PDA

View Full Version : goingoneight's OU/TX breakdown:

goingoneight
10/16/2009, 08:35 PM
We're going to play the "ifs and buts" game...

Baylor and Colorado are = teh succ. Both OU and UT looked quite pedestrain against these two. Does it matter who is better between BU and CU? Not really, IMO. Last year's OU team, which was championship-caliber, and even last year's Tejas team destroyed teams like those. So basically, something ain't right with either team... yet. Long season of hard work and improvement to go.

But alas, we go to the favorite. Why are they favored? Because they're #3 in the country? Because they're 5-0? IMO, the line is about right... and could be ugly should we show up all penalty-prone and stone-handed again.

5-0 and 3-2 is what it really comes down to.

Let's trade schedules... both teams proved against the weaklings like ULM and Idaho State that they're still a cut above being in a very down year.

But 3-2 and 5-0 seems simple. The whorn mentality is their 5-0 team would beat any sucker out there right now. Maybe they're right? How good is UT when say, they have to deal with what we have to deal with?

I'm not going to go and say hypothetically speaking, their receivers stink it up or their line jumps off-sides all the time. Their WR corps and OL looks decent.

We lost Sam, Gresham and Broyles when we critically needed their services to OUr squad. It's ludicrous to say Sam Bradford doesn't equate to 2 more points to at least force overtime in OUr two losses.

The "what if" here is this: IF Texas played at Miami, without their top three players on offense, what happens to Texas? No Colt (Sam), no Shipley (Broyles) and for argument's sake we'll call Buckner-- Gresham (in Buckner's dreams), but no Heisman candidate QB, no superstar slot receiver, no matchup problem tight end.

What, does Texas's All-World running game save the day?

The bottom line is this is going to come down to whichever team limits mistakes the best IMO. A bunch of mistakes versus a clean game by your opponent and this game is a cakewalk for either team.

Perceived advantages:

UT DL > OU OL

UT WR corps vs OU coverage = wash IMO... it's more about how much time and comfort in the pocket Colt has than it is speed or athletic matchups.

Colt vs OU defense... until proven wrong, you have to give Colt the edge.

UT ground game <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OU front seven IMO... they'll figure out very soon that the game is Colt's to win or lose.

OU ground game vs UT defense I give OU a slight edge because of the extra options KW has shown to run the ball this year... options and direct snaps, etc. DeMarco is just a playmaker and if given the right oppurtunity he's gonna do just that. CB is serviceable in pass-blocking and short-yardage situations until the guys get better in front of him IMO.

Sam vs UT defense... give Sam an edge. Rarely does he make those mistakes you just roll your eyes about and he's damn accurate. Guys need to catch what he places on their hands. Plain and simple.

ousooners182
10/16/2009, 08:44 PM
Good breakdown hopefully we dont have 10 + drops.

Okie35
10/16/2009, 08:55 PM
Good post and if Texas played @ Miami w/o their top 3 players on offense they would've got MASSACRED.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/16/2009, 09:07 PM
I think if we play mistake free (lead or tie in the turnover margin, few penalties, keep the drops somewhat reasonable) football, we should win in a close game. I think if we continue to make those mistakes and our defense can't mix it up or find answers like they always seem to do, we're toast.

It is obvious that we have not played to our potential yet, due to injuries and other problems. But has Texas?

Boooom!
10/16/2009, 09:37 PM
We're going to play the "ifs and buts" game...

Baylor and Colorado are = teh succ. Both OU and UT looked quite pedestrain against these two. Does it matter who is better between BU and CU? Not really, IMO. Last year's OU team, which was championship-caliber, and even last year's Tejas team destroyed teams like those. So basically, something ain't right with either team... yet. Long season of hard work and improvement to go.

But alas, we go to the favorite. Why are they favored? Because they're #3 in the country? Because they're 5-0? IMO, the line is about right... and could be ugly should we show up all penalty-prone and stone-handed again.

5-0 and 3-2 is what it really comes down to.

Let's trade schedules... both teams proved against the weaklings like ULM and Idaho State that they're still a cut above being in a very down year.

But 3-2 and 5-0 seems simple. The whorn mentality is their 5-0 team would beat any sucker out there right now. Maybe they're right? How good is UT when say, they have to deal with what we have to deal with?

I'm not going to go and say hypothetically speaking, their receivers stink it up or their line jumps off-sides all the time. Their WR corps and OL looks decent.

We lost Sam, Gresham and Broyles when we critically needed their services to OUr squad. It's ludicrous to say Sam Bradford doesn't equate to 2 more points to at least force overtime in OUr two losses.

The "what if" here is this: IF Texas played at Miami, without their top three players on offense, what happens to Texas? No Colt (Sam), no Shipley (Broyles) and for argument's sake we'll call Buckner-- Gresham (in Buckner's dreams), but no Heisman candidate QB, no superstar slot receiver, no matchup problem tight end.

What, does Texas's All-World running game save the day?

The bottom line is this is going to come down to whichever team limits mistakes the best IMO. A bunch of mistakes versus a clean game by your opponent and this game is a cakewalk for either team.

Perceived advantages:

UT DL > OU OL

UT WR corps vs OU coverage = wash IMO... it's more about how much time and comfort in the pocket Colt has than it is speed or athletic matchups.

Colt vs OU defense... until proven wrong, you have to give Colt the edge.

UT ground game <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OU front seven IMO... they'll figure out very soon that the game is Colt's to win or lose.

OU ground game vs UT defense I give OU a slight edge because of the extra options KW has shown to run the ball this year... options and direct snaps, etc. DeMarco is just a playmaker and if given the right oppurtunity he's gonna do just that. CB is serviceable in pass-blocking and short-yardage situations until the guys get better in front of him IMO.

Sam vs UT defense... give Sam an edge. Rarely does he make those mistakes you just roll your eyes about and he's damn accurate. Guys need to catch what he places on their hands. Plain and simple.

Good work-thru. I have to agree with most of everything you said here... sounds like you have been paying attention.

I have a little bit different assessment however...

OU Weaknesses (at start of season):
a. Offensive Live - They were just not accustomed to what the opposing D's were hitting them with. There was just not enough time and experience to prepare for so many defensive maneuvers. More to the point are those teams that are better then average. I know we are not ready to accept this, but BYU and Miami are better then average teams. And if they had half the recruits we do, under their coaching staffs, both would be national championship caliber teams. Whats even more impressive is that they are doing as good as they are with what they have..... kinda like a certain team in 2000..

b. Receivers: Either wrong route, or dropped ball. Fix either of those to 80% or better and you have a pretty good receiving team. But with both of those issues at 60%, you've got trouble. Stache is good, but how many times during the Baylor game did Sam start shaking his head the second the ball came off his fingers? As good and experienced as he is I am sure he was looking at the receivers run their routes thinking "WTF??". Then he finally gets one on the right route.. and he drops the balls. Last week was the first time I had ever seen Sam so frustrated. At least three times Sam looked over at the coaches as if to say "Are they on drugs or something??".

Our receivers, less a couple that started to show up at half time last week, are just not calibrated with the game of football ATM. They are GOOD, but there seems to be a certain pace and rhythm they cant get in sync with.

Catching a ball is a motor skill....something most could do falling off a bridge backwards, head-first, at a 45 degree angle... that is, if there head wasnt distracted about the fall itself.

c. Quarterback: Stache... I look forward to seeing him come into his own next year, with a team of receivers developed(ing) around him. I think he has great mojo and the receivers tend to do better with him. I dont know for sure, but I think its because the receivers know that Stache is just has bum-fuzzled as they are... in other words, all are in the same boat together. The R's dont tend to feel the pressure to preform with a NFL quality QB (it's not in their heads)... but with Stache they can just play ball.

OUr Strengths:
a. Defense - Brent has them ready to compete ever game. 5 games at allowing 35 points? This isnt a defensive problem. There are two sides to the ball.

b. Quarterback - Unfortunately I am not certain that Sam will have time this year to raise these receivers. He lucked into a nice mojo the last couple of years. Now he has to be the leader on the offense. We'll have to see if the R's come around to his way of thinking. However, Sam is beyond the college game now...and thats a fact.

We will win this game if we either: lead by 14 or more at half; or are down by 3-7 points at the half. The OU teams on the field at mid second quarter will decide this game - we will know if we will win mid second quarter.

We will loose if we are ahead by 3-7 going into the half.