PDA

View Full Version : The muffed punt/reviewed play

Sooner4FCD
10/17/2009, 05:32 PM
I was watching at a bar full of Sooners and couldn't hear the announcers, but how did Texas possibly end up with the ball where they did?

I mean there was only 3 possible outcomes to that play after review

1.OU ball as it looked like Franks touched the ball when he was out of bounds
2.Texas touchdown as it wasn't 100% clear whether he fumbled the ball before the crossed the goal like
3.OU ball at the 20 as Texas fumbled out of the end zone

How did Texas possibly end up with the ball at the 19? It was 100% clear no one ever went out of bounds while Texas had the ball.

Just wondering what the explanation by the refs was and if the announcers called them out for it.

I'm really not trying to whine as I would be alright if that was ruled a Texas touchdown I just can't understand the call.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:34 PM
I thought it was a fumble. He clearly had it then it was knocked loose.

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2009, 05:35 PM
They ruled it a muff.

And while you can dive into a muff, you can't advance one. :)

Petro-Sooner
10/17/2009, 05:36 PM
He never had total control of it.

Aries
10/17/2009, 05:37 PM
The ruling was, Franks was not out of bounds when he touched the ball. Since it was ruled a "muff", Texas could (and did) recover, but could not advance the ball. Once a Texas player controlled in on the field, it was their ball at that spot.

Sooner4FCD
10/17/2009, 05:38 PM
ahhhhhh I didn't know that rule. So you can't advance a muffed punt? Well that's the wrong call, but at least it doesn't drive me crazy. Really seems like Franks was out of bounds when he touched the ball which would make it dead but he was an idiot for trying to field it in the first place.

soonerboomer93
10/17/2009, 05:39 PM
A muffed punt can not be advanced when it's recovered by the opposing team.

The player has to establish possession. If they establish possession and then drop the ball, it's a fumble, if they don't establish it, it's a muff.

See here for an explanation:
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/11/laying-out-the-definition-of-a-muffed-punt/

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:41 PM
I thought he had posession.

nighttrain12
10/17/2009, 06:09 PM
ahhhhhh I didn't know that rule. So you can't advance a muffed punt? Well that's the wrong call, but at least it doesn't drive me crazy. Really seems like Franks was out of bounds when he touched the ball which would make it dead but he was an idiot for trying to field it in the first place.

You're right, he was an idiot trying to field that punt. It had almost rolled dead and a Texas player was nearby. At least the defense held tight and they only got 3 points on that drive.

Okie35
10/17/2009, 06:11 PM
It should've been called a touchback and OUr ball. He didn't muff it he was running w/ it and it came out. A muff its literally letting the ball FALL OUT of your hands.

Bosley
10/17/2009, 06:11 PM
You're right, he was an idiot trying to field that punt. It had almost rolled dead and a Texas player was nearby. At least the defense held tight and they only got 3 points on that drive.

How many points did we lose by?

;)

goingoneight
10/17/2009, 06:26 PM
That explains why Nic Harris tossed the ball out of the endzone against West Virginia

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2009, 08:03 PM
It should've been called a touchback and OUr ball. He didn't muff it he was running w/ it and it came out. A muff its literally letting the ball FALL OUT of your hands.

I thought is was a fumble too, but normally ruling it a muff is a break for the receiving team. If our guy (#48) hadn't forced the fumble at the goal line and "the muff" call had cost the horns a TD, can you imagine the outrage? I can't get indignant when the refs don't bail us out of a bad play on our part.

rawlingsHOH
10/17/2009, 08:06 PM
It wasn't a muff, it was controlled and fumbled due to the hit.

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 09:43 PM
It happened in Texass so we lose all close calls

ocsooner
10/17/2009, 10:19 PM

I think he saw the writing on the wall and was trying to make something happen. Seems to happen in games where some of the guys loose confidence in the play calling and think they have to make the game all by themselves.

ictsooner7
10/17/2009, 10:26 PM
It wasn't a muff, it was controlled and fumbled due to the hit.

That is how it happened.

BCS call.

getrdone
10/17/2009, 10:40 PM
he should have never tried to field the damn punt-can you say mark bradley usc orange bowl title game?

jumperstop
10/17/2009, 10:58 PM
he should have never tried to field the damn punt-can you say mark bradley usc orange bowl title game?

exactly what I was thinking when I saw the play.