PDA

View Full Version : Let it never be said

prrriiide
10/17/2009, 03:56 PM
that I won't give credit where it is due. I don't like Venables. Now that we have that piece of blatant obviousness out of the way...

His game plan in the first half was outstanding. The best I have ever seen from him in a big game. I was a bit chagrined when we got away from the constant pressure in the 2nd half, but the D still shut them down for the most part. 16 points for texass should be a victory for OU.

Some will blame this on Wilson. Not his fault either. There was some conservative playcalling, and that dive play that they shut down EVERY TIME WE RAN IT should have never been called after the end of the 1st Q. But as a whole, the playcalling was pretty good.

The weakness of our OL was a glaring liability today, and no doubt figured into the play selection by KW. The receivers showed up and made some decent plays. They missed a couple too, but that happens to every team every game.

No, this loss is due to one reason, and one reason only. For whatever reason, the Football Gods have decided that OU will have a mediocre year this year. No other reason than that. The ridiculous number of injuries to key personnel, the BS ref calls and non-calls, the goofy way the football bounces have all conspired to rob OU of that special season that we all expected.

Aside from the red zone performance, it was a good game. Good job by the coaches, good job by the players, and I am just as proud of this team as I have always been. When Sam went down, they could have hiked up their skirts and mailed it in. They didn't. They hung tough and gave texass all they wanted.

In the end, the loss of Sam, the weakness of the OL, and the fickle moods of the Football Gods were just too much to overcome no matter how big the fight in the dog was.

BOOMER SOONER!!

wishbonesooner
10/17/2009, 04:07 PM
No Venables fan here, but credit is due. Good performance by our D.

the_sooners_abide
10/17/2009, 04:16 PM
I've yelled countless an obsenity at Venables, but the D he fielded today reminds me of the 2001/2002 defenses. Today was all on the offense and the turnovers.

SoonerDood
10/17/2009, 04:19 PM
Colt completes 21 passes for 127 yards. Shoulda had 3 INTs. Got 3 turnovers as it was.
The muffed punt and the fumble inside their 30 were killer.

n8v_ndn
10/17/2009, 04:22 PM
Agreed. D played well enough for us to win it. Venables put the team in a position to win--he can't make the INTs we needed or make the stops we needed in the 2nd half.

How our program manages the offensive line's development and depth leaves me shaking my head.

It seems we've had waves and waves of misfortune this season; for the most part these young guys kept plugging away. I hope they continue to do so.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 04:25 PM
Lol we gave up 16 Points, that is it... Offense , come on now

1890MilesToNorman
10/17/2009, 04:28 PM
I hate wishy washy ****ing fans!!!

IronHorseSooner
10/17/2009, 04:32 PM
BV had a great game plan today. The D played their arses off. They left it on the field. The WRs did the best that they could, and Landry is going to have a bright future with us. To me this whole season comes down to the OL. I have been as critical as anybody with KW, but as somebody else said on here, this is one of the most porous lines in recent memory. We have a converted RT at LT, a true soph at LG, a RS Frosh at Center, and transfers on the right side of the line. OUr two main back ups are a true frosh and a junior who was recruited over. I don't think that WR or anywhere on D are OUr focus in recruiting, it needs to be OL. I know they have verbals from 5 OL, if they need to have the rest of the recruits to be OL, then so-freaking-be-it! We need some guys in there who take getting beaten on running plays or giving up negative plays personally.

OUfan7
10/17/2009, 04:37 PM
No positive yards on first down. We have been in third and long (8-25 yds.) all year long. I don't think Texass did anything different from the first half to the second, the only difference was that we did'nt disguise OUr "D" or bring the pressure. It upsets me to say but i think that we will win enough games to go to a bowl game and finish the year at 8-5. Just my opinion, hope i'm wrong.

nighttrain12
10/17/2009, 04:46 PM
The Sooners had 5 turnovers. Sure we could have overcome that with Bradford playing the whole game but with the players we had playing today, you are not going to win more than 20% of your games with 5 T/O's.

SoonerSon
10/17/2009, 06:30 PM
Excellent defensive game plan overall...especially shutting Shipley down...not a peep from him. Could have focused on doing the same to Ponyboy, though. He looked like Tebow on a couple of those first downs. Tough loss to take....3 losses by a total of 5 pts....unstinkinbelievable!

Curly Bill
10/17/2009, 06:39 PM
I don't like Musclehead either, and I still don't think he's an upper echelon DC, but the defense played very well today, and I'll credit him for that, just like I'll say it when I think he sucks.

Maybe this performance by the D will get him one of those head coaching jobs that some of you proclaim are out there just waiting on him to choose one. ;)

jduggle
10/17/2009, 06:46 PM
I'm in for a hat tip too...I even saw some man coverage today. Defense played well enough to win.

...and I still can't believe Wilson called that reverse.

Curly Bill
10/17/2009, 06:48 PM
I'm in for a hat tip too...I even saw some man coverage today. Defense played well enough to win.

Well, you can only run into the middle of the line, or throw it into the flats so many times. :P

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 06:49 PM
CB that you giving out all the 1 star love? hehee

Curly Bill
10/17/2009, 06:52 PM
Dude, some of these threads are so freaking lame it's not even funny. :D

Curly Bill
10/17/2009, 06:54 PM
I'm especially loving the "lets blame the officials" threads.

I hate officials as much as the next guy, but really...they cost us the game? :rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2009, 07:45 PM

I was not a fan of the reverse either, but it really didn't cost us. We were unlikely to get much from that position on the field and it actually led to a sequence that caused me to tip my hat to KW. On 3rd and forever from the 1, he called that flat pass to Ratterree to get us to the 8 for punting room and then Way boomed one out of there and restored field position. Everyone in the world (including me) thought we going to run Brown up the middle and I was really afraid they were going to get a safety. Instead, KW trusted Jones to make the pass and Ratterree the catch and it worked out.