PDA

View Full Version : How come OU doesn't have better receivers?

Ark_Sooner
10/17/2009, 08:19 PM
After having an offense for the past several years that throws the ball all over the field and sets multiple NCAA records, how is OU not loaded with good receivers? Ryan Broyles is great, but he is the only consistent playmaker that can be counted on.

rawlingsHOH
10/17/2009, 08:56 PM
It is disappointing that they haven't stepped up. They did play a little better today.

In 2005 we broke in 3 freshman, Manny, JI, and Malcolm. So 2009 figured to be a rebuilding year. Unfortunately, none of the underclassmen have emerged, like the potential we saw in 2005.

Greco164318
10/17/2009, 09:11 PM
It is disappointing that they haven't stepped up. They did play a little better today.

In 2005 we broke in 3 freshman, Manny, JI, and Malcolm. So 2009 figured to be a rebuilding year. Unfortunately, none of the underclassmen have emerged, like the potential we saw in 2005.
I just dont see anything special about the upcoming receivers

cvsooner
10/17/2009, 09:23 PM
I've never seen anything like it. And it seems it's endemic amongst the receiving corps...though Adron Tennell may have gotten over his. I think he was two for two today and had a big tackle on a punt return.

OUbasketball4life
10/17/2009, 09:32 PM
Class of 2007 WR
Tyler Stradford – Transferred
Corey Wilson - Accident
Josh Jarboe – Booted to pursue a rap career at Troy
Dejuan Miller – Not practicing hard
Jameel Owens – Not going to pan out
*One of the top WR classes for 2008
2009 only had two WR for some strange reason
Jaz Reynolds – Getting limited time
Cam Kenney – Doing well to have come in June this year and he’s getting playing time.
I expect OU to have a pretty nice incoming freshman class for 2010. We got kind of spoiled watching Manny and IGGY.

jumperstop
10/17/2009, 09:33 PM
Jazz Reynolds look like he had some potential last week.

MamaMia
10/17/2009, 09:33 PM
How long has Jay Norval been the receivers coach? I remember hearing that he was a defensive back from Iowa in the early 80's. I wonder is hes giving Bobby Jack Wright any pointers?

IBleedCrimson
10/17/2009, 09:35 PM
i think caleb looks like he could be excellent. kenney looked very solid as well IMO

rawlingsHOH
10/18/2009, 02:05 AM
How long has Jay Norval been the receivers coach? I remember hearing that he was a defensive back from Iowa in the early 80's. I wonder is hes giving Bobby Jack Wright any pointers?
I know he was the Indianapolis Colts WR coach about 10 years ago. Seemed to do pretty good there. LOL

Pretty sure he's been either a WR or QB coach his entire coaching career.

rawlingsHOH
10/18/2009, 02:06 AM
i think caleb looks like he could be excellent. kenney looked very solid as well IMO
I agree Caleb is good, a little limited speed wise, but physical. I'm glad he's back next year.

Okie35
10/18/2009, 02:10 AM
They'll be better next year. Don't worry about it and I say this because they'll get better when the season progresses.

the_sooners_abide
10/18/2009, 07:31 AM
Anybody notice that Tennell has been making plays the last few games. Good to see after his horrendous start. Also, I'd rename this thread as "How come OU doesn't have better receivers, o-lineman, TEs, kickers, etc?"

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 08:41 AM
We don't have better receivers cause these guys have gotten almost no playing time in all the blow outs we have had the last 2 seasons, then when they did we almost never were in throwing situations; we just don't do a good job of developing depth at some positions for some reason

soonerinabilene
10/18/2009, 09:08 AM
what i want to know is how does okie state always have receivers that look like men surrounded by boys? even without dez, their wr looked huge last nite.

IronHorseSooner
10/18/2009, 09:53 AM
Also, I'd rename this thread as "How come OU doesn't have better receivers, o-lineman, TEs, kickers, etc?"

I was thinking about this with the OL. Since last season we have had to replace seven players from OUr three deep to either graduation or transfer: Phil, Duke, Coop, Walker, Cooke, A. Williams, and Hannan. Assuming that Hannan would have been the starting center, and A. Williams would have been the starting RG, that means we are starting guys that we had little desire to start this year. Maybe we wanted to start Habern, but Hannan had another year in the system and did see some playing time last year.

As for TE, the staff was completely unprepared, as most teams would be, for the Gresham loss. Hanna is still a year away, and Eldridge and Mensik are more blockers. The other TEs are a true frosh (Ikard), a converted QB project (Johnson), and a walk-on (Ratterree). I still think that Hanna is the answer for next year.

For kickers, Way is going to be REALLY good. If he is a multi-purposed kicker, then why not use him for kick offs and FGs? The other two guys just don't have the form to be good kickers. If Jimmy hits the FG earlier in the game, then we are looking for a go ahead FG at the end, and the play-calling is completely different, and we likely punt * deep in their territory and play for overtime.

This is a perfect storm this year of carp. Combine injuries, to guys who left (either on their own or who were sent packing), with guys who the staff had no or very little intention on playing this year, and you have what we have.

The WRs will come around, and we should have some natural talents come in next year, much like the * kid yesterday who had a great game. Caleb is getting much better, we will, likely, have the best WR in the conference with Broyles, and give Jaz and CK more reps, and they will be good #3 receivers.

Even if Sam, DM, GK, Beal, T. Lewis, Dom, and RR all come back for 2010, the issue of the OL will still be there. Where do you start? This will be long, so bear with me. First, I would not replace Habern. He has the most potential of anybody on that line. As the center, he needs as many reps as he can get. If you do replace him, with, say Woods next year, then you will be back to square one with the QB of your OL. Next, I would keep Jeffries as one of the guards. He works hard, and you never hear his name being called for something bad. The first drive that I noticed him in on was DM's TD against thUg. He was right in the middle of the push to get him into the endzone. The other three positions are up in the air. J. Jones has a good bit to go to be effective. He wasn't good enough to start on the LSU line, and if anyone has seen the way that the LSU line has looked this year, this is disheartening. He would be my third choice on the line, because he has shown flashes where he can be good, but you hear his name too much. My next choice would be Evans at another Guard. The only reason he isn't out there is that he's a true frosh, and Jeffries has looked better than expected. Good has been a disappointment, and I don't want to even get into the problems with Brandon. After that, you have some projects. Vinson might play net year, and is a Big Phil-type, as is Alandoye, who is a Duke Robinson-type. Stephenson was supposed to be a good prospect, but I don't understand why he hasn't seen the field. Lepak likely won't see the field, and might be too light to make a significant impact at this level.

Coming in, you have another top 5 center in Woods. He's in the same mold as Coop, Hannan, and Habern. He will be coming in early, and will likely be Habern's back up. Shead is another top 10 national performer at his position. However, I think he will end up being a back up next year, as Jeffries and Evans progress. Williams is an interesting pick up, and from some have written, is a nice player who people have been in on late. He will likely be a redshirt. The same can be said about Thompson next year as well. The most interesting prospect next year will be Irwin. By some accounts, he is either the best or second best at his position nationally. He has a a lot of size. Is he good enough to come in early and beat out one of the guys mentioned above? T-Will did it, Duke did it, as did Coop. Others in the Stoops era have done it as well, like Vince Carter. The thing that is encouraging about all of the incoming OL recruits is that by some accounts, they are already contacting each other and developing a bond. Another thing with Irwin is that he is a lifelong OU fan, and has always wanted to attend there. He is like Sam in that regards. He seems like the type to give his full effort for this team, which is what we need more than anything.

Again, just my take.

MamaMia
10/18/2009, 10:11 AM
what i want to know is how does okie state always have receivers that look like men surrounded by boys? even without dez, their wr looked huge last nite. When I was watching the Kansas/Colorado game I saw that Kansas has a couple of receivers that played lights out as well. Their O Line is worse than ours. Their QB got hit all night long and was having to scramble the whole game.

IronHorseSooner
10/18/2009, 10:47 AM
When I was watching the Kansas/Colorado game I saw that Kansas has a couple of receivers that played lights out as well. Their O Line is worse than ours. Their QB got hit all night long and was having to scramble the whole game.

That would be Briscoe and Meyer. They are probably the best WR tandem in the conference, and maybe one of the better combos around in the country.