PDA

View Full Version : Game on the line--O or D?

BermudaSooner
10/15/2009, 07:21 PM
I was trying to remember the last time OU's Offense or Defense needed to score late or stop an opponent's attempt to score to win a game and I couldn't remember--Holiday bowl?

I also this this game will be close, coming down to a last possession. Let's say it is 31-27, 3:00 to go. The team with the ball has 1st and 10, their own 30 yard line and is behind 27-31. Would you rather be the offense, down 4 with a chance to drive the field and win, or the D with the lead that needs a stop?

VA Sooner
10/15/2009, 08:00 PM
I thought it was Baylor a couple of years ago... memory is failing me.

Curly Bill
10/15/2009, 08:13 PM
No doubt about it: offense.

With the game on the line I have small faith that our D would get it done, and it's not the players I don't have faith in.

olevetonahill
10/15/2009, 08:19 PM
No doubt about it: offense.

With the game on the line I have small faith that our D would get it done, and it's not the players I don't have faith in.

Really ???? Id have never guessed :P :D

Curly Bill
10/15/2009, 08:21 PM
Really ???? Id have never guessed :P :D

I know right! ;) :D

olevetonahill
10/15/2009, 08:24 PM
I know right! ;) :D

Need to Fire that Dayum Brent Wilson dont we ?:D

Curly Bill
10/15/2009, 08:28 PM
Need to Fire that Dayum Brent Wilson dont we ?:D

Indeed. :D

gaylordfan1
10/15/2009, 08:49 PM
Damn, thats tuff! I'm going with D on this one. I will take the lead anytime possible.

5thYearSooner
10/16/2009, 12:15 AM
Damn, thats tuff! I'm going with D on this one. I will take the lead anytime possible.

I agree, I believe in our D with us leading by 4 points. Our D has a capability to contain the opposite teams to 21 points. But Our O has to score more than that.

In the past two years, I dont think our O has won a big game for us when trailing in 4th. (vs Florida, vs saxet, vs Ttech(i know Sam was injured but still), WVU).

And this year defense is way better than offense.

So, my money on D.

Okie35
10/16/2009, 12:20 AM
DEFENSE

Okie35
10/16/2009, 12:20 AM
I was trying to remember the last time OU's Offense or Defense needed to score late or stop an opponent's attempt to score to win a game and I couldn't remember--Holiday bowl?

I also this this game will be close, coming down to a last possession. Let's say it is 31-27, 3:00 to go. The team with the ball has 1st and 10, their own 30 yard line and is behind 27-31. Would you rather be the offense, down 4 with a chance to drive the field and win, or the D with the lead that needs a stop?

I'm hoping its more like 35-17 w/ 3:00 to go:D

olevetonahill
10/16/2009, 03:12 AM
I agree, I believe in our D with us leading by 4 points. Our D has a capability to contain the opposite teams to 21 points. But Our O has to score more than that.

In the past two years, I dont think our O has won a big game for us when trailing in 4th. (vs Florida, vs saxet, vs Ttech(i know Sam was injured but still), WVU).

And this year defense is way better than offense.

So, my money on D.

Our D aint stopped em yet
But true enough had the O Scored then the D shouldnt have had to .;)

TXBOOMER
10/16/2009, 07:18 AM
I have no confidence in the D giving us a stop during crunch time against a good offense. I'd take my chances with the best QB in the nation which most experts including myself and Curly Bill agree is Sam Bradford.

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2009, 07:32 AM
Since the game is 27-31, I'll take offense. If it were 10-14, gimme the D.

humblesooner
10/16/2009, 07:59 AM
"I was trying to remember the last time OU's Offense or Defense needed to score late or stop an opponent's attempt to score to win a game and I couldn't remember--Holiday bowl?"

Since you didn't conclude this sentence with "...and OU won the game", I would suggest the last game was the Miami game in 2009, preceeded by the BYU game in 2009. If the D makes a late stop or the O makes a late score, we win both of those games.

And put me in the camp with the O, though I don't have a lot of confidence in either right now.

prrriiide
10/16/2009, 08:37 AM
I have no confidence in the D giving us a stop during crunch time against a good offense. I'd take my chances with the best QB in the nation which most experts including myself and Curly Bill agree is Sam Bradford.

+1

I there's anything we should have learned over the last couple or three years, it's that when a game relies on getting a stop, the inherent weakness in BV's zone scheme will invariably show it's teats to the world and the D will get pantsed across the middle.

rawlingsHOH
10/16/2009, 09:43 AM

and succeeded?

06 A&M
06 OSU
07 Texas

are more recent examples that come to mind.

Let's say it is 31-27, 3:00 to go. The team with the ball has 1st and 10, their own 30 yard line and is behind 27-31. Would you rather be the offense, down 4 with a chance to drive the field and win, or the D with the lead that needs a stop
In the given scenario, defense.

But offenses do have a significant advantage when they have 4 downs at their disposal, instead of 3.

JLEW1818
10/16/2009, 10:30 AM
technically, against Texas in 07 it came down to the defense closing the door

i think this game will be similar.

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2009, 11:27 AM
technically, against Texas in 07 it came down to the defense closing the door

i think this game will be similar.

Yep, one word - "Curtis Lofton". Oh, wait..

IronHorseSooner
10/16/2009, 11:39 AM
Well, this one is tough. In the BYU and thUg games, when the D needed a stop, they couldn't get it. In both, however, if the O gives them a few more points, then they aren't in that situation. I would say the O in this scenario. Sam is a proven leader, and is arguably the best player in the game. I know we have guys like Beal, GK, and Travis Lewis, but I have to believe that Sam would find a way. Even though Landry is going to be great when he gets his shot, I can feel it, with Sam we are undefeated.

JLEW1818
10/16/2009, 11:41 AM
Yep, one word - "Curtis Lofton". Oh, wait..

yup, and Reggie Smith made up for the Colorado game

CBW
10/16/2009, 01:17 PM
I'd be nervous as hell in either scenario, but I have to go with defense. While I have all the confidence in Sam, I can't say the same about the receivers (or OL). Assuming Murray is in the slot, he and Broyles are the only two in whom you could place much faith in that situation, but with 70 yards to go and the game on the line, I'd like to have another weapon. In the end, there are more playmakers on the defensive side.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/16/2009, 04:19 PM
Defense. I don't have much faith in them but I'd rather be up by 4 with minutes left than be down by 4.

Statalyzer
10/16/2009, 06:16 PM
Both teams should rather be on defense with the lead in that situation.