PDA

View Full Version : Any Photography People Here?

MR2-Sooner86
10/16/2009, 09:31 PM
I'm just curious how many photographers (professional/amateur/hobby) we have here? Do you use digital or you old school and still stick with film? Either way, what type of cameras do you use? Do you stick with a certain brand? Are there certain brands you find better than the other?

My film camera is a Minolta SRT-102. My digital is a Canon XSi. Love both although I very rarely break out the Minolta but I do from time to time.

One thing I've noticed though, in my photography classes, nearly everybody has a Nikon yet the professor who teaches it, has a masters in photography, and is a professional, uses a Canon. What is the big deal about Nikon? My Canon has some of the same stats as a lot of the Nikons being used but I paid MUCH less than they did. So, what's so special about them?

GottaHavePride
10/16/2009, 09:36 PM
Man, the Nikon / Canon thing is like the Mac / PC thing. Don't get a photography junkie started. I made that mistake once.

Petro-Sooner
10/16/2009, 09:45 PM
I dabble from time to time in black and white photos of geologic formations. Just use a simple point and shoot digital camera. Couldnt say what brand it is off the top of my head. As of yet I havnt had them developed and blown up so I cant say what quality they are. One of these days I'd like to get into it a little more.

MR2-Sooner86
10/16/2009, 09:48 PM
Man, the Nikon / Canon thing is like the Mac / PC thing. Don't get a photography junkie started. I made that mistake once.

Well I'd love to see a good Nikon/Canon debate so I'll make the mistake.

Anyway, I'm curious because both are the best cameras in the business. I've heard great things about Nikons but I'm curious why there's such a gap between them and Canons when it comes to price. Maybe there's something I don't know about?

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2009, 09:53 PM
I have a Canon XTi that I love. I came close to buying a Nikon at the time, because my dad was a big photography nut in HS and college and always used a Nikon and considered any other brand to be tantamount to horse ****. However, I love this damned Canon. It's absolutely fantastic and it's compatible with a wide range of Canon lenses going all the way back to their film SLRs. There are also a lot of 3rd party lenses and accessories.

I can't say the Canon is better than the Nikon because I've never used a Nikon DSLR, but I do know my Canon is a fantastic camera for my very amateur/hobby needs.

Curly Bill
10/16/2009, 09:53 PM
Minolta Maxxum 5.

I should prolly get a digital camera, but haven't taken the plunge. Of course I don't take many pictures anymore so that's largely why I haven't.

MR2-Sooner86
10/16/2009, 10:01 PM
I have a Canon XTi that I love.

My XSi is nearly exactly like the XTi except with the screen and a couple of settings. They're great cameras and you can do nearly anything with them. In fact I knew a girl who is a wedding photographer and she uses a XTi.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2009, 10:24 PM
My XSi is nearly exactly like the XTi except with the screen and a couple of settings. They're great cameras and you can do nearly anything with them. In fact I knew a girl who is a wedding photographer and she uses a XTi.

It fits my needs perfectly. I'm not a professional photographer, but I wanted an SLR to really learn something about photography and take the sorts of pictures that are harder to do with a point and shoot. I don't need a $2,000 camera, and the XTi seems capable of making such terrific and professional photos.

I'm really happy with it.