009, 11:35 AM
Oregon tosses Pete Carroll's salad.

GrapevineSooner
10/20/2009, 11:36 AM
I blog over SBNation's Dallas Stars blog, Defending Big D, and we're on the Dallas Stars media distribution list.

After every game, we get these same kinds of emails from the Dallas Stars PR staff. There's no agenda behind them. They're just little nuggets of information.

And John Canzano knows this.

He's basically trying to start a fire where none exists.

TUSooner
10/20/2009, 11:37 AM
A) Mossman's lobbying for completely meaningless votes, at this stage, is petty.

B) The author of this article is a jack***.

This. ^^

ouduckhunter
10/20/2009, 11:41 AM
I love how he throws Gordon Riese in there like it wasn't stone cold truth.

He writes in our local paper. At least 4 or 5 times a year he trots out the same old story about how mean and crazy the Sooner fans are and how we made poor old Gordon Riese's life a nightmare!! He'll quote Oregon fans who live in Oklahoma who say that Sooners are all nuts, etc.!! Canzano can just not let it die!

I get so sick of him and all the west coast writers who think that USC, Pac10 football, Ducks, Phil Knight, etc. are the best!!! Aaaarrgghhhhhh!!!

GrapevineSooner
10/20/2009, 11:56 AM
He writes in our local paper. At least 4 or 5 times a year he trots out the same old story about how mean and crazy the Sooner fans are and how we made poor old Gordon Riese's life a nightmare!! He'll quote Oregon fans who live in Oklahoma who say that Sooners are all nuts, etc.!! Canzano can just not let it die!

I get so sick of him and all the west coast writers who think that USC, Pac10 football, Ducks, Phil Knight, etc. are the best!!! Aaaarrgghhhhhh!!!

The posting of his personal information, harassment, and death threats were certainly over the line.

Criticizing him for the terrible job he did on that day is not.