PDA

View Full Version : Best coaching job in quite sometime...

misplaced_sooner
10/17/2009, 10:49 PM
Hats off the OU coaching staff. The troops showed up ready to play and played with extreme intensity today. Sure, you could question the lack of blitzing in the 2nd half or Wilsons red zone play calling.

But, overall I thought this was a good job by the coaching staff. The team is so depleted with injuries, they played with extreme heart today. I like the fact Wilson finally let Landry open it up alittle bit.

Good job gents.

Curly Bill
10/17/2009, 11:02 PM
I think BV, whom I'm as critical of as just about any poster on here, did a good job.

KW on the other hand not so much. How many times do we have to see a run into the back of our OL to set up 2 and 12?

Funky G
10/17/2009, 11:09 PM
Defensive game plan was great, especially in the first half. Consistent 3 and outs coupled with the penalties put the defense in tough position in the 2nd half. All in all, defense played great, and missed a few pick six opportunities to win the game. Shipley was shut down, TX OL jumped several times due to pre-snap defensive movement, and rushing game was a non-factor. Giving up 16 points with 5 turnovers and tough field position is a pretty damn good performance.

getrdone
10/17/2009, 11:28 PM
as a coach myself-defensive coach to be specific-i kept wondering why wilson kept trying to run plays into the boundry-short side-after all as a defensive coach-that makes my job a lot easier when i only have to defend1/3 of the field. that and calling about 15 back flares in a row. i remember the nasty set we used to run a few years ago and turn around and toss sweep it behind it-was a pretty good play many times-can't say i remember the last time i seen it.

overall though mostly i don't think we have recruited and developed talent as much as in years past. we also could have had the kicker osu got from mansfield summitt tx, who could have potentially had plenty of distance to win the byu and miami games this year-but for some reason we didn't go after him. personally say him kick 60 plus yarders before hs games.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/18/2009, 12:28 AM
Tress Way can do that. I've seen him do it.

We have him stroking punts, but the kid is one hell of a place kicker, too.

EstablishedSooner1967
10/18/2009, 12:32 AM
BV had an outstanding game plan... I think the injury bug has just caught up with OU and the lack of depth at OL and WR/TE

pappy
10/18/2009, 12:42 AM
BV definitely did his homework and came prepared. I liked that most the time on 3rd down he actually took reynolds out cause he can't keep up with people on passing plays and he went man to man and blitzed...he did that the entire first half and mixed it up some with the zone in the 2nd half...it was a great game plan and we took the middle of the field away.

KW on the other hand went into the fetal position like he always does against good teams.

Bob, I liked that he showed some of the stuff that got him nicknamed "big game bob" like going for it on 4th down instead of punting it away in the 4th quarter. However he could've stepped in and overruled kw a few times on some of those terrible calls he made all game long.

pappy
10/18/2009, 12:46 AM
Also...

Bob once again showed that he doesn't have what it takes to win a close game. he is now 4 - 9 in games decided by 3 points or less. I told a friend of mine at halftime when he predicted we would win 16-13 and he is usually the pessimistic one during games and I'm the optimist but I replied and said nope we'll lose b/c bob and company can't win a close game....I was right. I'm not happy about being right.

soonerfaninfla
10/18/2009, 12:52 AM
i was pretty pleased with the defense game plan, but the offensive game plan really is not that great, its very obvious what calls are going to be made, and the opponents are well aware of it too, I would like to say that it could be due to injuries and inexperience, but its been this was for a couple of years now

PhilTLL
10/18/2009, 02:13 AM
I can't think of many ways I would have changed the coaching job today. If any of the run plays works as designed, we're all joyous and ranting about how brilliant the calls were. We can't pass every single down. Run games don't usually work on shiftiness and misdirection, and if you have to resort to that a lot, you probably have a talent gap; our overall talent level is supposedly high enough every year that getting positive rushing yards from the basic, predictable formations and plays should not be a Herculean task. Even running wide to the edge is supposed to work if only you can seal off the lanes. That just didn't happen. No holes up the middle/off tackle, no lanes on the edge. Sadly, if I give the coaching a thumbs-up, this only leaves me with one other route to clumsily direct my blame, and I reallllllly hate to have to question the overall level of execution on the field...but if the shoe fits...

Put another way, the playcalling is not much different from last year, and I don't have to cite many statistics to remind you of the whizzing scoreboard slot machine that was 2008's offense. There's also no reason to expect that opening it up will work if you can't get results on the basics, especially if you can't give your QB (whichever one) sufficient protection. Today one unit put the other in position to win the game if only they could play Situation Normal--no miracles needed even after The Injury, just basic, successful, positive-yards offense--and it did not happen. The first half was a brutally lost opportunity.

ashley
10/18/2009, 07:00 AM
Having the best QB in the nation on the bench changes you play calling.

the_sooners_abide
10/18/2009, 07:12 AM
KW didn't fumble 5 times, throw 2 INT's, or block. Our O is the walking wounded right now. As for offensive playcalling, you could see what happens when Landry tries to throw down the field. He's young and just not very accurate yet.

wishbonesooner
10/18/2009, 07:40 AM
I was proud of our staff, they had us in the game with bubblegum and bandaids holding it all together. Seems as though they actually can coach! Maybe the coaching staff needs motivation just like players do?

OUHOMER
10/18/2009, 07:52 AM
I would think after watching every game this year. Wilson would the offense on the field after every game.

teaching them how to run block. I understand we are the walking wounded, I get it. But is run blocking that hard too teach for a group of top notch coaches.

Sooner70
10/18/2009, 07:53 AM
BV & Co. did a great job. Anytime you can hold a top 10 team to as few points as that, Defensively good.

KW...well...minus yards rushing ain't so good. Texas D is good for sure. I understand all the player execution problems aren't KW's fault, but seems to me the mark of a good coach is matching the offensive scheme to the talent you have available, being able to strategize against the opponent (both before the game & during), make adjustments, etc. OU's lack of running success isn't due to the lack of running back talent (Murray, Brown, Madu), but it may be due to lack of holes (OL experience;talent) and/or the schemes KW is trying+ inexperienced receiver Corps (+ Gresham out) not being able to fade the heat for the running game. One thing for sure....going wide on Texas usually don't work. Too fast & good.

Colt misses that tackle on Brian Jackson, & OU wins. Heck, at Texas they must teach offensive players to play good defense.

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 08:37 AM
Probably the best job by Brent Venables since he has been at OU; the guy deserves huge props for the effort and the play of his defense yesterday

redlegsooner
10/18/2009, 09:17 AM
BV did his job and nothing more.. you are on crack if you think the rest of the staff did a good job.. go rewatch the game.. crappy play calling ruled the day once again... it could have been 21-0 by half if we had a decent OC...

redlegsooner
10/18/2009, 09:18 AM
BV did his job and nothing more.. you are on crack if you think the rest of the staff did a good job.. go rewatch the game.. crappy play calling ruled the day once again... it could have been 21-0 by half if we had a decent OC...

redlegsooner
10/18/2009, 09:19 AM

PhilTLL
10/18/2009, 11:24 AM
Okay Mr/Ms. Triple-Posts to start his/her SF.com career. I need specifics. Which plays should not have been called and what would have worked better in their places? How would your magic playcalling skillz have improved the situation if the players still couldn't manage to execute the plays?

BASSooner
10/18/2009, 11:43 AM

negative. this was a result from the lack of quality tight ends that we have and inconsistency of the run game

MamaMia
10/18/2009, 12:00 PM
I was proud of our staff, they had us in the game with bubblegum and bandaids holding it all together. Seems as though they actually can coach! Maybe the coaching staff needs motivation just like players do?
Uh, they get paid really well. That should be motivation enough. :confused:

MamaMia
10/18/2009, 12:06 PM
double post

SPuL
10/18/2009, 12:08 PM
KW didn't fumble 5 times, throw 2 INT's, or block. Our O is the walking wounded right now. As for offensive playcalling, you could see what happens when Landry tries to throw down the field. He's young and just not very accurate yet.

Exactly.

While I give Landry all the props in the world. He is gaining valuable experience, and he will only get better from all this, he showed that he was a freshman out there.

I too agree in the BYU and Miami game that the play calling confused and pissed me off. However, in today's game it wasn't actually bad. I remember that 3rd and 20, and KW called that dump off to Brown or Murray to take it to 4th and 1. Great call there.

Then in end, he gave Landry all the chances. Honestly, on that last pick. He had great protection, all the time in the world, he just made a pretty bad decision.

Then he overthrew some other receivers in some parts.

All in all the offensive play-calling might not have been GREAT, but it was more than enough to win that game. Landry just couldn't make the plays.

85Sooner
10/18/2009, 12:12 PM

I can tell you DID watch the game.

redlegsooner
10/18/2009, 12:42 PM
section 24 row 30.. definitely watched it. Why did we not QB sneak it on the first 4th and 1.. why did we run the ball up the middle practically every 1st down?? I'm not a coach getting paid 6 figures so I shouldn't be able to tell what play we are going to run.. Hell that kind of play calling won't even work on xbox.. not discounting the dropped balls, fumbles, etc... but that is still just EXCUSES... even when we had Gresham LAST YEAR against Texas and Florida.. we still got beat because of the same crappy coaching.. KW has to go..

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 01:01 PM
negative. this was a result from the lack of quality tight ends that we have and inconsistency of the run game

Don't we have anyone to move to tight end? Why not Miller? I thought Hanna was supposed to be a threat but i don't even recall seeing him yesterday

ocsooner
10/18/2009, 01:16 PM
BV & Co. did a great job. Anytime you can hold a top 10 team to as few points as that, Defensively good.

KW...well...minus yards rushing ain't so good. Texas D is good for sure. I understand all the player execution problems aren't KW's fault, but seems to me the mark of a good coach is matching the offensive scheme to the talent you have available, being able to strategize against the opponent (both before the game & during), make adjustments, etc. OU's lack of running success isn't due to the lack of running back talent (Murray, Brown, Madu), but it may be due to lack of holes (OL experience;talent) and/or the schemes KW is trying+ inexperienced receiver Corps (+ Gresham out) not being able to fade the heat for the running game. One thing for sure....going wide on Texas usually don't work. Too fast & good.

Colt misses that tackle on Brian Jackson, & OU wins. Heck, at Texas they must teach offensive players to play good defense.

I agree with BV and co, great defensive game. Seems like he might have listened to us with pulling Reynolds out on obvious passing situations. Really sealed up the short pass in the middle. Also, Shipley wasn't a factor.

If KW was a good coach, he would coach to the players he has instead of the ones he had last year. This is not last year's offense, they obviously can't run the plays that we ran last year, so CHANGE THE SCHEME. I have heard from Bob several times - we ran these plays last year/earlier in the game/etc... and they worked then. When they stop working, change them, don't keep running the same thing - defenses figure things out after a while.

Coaches can make players look brilliant, just like players can make coaches look brilliant. The brilliant coaches are the ones that look good with different players year after year. Unfortunately, they are rare, and we don't seem to have them on offense.

ocsooner
10/18/2009, 01:21 PM
Maybe I should qualify my last statement "... we don't seem to have them on offense." I would be very curious to see what Huepel could do if he was OC. I'm just afraid that he would only be around for a year or two before being pilfered to some other team as a HC.

redlegsooner
10/18/2009, 01:38 PM
I agree with BV and co, great defensive game. Seems like he might have listened to us with pulling Reynolds out on obvious passing situations. Really sealed up the short pass in the middle. Also, Shipley wasn't a factor.

If KW was a good coach, he would coach to the players he has instead of the ones he had last year. This is not last year's offense, they obviously can't run the plays that we ran last year, so CHANGE THE SCHEME. I have heard from Bob several times - we ran these plays last year/earlier in the game/etc... and they worked then. When they stop working, change them, don't keep running the same thing - defenses figure things out after a while.

Coaches can make players look brilliant, just like players can make coaches look brilliant. The brilliant coaches are the ones that look good with different players year after year. Unfortunately, they are rare, and we don't seem to have them on offense.

right on.. BV did fine in that he did his job like it ought to be done.. KW is an excuse maker.. great coaches make things happen with what they have.. Stoops has got to recognize this or maybe he doesn't care.. do we have to lose to some more conference opponents to make him care? maybe so...

jduggle
10/18/2009, 01:38 PM
In reply to ocsooner... I agree and I'll add...How did Wilson's offense work for us against Florida in the red zone? Wasn't that proof his offensive philosophy had a few flaws?

The more I've thought about the game yesterday, the more confused I am as to our entire offensive strategy. I just can't except that Oklahoma couldn't do better than -18 yards rushing without there being something wrong with the coaching. As I've reviewed parts of the game there were many times when our offensive linemen were caught watching the play, standing as the ball carrier was tackled. I know they are young and inexperienced, but are they really that bad???
I have to agree that Wilson is starting to resemble Long in his predictability and lack of ingenuity. Again, you can make all the excuses you want....injuries, inexperience, the great Texas D...we are still fielding a team that has talents and it is up to the coaches to create a playbook that takes full advantage of their talents. Even the wishbone would have put up more rushing yards...can you imagine Brown, Murray, Madu (why is he not seeing the ball??), Calhoun, Broyles.... we can't get any positive rushing yards????

westbrooke
10/18/2009, 04:17 PM
I'm adding my name to the list of those applauding Venables. I've been critical in the past, but much credit where it is significantly due. That was a killer gameplan, mostly outstanding execution, and a lot of passion. It was fun to watch.

I'm also going to take a cautious step out on a limb and defend Wilson and the offensive staff on this one. I don't like our red zone offense and I wish our offensive line could win a game of Red Rover against a group of first graders, but I liked the way we kept taking shots downfield. In other words, I didn't see the same fetal-position football that I saw against BYU and Miami. Maybe it was confidence or maybe it was necessity, but Wilson put his trust in Jones to win the game against a damn good Texas defense with his arm, and not just screen passes.

GKeeper316
10/18/2009, 04:33 PM
what we need to do is hire john blake to recruit for us. he may not have been worth a **** as a head coach, but ill be damned if he couldnt bring in talent.

GKeeper316
10/18/2009, 04:36 PM
and just so everyone is clear... brent venables cannot be blamed in any way for what has happened this year. his defenses are consistently doing thier job. giving up some 3rd downs is to be expected in big time college football.

every single problem this team has is on the offensive side. losing big time players before or at the start of the season doesnt help, but its still a lack of offensive production and inexperience that killed us this year.

this defense cannot be faulted in any way for the offense not being productive.

Soonerus
10/18/2009, 04:38 PM
I think it was one of the best defensive performances ever...

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 04:40 PM
I think it was one of the best defensive performances ever...

I wouldn't go that far

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 04:41 PM
If we continue to run the spread, we need a mobile QB to give us another option to run the ball; otherwise, we just need to ****can it and come up with something else

Soonerus
10/18/2009, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't go that far

You wouldn't, I would....

Curly Bill
10/18/2009, 04:48 PM
Rus is "Mr. Sunshine."

MALE918
10/18/2009, 04:49 PM
Put another way, the playcalling is not much different from last year, and I don't have to cite many statistics to remind you of the whizzing scoreboard slot machine that was 2008's offense.

OK I'm in full agreement with you that our offensive losses have been, well-devastating. However, this arguement is getting old and after the bowl games last year - the sec statements of no d were proven accurate.
So if I go out and demolish my 15 y.r. old son in a game I must be amazing. Not so much. when we played teams of equal or greater talent/coaching......Unfortunately and sadly we lose................but i still fly my ou flag on the front of my house.

Soonerus
10/18/2009, 04:51 PM
Rus is "Mr. Sunshine."

...and usually right, I might add...

Curly Bill
10/18/2009, 04:52 PM
...and usually right, I might add...

That's quite debatable. ;)

Soonerus
10/18/2009, 04:54 PM
That's quite debatable. ;)

Not debatable, I almost always right in my own mind...:P

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2009, 04:55 PM
good performance by the D.....giving up over 100 yard rushing in the 2nd half though, it would be tough calling it one of the best ever...

most of the best ever performances would result in a win

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 06:25 PM
You wouldn't, I would....

IF that's one of the best defensive performances ever then our standards have slipped considerably

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 06:25 PM
good performance by the D.....giving up over 100 yard rushing in the 2nd half though, it would be tough calling it one of the best ever...

most of the best ever performances would result in a win

And usually shut outs

SOONER44EVER
10/18/2009, 06:34 PM
How come every time we lose 3 or more games someone comes on here saying what a great coaching job is being done? I remember a similar thread in 2005 I believe.

Jdog
10/18/2009, 07:35 PM
Defense played their best game in a very long time. They were tired by the Q3 because of how often they were on the field - and had a small let down.

On offense = will someone please teach Jones how to throw a long ball. The kind of rainbow ball that arches over the defender and floats down over the shoulder of the receiver. PLEASE.
Low "Lasers" and "throws on a rope" tend to give defenders more of an opportunity for interceptions.