PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filters

StoopTroup
10/15/2009, 10:49 AM
We did a little experiment. We've been using the better Brita Water filtration System for awhile now as I had noticed that we get a bit of trashy build up in the faucet screens at our house. The water filters on our fridge run $29-$45 and you can't really tell when they aren't working anymore.

We found out when they quit this morning. After two years they evidently get full enough that the bottom of the filter assplodes in the fridge. Bottom of the fridge was full of water and we had to pull everything out and clean.

Of course...it's a good idea to clean your fridge every two years whether it needs it or not anyway. :D

So...just an FYI to any of you who have these type of inside the fridge water filters. You might want to change them once a year to be on the safe side...that way while your at the RRSO...you don't come home to a flooded out house. When I pulled the filter out...the bypass kicked in...it's just when the bottom of the filter blows out is when you have a problem. :D

GottaHavePride
10/15/2009, 11:49 AM
Um, the instructions say you're supposed to replace those things every 6 months.

And from what I understand, if you DON'T change them frequently enough, the filter will actually put MORE crap into your drinking water, instead of filtering it out...

StoopTroup
10/15/2009, 11:53 AM
Um, the instructions say you're supposed to replace those things every 6 months.

And from what I understand, if you DON'T change them frequently enough, the filter will actually put MORE crap into your drinking water, instead of filtering it out...

Like I'm gonna listen to them.

I did my own experiment. It's complete. Once a year is fine. I just saved you money...you can thank me now.

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/photos/stylus/62691-Geico-Kash.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
10/15/2009, 12:30 PM

That's not crap, it's flavor and minerals!

http://www.gg.rhul.ac.uk/ict4d/water/hygene_clip_image001.jpg

Dio
10/15/2009, 02:33 PM
I don't know about their water filters, but their ice makers suck ***.

bent rider
10/15/2009, 03:03 PM
plug for
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com

online, but based in OKC

thanks to them I am now skilled at ice maker troubleshooting and repair
good source for appliance parts of all kinds.

Ice makers are a wonderful invention, but they sure can be finicky.

CrimsonJim
10/15/2009, 03:28 PM
We did a little experiment. We've been using the better Brita Water filtration System for awhile now as I had noticed that we get a bit of trashy build up in the faucet screens at our house. The water filters on our fridge run $29-$45 and you can't really tell when they aren't working anymore.

We found out when they quit this morning. After two years they evidently get full enough that the bottom of the filter assplodes in the fridge. Bottom of the fridge was full of water and we had to pull everything out and clean.

Of course...it's a good idea to clean your fridge every two years whether it needs it or not anyway. :D

So...just an FYI to any of you who have these type of inside the fridge water filters. You might want to change them once a year to be on the safe side...that way while your at the RRSO...you don't come home to a flooded out house. When I pulled the filter out...the bypass kicked in...it's just when the bottom of the filter blows out is when you have a problem. :D

Thanks for the reminder. I had this happen too, about a year or so ago. Since I'm going to be gone next week (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135783), I'd better get that changed out today or tomorrow.

StoopTroup
10/16/2009, 08:41 AM
We found a $29 replacement at Lowes but you can buy them on-line much cheaper BTW