PDA

View Full Version : USA Soccer

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

badger
6/21/2011, 05:34 PM
i think i'm going Wednesday in Houston

mexico alos won... so i may not go. i don't wanna die.

I remember seeing a friendly on TV a few years back in Houston of USA/Mexico soccer. It was mostly rojo blanco verde out there. However, they did manage to spot some Hispanics wearing uncle sam attire, so that was cute :)

JLEW1818
6/21/2011, 07:25 PM
it will be on the Mexican channel on all tv

goooooooaaaaaaalllllll

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 10:44 AM
yall ready for tonight?

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 05:40 PM
It's on!!

Scott D
6/22/2011, 07:06 PM
I feel bad...sort of. My national pride wants us to win...however, my logical side said that this program can't move forward with Bob Bradley in charge.

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 07:13 PM
I feel bad...sort of. My national pride wants us to win...however, my logical side said that this program can't move forward with Bob Bradley in charge.

You are right about BB. No way can I root for US loss though.

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 07:13 PM
Are we playing yet? Score?

Scott D
6/22/2011, 07:16 PM
You are right about BB. No way can I root for US loss though.

I'm not actively rooting for a loss....it's just that it won't make me sad if we do.

MelloYello
6/22/2011, 07:43 PM
I want to have Clint Dempsey's babies.

Scott D
6/22/2011, 07:44 PM
so does Landycakes' wife.

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 07:50 PM
finish these bitches off

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 07:53 PM
HIT SOMEBODY GOODSON!!!!

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 07:56 PM
Adu played great

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 07:58 PM
I want Mexico

no doubt about it.

no mercy

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 08:25 PM
So, I take it we won. Score?!

tommieharris91
Adu played great

Yea. Two great crosses?!? Assisted the goal?! Where did this come from?!

MelloYello
Adu played great

Was nice to see him get some action and play well.

tommieharris91
6/22/2011, 08:29 PM
So, I take it we won. Score?!

USA 1-0 Panama

USA plays the winner of Honduras-Mexico at the Rose Bowl 8:00 Central on Saturday. HON-MEX starts in about 30 minutes.

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 09:07 PM
USA 1-0 Panama

USA plays the winner of Honduras-Mexico at the Rose Bowl 8:00 Central on Saturday. HON-MEX starts in about 30 minutes.

Well, good. They got their revenge on Panama.

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 10:25 PM
hey mexico,

i'm gonna **** your world up

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 10:28 PM
Both of these teams look alot better than the US did tonight.

JLEW1818
6/22/2011, 10:30 PM
it don't matter, we will beat both teams on US soil

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 10:51 PM
it don't matter, we will beat both teams on US soil

I doubt we win.

Los Angeles is barely US soil as far as soccer is concerned.

tommieharris91
6/22/2011, 11:01 PM
Both of these teams look alot better than the US did tonight.

We're better than Honduras, but I'm not so sure about Mexico. I'm pretty happy to see they're finishing like SicEm finishes women, though.

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 11:02 PM
That was a missile of a shot from honduras. OT helps us out a little bit.

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 11:09 PM
We're better than Honduras, but I'm not so sure about Mexico. I'm pretty happy to see they're finishing like SicEm finishes women, though.

We're for sure better. We seem to underachieve and it seems to be getting worse.

I like seeing adu out there. The guy he subbed for (agudelo?) was doing great as well.

I'm glad to make it to another GC final

sooner ngintunr
6/22/2011, 11:09 PM
Its always fun to beat up on mexico.

JLEW1818
6/25/2011, 10:05 AM
yall ready?

SoonerofAlabama
6/25/2011, 10:14 AM
I'm just going to ask for somebody to update the score please.

JLEW1818
6/25/2011, 10:16 AM

it will be on the local Spanish channel

tommieharris91
6/25/2011, 10:23 AM

If you get Univision, you get the game. It's in Spanish though...

JLEW1818
6/25/2011, 10:28 AM
If you get Univision, you get the game. It's in Spanish though...

Gooooooooooooooooooooal?

badger
6/25/2011, 01:11 PM
7:30 on Fox Soccer! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(al) USA!

Scott D
6/25/2011, 04:11 PM
it will be on the local Spanish channel

some of us have real sports packages from our television providers. :D

ouboomer1
6/25/2011, 08:49 PM
USA must be lacking some high IQ defenders tonight.

SoonerofAlabama
6/25/2011, 08:53 PM
Is the score 2-2? Something online just said that.

Soonerus
6/25/2011, 09:09 PM
USA defense needs to pick it up !!!

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 09:12 PM
Bornstein is on the field. Our defense has no chance of being good.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 09:15 PM
At this point I'm almost hoping that Mexico wins by 10 so Bradley will get canned. WTF was Gulati thinking keeping him for another 8 years? ****ing moron. He can GTFO, too.

ouboomer1
6/25/2011, 09:45 PM
they might want to consider open tryouts for defenders....

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 09:55 PM
Mexico has surpassed the U.S. again. We have stagnated under Bradley. And no, the Confederations Cup was not that big of a deal. And we barely scraped by in our group last year. I was pissed when Bradley was re-signed and I'm even more pissed now. **** sandwich.

SoonerHoops
6/25/2011, 09:59 PM
Mexico has surpassed the U.S. again. We have stagnated under Bradley. And no, the Confederations Cup was not that big of a deal. And we barely scraped by in our group last year. I was pissed when Bradley was re-signed and I'm even more pissed now. **** sandwich.

Please tell me you're joking. Of course the Confed Cup is a big deal, whether you do well there or not.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:01 PM
It's an exhibition tournament mainly to show that the host country is ready for the big show the following year. It's nice to get there, sure, since that means you're the best on your continent. But it's not that important. The continental championships are more important.

SoonerHoops
6/25/2011, 10:03 PM
It's an exhibition tournament mainly to show that the host country is ready for the big show the following year. It's nice to get there, sure, since that means you're the best on your continent. But it's not that important. The continental championships are more important.

You're totally missing the point. The tournament is not that big of deal, you're right. It's like going to a mid-level bowl game in college football. What is a big deal is another month of practice, learning the country/stadiums that will be played in the following year, and gaining invaluable experience and confidence when you beat teams like Spain or even get blown out by Italy.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:06 PM
And you're totally missing my point. People were gushing over our performance in the Confed Cup. It wasn't a big deal.

Soonerus
6/25/2011, 10:10 PM
USA soccer is like OSU football....geez...

SoonerHoops
6/25/2011, 10:13 PM
And you're totally missing my point. People were gushing over our performance in the Confed Cup. It wasn't a big deal.

You're right, you must know more than the USA coaches/players who attributed playing in the Confederations Cup to their success at the World Cup.

Answer this question yes or no please: Playing the best teams in the world and testing various lineups/formations against them is a good experience

Also, answer this question yes or no: Teams benefit from more practice together.

tommieharris91
6/25/2011, 10:15 PM
USA soccer is like OSU football....geez...

Not even close.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:16 PM
That is not even remotely close to the point I am making. But since you're probably going to persist, I'll answer: any experience is good experience.

But we reached our peak against Spain in 2009. Bradley's plateau doesn't go any higher. That's the point I'm making.

SoonerHoops
6/25/2011, 10:19 PM
Saying that playing in the Confed Cup is not a big deal is just a purely ignorant statement. That's all.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:20 PM
Saying that playing in the Confed Cup is not a big deal is just a purely ignorant statement. That's all.

I never said that. I said our performance in an exhibition tournament was overblown.

tommieharris91
6/25/2011, 10:21 PM
Winning this Gold Cup puts Mexico into the 2013 Confederations Cup. Just FYI.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:22 PM
Assuming the world doesn't end next year.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:31 PM
Gonna be a rough go of it in 2014, assuming we qualify. All of our main stars right now will be in the twilight of their careers by then and our player development/youth system is so poor you never know who will step up and shine, if anyone does.

tommieharris91
6/25/2011, 10:36 PM
Gonna be a rough go of it in 2014, assuming we qualify. All of our main stars right now will be in the twilight of their careers by then and our player development/youth system is so poor you never know who will step up and shine, if anyone does.

We'll qualify, but Chicharito and Dos Santos are gonna give CONCACAF nightmares for years.

Anyway, we've got a lot of young, hyped mids. The team needs to be retooled to work with the midfield as the strength, and we are starting to see some of that now with Jozy sitting and a 4-2-3-1 look that started today's game. It's gonna help a lot if Adu actually turns into a player that grades internationally. He really stepped up his game in the past week.

silverwheels
6/25/2011, 10:39 PM
Dos Santos scares me more than Chicharito, but both of them are better than any (healthy) forwards we have now, which sucks.

It also sucks that Brek Shea wasn't called up. And that Bradley continues to put Bornstein on the field.

tommieharris91
6/25/2011, 10:42 PM
Dos Santos scares me more than Chicharito, but both of them are better than any (healthy) forwards we have now, which sucks.

It also sucks that Brek Shea wasn't called up. And that Bradley continues to put Bornstein on the field.

Wondolowski and Kjlestan being on this team really puzzle me too.

SoonerHoops
6/25/2011, 10:46 PM

What is even more scary are all the players who played significant, major minutes for the US last summer in the World Cup who never even were considered for this Gold Cup (and with good reason)

Curly Bill
6/25/2011, 11:09 PM
Isn't soccer supposed to really be taking off in this country? I mean I've heard that for many years now. Hell, we must have tons of great young players coming on if that's the case. No worries. :D

JLEW1818
6/26/2011, 09:17 AM
oh well at least we don't live in Mexico... all i got

JLEW1818
6/26/2011, 09:19 AM
Isn't soccer supposed to really be taking off in this country? I mean I've heard that for many years now. Hell, we must have tons of great young players coming on if that's the case. No worries. :D

if the Adrian Peterson's and Lebron James types grew up playing soccer only we would be the best in the world.

soccer is not a top 3 sport in America, and it should stay like that.

It's pretty much every other countries number 1 sport, and the fact that we can still compete with pretty much any country is cool

JLEW1818
6/26/2011, 09:21 AM
some of us have real sports packages from our television providers. :D

lol i do... just saying for people with basic cable still get it in Spanish

FtwTxSooner
6/26/2011, 01:10 PM
Bob Bradley looks like a better fit for a U14 girls rec league coach.

silverwheels
6/26/2011, 02:02 PM
if the Adrian Peterson's and Lebron James types grew up playing soccer only we would be the best in the world.

There's more to it than that.

Scott D
6/26/2011, 02:09 PM
Bob Bradley looks like a better fit for a U14 girls rec league coach.

if you want that u14 girls team to be the worst in that rec league, I would agree with you 110%.

Scott D
6/26/2011, 02:13 PM

It didn't puzzle me at all....I just needed two words to explain every poor decision made in regards to personnel with this squad.

Bob Bradley.

I won't lie, losing the Gold Cup didn't disappoint me anywhere near as much as Bradley not getting that gig in the EPL that would have freed the USMNT from his being a terrible manager...then again, that's very likely what didn't get him the gig.

I think the worst part of all of this is that the USMNT will still very likely qualify for the 2014 WC, and with this jackass at the helm they'll hopefully lose out in the group stage so the bigger jackass in charge of the program can give him an extension.

badger
6/27/2011, 11:17 AM
So sorry I wasn't on here Saturday, but basically, here's how it went down:

First few minutes: After getting ran circles around and listing to all the Mexican fans yell BOOOMER! (I said "Sooner" of course) every time goalie Responsible Tim punted, NP and I pretty much realized that we were doomed.

And then... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

And after feeding dogs a big treat for the goal, we sit back once again, realizing that the one goal lead would not last and that it will be fun while it lasts.

And then... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

A 2-nil lead? Could we? Can we?

:mad: and then four-straight goals and a bunch oooo-lay! ing from the crowd, grumble grumble. I think I'm gonna download Plants vs. Zombies.

fin

ouleaf
6/27/2011, 11:44 AM
Tough giving up the early 2-0 lead, but Mexico just kept attacking the back line of the US defense with plenty of well placed through passes. Hurt when Cherundolo went out with an injury, but I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

Michael Bradley, aside from connecting on the header for the first goal was pretty lousy.

Thought Dempsey had a good first half, but second half was not good at all.

Who would have thought one of, if not the best player on the night for the US would have been Adu? Thougth he did some really nice things on the corner kicks he took, connecting with Bradley for the first goal and had the hockey assist on the 2nd goal by Donovan. Also had nice placement on a free kick that their keeper made a nice save on. After being thought to have fallen into soccer obscurity, I thought he made a strong case for more playing time in the future.

badger
6/27/2011, 06:12 PM
Dempsey was a big beyonce out there, I was embarrassed for him, the way he was diving and whining and finally, the ref carded him and I was like "bout time uggggggh"

Was very impressed with Freddy Adu and look forward to seeing some other young stars taking over as the Donovans age out. I think we're a program on the rise, as aggy as that sounds.

And yeah, love Donovan, wish we had nine more of him out there. Same with Tim Howard. He's always so vocal :D

silverwheels
6/28/2011, 02:57 AM
We're not a "program on the rise" until Gulati and Bradley are gone. Most of our fantastic 2007 U-20 squad have flamed out or just not gotten the proper chances because Bradley is a moron.

badger
6/28/2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe talent can just overcome coaching :D

If not, with the rising popularity of the MLS (and also their expanding youth programs), there won't just be more player talent, but also coaching talent in the U.S.

silverwheels
6/28/2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah but that kind of thing doesn't happen overnight. Having Klinsmann as head coach would have accelerated it a little, though, since he knows what he's doing and Gulati and Bradley don't.

badger
6/29/2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah but that kind of thing doesn't happen overnight.

What if we sprinkle it with Miracle-Gro?

silverwheels
6/29/2011, 11:20 PM
Six Ways To Fix American Soccer (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/28/six-ways-fix-american-soccer/)

Six ways to fix American soccer
By Mark Zeigler
9:28 p.m., June 28, 2011

As preparations were being made for the trophy presentation at the Rose Bowl following Mexico’s 4-2 win against the United States on Saturday night, U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati sat on the bench and stared blankly at the jubilant Mexican players.

He was alone, and alone with his thoughts.

Maybe he was merely disappointed with the U.S. performance, blowing a 2-0 lead after 23 minutes. Or maybe he was suddenly overcome with the realization that there are major problems in his empire, that an era of meteoric ascendancy in American soccer has reached an apex, that a cliff may await on the other side.

Here’s how to avoid falling off, or at least how to open a parachute.

1. Admit there is a problem

Before it can be fixed, there must be an admission that it is broken – something the power brokers of American soccer have been loath to do.

The national team also lost to Panama – Panama – in Gold Cup group play and was underwhelming in its victories. And before that, it won one of eight games since the 2010 World Cup.

The under-20 team failed to qualify for the U-20 World Cup out of arguably the planet’s weakest region.

The under-17 team just lost to Uzbekistan and tied New Zealand 0-0 in the U-17 World Cup in Mexico.

The U.S. women’s national team, with more high-level players than the rest of the world combined, nearly didn’t qualify for the World Cup and is at its most vulnerable point in the program’s history. The women’s U-20s were knocked out in the quarterfinals – their earliest exit ever – by Nigeria. The U-17s failed to qualify.

Yeah, there might be a problem.

2. Fire Bob Bradley

This is less about tactics or techniques than timing.

History has taught us that national coaches who hang around for a second World Cup cycle almost always fail, and of all countries, the United States should know that. Bruce Arena guided the 2002 team to the quarterfinals. He stuck around for 2006, and the Yanks didn’t win a game.

Everything that history told us would happen has happened: the team has gone stale, players lack motivation, Bradley has lost the locker room, inferior teams are beating now it. As one person close to the team put it: “The players are miserable.”

Another issue is Bradley’s son, Michael. He was a key piece of the 2010 World Cup team but clearly has lost something – a step, his composure, an edge, something. Yet he played 535 of a possible 540 minutes during the Gold Cup, and the whispers about nepotism, warranted or not, are growing.

The biggest problem, though, is what Bradley represents. He is an exponent of the very system that has delivered a roster of robots to his national team: the youth clubs, college soccer, Major League Soccer.

Having him at the top sends the message that the status quo is acceptable.

3. Hire a foreign national coach

Then tell him there’s no need to find a house in the States. Let him live in London, or Berlin, or Amsterdam, or some quaint European town with a train station.

This accomplishes two things. It brings a fresh, cosmopolitan perspective to a moldy product, and it positions him to place the most promising U.S. players with European clubs.

Because let’s face it. The best American players are based – and have blossomed – in the caldron of European soccer. MLS may one day be a fertile ground for developing and maintaining national-team talent, but it’s not right now. Over six Gold Cup games, just 15 percent of the U.S. minutes came from MLS players (and that includes the Los Angeles Galaxy’s Landon Donovan, who should still be playing in Europe).

This has been done before, basing a non-European country’s national team in Europe. Dutch coach Guus Hiddink did it with Australia for the 2006 World Cup. African countries do it all the time. And imagine how much more productive training camps would be if players didn’t have to fly back and forth across the Atlantic.

4. Reinvent youth soccer

Assemble an international, and fully independent, committee to examine a dysfunctional youth development system and then provide it with sweeping powers to implement change -- not just issue mindless directives that merely perpetuate the problem.

The obsession with winning under-10 State Cups needs to be de-emphasized, along with the influence of parents and the premium placed on raw athleticism at the expense of technical skill. Youth teams are grouped strictly by age level, which gives those who mature early an inordinate advantage and leaves behind the late bloomer, no matter how good he or she is with the ball.

You have to wonder: Would Argentina’s Lionel Messi, a skinny tyke for most of his youth, have been passed over in America?

5. Tweak the college game

NCAA rules severely restrict practice and playing time for college teams, while kids everywhere else in the world are already on pro clubs that play year-round.

And what about eliminating college soccer’s idiotic multiple substitution rule? It creates a hectic, crazed, high-octane mess of kick ball – again, at the expense of technical skill – and players never learn how to properly manage the game and their aerobic resources like they would with the international three-sub limit.

That carries over to MLS, which consists largely of former college players who know only way to play: fast, furious, frenetic.

6. Embrace a soccer culture

It is the great equalizer, and the reason a country with the population of San Diego County (Slovenia) can tie a nation of 313 million in the World Cup.

Kids everywhere else grow up living, breathing, dreaming soccer. Here, kids in the suburbs go to regimented practice twice a week, play a game in front of screaming parents on the weekend and that’s it. No soccer on TV. No pickup games on the neighborhood vacant lot, honing their skills on a bumpy dirt field while dribbling around cinder blocks and tree roots.

Just trying stuff, without an overbearing coach in sight.

There are basically two choices here. Either suburban kids put down their Xboxes and start playing street soccer (probably not happening anytime soon), or U.S. Soccer embraces the ethnic communities that do.

It’s no coincidence that the most promising player on the under-17 national team, the most creative, the most inventive, is midfielder Alejandro Guido.

Who grew up in Tijuana and Chula Vista.

badger
6/30/2011, 11:00 AM
3. Hire a foreign national coach

This might be the answer. You see other sports hire American coaches (and sign American athletes) all of the time. And soccer broadcasts here use foreign commentators in the World Cup (and other broadcasts) for a reason.

Perhaps its time to admit that we just don't have established soccer knowledge that the rest of the world does.

Scott D
7/4/2011, 02:52 PM
I've read a few things of late...and I'm convinced, we're stuck with Bradley at least until Jason Kreis is ready to take over. Short of them kissing his *** we're not ever getting Klinsmann, and we'd have to find a foreign coach with something to prove and a chip on his shoulder to be willing to take on this job.

silverwheels
7/4/2011, 03:17 PM
And we'd still have the problem of having Gulati in charge. He's an economist for Cruyff's sake. Get him out of there. Thanks for growing U.S. soccer to this point, but I think it gets no bigger with him in charge, regardless who is the coach.

JLEW1818
7/4/2011, 04:39 PM
i wanna make love to Lauren Cheney all day

silverwheels
7/4/2011, 04:52 PM
I'd like to be the meat in a Hope Solo/Alex Morgan sandwich. With Heather Mitts on the side.

SoonerHoops
7/4/2011, 05:49 PM
There are some Swedish players I wouldn't mind. And Alex Morgan is smokin'

Too bad she dates this guy http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/carrasco_servando00.html

silverwheels
7/6/2011, 02:00 PM
Watching the USA-Sweden game. Never noticed how hot Ali Krieger is, too.

And the Swedes just took the lead on a penalty.

JLEW1818
7/6/2011, 06:16 PM
refs **** America again

silverwheels
7/6/2011, 07:18 PM
It's okay. If we can get by Brazil (and we can if we execute better in the final 3rd, and they're not as physical as Sweden), England/France is a much better prospect in the semifinal than Germany.

tommieharris91
7/6/2011, 10:10 PM
refs **** America again

I didn't see it that way, at least not on the PK call. That was a pretty clear foul in the area there.

Curly Bill
7/6/2011, 10:25 PM
I didn't see it that way, at least not on the PK call. That was a pretty clear foul in the area there.

Only thing that killed the Mericans was the Mericans. Well, and the Swedes too I guess. :D Officials had nothing to do with it. JLEW is just being a wuss.

JLEW1818
7/9/2011, 06:21 PM
:D

i wanna beat the **** outta Brazil

see ya in the morning

kick at 10am

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 10:23 AM
big game for my girl Lauren Cheney ... just watch!!

USA!

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 10:34 AM
friendly fire!!!

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 11:17 AM
1-0 Half

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 11:42 AM
wtf

they took Lauren Cheney out

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 11:58 AM
un****ing real

FIFA FOR YOU

worthless

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2011, 12:09 PM
The penalty and red card to Buehler a case can be made for. Marta beat her on the play and from the POV of the ref, it looked like she was dragged down.

But that call on Hope on the first penalty attempt was terrible.

I had one guy on my Twitter feed tell me the right call was made because you can't even flinch before the kick is taken.

Which is wrong (go watch Jerzey Dudek in the shootout of the 2005 CL Final). You just can't come off the line before the kick is taken.

Which Hope didn't.

And if FIFA had video review...

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2011, 12:29 PM
And Brazil goes up in ET on play that was offside.

But who needs video review, right Sepp Blatter?

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 12:30 PM
this is ridiculous. i feel this is the reason soccer just doesnt cut it for sports fans in the US.

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 12:31 PM
i ****ing hate soccer sometimes

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2011, 12:34 PM
Like hockey, I love the sport.

But like the NHL, I hate the people who run it sometimes.

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 12:36 PM
i wonder if this ref has a penis

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 12:41 PM
****ing fifa ****

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 12:45 PM
hand ball

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 01:02 PM
holy ****

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 01:03 PM
<3 Rapinoe.

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 01:13 PM
America.

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 01:17 PM
GOD I LOVE BEING AMERICAN!!!

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2011, 01:19 PM
Team America, F*** YEAH!!!

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 01:26 PM
wow what a performance by those women. Despit all the bad calls, being down a player, they persevered to win it. Looks like the ESPY's may need to change the award for best performance! USA USA USA

colleyvillesooner
7/10/2011, 01:29 PM
So freaking awesome.

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 01:35 PM
Think Hope Solo would accept my marriage proposal?

**** it, I'm doing it anyway.

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 01:38 PM
my dong is so hard right now

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 03:19 PM
the last time the US and French went head to head??? best moment in USA Summer Olympic history

8FK3zsTIHsk&feature

sooner59
7/10/2011, 06:45 PM
I got SOOO drunk after that. Lezak straight up caused a spontaneous party at our place that night. Greatest Olympic moment that I have ever seen live. The guy was too far behind (supposedly) the fastest swimmer in that event (French guy) and caught and passed him just by pizzing awesomeness.

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 08:34 PM
*video removed*

Ian Darke with the exact same call as the Donovan goal against Algeria ("Can you believe this??!?!!!?"). Still epic, though.

tommieharris91
7/10/2011, 08:34 PM
Let's get this back on topic. Want a Fanta?
http://www.thesportsbrewery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Alex-Morgan-soccer-hot-5.jpg
(My fave, Alex Morgan.)

AlboSooner
7/10/2011, 08:37 PM
soccer chicks are so hot

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 08:38 PM
Alex Morgan seems nice.

tommieharris91
7/10/2011, 09:07 PM
http://thesporg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Ali-Krieger.jpg
Too bad this is the best GIS pic I can find of Ali Krieger.

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 09:41 PM
Krieger looks great in uniform.

tommieharris91
7/10/2011, 09:47 PM
If you need more spank bait, you can GIS Hope Solo on your own. ;)

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 09:50 PM
I've been a fan of Hope Solo for years.

sooner59
7/11/2011, 12:28 AM
I'm trying to think of an inappropriate comment that involve Hope Solo and the word "handball". Nothing is coming to mind.

badger
7/11/2011, 12:10 PM
I would love it if Nike could get some tribute to '99 ads together.

6Eifa8oqCRU

Mia et al should have a cameo, of course :D
A few others:
kFuPTnJ9ABc
zV12k6k9W4Q
HV9jcsuj-G0

JLEW1818
7/11/2011, 11:19 PM
gotta stop Gaëtane Thiney

JLEW1818
7/12/2011, 09:33 PM
yall ready?

JLEW1818
7/12/2011, 09:36 PM
JOAJn8h6VAI

silverwheels
7/12/2011, 09:40 PM
The sound of the ball hitting the net is the tits.

JLEW1818
7/12/2011, 09:43 PM
lol i started jumping up and down screaming at the tv

no chance the brazil goalie had a chance in PK's. not mental way you could get prepared for that, thinking you were just 30 seconds away from winning.

tommieharris91
7/12/2011, 09:48 PM
lol i started jumping up and down screaming at the tv

no chance the brazil goalie had a chance in PK's. not mental way you could get prepared for that, thinking you were just 30 seconds away from winning.

She had no chance because her technique was pure ****. After she got called for coming off the line and her save was disallowed, she was still stepping up and it made covering the extreme corners of the goal impossible.

silverwheels
7/12/2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, she left the line early on every kick. I was surprised they let her get away with it.

silverwheels
7/12/2011, 10:16 PM
IngiX9zZRc8

(the original call is from Gonzaga's win over OSU back in the Adam Morrison days)

JLEW1818
7/12/2011, 10:58 PM
Gaetane Thiney

how hard would u pound that? :D

LOOK HER UP

silverwheels
7/12/2011, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't say no.

Curly Bill
7/12/2011, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't say no either, but the USA has 3 or 4 I'd take over her, Canada had a couple I'd take over her, Germany had at least 2 I'd take over her... Well anyway...not that I've paid much attention. :D

JLEW1818
7/13/2011, 10:32 AM
:D agree

but for a Frenchie.. it would be cool

tommieharris91
7/13/2011, 01:15 PM
Gaetane Thiney

how hard would u pound that? :D

LOOK HER UP

Necib looked better. Abily was pretty hot too.

yankee
7/13/2011, 01:25 PM
Alex Morgan just stole my heart.

SoonerOX
7/13/2011, 11:12 PM
Alex Morgan just stole my heart.

Yep. Me too.

Curly Bill
7/13/2011, 11:47 PM
Necib looked better. Abily was pretty hot too.

Yep, after I got off here last night I remembered that France has a hotter one than the one JLEW picked out in Necib.

JLEW1818
7/16/2011, 12:12 PM
Sweden up 2-1

nighttrain12
7/16/2011, 10:54 PM
Finals on Sunday on ESPN! USA! USA!

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 11:23 AM
I'm ready

sooner ngintunr
7/17/2011, 12:35 PM
Heck yeah. USA by two goals. 2-0.

yankee
7/17/2011, 01:11 PM
Almost Abby Wambach time!

yankee
7/17/2011, 01:13 PM
Almost Alex Morgan time! <3 <3 <3 :hot: :hot: :hot:

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 01:13 PM
splat

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 01:31 PM
This is going to be a tough one. We're going to have to be patient and not wear ourselves out chasing them all over the field, and we're going to have to use our height advantage on set pieces. Counter-attacks are going to be pivotal.

AlboSooner
7/17/2011, 01:57 PM
It has already been a more entertaining game than the boring world cup final between spain and germany

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 01:59 PM
*Spain and the Netherlands.

We have looked the better side so far. Gotta finish our chances, though.

AlboSooner
7/17/2011, 02:03 PM
Rapinoe should have two goals

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:03 PM
Japan's goalkeeper is like 5'2

AlboSooner
7/17/2011, 02:06 PM
*Spain and the Netherlands.

exactly

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:08 PM
first time that Hopo Solo has even been shown during the game, at 21:44

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:11 PM
can't **** around with the japs.

need a goal

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:14 PM
OMG

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:15 PM
She tagged that one. Unlucky.

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 02:16 PM
Thought that ball was going in. Just missed it.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:18 PM
okay, Japan really does suck.....

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 02:19 PM
Hey, just wondering here. I don't get into soccer much. Just trying to support the USA a bit by watching, but what is tackling in soccer?

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:22 PM
Taking someone off the ball.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:27 PM
I'm getting pissed

i guess i need to start pounding beers so we score

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:29 PM
I'm more worried. We may be getting more chances on goal, but it only takes one, and Japan is patient enough to wait for that one really good chance.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:31 PM
Japan is horrible. we should be killing this bull ****

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:32 PM
Japan is much smaller and less athletic than us, but they're pretty technically proficient. They're not horrible.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 02:33 PM
That is probably the best half they played minus the scoring chances. I figure we go 20 minutes into the second half at the most before Alex Morgan subs in.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:34 PM
Japan is much smaller and less athletic than us, but they're pretty technically proficient. They're not horrible.

some of their (japan) shots on goal were like watching 3rd grade soccer. not even close.

we have had like at least 5 shots that could have gone either way.

drop the ****ing hammer on them in the second half.

the possession time is not even close

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:35 PM
some of their (japan) shots on goal were like watching 3rd grade soccer. not even close.

we have had like at least 5 shots that could have gone either way.

drop the ****ing hammer on them in the second half.

the possession time is not even close

Doesn't mean they're horrible. It just means that we have closed down on them on defense better than Germany and Sweden did.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:35 PM
Doesn't mean they're horrible. It just means that we have closed down on them on defense better than Germany and Sweden did.

agree, but when USA is at their best, Japan is not even close.

Too bad we are giving them life. I'm going to call Lauren and talk to her now. :)

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:37 PM
The USA is playing their best (or close to it), and Japan still has it tied at 0-0.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:45 PM
No Cheney for the 2nd half.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 02:50 PM
another miss!!!!!!!

poor Lauren Cheney

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 02:54 PM
Rapinoe is a boss.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 02:58 PM
I am the allsome at predicting the substitution pattern.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:02 PM
Rapinoe is a boss.

such a good ball handler

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:03 PM
Thank goodness that was a right back taking that shot and not a forward.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:04 PM
they really should try to move Abby to a different area on the next corner. Japan has that tactic sniffed out.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:05 PM

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:07 PM
they really should try to move Abby to a different area on the next corner. Japan has that tactic sniffed out.

Bob B style coaching... don't change!!! ;)

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:07 PM
I just find it amusing that the smallest team in the entire tournament has had the most success in inhibiting likely the tallest player in the tournament on corner kicks.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:09 PM
GOAL GOAL USA!!!!!!

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:10 PM
Rapinoe again with a brilliant ball and Morgan with about as perfect a finish as you can have. What a goal.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:10 PM
Rapinoe again with a brilliant ball and Morgan with about as perfect a finish as you can have. What a goal.

what a future we have too.

Cheney only 23 too

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:11 PM
god i love this referee

i wish they were all like this

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:14 PM
work that clock girls!

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 03:18 PM
1-0. Japan running out of time.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:19 PM
Even though I grew up playing soccer and still love watching the game, Julie Foudy is cracking me up. People in this country aren't watching this because they're genuinely interested in women's soccer. Americans care because it's America. We love to see our national teams dominate the world.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:20 PM
I'd rather they tack on a second one

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 03:20 PM
Even though I grew up playing soccer and still love watching the game, Julie Foudy is cracking me up. People in this country aren't watching this because they're genuinely interested in women's soccer. Americans care because it's America. We love to see our national teams dominate the world.

Yep, only reason I am watching.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:21 PM
*sigh*

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:21 PM
Are you kidding me?

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:22 PM
holy ****

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 03:23 PM
Stupid japs.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:24 PM
Stupid defensive mental lapse.

corrected for accuracy. they gift wrapped that goal for Japan, in a big red white and blue bow.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:32 PM
We need some fresh legs out there.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:34 PM
Dammit, this should have been a 1-0 win.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:35 PM
We need some fresh legs out there.

I can't decide if Boxx or O'Reilly should come out.

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 03:35 PM
This should have been like a 4-0 win.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:36 PM
I'm nervous

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:36 PM
I can't decide if Boxx or O'Reilly should come out.

I vote for Boxx. She was really dragging *** there near the end of regulation.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:37 PM
What I'm afraid of is that she'll bring Amy Fernandez on.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:39 PM
Fernandez (Rodriguez, same thing) has been invisible so far this World Cup, but she traditionally has a lot of success against Japan.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:41 PM
er I meant Rodriguez...I figured they'd bring the little 17 year old on.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:42 PM
put Gooch in

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:43 PM
dammmit!

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:44 PM
Boxx needs to come out

Collier11
7/17/2011, 03:48 PM
Im just ready for this to be over so I dont have to care about soccer again until the mens world cup :D

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:48 PM
hope we aint getting too tired

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:50 PM
wow Boxx really? uhhhhh

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:51 PM
Japan were the ones who had to be stretched out during the break before extra time, however they aren't cramping the way that Brazil started to.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:51 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collier11
7/17/2011, 03:52 PM
wambach is a man, man

SoonerofAlabama
Awesome.

JLEW1818
FINISH THESE ****ING BITCHES

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:53 PM
Wambach has a golden noggin.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:54 PM
if this was a game of just heart and pure willpower, the score would have been Abby Wambach 15 Japan 0.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 03:54 PM
keep playing USA soccer. Our offense is our best defense. don't get conservative

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 03:58 PM
Almost pulled another Bornstein there.

Scott D
7/17/2011, 03:59 PM
clearly Stanford didn't teach Julie Foudy how to count time.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 04:00 PM
Nor did her 20+ years of playing soccer.

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:00 PM
Wambach could beat up Jlew

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:02 PM

Collier11
girls are so retarded athletically sometimes

silverwheels
Almost Bornstein'd again.

Scott D
any of the women on any of these teams could beat up Jlew

be honest Scott. :)

JLEW1818
Wambach could beat up Jlew

lol Women have not seen something like her really in soccer. she is just under 6ft, and prlly stronger than all of us

Collier11
SicEm could beat up Jlew

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:03 PM
hats of to Rapinoe!!!!!! couldn't have done it without her

Scott D
7/17/2011, 04:03 PM
there's the sub I was expecting...Tobin Heath.

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:04 PM
holy ****

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:04 PM
HOLY ****ING ****

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:05 PM
experience on that save ... nothing more than that

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:06 PM
well, there ya go

Scott D
I have no words

silverwheels
Game is obviously rigged.

JLEW1818
no ****ing way

cccasooner2
WOW.

SoonerofAlabama
Wow. Also.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 04:07 PM
FIFA is going to let Japan win on penalties and take down the evil American empire.

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:07 PM
blame that on FIFA? That was bad on us

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry, just being American.

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:08 PM

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:10 PM
WOWZERS

Scott D
ouch, that is a harsh decision....she must have been the final defender.

JLEW1818
free kick?

silverwheels
Damn, why couldn't that have happened in the box?

Collier11
I want to bone Alex Morgan

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 04:12 PM
Dreading these PKs.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:12 PM
lol, why not?

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:13 PM
I want to bone Alex Morgan

i already did

soonerprices
More extra time or PK's?

silverwheels
More extra time or PK's?

Penalties.

JLEW1818
7/17/2011, 04:14 PM
Hope is way better.

but i don't like the mental side of this.

Collier11
7/17/2011, 04:15 PM
I HOPE you are right :D