PDA

View Full Version : Is the Cotton Bowl a good neutral site?

Statalyzer
10/16/2009, 05:51 PM
I think most Texas and Oklahoma fans are in favor of keeping the game where it is. But I do occasionally hear (even sometimes among those who admit the game is better off in Dallas b/c of tradition) from Texas fans "It's not really neutral - the Sooners have an advantage because their fans get the tunnel", or from Oklahoma fans "It's not really neutral - the Longhorns have an advantage because the Cotton Bowl is in Texas."

What's your point of view on this?

Texas
10/16/2009, 05:54 PM
Stat why do you not post at shaggybevo?

HF sucks, in case you have not noticed. :texan:

okiewaker
10/16/2009, 06:25 PM
I think they both blow hard equally, but thats just me.

SoonerDood
10/16/2009, 06:41 PM
how big of an advantage is the tunnel anymore? Since Mack & Co. started whining about how "those mean Okies yell at us" there's been a covering over the whole thing.

sendbaht
10/16/2009, 07:29 PM
I saw play it home to home each year. Or in Hawaii then the game would for sure be nutural and it would be much closer to be too.:)

okiewaker
10/16/2009, 07:34 PM
I saw play it home to home each year. Or in Hawaii then the game would for sure be nutural and it would be much closer to be too.:)

If not the Cotton, I say hawaii too. Although, I would never be able to make it.:mad: To Hawaii that is. :)

pac10SUX
10/16/2009, 07:45 PM
Alternate neutral sites, Dallas & OKC. Seems fair!

TXBOOMER
10/16/2009, 07:49 PM
I hate the entire State so I'd say no.

pac10SUX
10/16/2009, 07:51 PM
So just have the yearly neutral site in OKC. I'm good with that.

pilobolus
10/16/2009, 07:53 PM
Dallas is in Texas. We need the game in Norman every other year so we can stone the whorns like we did Tech last year.

JLEW1818
10/16/2009, 08:04 PM
yes it is

(please give me a better one? besides, home and home?)

OU and UT have each "had their way"

GottaHavePride
10/16/2009, 08:24 PM
OU fans get the south side, farther away from our campus. Texas fans get the north side, farther from THEIR campus. It's even. The tunnel means we have fewer fans on our end of the stadium.

Gresho Murford
10/16/2009, 09:19 PM
its a great neutral site. and the home team as the choice of what side they want

salth2o
10/16/2009, 09:31 PM
I think they both blow each other hard equally, but thats just me.

Jordan and Colt?

okiewaker
10/16/2009, 09:48 PM
Jordan and Colt?

HF and Shaggybevo.

okiewaker
10/16/2009, 09:53 PM
Jordan and Colt?

Both are Dirt Devils. :D

Sonner magic923
10/16/2009, 09:58 PM
ya it needs to stay where its at but i wouldnt be aposed to moving it to lake texoma:D

okiewaker
10/16/2009, 10:04 PM
ya it needs to stay where its at but i wouldnt be aposed to moving it to lake texoma:D

Is the island big enough?

ouduckhunter
10/16/2009, 10:29 PM

I'm good with that!

MamaMia
10/16/2009, 10:35 PM
I think most Texas and Oklahoma fans are in favor of keeping the game where it is. But I do occasionally hear (even sometimes among those who admit the game is better off in Dallas b/c of tradition) from Texas fans "It's not really neutral - the Sooners have an advantage because their fans get the tunnel", or from Oklahoma fans "It's not really neutral - the Longhorns have an advantage because the Cotton Bowl is in Texas."

What's your point of view on this? We don't care whether we have the tunnel side or not. Take it. We double dog dare ya.

stoopified
10/16/2009, 10:36 PM
Get Tulsa to increase Chapman Stadium to 92,000 seats and rotate between Dallas and Tulsa.The alternative is build a 92,000 seat stadium in OKC.

GKeeper316
10/16/2009, 10:36 PM
while you really cant deny the atmosphere in a city like dallas with the texas state fair goin on, it still really really pisses me off that all that money goes into texas. oklahomans spend a ton o cash down there every year that just feeds tax money into dallas.

congratulations sooner fans. all the money you've spent in dallas every year since... what was it 1929(?) has helped build the city of dallas into what it is today. not to mention the tattoos we all got down there.

and the clubhouse. they've gotten tons o cash outta me. an all nude strip club owned by pantera in dallas? that aint even fair, yo.

Statalyzer
10/17/2009, 02:42 AM
We don't care whether we have the tunnel side or not. Take it. We double dog dare ya.

Oh, I don't care either, I was just mentioning the arguments I've heard from "some" on both sides.

while you really cant deny the atmosphere in a city like dallas with the texas state fair goin on, it still really really pisses me off that all that money goes into texas. oklahomans spend a ton o cash down there every year that just feeds tax money into dallas.

But does it affect the football game?

Flagstaffsooner
10/17/2009, 04:01 AM
Ardmore

yermom
10/17/2009, 06:44 AM
argue state level economics all you want, the game is perfect where it is.

it's a bowl game in the middle of the year, and it's awesome

i'd die a little inside if it went home and home

PLaw
10/17/2009, 07:11 AM
Neutral site? Neutral site? HELL NO. Until we move the state line to the Brazos, it's still in the City of Dallas, in Dallas County, and in Texas. Those texans must think we're the biggest bunch of suckers by giving us half of the tickets to come South and pump up the Dallas economy every year. If the city of Dallas wanted to send all of the sales tax revenue from the weekend to Oklahoma when OU is the home team, then that would help start leveling the playing field. But, that ain't gonna happen. It's all about the $$'s and we just keep giving it to them. Best format would be Norman - Jerry World - Austin - Jerry World - Norman, etc.

That whole state fair stuff has become such a joke and the cotton bowl is a toilet bowl. I mean really - do you feel safe when you're getting into South Dallas? Better not park in the wrong place or get lost.

BOOMER

Sooner70
10/17/2009, 07:23 AM
Yes. Stadium is split down the middle. It's a great venue. Nothing like it anywhere in the US with the Fair & all. I hope it never changes sites. Cotton Bowl spent a bunch of $$ upgrading the place and it ain't half bad. Scoreboard is nice & facilities much better than few years back. I've got my favorite parking place in relatively close walking distance (& I don't have to pay), and I feel comfortable. Not a problem.

Aside from all that, I think having this game in the Cotton Bowl is a great recruiting tool for OU in Texas, a goldmine for good HS players, esp. Dallas area.

unbiasedtruth
10/17/2009, 08:05 AM
As much as some posters gripe about how much money Sooner fans contribute to the Dallas economy and state economy, the City of Dallas pays $850,000.00 dollars to the Cotton Bowl to help with the costs of the game. Sure the city makes money off the taxes on hotel and food, souviners, but they put a nice bit of coin in to keeping the game in Dallas. I read today that each school will split roughly 10 million dollars from the game being played in the Cotton Bowl. If played in Norman about 4 million is generated, played in Austin 6 million generated and thats before splitting the proceeds.

Is it a neutral site? yes. a neutral game? oh hell no.... not as long as the refs come out of Austin and other Texas cities in the officiating crew.....

do I want it moved to Jerryworld? no way in heck. Jerryworld is by far one of the worse stadiums to watch a sporting event i.e.. football game (i attended OU/BYU) in I have ever been in. Nice facilities, clean and such, but no scoreboard, the jumbotron that sucks you in to watching it.... terrible, just terrible.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2009, 08:59 AM
Stat why do you not post at shaggybevo?

HF sucks, in case you have not noticed. :texan:This is the correct answer.

10/17/2009, 09:00 AM
I saw play it home to home each year. Or in Hawaii then the game would for sure be nutural and it would be much closer to be too.:)Wait, best answer I have ever heard on this question.

StoopTroup
10/17/2009, 09:15 AM
When they covered the Tunnel and quit letting us blast the whorn players as they came through...they changed the atmosphere IMO. We used to be able to hang over the back and yell at Simms or whoever was next on the sack list...

Now you can't even tell when they are coming out of the locker-room.

It's all because the ****ing whorns cried like a baby too. They just had to have things their way again. I hate caving into them. The Big XII pushed us into it...the Cotton Bowl committee was pushed into fixing the Stadium too or the whorns weren't going to agree to have the games there anymore. It's all changed because of the whorns. I'm glad there are more tickets...but they should open the tunnel so we can lean over and yell TUCK FEXAS at them every year.

TUCK FEXAS ! ! !

pilobolus
10/18/2009, 07:25 PM
As long as Dallas is in Texas it cannot be considered a neutral site.

silverwheels
10/18/2009, 07:37 PM
Best format would be Norman - Jerry World - Austin - Jerry World - Norman, etc.

No. Cotton Bowl or home-and-home. Cowboys Stadium shouldn't even be an option.

Jdog
10/18/2009, 07:50 PM
Yes. Stadium is split down the middle. It's a great venue. Nothing like it anywhere in the US with the Fair & all. I hope it never changes sites. Cotton Bowl spent a bunch of $$ upgrading the place and it ain't half bad. Scoreboard is nice & facilities much better than few years back. I've got my favorite parking place in relatively close walking distance (& I don't have to pay), and I feel comfortable. Not a problem.

Aside from all that, I think having this game in the Cotton Bowl is a great recruiting tool for OU in Texas, a goldmine for good HS players, esp. Dallas area.

I think its the greatest college football event out side of the Rose Bowl. But it still sucks that its in Texas every year. I don't know about anyone else thats been to the last couple of games, since the expansion, but I've had a lot more Texas fan setting around me then before.

Jdog
10/18/2009, 07:56 PM
Is the fricking BcS every played at a neutral site?
FSU - Miami
LSU - New Orleans
FU - Miami
not USUC - FLA was a neutral site.

Soonerus
10/18/2009, 07:57 PM
I think its the greatest college football event out side of the Rose Bowl. But it still sucks that its in Texas every year. I don't know about anyone else thats been to the last couple of games, since the expansion, but I've had a lot more Texas fan setting around me then before.

It is better than the Rose Bowl, are you kidding me, the Rose Bowl is like a glorified Taft Stadium...

soon3rfan
10/18/2009, 08:04 PM
I think it should stay where it is, you dont want to mess with tradition. If we were winning no one would care.

Soonerus
10/18/2009, 08:06 PM
I think it should stay where it is, you dont want to mess with tradition. If we were winning no one would care.

Exactly...

Southeast Sooner
10/18/2009, 09:26 PM

I agree. This was my first year to attend since the expansion. I was really suprised to see the number of Texas fans in the OU section. Those seats should have had OU fans in them. Not really neutral in my opinion, but the atmosphere is awesome.

josh09
10/18/2009, 09:34 PM

What's your point of view on this?

I was thinking about this a lot on Sat. As I walked around before the game, I noticed lots of bias throughout the fair. Maybe I just happened to be walking in the wrong areas, but I was on the OU side most of the time. There was a girl singing, who kept yelling "Hook em" and starting the texas fight chant, most of the workers and vendors seemed to be wearing pro-longhorn apparel, and many other little things that annoyed me. I've been to 5 of these games, and I've never noticed it that bad.

OUstud
10/18/2009, 10:58 PM
No. Cotton Bowl or home-and-home. Cowboys Stadium shouldn't even be an option.

Something about ultra-clean, modern football stadiums doesn't do it for me. Crowd's too removed from the action (taller sideline walls, shallower seating angles), etc. Cotton Bowl all the way. Why mess with a good thing? And you can't get much closer than 190 miles from Norman, 197 from Austin.

soonervegas
10/18/2009, 11:06 PM
I am 6-5 watching the game live and since I have been alive the number is like 16-17-3. Seems pretty neutral.

10/18/2009, 11:12 PM
I was thinking about this a lot on Sat. As I walked around before the game, I noticed lots of bias throughout the fair. Maybe I just happened to be walking in the wrong areas, but I was on the OU side most of the time. There was a girl singing, who kept yelling "Hook em" and starting the texas fight chant, most of the workers and vendors seemed to be wearing pro-longhorn apparel, and many other little things that annoyed me. I've been to 5 of these games, and I've never noticed it that bad.It's always been that way. When I lived in Dallas '71-78, I always wanted the series to go home and home. The only thing neutral about the situation is the distance between the 2 campi. The media is all pro tx, and I imagine now that tx has our number, more of their fans are wanting to see the game in person. I think the officiating has always been dishonest at the game. We have to really dominate them to pull it off. Not a good situation for OU.