PDA

View Full Version : Does Bob need to sit Sam?

wishbonesooner
10/17/2009, 04:11 PM
I hate seeing Sam put his future at risk.

Big D Sooner
10/17/2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure that Bob is going to have much a choice now. Sam's probably out for a while now.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/17/2009, 04:13 PM
Me too! I hope Sam thinks about his pocket book this time!!!

BOOMER!

Pricetag
10/17/2009, 04:16 PM
He needs to have his surgery and get ready for the NFL. Thanks Sammy!

nighttrain12
10/17/2009, 04:17 PM
I hate seeing Sam put his future at risk.

He's in a dangerous type of (future) job. If he just sits out (because of injury), does he really have much of a future in the NFL? I think unless he only misses 1 more game and then plays lights out the rest of the way, he needs to come back and have a health free senior season. Winning the Heisman and guiding your team to the Natl. Championship game in 1 season doesn't guarantee an NFL career or even a good first NFL contract.

Hotrod3157
10/17/2009, 04:18 PM
Yep Sam needs to be done for the year after this one. I don't think he's done anything permanent to his shoulder to this point it just needs to have a long break and completely heal. Depends on what all the scouts tell him on whether he comes back or not.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 04:23 PM
If sam ever plays at OU again, he is not as smart as everyone thinks..

He will go pro

sorry that our oline sucks at life Sam

SoonerDood
10/17/2009, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry I didn't get to see him play one last time.

TripleOption14
10/17/2009, 04:26 PM
Yep. Its now time to start working towards next year w/ Jones. Time to let Sam go. Although he could be key to Jones development for next year.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 04:27 PM
Maybe let him have a handoff against the pokes

delhalew
10/17/2009, 04:28 PM
IMO Bob should tell him to heal and get strong. He can play next year if he wants. Prolly needs to boost his stock.

AlbqSooner
10/17/2009, 04:44 PM
Sam should call his college career ended. His stock with the NFL will not drop, assuming his bill of health measures up - which I expect.

He has given this program plenty.

Widescreen
10/17/2009, 04:46 PM
sorry that our oline sucks at life Sam

Pretty uncalled for.

Okla-homey
10/17/2009, 05:10 PM
IMHO, Sam should not take another snap in an OU uniform. I'd hate to see such a fine a young man jeopardize his NFL career. From here on out, I want him to be paid millions to take hits and make us proud on Sundays.

zman515
10/17/2009, 05:11 PM
Sam needs to learn how to fall.

VA Sooner
10/17/2009, 05:16 PM
Time to go pro. He'll have his surgery, rehab in the winter/spring, get his degree in finance (3.94 GPA) and collect his rookie salary before they institute the cap.

Not worth the risk and I don't know that the o-line will be that much better next year. He could have been playing for the Lions... but it looks like Stafford is out with an injury as well.

Squigglyline
10/17/2009, 06:01 PM
Sam is done at OU. Thanks for playing your hardest Sam and good luck in the NFL....

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 06:03 PM
Sam needs to learn how to fall.

actually a good point

BHud
10/17/2009, 08:02 PM
Insanity. Sam is a CLASS act and a helluva kid, but it's time to let the kid go. The shoulder needs to rest and heal.

He's in a dangerous type of (future) job. If he just sits out (because of injury), does he really have much of a future in the NFL? I think unless he only misses 1 more game and then plays lights out the rest of the way, he needs to come back and have a health free senior season. Winning the Heisman and guiding your team to the Natl. Championship game in 1 season doesn't guarantee an NFL career or even a good first NFL contract.

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2009, 08:06 PM
Maybe let him have a handoff against the pokes

Yes! The kneel down from the vicory formation :)

CBUS_SOONER
10/17/2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the memories slingin Sammy. Take care of yourself and your family... You will be missed... I'll never forget the Tech game, the flip against the Pokes, etc...

p.s. If you come back,thats ok by me:)

G8trGr8t
10/17/2009, 08:13 PM
SHould he have been playing today?

There were a lot of folks that were second guessing Tebow playing at LSU but I didn't hear anybody questioning whether Stoops should have let Bradford play.

Kid is a special talent and has done a lot for OU. Was sad to see him hurt again today. Hope he gets his shoulder fixed up right in time for the combine.

ashley
10/17/2009, 08:27 PM
SHould he have been playing today?

There were a lot of folks that were second guessing Tebow playing at LSU but I didn't hear anybody questioning whether Stoops should have let Bradford play.

Kid is a special talent and has done a lot for OU. Was sad to see him hurt again today. Hope he gets his shoulder fixed up right in time for the combine.

That is the doc's and Sam's parents decision.

G8trGr8t
10/17/2009, 08:29 PM
That is the doc's and Sam's parents decision.

I understand that. It was the same for Tebow but a LOT of people were talking so much about how Meyer doesn't care about his player's health and he was just using Tebow .......... and worse.

Has there been any of that nonsense brought up with respect to Bradford playing today?

Sooner04
10/17/2009, 08:30 PM
If Sam takes another snap at OU I hope it's on Senior day against O-State and I hope it's taking a knee to seal the victory.

Other than that...............go make your money, Sam.

GottaHavePride
10/17/2009, 08:39 PM
I understand that. It was the same for Tebow but a LOT of people were talking so much about how Meyer doesn't care about his player's health and he was just using Tebow .......... and worse.

Has there been any of that nonsense brought up with respect to Bradford playing today?

No - because he was cleared and started last week. It doesn't make any sense to get your panties in a wad about whether or not he should have been playing this week when he played LAST week and threw for almost 400 yards.

G8trGr8t
10/17/2009, 08:41 PM
Did he take any hits in that game?

GottaHavePride
10/17/2009, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure he hit the turf a time or two.

wishbonesooner
10/17/2009, 08:45 PM
Learning to land on his back instead of his shoulder might indeed be a good move. I wonder if Sam might be a bigger help to our program by making it big in the NFL and showing kids you can do just what he did at OU.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/17/2009, 08:51 PM
Learning to land on his back instead of his shoulder?

For the love of God, he's being tackled. He's not a God damned tomcat.

G8trGr8t
10/17/2009, 08:55 PM
you think he needs to spend some time in the weight room? Is he as sleight of build as it looks like?

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 08:57 PM
Learning to land on his back instead of his shoulder?

For the love of God, he's being tackled. He's not a God damned tomcat.

This is exactly what "Dr Lou" said Sam should have been taught to do when discussing his shoulder injury(s) during the half of the SC Bama game. Despite the moniker I'm not a (former) QB, and so this is the first time I've heard this.

nighttrain12
10/17/2009, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure he hit the turf a time or two.

I'm pretty sure he took a couple of late hits by Baylor players who were trying to knock him out of the game with only the risk of a 15 yard penalty.

nighttrain12
10/17/2009, 09:38 PM
This is exactly what "Dr Lou" said Sam should have been taught to do when discussing his shoulder injury(s) during the half of the SC Bama game. Despite the moniker I'm not a (former) QB, and so this is the first time I've heard this.

Doctor Lou? Don't you mean Saint Lou? :D

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 09:58 PM
Sam will have surgery now and end his year BOOK IT if he's smart he will come back next year and prove he is a tough top pick in the draft

Petro-Sooner
10/17/2009, 09:59 PM
People. Guys not coming back. Drop it.

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 10:01 PM
People. Guys not coming back. Drop it.

It would be in his best interests too cmoe back next year IMO

MamaMia
10/17/2009, 10:03 PM
I was hoping that Sam would take a medical red shirt this season to let his shoulder heal up really well and then either go pro or come back next year to prove he still has it.

jumperstop
10/17/2009, 10:04 PM
I don't see why any real Sooner fan would want or expect him back. I mean I want him back, but I feel really bad for him. Needs to go to the NFL and make the big bucks.

rainiersooner
10/17/2009, 10:39 PM
you think he needs to spend some time in the weight room? Is he as sleight of build as it looks like?

I think he's 6'4 and 223 - that's not slight. Although, he looks smaller than he's listed. I'm not sure what another 10, 15, or 20 pounds does to protect his shoulder. Unless of course he triples the size of his deltoids...LOL.

Assuming Sam is still a first round pick, it's time for him to go. At the very least he should not play career suicide behind this rag tag o-line anymore this season.

aurorasooner
10/17/2009, 11:04 PM
It be interesting to know what the terms & payout are on Sam's insurance policy. Is it an amount that's the difference between what a top 5 QB pick got this last draft vs what he actually gets when he gets drafted in this years draft? Is it a set amount like mil/2mil/5mil/more etc, if he gets hurt (like he did) and can't finish the year at the college level? Does it only pay-out if the injury is severe enough where he doesn't get drafted by the NFL? If the policies are just based on him getting injured at the college level and have nothing to do with the NFL draft, then Sam may be looking a good chunk of insurance change for just being injured the rest of the year & not returning. (I would assume you couldn't get an insurance payout and still be eligible to play college FB the following year).
I don't really know how these types of policies work except after this year the insurance companies who write these types of policies will probably not offer one for a resonable premium to a college QB who returns w/o a proven OL or a line coach who has a proven track record in consistently developing/recruiting quality offensive linemen.

MamaMia
10/17/2009, 11:24 PM
I don't see why any real Sooner fan would want or expect him back. I mean I want him back, but I feel really bad for him. Needs to go to the NFL and make the big bucks.
You're insinuating that I'm not a real Sooner fan just because I made a case for why I could see Sam coming back? What...ever.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

GottaHavePride
10/17/2009, 11:31 PM
I was hoping that Sam would take a medical red shirt this season to let his shoulder heal up really well and then either go pro or come back next year to prove he still has it.

He doesn't need one - he's still only a Junior. ;) Plus, he couldn't apply for a medical hardship until after the 2010 season anyway.

10/18/2009, 12:21 AM
I hope he sits and moves on... for his sake. We've got a potential GREAT young QB that can only benefit from the experience. Imagine what his experience from this year can do for us. Sam can heal up and do so well in the NFL... I sincerely hope this situation ends up for the best.

rawlingsHOH
10/18/2009, 02:15 AM
It be interesting to know what the terms & payout are on Sam's insurance policy. Is it an amount that's the difference between what a top 5 QB pick got this last draft vs what he actually gets when he gets drafted in this years draft? Is it a set amount like mil/2mil/5mil/more etc, if he gets hurt (like he did) and can't finish the year at the college level? Does it only pay-out if the injury is severe enough where he doesn't get drafted by the NFL? If the policies are just based on him getting injured at the college level and have nothing to do with the NFL draft, then Sam may be looking a good chunk of insurance change for just being injured the rest of the year & not returning. (I would assume you couldn't get an insurance payout and still be eligible to play college FB the following year).
I don't really know how these types of policies work except after this year the insurance companies who write these types of policies will probably not offer one for a resonable premium to a college QB who returns w/o a proven OL or a line coach who has a proven track record in consistently developing/recruiting quality offensive linemen.

The policies used to only pay out if you had a career ending injury, and never played in the NFL. I remember a kid from the Gators, years back, collecting. Not sure if anyone else ever has.

I believe they have upgraded these however, in the last couple years, where kids can collect if an injury causes their "stock" to drop.

Okla-homey
10/18/2009, 06:03 AM
Lou "Mushmouf" Holtz keeps babbling about the fact Sam needs to learn how to fall properly. E.g. "QB's need to learn to twist their bodies to fall on their back and never their elbow or shoulder, etc, etc"

Now, is their anything to that? I mean, can a QB actually control the way he falls when he's hit hard on his flank? It's not like humans have cat-like reflexes (which generally land on their feet when they fall) to be able to reliably twist their bodies and fall on their back every time they are sacked.

what say you?

Hotrod3157
10/18/2009, 06:44 AM
Lou "Mushmouf" Holtz keeps babbling about the fact Sam needs to learn how to fall properly. E.g. "QB's need to learn to twist their bodies to fall on their back and never their elbow or shoulder, etc, etc"

Now, is their anything to that? I mean, can a QB actually control the way he falls when he's hit hard on his flank? It's not like humans have cat-like reflexes (which generally land on their feet when they fall) to be able to reliably twist their bodies and fall on their back every time they are sacked.

what say you?

There's a little truth to that but only in cases where the player isn't creamed. Sam got hit pretty hard against BYU and there wasn't anything he could do about how he fell.