PDA

View Full Version : The pistol formation...

Sooner13
10/17/2009, 07:39 PM
sucked today about as much as the saying "Pistols firing" sucks on a daily basis...that is all.

okiewaker
10/17/2009, 07:48 PM
Run game was not good today, overall.

wolfeco24
10/17/2009, 08:52 PM
Was there one positve play out of that formation?

CBUS_SOONER
10/17/2009, 09:19 PM
it blew

Petro-Sooner
10/17/2009, 09:21 PM
I hated to see us use it. To me that formation has always seemed rather.......gimmicky.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 09:22 PM
the pistol formation should be shot in the face about 50 times

Curly Bill
10/17/2009, 10:51 PM
The pistol formation sucks at any level, high school or college, that it's ever been tried.

It really serves no useful purpose.

GottaHavePride
10/17/2009, 11:22 PM
'Scuse me while I whip this out....

What the hellcrap is the pistol formation?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/17/2009, 11:56 PM
Short shotgun with the HB lined up as an I back. Lemme see if I can get this to work.

ETGXGTE

Q
H

Petro-Sooner
10/18/2009, 12:15 AM
Short shotgun with the HB lined up as an I back. Lemme see if I can get this to work.

ETGXGTE

Q
H

It equals something nevada once run. Or still may. UGHH

Tulsa_Fireman
10/18/2009, 12:26 AM
Tulsa runs it a lot, too.

Just because we're predictable in it doesn't mean the formation's crap. TU makes it look sharp.

Curly Bill
10/18/2009, 12:27 AM
I don't think you get anything outta the pistol that you couldn't do better in other formations.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/18/2009, 12:34 AM
How?

It lets you run downhill from shotgun as opposed to a steady diet of sprint draw and zone read. It allows more fluid playaction from shotgun by giving an honest look to the A gap. It allows the back to clear to the flat from a downfield angle, making it easier for him to square his pads to the QB to receive from the backfield. And it gives zero pre-snap read for the defense as to which side protection, if the RB stays home for pass pro, will be established.

Again, just because we're not as inventive with it as others doesn't mean the formation is crap.

pappy
10/18/2009, 12:37 AM
I think we tried to throw the ball twice the entire game with the pistol formation and probably lined up in it 17 - 18 times. 1 was an incompletion and the other was the sack that knocked sam out of the game. it wouldn't be as bad if we passed more out of it, but every time we lined up in it we ran...pretty much.

Curly Bill
10/18/2009, 12:38 AM
Easy, if you want to run downhill don't get in the shotgun.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/18/2009, 12:40 AM
But isn't that "predictable"?

If we ran a Pistol set for 80 plays, then yeah, maybe you'd have a beef. But the formation, just like any other formation, has its benefits. The Pistol has 'em, too. And yes, being able to run downhill from shotgun is a VERY appealing tool to have.

pappy
10/18/2009, 04:24 AM
the pistol formation is predictable b/c we run the ball out of it 99% of the time we line up in that formation. That's why its predictable.

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 08:43 AM
Maybe we should ditch the shotgun except in certain situations and line up in the I half the time; surely we have players that could execute that

starclassic tama
10/18/2009, 12:31 PM
our running game out of the shotgun/pistol formation is just not working. our o-line is not good enough for a slow developing run play like that.

stoopified
10/18/2009, 12:33 PM
Complaining about the Pistol formation is ridiculous.It makes about as much sense as bashing the I or shotgun or empty sets we ran in this game.It is never about formation or even playcalling,it is about execution.The Wildcat is theperfect example of that because foe all intents and purposes it is a reinvention of the single-wing.

The pistol properly executed could be a boost to the offense because it allows you to use a wider variety of running plays than the shotgun with the RB beside the QB.Chris Brown for instance is a classic downhill runner and would benefit from this with BLOCKING.

IronHorseSooner
10/18/2009, 01:40 PM
No matter if you ran the shotgun, the pistol, the I, the option, pro-set, spread, West Coast Offense, or the run-'n'-shoot, if you can't block well, it won't work. Period.

jduggle
10/18/2009, 01:42 PM
So ....again we lose Bradford to a blitz... and we complain we can't block... and yet Clapp watches from the sideline.

StoopTroup
10/18/2009, 02:03 PM
Should we fire someone?

Crimson Kid
10/18/2009, 02:14 PM
They need to put the pistol back in the holster for awhile, they don't know how to handle it yet and they kept shooting themselves in the foot with it, many players were injured yesterday.

Sooner13
9/5/2010, 11:05 AM
yes, the pistol still sucks.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 11:18 AM
How?

It lets you run downhill from shotgun as opposed to a steady diet of sprint draw and zone read. It allows more fluid playaction from shotgun by giving an honest look to the A gap. It allows the back to clear to the flat from a downfield angle, making it easier for him to square his pads to the QB to receive from the backfield. And it gives zero pre-snap read for the defense as to which side protection, if the RB stays home for pass pro, will be established.

Again, just because we're not as inventive with it as others doesn't mean the formation is crap.

Your logic and rational thought has no place in this argument.

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2010, 12:18 PM
Demarco had many, if not most, of his 200+ yards out of the Pistol.

I can't understand why people are so upset that the running back lines up behind the QB than standing beside him without much of a chance for a running start.

ashley
9/5/2010, 12:46 PM
Complaining about the Pistol formation is ridiculous.It makes about as much sense as bashing the I or shotgun or empty sets we ran in this game.It is never about formation or even playcalling,it is about execution.The Wildcat is theperfect example of that because foe all intents and purposes it is a reinvention of the single-wing.

The pistol properly executed could be a boost to the offense because it allows you to use a wider variety of running plays than the shotgun with the RB beside the QB.Chris Brown for instance is a classic downhill runner and would benefit from this with BLOCKING.

Thanks for giving a good explanation. Some have not figured it out.

Dan Thompson
9/5/2010, 12:53 PM
Lets try the single-wing formation.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 01:03 PM

Blocking? Our O-line is more of a finesse line. Blocking is for barbarians.

yankee
9/5/2010, 01:08 PM
FIRE KEVIN WILSON!!!!!11

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 01:56 PM
quit worrying about what formation. football is about blocking. if it is blocked, any formation can work.

stoopified
9/5/2010, 02:09 PM
Murray looked pretty good running out of the pistol(as wel as the spread).It allows you to run I formation plays and still gives your QB the advantage of the shotgun.

OK2U
9/28/2010, 11:37 AM
So, um, UCLA ran it down *'s throat for 200+ yards out of the pistol last week.

Sooner13
9/28/2010, 11:39 AM
heh, maybe we should bring it back now. We obviously can't run out of any other formations. I've been surprised at the lack of physical play from our O-Line.

NormanPride
9/28/2010, 11:47 AM
UCLA ran it down their throats because their QB could run as well. Nevada would beat them for the same reason. Our QB does not run the ball, as evidenced by the amazingly horrible "option" we ran against cincy.

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2010, 11:51 AM
UCLA ran it down their throats because their QB could run as well. Nevada would beat them for the same reason. Our QB does not run the ball, as evidenced by the amazingly horrible "option" we ran against cincy.

Ugh. That "option" made me cringe. I was yelling, "damn, Landry, at least act like you might run." It was like watching a game of hot potato.

Jello Biafra
9/28/2010, 11:54 AM
The pistol formation sucks at any level, high school or college, that it's ever been tried.

It really serves no useful purpose.

it works for my team....

course, i coach 6 yos ;)

OK2U
9/28/2010, 12:17 PM
Actually,
Here's an example of an effective way to run "the pistol."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrsGHs2MCk
(3:30 mark)

soonerborn30
9/28/2010, 12:52 PM
:D

humblesooner
9/28/2010, 02:34 PM
yes, the pistol still sucks.

...should be used on Sooner13 for dragging up a year old post and making it seem like it is all one fluid string. ;)