PDA

View Full Version : -18 Rushing Yards

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 02:50 PM

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 02:54 PM
No Sam Bradford, -18 rushing yards, 5 turnovers.... no Jermaine Gresham, lose by 3 points.... hats off to you Stoops. not bad.. Good luck the rest of the way horns. but if you really think yall have a national title team.... ha

Since71ASooner4Life
10/17/2009, 03:02 PM
-18yards rushing and 5 turnovers - it's a miracle (and a testament to our defense) that we lose by 3. Yet there will be idiots before the season is over claims Brent Venables cant coach.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 03:31 PM
-18 rushing yards

how is that possible

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2009, 03:36 PM
in a thread a few weeks ago, i said that OU had to establish a run game to win these kind of games...another poster said it wasnt necessary but I would say if we were able to put together any kind of run game this year, might very well be 6-0

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 03:36 PM
If we would have run it 3 or 4 more times we could have broken -20. Oh well, KW tried.

htownsooner7
10/17/2009, 03:49 PM
O line is brutal.

pac10SUX
10/17/2009, 03:51 PM
OUr OL is really green and IMHO lost the game (& got Sammy hurt again). D was impressive.

I wouldn't be surpised if we win out. Let's hope * chokes 2 games so we can get a rematch with the Smurfs in the Taco Bowl.

Johnny Utah
in a thread a few weeks ago, i said that OU had to establish a run game to win these kind of games...another poster said it wasnt necessary but I would say if we were able to put together any kind of run game this year, might very well be 6-0

I would agree. Howver, there seem to be those that are easily seduced by the pass-happy, quick-scoring, light 'em up type of offense. Give me a shut down defense (like OU is this season) and an offense that can gain 5+ yards a play (and convert in the red zone) anyday.

SOONER44EVER
O line is brutal.

They pass block ok. Horrible run blocking...........yet we continue to run.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/17/2009, 03:55 PM
-18 rushing yards

how is that possible

We run east and west, I don't know why we don't line up in a power set and run north and south? Is the o-line that bad??

the_sooners_abide
10/17/2009, 03:57 PM
BTW, why was Eldridge back at center?

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2009, 03:58 PM

And if you throw the ball all the time, you become one dimensional.

I bagged on KW as much as anybody after the Miami loss. But after watching this game and seeing that Broyles is about the only consistent playmaker we have in the WR corps, I can somewhat understand all the bubble screens and flat passes.

In other words, I'm going to use my ignorance of college football coaching to pass on the opportunity to suggest anybody get fired. Because honestly, I don't know what the answer, outside of getting better players in here, is.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 03:58 PM
We run east and west, I don't know why we don't line up in a power set and run north and south? Is the o-line that bad??

Yes. Worst I have seen since I've been watching the Sooners.

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 03:59 PM
-18 rushing yards

how is that possible

Because this is the worst o-line OU has had in a very long time

madillsoonerfan5353
10/17/2009, 04:00 PM
OUr OL is really green and IMHO lost the game (& got Sammy hurt again). D was impressive.

I wouldn't be surpised if we win out.

I think this is on KW, getting a pocket passer on the edge on a naked boot? Not smart IMO, same thing that happen in the BCS game last year Bradford planted in the turf. D looked pretty good, RR went off the field on passing downs. BV had a pretty good game plan?

Got some tuff road game left, I hope Bradford thinks twice this time about getting on the field. He needs to start thinking about his pocket book.

sooner_kaufy
10/17/2009, 04:00 PM
Eldridge was at left guard.

jdsooner
10/17/2009, 04:02 PM
Perhaps you could consider the possibility that Texas could play the run without Bradford. Offensive line did not run block well, but they protected the quarterback better than Texas.

TripleOption14
10/17/2009, 04:04 PM
Run blocking is a "get down and dirty" attitude and they (O-line) simply dont show ANY toughness.

Pricetag
10/17/2009, 04:12 PM
OU had negative yards rushing a couple of times in 2000, if I remember correctly.

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2009, 04:20 PM
my biggest problem is why do we keep running the damn stretch draw play out of the shotgun? it worked 1 time today but i bet we ran it at least 10 times

westcoast_sooner
10/17/2009, 04:29 PM
When Sam went out, Texas just sold out to stop the run, and anything close to the LOS. Their philosophy had to be to make Landry beat them. We got basically zero from a downfield passing game that would have made Texas respect the pass - no way to open up the run. I think Sam's experience and accuracy would have made them play things a little differently and I think he's just better. I did expect to see a little more run to the edge, but the throws out that way yielded very little most of the time. CU was able to run consistently to the end, not so much up the middle.

Give Texas defense credit too. They are really good. Their offense - not so much.

East Coast Bias
10/17/2009, 04:29 PM
Pretty soon ST and the sunshine pumpers are going to start dropping bombs on you guys....

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2009, 04:30 PM
how can you have a deep passing game when you never try to go deep?Wilson just continues to let teams crowd the los and the short passes yet won't try anything to exploit it

bweezie
10/17/2009, 04:31 PM
did anyone else notice that nearly all plays run out of the pistol were run plays? there may have been 1 or 2 passes, but jeez... easy pickin' for the texas D

GrapevineSooner
10/17/2009, 04:32 PM
how can you have a deep passing game when you never try to go deep?Wilson just continues to let teams crowd the los and the short passes yet won't try anything to exploit it

He did go deep a few times in the second half. On one throw, Kinney had to dive just to get a hand on it and the second deep throw was well off the mark.

And then there was the throw to Caleb that was on the mark, but Caleb dropped it.

And you can't throw deep on every play as Al Davis has inadvertently proven.

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2009, 04:37 PM
i'm talking 40 yards deep, not 20; why didn't we put broyles out and just let it rip one time?

zman515
10/17/2009, 04:56 PM
did anyone else notice that nearly all plays run out of the pistol were run plays? there may have been 1 or 2 passes, but jeez... easy pickin' for the texas D

Exactly. Thats what I came here to say. 95% of the time we are in the pistol we run the ball. 99% of the time we are under center we run the ball. That is why we can never run the ball in short yardage situations. It is so ****ing obvious to the fans and the opposition, why can't we make someone pay for it by going playaction or just throwing from under center?

It also doesn't help when you don't trust your backup QB to throw it deep so opposing defenses might as well put 11 in the box because no pass will go further than 7 yards.

Why can't we run the same offense we run with Bradford in the game as when Landry is in the game? Is Landry too stupid to make multiple reads? Is this what we have to look forward to next year?

zman515
10/17/2009, 04:58 PM
He did go deep a few times in the second half. On one throw, Kinney had to dive just to get a hand on it and the second deep throw was well off the mark.

And then there was the throw to Caleb that was on the mark, but Caleb dropped it.

And you can't throw deep on every play as Al Davis has inadvertently proven.

The deep ball was a throw away.

The other two Landry had receivers wide open and lobbed it when he needed to throw it hard and threw it hard when he needed to lob it. Either way, the guys were open and we should have gone back to it.

VA Sooner
10/17/2009, 05:14 PM
That's something that Landry will have to work on... getting a little better touch on the ball when needed and more of a bullet when a receiver is at a standstill waiting on the ball and there's an All-American safety (Earl Thomas) running to bat it down).

More experience.

And a better line. -18 yards... that's embarrassing when you have two all-world backs.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 05:19 PM
i'm talking 40 yards deep, not 20; why didn't we put broyles out and just let it rip one time?

:les:

canes4ever
10/17/2009, 05:41 PM
If we would have run it 3 or 4 more times we could have broken -20. Oh well, KW tried.

When was the last time OU has minus rushing yards? Maybe the single wing? Probably like never. Hope Bradford is going to be ok,he's a class act.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 05:42 PM
I don't really want to go the Cotton Bowl and play an SEC defense ..

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:44 PM
When was the last time OU has minus rushing yards? Maybe the single wing? Probably like never. Hope Bradford is going to be ok,he's a class act.

I think we had negative rushing yards in 99 or 2000.

Soonerman08
10/17/2009, 06:18 PM

Had not we not kept forcing the issue (that we can't run up the middle) we wouldn't have had -18 yards rushing.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 06:20 PM
Had not we not kept forcing the issue (that we can't run up the middle) we wouldn't have had -18 yards rushing.

We might have had an even zero.

the_ouskull
10/17/2009, 06:21 PM
Run blocking is a "get down and dirty" attitude and they (O-line) simply dont show ANY toughness.

Ditto with the guys we lost this year. They were just more talented (and larger) than the current group.

the_ouskull

okiewaker
10/17/2009, 06:30 PM
Well, we couldn't run up the middle, we couldn't run outside. What the h*** is left? They frigin had to try something. Maybe UT stuffed us because maybe thot stache would not be a threat throwing. Maybe UT D is not so bad. Just me.

rainiersooner
10/17/2009, 06:34 PM
What was our O-Line roster? At one point with Williams out, it was:

Corey Brandon, Brody Eldridge, Ben Habern, Jarvis Jones (and who else?)....

Again, it's amazing we lost by only 3.

OUMallen
10/17/2009, 07:49 PM

You can't just NOT run. See generally: Tech's Big XII Trophy Case.

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2009, 07:56 PM
We are just not good at running this year and there is no way that is going to suddenly change against the best run defense we will face this year. Once Sam went down, UT could focus even more on stopping the run and dare Landry to beat them. We would have done the same thing if the situation was reversed. You can't question the play calling as there is no play in the book that is suddenly going to open holes for our O-line.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 08:11 PM
I know we ran like crap, but how many yards were lost on that kenney fumble? Or did that not have any meaning?

Pricetag
10/17/2009, 08:16 PM
Those passes to the backs in the flats were our best running plays all day. We need to develop a halfback pass off of that one.

JLEW1818
10/17/2009, 08:23 PM
Did the fumble play count for negative yards? I'm asking

Leroy Lizard
10/17/2009, 08:34 PM
Because this is the worst o-line OU has had in a very long time

I'm starting to think that the Stoops naysayers are right on one point -- we need to empty the bench more often when well ahead. I think too often we end up starting the season with inexperienced players at key positions.

Greco164318
10/17/2009, 08:42 PM
yeah it did it was a 19 yard loss, but still

Tulsa_Fireman
10/17/2009, 08:45 PM
Did the fumble play count for negative yards? I'm asking

No. But the sacks do.

On deep balls and checking down, you have to have time to do that. Bless his heart, Landry Jones has done us an amazing job at QB in Sam's stead. But you can tell he's a freshman one of a few ways.

One, watch his reads. He's not locking on receivers, but he's 2-3 seconds and longer in his primary look even on high percentage routes. Compare this to Sam, an unsung quality to our Heisman QB, and he's a half second to a second in the primary before his checkdown. Coverage alone tells him if the primary is there most of the time, and how it'll be open simply from set. This comes with experience and coaching, something Landry Jones will get plenty of and will execute well. But right now, he's just short of making the quick read from set, checking off from the break at the snap, and moving to the 2nd and 3rd look.

Secondly, pressure. Watch solid, experienced quarterbacks underpressure. Colt McCoy and Sam both are classic examples of where a QB's eyes are under pressure. Down the field, still in the check, but moving to space if it's available. Landry's eyes, as you can see numerous times in today's match-up move down to identify space as pressure comes. Receivers get lost. A QB has to reacquire the pattern, but with pressure already present, it's an issue of someone hopefully being open AND in his eyes when he brings it back upfield. Again, an issue of experience and coaching.

His release. It's a beauty, and he's got a helluva rope on him. But Landry also has a tendency to deliver the football with just that arm, even when he has time to set. That will get him places when he has to throw the football moving, but when you don't need to, you simply don't need to. Footwork is essential. Sam Bradford has BEAUTIFUL footwork, better than I can remember from a college QB in a long time. Again, this will come with coaching and time.

Oh yeah, and it helps to have someone that can catch the damn thing, too.

Greco164318
10/17/2009, 08:51 PM
OU would of won the game if they had last year's receivers. Not one receiver can make a play other than broyles.

Leroyt
10/17/2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah, it looked like on the interception at the 20 with 7:22 left, the receiver completely gave up and watched. Bad pass, no doubt, but you gotta help out the qb, especially when he's inexperienced. An offensive interference would have been preferable even.

Greco164318
10/17/2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, it looked like on the interception at the 20 with 7:22 left, the receiver completely gave up and watched. Bad pass, no doubt, but you gotta help out the qb, especially when he's inexperienced. An offensive interference would have been preferable even.
many dropped balls that would of set up points. Baylor was 11 drops

cvsooner
10/17/2009, 09:17 PM
That first oskie I think he was just trying to throw it away and didn't throw it far enough. Great play by the DB to make the catch too.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 09:19 PM
I don't really want to go the Cotton Bowl and play an SEC defense ..

you don't have a ton of confidence in kw's big10-style offensive schemes against an sec defense?