PDA

View Full Version : You're the best Kevin Wilson!

KC//CRIMSON
10/17/2009, 12:55 PM
Kevin Wilson thinks we're going to win 6-3.

KC//CRIMSON
10/17/2009, 01:04 PM
A reverse deep in our own end?

GENIUS!!

bluesmagoo
10/17/2009, 01:06 PM
Wilson is an idot. How else can we shoot ourselves in the foot?

goingoneight
10/17/2009, 01:06 PM
A fumble by someone not named Kevin Wilson?

mightysooner
10/17/2009, 01:07 PM
What happened to the screens that were working early in the game? It's like he finds something that works, and then crosses it off the play list.

KC//CRIMSON
10/17/2009, 01:09 PM
A fumble by someone not named Kevin Wilson?

You're funny, Kevin.

BetterSoonerThanLater
kw NEEDS TO GO BEG FOR FORGIVNESS FROM THE DEFENSE.

OUinFLA
What happened to the screens that were working early in the game? It's like he finds something that works, and then crosses it off the play list.

It's our version of "game-time adjustment"

Indy Sooner
10/17/2009, 01:16 PM
It's our version of "game-time adjustment"

How true. I fault Stoops, however... he's had plenty of time (measured in years, not months) to find a competent offensive coordinator. While Wilson is assuredly a great coach, his playcalling abilities have much to be desired-- even last year... when fortunately sheer on-field talent overcame his predictable, relatively generic scheme.

SoonerLB
10/17/2009, 01:45 PM
his playcalling abilities have much to be desired

That's the understatement of the century!

If him and Chuck Long were ever to face each other as head coaches, the game would be played on a 20 yard long field since most of the plays both love involve east-west rather than north-south football!

soonerhubs
10/17/2009, 01:55 PM
Did you see that picture of KW after the 2nd half?

http://www.smokingtree.net/images/waterboy4.jpg

TMcGee86
10/17/2009, 02:09 PM
yet another big game,

yet another 13 points.

And still, there will be those who blame the D when they give up a late score and we lose.

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 03:24 PM
How about we blame five turnovers and the fact we're fielding our JV as our starters? Neither Wilson or Venables has anything to be ashamed of today.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 03:26 PM
IMO you need to be able to run the ball to win big games. Even if the OL is weak how about some misdirection, counters, traps, etc? OU has 2-3 good RBs.

soonerspiff
10/17/2009, 03:28 PM
How about we blame five turnovers and the fact we're fielding our JV as our starters? Neither Wilson or Venables has anything to be ashamed of today.

This.

mightysooner
10/17/2009, 03:29 PM
IMO you need to be able to run the ball to win big games. Even if the OL is weak how about some misdirection, counters, traps, etc? OU has 2-3 good RBs.

Kinda what I wanna know. How many times did we hand Brown the ball in the backfield when it clearly wasn't working? We have NO misdirection, counters, or traps. It's just straight ahead unimaginative crap.

FaninAma
10/17/2009, 03:30 PM

Disagree.....strongly disagree.

OU has enough talent on the offensive side
of the ball to score more thn 13 points against
a strong defense.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/17/2009, 03:30 PM
Our playcalling is the definition of predictable. Running on first down, to set up 2nd and 12.

Brilliant.

We were the underdog. At least go down fighting...

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 03:32 PM

But if you CAN'T run the ball and keep getting stuffed...............just keep doing it over and over and over.................................

rawlingsHOH
10/17/2009, 03:34 PM
Though I thought we went to the run too often, too early.

You can't pin this one on Kevin Wilson.

KC//CRIMSON
10/17/2009, 03:36 PM

Colorado's OC scored 14 on Texas.

Louisiana Monroe's OC scored 20 on Texas.

Just saying.

FaninAma
Kinda what I wanna know. How many times did we hand Brown the ball in the backfield when it clearly wasn't working? We have NO misdirection, counters, or traps. It's just straight ahead unimaginative crap.

This.

Wilson never makes opposing defenses pay
for being overagressive.

It is so nice to have a Big 10 offense.

John Kochtoston
Disagree.....strongly disagree.

OU has enough talent on the offensive side
of the ball to score more thn 13 points against
a strong defense.

Not really. Besides, OU had more total yards and more yards per play than Texas did. Balance is a fine thing, but when the run isn't working, you throw the ball. Wilson did that.

mojorisen2014
Worst o-line in 20 years.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 03:37 PM
But if you CAN'T run the ball and keep getting stuffed...............just keep doing it over and over and over.................................

Thats what I mean ... you have to be able to gain yards on the ground, and not be predictable and one dimensional.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 03:41 PM
This.

Wilson never makes opposing defenses pay
for being overagressive.

It is so nice to have a Big 10 offense.

'cause we all know how well big 10 teams play in big games :rolleyes:

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 03:42 PM
Thats what I mean ... you have to be able to gain yards on the ground, and not be predictable and one dimensional.

I know. Sadly we have the most predictable OC in college football...................against good teams anyway.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 03:45 PM

... or slow-developing unimaginative crap, or just plain unimaginative crap.

UTSINCE96
Seriously? What more do you guys want from Wilson? Ya'll were more beat up that Sylvester Stallone at the end of a Rocky movie on offense and still managed to move the ball well against a very good defense. You sooners don't know how good you have it at OC.

Now Greg Davis...that is what you call a ****ty OC.

htownsooner7
This o-line is terrible. Our heisman qb has had his career ruined, and we can't run the ball.

GottaHavePride
10/17/2009, 03:46 PM

The problem is we use incredibly slowly-developing run plays. Wither the RB is standing still until he gets the ball or he spends most of his time going E/W. Whatever we do, our RBs need to be running downhill when they get the ball.

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 03:49 PM
Finesse ball gets stuffed against strong defenses everytime

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 03:49 PM
The problem is we use incredibly slowly-developing run plays. Wither the RB is standing still until he gets the ball or he spends most of his time going E/W. Whatever we do, our RBs need to be running downhill when they get the ball.

My point is.........what we are doing obviously doesn't work yet we do it over and over and we have done the same thing in every loss lately.

soonerinabilene
10/17/2009, 03:51 PM
The ONLY time we ran out of the I was on the 4th down that we didnt get. No sweeps, no misdirection, no option out of the shotgun like we did last week against Baylor, best play was a screen play that we ran TWICE for 83 yards.

KC//CRIMSON
10/17/2009, 03:51 PM
Nebraska is getting owned at home by a backup QB. Hmmmm.....

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 03:54 PM
The ONLY time we ran out of the I was on the 4th down that we didnt get. No sweeps, no misdirection, no option out of the shotgun like we did last week against Baylor, best play was a screen play that we ran TWICE for 83 yards.

I want our backup QB running the option with this line like I want Tebow to do well.

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 03:54 PM
My point is.........what we are doing obviously doesn't work yet we do it over and over and we have done the same thing in every loss lately.

NO ingame adjustments and shotty playcalling doomed us

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 03:55 PM

^^^ this ^^^ which also benefits the o-line since they can blow off the ball and not have to hold their blocks so long.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 03:56 PM
NO ingame adjustments and shotty playcalling doomed us

To be fair, lots of other stuff was involved in our being doomed.

FaninAma
10/17/2009, 03:58 PM
Though I thought we went to the run too often, too early.

You can't pin this one on Kevin Wilson.

No, according to some thecoaches should
never shoulder any of the blame.

Wilson lacks any ability to break down
what the opposing defense is doing and
then counteract it.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 04:03 PM
No, according to some thecoaches should
never shoulder any of the blame.

Wilson lacks any ability to break down
what the opposing defense is doing and
then counteract it.

^this^ and some think we should shoulder the blame for not being better fans :rolleyes:

soonerfan69
10/17/2009, 04:05 PM
To be fair, lots of other stuff was involved in our being doomed.

Yes but Texas made halftime adjustments that worked and OU didn't make any they kept running the same plays that were getting stuffed Wilson isn't a very good playcaller

prrriiide
10/17/2009, 04:06 PM

Post of the season so far.

Venables surprised the hell out of me today and showed that he can gameplan in big games to deny the short pass. Now I'll expect it all the time and be more than happy to point out this game when he falters.

Wilson has been hamstrung all season by an OL that could block someone if they weren't looking in their purses for their lipstick. Even TW has looked merely serviceable this season. He had a couple of BIG busts today that led to negative yardage plays. The receivers are finally coming around, but the QB (whomever it is) doesn't have time to get to the thrid checkdown before he's got a DL in his grill. I saw OL whiffing on run blocks all afternoon.

So just what is Wilson supposed to do against a talented, well-coached and disciplined defense like texass? You can run misdirection all you want, but a disciplined defense won't get burned enough times for it to be a difference maker. On top of that, for misdirection to work, you have to have disciplined and well-executed blocking schemes. OU has neither.

It all starts up front with the knuckle-draggers. Unfortunately for OU, that's also where it stopped today.

mightysooner
10/17/2009, 04:08 PM
Seriously? What more do you guys want from Wilson? Ya'll were more beat up that Sylvester Stallone at the end of a Rocky movie on offense and still managed to move the ball well against a very good defense. You sooners don't know how good you have it at OC.

Now Greg Davis...that is what you call a ****ty OC.

-Well...for starters I'd like an OC that has a game plan that exploits the defense he faces each and every week and creates personnel mismatches, not just a guy who has a dusty old playbook and runs the same plays against everybody week in and week out.
-I'd like to see a more diversified running attack that encompasses misdirections, sweeps, reverses, and traps instead of handing the ball off in a one back set all the time and running straight ahead into the pile, or trying to bounce an obviously slow Chris Brown to the outside when he clearly doesn't have the speed to beat anybody to the edge.
-I'd also like to see an OC that understands the benefits of play action to freeze the opposing defense.
-I'd also like to have an OC that has the game time astuteness to go after a backup on the opposing defense when he enters the game after one of their starters goes down.
-In closing......I'd also like too see an OC that comes out of halftime with a plan B, if plan A isn't working.

Did anybody see us do anything differently in the 2nd half on offense? Did everybody see Wilson call the halfback flat pass three plays in a row to Murray and just flip the side of the field it went to? I did. That's a guy who's grasping at straws. Greg Davis, for as crappy as he is, came out and did things different in the 2nd half and had success. Wilson did not.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 04:09 PM
Yes but Texas made halftime adjustments that worked and OU didn't make any they kept running the same plays that were getting stuffed Wilson isn't a very good playcaller

Oh I agree totally. I'm just saying injuries, penalties and turnovers kinda helped do us in too.

delhalew
10/17/2009, 04:19 PM
We lost today because of turnovers and the fact that the best block I saw today came from Brandon Caleb.

PS...I would like to see more surprises and different looks on offense. Did everyone forget we have a lot inexperience on our offense.

illinisooner
10/17/2009, 04:23 PM
You know, at least when we lose to Texas it's not by 40 points and we're actually in the game. Our last 3 losses to them have been due to turnovers (06, 09) despite gaining more yards and due to injuries. Fair play to them for capitalizing on them, but it's not like we're losing 63-14 or anything.

FaninAma
10/17/2009, 04:23 PM
Priiiiide.
Apparently you would rather blame
the players who are being expected
to run a system that is being exploited
by good defenses instead of expecting
the highly paid offensive coordinator for
this program to make some adjustments
to what theses defenses are doing.

Seems silly to blame the players when the
same things keep happening over and over
again. That's coaching .

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2009, 04:25 PM
quit blaming the injuries; if wilson is such a great coach, he should be able to find guys that can score 3 td's against a quality opponent; have we even changed the playbook since he came here?

mightysooner
10/17/2009, 04:27 PM
quit blaming the injuries; if wilson is such a great coach, he should be able to find guys that can score 3 td's against a quality opponent; have we even changed the playbook since he came here?

Yes. In his creative brilliance he decided to implement the meerkat offense in spite of having a Heisman winning QB under center. Go figure.....

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 04:27 PM
Priiiiide.
Apparently you would rather blame
the players who are being expected
to run a system that is being exploited
by good defenses instead of expecting
the highly paid offensive coordinator for
this program to make some adjustments
to what theses defenses are doing.

Seems silly to blame the players when the
same things keep happening over and over
again. That's coaching .

I've been saying the same thing for going on 4 years now. Some people just don't see it like we do.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 04:29 PM
Venables surprised the hell out of me today and showed that he can gameplan in big games to deny the short pass. Now I'll expect it all the time and be more than happy to point out this game when he falters.

Wilson has been hamstrung all season by an OL that could block someone if they weren't looking in their purses for their lipstick. Even TW has looked merely serviceable this season. He had a couple of BIG busts today that led to negative yardage plays. The receivers are finally coming around, but the QB (whomever it is) doesn't have time to get to the thrid checkdown before he's got a DL in his grill. I saw OL whiffing on run blocks all afternoon.

So just what is Wilson supposed to do against a talented, well-coached and disciplined defense like texass? You can run misdirection all you want, but a disciplined defense won't get burned enough times for it to be a difference maker. On top of that, for misdirection to work, you have to have disciplined and well-executed blocking schemes. OU has neither.

It all starts up front with the knuckle-draggers. Unfortunately for OU, that's also where it stopped today.

Contradictory post of the season. Aren't implementing disciplined and well-executed blocking schemes the responsibility of the coaching staff? And I agree that it all starts up front with the "knuckle-draggers" (your phrase not mine). So then why isn't a better o-line in place?

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 04:31 PM
I've been saying the same thing for going on 4 years now. Some people just don't see it like we do.

double that

TripleOption14
10/17/2009, 04:32 PM
Wilson cant make the O-line run block people!! You cant make chicken salad outta chicken sh!t!!! If anyone needs to be questioned on the coachng staff its J. Patton imo.

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 04:33 PM
Contradictory post of the season. Aren't implementing disciplined and well-executed blocking schemes the responsibility of the coaching staff? And I agree that it all starts up front with the "knuckle-draggers" (your phrase not mine). So then why isn't a better o-line in place?

I thought this was about Wilson's play calling today. The fact our O-line sucks is something directly attributable to Wilson.

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2009, 04:34 PM
wilson needs to figure out a scheme to work with what he has; that's what good coaches do

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 04:37 PM
wilson needs to figure out a scheme to work with what he has; that's what good coaches do

And today, he did that. Five turnovers weren't his fault.

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 04:39 PM
And to be completely fair, he's starting four new guys on the O-line. Good coaching takes time.

TripleOption14
10/17/2009, 04:39 PM
I foresee the coaching staff blowing the dust off the ol 2000 playbook for the rest of the year. Wr screens and shovel passes a plenty soon to come.

Johnny Utah
10/17/2009, 04:41 PM
And to be completely fair, he's starting four new guys on the O-line. Good coaching takes time.

Isn't Bama starting 3 new guys on the O-line?

mightysooner
10/17/2009, 04:44 PM
If he's such a good coach, why is he trying to run the exact same offense he ran last year with this questionable personnel? Let these guys get in the huddle and catch their breath. That's why we have so many stupid false start penalties. These guys aren't a good fit for the hurry up offense scheme. They don't have the personnel or the rythm as an offensive unit to be running that crap.

zman515
10/17/2009, 04:45 PM
And today, he did that. Five turnovers weren't his fault.

How can you say it worked when we only scored 13 points? We didn't pass well. We didn't run well. What exactly worked?

FaninAma
10/17/2009, 04:46 PM
Wilson cant make the O-line run block people!! You cant make chicken salad outta chicken sh!t!!! If anyone needs to be questioned on the coachng staff its J. Patton imo.

It's not the players that are chicken-****. It's the scheme
that can' t get better defense out of their aggressive pin
-their-ears back style of defense.

Florida and Texas did it to us last year. Did we have chicken ****
players on the OL then?

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 04:50 PM
You can catch your breath standing at the line just as easily as you can in the huddle. We run almost no quick snaps.

And do you really want the guys who redshirted last season to scrap what they learned and learn a whole new offense, while dealing with their introduction to college football?

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 04:55 PM
How can you say it worked when we only scored 13 points? We didn't pass well. We didn't run well. What exactly worked?

We had guys open, and Wilson was getting bad matchups against their linebackers (hence our 12 yards per catch average). When Jones wasn't running for his life or throwing into double-coverage, the plays were there.

And, none of this excuses Wilson's crappy play-calls against Florida or Miami. And, if folks want to blame him for the sieve that is our O-line, that is fair. But, today, he called a good enough game to beat a good defense.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:02 PM
We had guys open, and Wilson was getting bad matchups against their linebackers (hence our 12 yards per catch average). When Jones wasn't running for his life or throwing into double-coverage, the plays were there.

And, none of this excuses Wilson's crappy play-calls against Florida or Miami. And, if folks want to blame him for the sieve that is our O-line, that is fair. But, today, he called a good enough game to beat a good defense.

Yeah we're Sooner fans. We don't need great playcalling, or even better than average playcalling. "Good enough" playcalling from a guy making more $ than most people on this board will make in a lifetime is just fine. :rolleyes:

FaninAma
10/17/2009, 05:04 PM
Landry was not running for his life.

Everybody acts like Texas was in OU's
backfield at the snap of the ball.

The only thing that I will say in Wilson's
defense is that LJ is horrible at seeing
the open receiver.

sooner ngintunr
10/17/2009, 05:07 PM
are you really puttin today on KW? No way.

zman515
10/17/2009, 05:09 PM

How do you explain all of the runs out of the pistol that obviously weren't working?

How do you explain running a naked bootleg with an injured QB?

How do you explain never trying any kind of misdirection, playaction ,etc?

How do you explain not going downfield at all?

How do you explain running stretch plays all game with slow running backs?

How do you explain a play going 60 yards on the first drive of the game and not call it again until the fourth

How do you explain consistently rolling your right handed QB to the left to throw incomplete passes?

Wilson was horrible just like he is against every talented defense we play.

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah we're Sooner fans. We don't need great playcalling, or even better than average playcalling. "Good enough" playcalling from a guy making more $ than most people on this board will make in a lifetime is just fine. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right. We should expect perfection. In fact, Landry Jones should have lost his scholarship after his first incompletion against BYU. Hell, Sam's got no business on scholarship with all of his incompletions. And a team gets a first down? Fire Venables. OU has to punt? Wilson should be shot, then fired.

I've ripped Wilson for horrible games against Florida and Miami. I've ripped Venables for terrible games against just about anyone important. But not today. I'm OK with realizing Texas' 1st string is 3 points better than our second.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:10 PM
are you really puttin today on KW? No way.
No I'm not. There were so many things that went wrong today that no one thing can be blamed. But KW had is fair share.

Sooner4FCD
10/17/2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone who thinks KW is to blame for this loss tonight is blind.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:12 PM
4th and a long 1. We haven't gained an inch running up the middle all day. We run up the middle. NO GAIN. AGAIN. Who called that play?

zman515
10/17/2009, 05:13 PM
Anyone who thinks KW is to blame for this loss tonight is blind.

Why? isn't he in charge of the offense? How did the offense look to you?

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:14 PM
How do you explain all of the runs out of the pistol that obviously weren't working?

How do you explain running a naked bootleg with an injured QB?

How do you explain never trying any kind of misdirection, playaction ,etc?

How do you explain not going downfield at all?

How do you explain running stretch plays all game with slow running backs?

How do you explain a play going 60 yards on the first drive of the game and not call it again until the fourth

How do you explain consistently rolling your right handed QB to the left to throw incomplete passes?

Wilson was horrible just like he is against every talented defense we play.

KW. What do I win? :)

zman515
10/17/2009, 05:17 PM
4th and a long 1. We haven't gained an inch running up the middle all day. We run up the middle. NO GAIN. AGAIN. Who called that play?

And we ran it from under center where we are guaranteed to run. Might as well put 11 in the box because it is a sure thing.

John Kochtoston
10/17/2009, 05:17 PM

Like an offense with a backup TE, QB, four new linemen, and one that committed four turnovers (the other one goes to the special teams).

zman515
10/17/2009, 05:18 PM
KW. What do I win? :)

A trip to the weedeater bowl

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:18 PM
A trip to the weedeater bowl

:(

zman515
10/17/2009, 05:21 PM
Like an offense with a backup TE, QB, four new linemen, and one that committed four turnovers (the other one goes to the special teams).

Every team has injuries and new players. That doesn't mean you give up. Look at cincinnati earlier this week. They had a backup come in and they still let him throw deep. The coach made adjustments to fit that player and still allowed him to make plays. They didn't reign him in the way they do Landry.

FaninAma
10/17/2009, 05:22 PM
No I'm not. There were so many things that went wrong today that no one thing can be blamed. But KW had is fair share.

And anyone who doesn't think Wilson deserves a large
portion of the blame for the state of this offense is
acting retarded. If he doesn't share a major part of the
blame then let's just do away with the OC position
because apparently coaching, according to some,
has no bearing on how the offense does.

IronHorseSooner
10/17/2009, 05:23 PM
Isn't he supposed to be an OL specialist?

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:25 PM
I don't hate KW or want him fired. I just want him to quit being so predictible and conservative. He is like this in every game. You can be predictible and conservative against Idaho State or baylor when you have the talent OU has. You can't against texas, miami, byu, florida, usc.....etc.

Sooner4FCD
10/17/2009, 05:40 PM

So it was Kevin Wilson who muffed the punt and fumbled the kickoff and threw into double coverage?

Come on man, I think he was terrible in the Miami game, but I have no problem with the play calling today. You want him to not run, but when you give Landry Jones too much leeway he throws into double coverage. It's a lose-lose scenario.

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 05:43 PM
So it was Kevin Wilson who muffed the punt and fumbled the kickoff and threw into double coverage?

Come on man, I think he was terrible in the Miami game, but I have no problem with the play calling today. You want him to not run, but when you give Landry Jones too much leeway he throws into double coverage. It's a lose-lose scenario.

He wasn't terrible today but he wasn't great either. Like I've said many, many times he was predictible and conservative.

mehip
10/17/2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not feeling the love for coach Wilson myself. Also, our OL has got to have some type of collective strength. I'd love to see the coaches figure that out and attempt to exploit it. Right now, if they were even mediocre as a unit we'd be looking at a record quite a bit different.

okiewaker
10/17/2009, 06:04 PM
I wish the sumbee would stop calling the pick play, especially in the 4th qtr. Horrible play call!!!!

SOONER44EVER
10/17/2009, 06:06 PM
I wish the sumbee would quit throwing picks, especially in the 4th qtr. Horrible play call!!!!

Great post.

Dio
10/17/2009, 06:51 PM
I don't hate KW or want him fired. I just want him to quit being so predictible and conservative. He is like this in every game. You can be predictible and conservative against Idaho State or baylor when you have the talent OU has. You can't against texas, miami, byu, florida, usc.....etc.

this

picasso
10/17/2009, 07:06 PM
My biggest beef is we didn't try to get the ball to Broyles more. Screw the deep ball, just get some underneath stuff to him or a spot pass.
The TD play was an obvious example.

Very frustrating.

FriscoTXsooner
10/17/2009, 07:33 PM
I understand trying to find an offense that can be used with a young offensive line and QB, but running the ball for negative yards, instead of what was successful in the first half, is pretty bad. We were using Demarco Murray and Chris Brown out of the backfield to some success, and then we go the conservative route. this may **** off other teams, but why not just keep momentum and keep scoring? Last year KW would suddenly go concervative and we would suddenly be behind the power curve. If we score 60 or 70 points a game, so be it. That goes for our defense as well, the first half of the game we were pressuring their QB, and had great success. When we came out in the second half, pressure was gone.

Now we're 3-3, and if something doesn't change we could very well drop 2 more. Time for a change?

sooneron
10/17/2009, 08:04 PM
Come on man, I think he was terrible in the Miami game, but I have no problem with the play calling today.

SERIOUSLY? You thought the reverse when we were on our own 8 yd line was bright? The first 4&1 call should have been Landry keeping it, instead we go with the same hb dive that they were sniffing out all day. I could go on... There were AT LEAST a dozen head scratchers out there today.

No problem?

Seriously?:confused: :rolleyes:

SOONER44EVER
10/18/2009, 12:22 AM
SERIOUSLY? You thought the reverse when we were on our own 8 yd line was bright? The first 4&1 call should have been Landry keeping it, instead we go with the same hb dive that they were sniffing out all day. I could go on... There were AT LEAST a dozen head scratchers out there today.

No problem?

Some people on here never want to put any blame on the coaches. It seems like they're always quick to give them credit for a win though.

soonerhubs
10/18/2009, 01:01 AM
I love when we fake that the QB is going to run instead of the running back. I fall for it every time. It's like the ultimate in trickeration. ;)

SOONER44EVER
10/18/2009, 01:03 AM
I love when we fake that the QB is going to run instead of the running back. I fall for it every time. It's like the ultimate in trickeration. ;)

Heh!

rawlingsHOH
10/18/2009, 02:28 AM

No problem?

That was a pretty long 4th-and-1 for a QB sneak. The one they converted was 4th-and-inches.

I agree, I didn't like the reverse call, but simply because who it was going to.

pappy
10/18/2009, 04:23 AM
KW is a great OC verse weak competition...KW goes into the fetal position and cries himself to sleep, while sucking his thumb against good teams.

the_sooners_abide
10/18/2009, 07:25 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but right now, Landry isn't the second coming of Josh/Jason/Sam. He's a freshman, and not very good. Ditto our receivers/line/TEs. What Sam accomplished as a freshman wasn't the norm. You can't stretch the field against a team as good as the horns if you don't have the players to execute it. However, these young guys are getting valuable playing time and have lots to build on for 2010. Boomer!

sooner ngintunr
10/18/2009, 08:38 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but right now, Landry isn't the second coming of Josh/Jason/Sam. He's a freshman, and not very good.

Not very good? You're high.

jumperstop
10/18/2009, 10:29 AM

This, I knew I should have stayed away from this thread. I could see yalls complaints in the BYU and UM games, but I feel like they coached a pretty good game over all considering what they got.

MALE918
10/18/2009, 01:09 PM

Very astute statement. The D-lines looked the same in that game - very aggressive. Texas handled it with misdirection and their version of the triple option. I call it that because i don't know what else to call it. when they started running that with misdirection our defense looked hesitant. Not blaming the D just making an observation. I thought the D played great, I just wish they would have kept with the late shifting in the second half but I doubt it would have made much difference considering how we kept laying the ball on the ground.

MALE918
10/18/2009, 01:24 PM
Worst o-line in 20 years.

I agree, but Jones was scrambling before he had to also. The run blocking has alot to be desired or maybe just needs more creativity in the run selection. I don't know. Maybe both.
I hope the game slows down for jones soon.

MALE918
10/18/2009, 01:32 PM
It's partly the plays you call but also when you call them. KW isn't very good at that but our o-line couldn't fall on their own shadows either. Sooooooooo, idk

gowrong15
10/18/2009, 01:51 PM
I just know that kevin wilson had plenty of opportunities to win the game, but once again his conservative play calling cost another game. I dont know what goes through his mind but calling the same play, that hasnt worked the entire game, over and over, is just another reason why OU should look for another o. coord.

Indy Sooner
10/18/2009, 02:00 PM

But this is a program which consistently finishes in the recruiting Top-10 year after year. It's not as if Div. 1-AA players are being trotted out there. Plus, the season is halfway over... things aren't so "new" at this point.

Quit defending a very overrated "offensive mind".

stoopified
10/18/2009, 02:16 PM
To ANYONE who genuinely feels Kevin Wilson is the reason for our offensive woes and not injuries to Broyles,Bradford,Gresham,as well as an inexperienced offensive line I have a suggestion.

Tuesday night between 7PM-8PM Bob has a call-in show.The phone number is 1-877-600-6432. Tell him that Kevin Wilson is inept and why.Tell him that based on your vast experience coaching in the NFL,major college football,high school football,youth football or whatever that you know better than he.Bob is a smart guy I am sure he will accept your counsel gratefully. Again that number is 1-877-600-6432.

Anyone who is certain of themselves as some of the people in this thread seem to be should be overjoyed to offer Bob advice.

KC//CRIMSON
10/18/2009, 03:10 PM
Hello Bob, this is Stoopified. Why does KW suck at the fooseball?

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2009, 04:38 PM
To ANYONE who genuinely feels Kevin Wilson is the reason for our offensive woes and not injuries to Broyles,Bradford,Gresham,as well as an inexperienced offensive line I have a suggestion.

Tuesday night between 7PM-8PM Bob has a call-in show.The phone number is 1-877-600-6432. Tell him that Kevin Wilson is inept and why.Tell him that based on your vast experience coaching in the NFL,major college football,high school football,youth football or whatever that you know better than he.Bob is a smart guy I am sure he will accept your counsel gratefully. Again that number is 1-877-600-6432.

Anyone who is certain of themselves as some of the people in this thread seem to be should be overjoyed to offer Bob advice.

Quit using the damn injuries as an excuse; do we only give scholarships to the starters? I refuse to believe that a program like OU doesn't have capable backups in place to execute

Johnny Utah
10/18/2009, 05:01 PM
Quit using the damn injuries as an excuse; do we only give scholarships to the starters? I refuse to believe that a program like OU doesn't have capable backups in place to execute

... as well as using the "inexperienced offensive line" excuse ... isn't Bama starting 3 new o-linemen? Was it a surprise that 4 of OU's o-linemen from last season weren't returning?

westbrooke
10/18/2009, 06:53 PM
Some interesting things I've seen in this thread:

Some are pissed that we all we did is run up the middle; some are pissed that we tried reverses and to push Chris Brown outside. Some bemoan the state of the offensive line; some wish we had run more traps and counters that require skilled offensive linemen to pull and execute more complicated blocking schemes than we're currently capable of. Some people demand to know why we don't throw the ball downfield; some people agonize over the fact that Landry didn't check down on the long interceptions. Some people are on both sides of these arguments.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

We have an offensive line that can't block. I don't know who to blame for that, but given that this line is filled with coveted recruits and our coaches have proven in the past that they can put together a good line, I prefer to think this is a symptom of inexperience and it will improve over time.

Because of this line, we can't run up the middle because there are no lanes, we can't run misdirection like traps and counters because the linemen aren't yet good enough to pull and execute sophisticated schemes like this, and we can't run sweeps with anyone but Murray because he's the only one who can get to the corner.

Also, because of this line, we can't consistently hold a block for lengthy passing schemes to work. When we do hold a block, our receivers have dropped the ball. The receivers were better about holding onto the ball in this game, but Broyles is the only game changer we have out there right now.

And guess what? Jones is a redshirt freshman and he can't check down his receivers. Neither could Bradford when he was a freshman. Do you really remember those games? Yes, we lit up Miami in one of his first games, but Miami sucked then, we had much superior receiving talent getting open for him, and Bradford locked on one receiver from the moment the ball was snapped. He could get away with it under those circumstances. And he got better. So will Jones. In our previous losses, he got nervous when his first read wasn't there, and he looked for an easy outlet underneath, making it look like the offense was more conservative than it was. I'm glad he kept throwing the ball downfield in this game; it's the only way he's going to learn.

People say to stop blaming the line, as if the answer lies entirely elsewhere. People say to stop blaming the injuries, as if missing a Heisman winning QB, an all-world tight end, our best receiver, and missed time along an already thin and inexperienced line are beasts that can be subdued with the silver bullet of recruiting. The coaching could be better. The players could be better. The luck could be better. And, oh yeah, we still only lost by 3 points to the #3 team in the country with a legitimately badass defense. I wish we'd won, but with so many things stacked against us right now I'm proud we played as well as we did.