PDA

View Full Version : USA Soccer

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 03:18 PM
Who's ever playing left defender needs to be benched. Ghana has been breaking down the right side all day long.

sooner59
6/26/2010, 03:20 PM
Well, 30 more minutes.

Eielson
6/26/2010, 04:03 PM
"Hey we're winning, so let's roll around on the ground to see how much time we can waste."

oudavid1
6/26/2010, 04:06 PM
Im proud to be an American!

sooner59
6/26/2010, 04:26 PM
My favorite was the ****ing *ussy that tried to bicycle kick with nobody around him, falls on his ***, then lays there like he is dead until they stop everything and take him off on a stretcher. They set him down off the field and he hops right up to his feet. I want to punch that "guy" in his girl parts.

GrapevineSooner
6/26/2010, 05:20 PM
Going into this tournament, there was concern about the US backline.

Ultimately, it was one of their fatal flaws, along with not being able to finish.

StoopTroup
6/26/2010, 05:26 PM
If you play to a tie you won't win the World Cup. We never took charge in any of the games we played in. We played to not lose.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 06:16 PM
My favorite was the ****ing *ussy that tried to bicycle kick with nobody around him, falls on his ***, then lays there like he is dead until they stop everything and take him off on a stretcher. They set him down off the field and he hops right up to his feet. I want to punch that "guy" in his girl parts.

Oscar winning performance.

silverwheels
6/26/2010, 06:51 PM
2 20min overtimes switch sides each time, then penalty kicks

2 15 minute extra time periods.

birddog
6/26/2010, 06:53 PM
If you play to a tie you won't win the World Cup. We never took charge in any of the games we played in. We played to not lose.

we did start all the games with that mentality but then dominated teams as the games wore on. unfortunately, ghana is just better than us.

i'm proud of those guys. another LOOOONG 4 years to go.:mad:

JLEW1818
6/26/2010, 08:26 PM
:( excuse me

TUSooner
6/26/2010, 09:13 PM
Going into this tournament, there was concern about the US backline.

Ultimately, it was one of their fatal flaws, along with not being able to finish.

Yup. Lots of character on the US team, but years of study and observation have revealed to experts that the team that scores more goals defeats their opponent every time.

Eielson
6/26/2010, 10:06 PM
they guy who stayed on the ground. i hope you and your family all burn in hell... w/e your religion might be.

we played horrible. They clogged the middle the entire night. i still don't think we realize that. we played okay.. i think we needed Gooch... he could have helped on some Headers. Their goalie made us look like punk bitches all night.

Proud to be an American.

but serioulsy the fag that stayed on the ground the last half.. burn in hell. have your mom, dad, sister, son, and daughter come with you... i hate you . and don't care what happens to you.. please burn..

USA USA USA !!! in the end... i don't live in Africa. so I'm happy .

Wow.

tommieharris91
6/26/2010, 11:07 PM

We took charge against Algeria the entire game.

tommieharris91
6/26/2010, 11:12 PM
Anyway, I thought we really missed Charlie Davies today. He would have finished chances that Findley created. Also, I don't wanna see Ricardo Clark in a US shirt again. Edu and Torres are both clearly better than him, and I'm sure top MLS mids could outplay Clark. Just starting Clark (as I expected) meant we would need at least 2 goals to win today. The lenient yellow 2 minutes after his turnover made the decision that much worse.

Honestly, I'm not sure the USMNT keeps Bradley either. It's atypical that international managers last more than 4 years, even ones that win the World Cup.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2010, 11:30 PM
Unless we know there's a veteran coach that can teach offense interested in us, I think we keep Bradley. This was a TON better than the last World Cup for us.

We need to get some of our younger players (I'm looking at you, Altidore and Edu) some experience in non-US leagues. Going without Charlie Davies hurt, and not having Gooch at 100% hurt a lot too.

Why in the hell was Damarcus Beasley not on the field? I think he's got better game speed than a lot of our guys.

Collier11
6/26/2010, 11:42 PM
14' we should be a better team if Donovan can still play at a high level, we all wanted the US to be great this year but the fact is, we just werent a great team

Collier11
6/26/2010, 11:43 PM
Unless we know there's a veteran coach that can teach offense interested in us, I think we keep Bradley. This was a TON better than the last World Cup for us.

We need to get some of our younger players (I'm looking at you, Altidore and Edu) some experience in non-US leagues. Going without Charlie Davies hurt, and not having Gooch at 100% hurt a lot too.

Why in the hell was Damarcus Beasley not on the field? I think he's got better game speed than a lot of our guys.

cus Beasley sucks

tommieharris91
6/27/2010, 12:00 AM
I'd guess Klinsmann.

Both the guys you named play in Europe. Edu's league probably isn't much better than MLS though. Still, I rather take a regular on the Scottish champion than someone who plays in 2. Bundesliga any day.

I'm shocked he was named to the squad.

tommieharris91
6/27/2010, 12:07 AM
14' we should be a better team if Donovan can still play at a high level, we all wanted the US to be great this year but the fact is, we just werent a great team

We might be a better team with or without Donovan the next WC. The US player pool is growing and more talent is coming into it. 4 years is a long way out, but the trend is positive.

Collier11
6/27/2010, 12:33 AM
Yea but weve been hearing that the player pool is growing for the last 3 WCs. Bottom line, in 02 we overachieved, in 06 we busted, and this year we did about what we needed to do. We were borderline not even making it to the knockout stage and borderline making a run.

I think in 14' this young team could be really good and I think we need Donovan for one more run, he is one of the best US soccer players ever

Curly Bill
6/27/2010, 02:10 AM
Yea but weve been hearing that the player pool is growing for the last 3 WCs. Bottom line, in 02 we overachieved, in 06 we busted, and this year we did about what we needed to do. We were borderline not even making it to the knockout stage and borderline making a run.

I think in 14' this young team could be really good and I think we need Donovan for one more run, he is one of the best US soccer players ever

Yup, and you know what: outside this board I've heard no one talk about WC soccer, and I haven't been dodging kiddos in the streets kicking soccer balls around either. I have however been watching a whole lot of kids playing basketball - now that does my heart good. :D

Collier11
6/27/2010, 02:27 AM
As much as some ppl want, Football will always be #1 in America, baseball and hoops will be #2 and 3, Soccer is down there. Americans care about the WC like they care about the Olympics, every 4 years. Thats not a knock and its not a bad thing, its just a fact.

I love the WC, I cant stand MLS, English Premiership, etc... and most Americans feel the same. Dont get me wrong, if the good ol' U.S. of A ever makes a run in the WC like they did in 02, I will be going crazy, but once the WC is over, I wont care anymore until 4 years later. I was checking my phone and the tube every cpl of minutes today, once we lost, I didnt care anymore. I was upset, but only for an hour or so

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 07:41 AM
Errrrr I hate them.

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 08:49 AM
Landon is 28
Dempsey is 27
Jozy is 20
Howard 31
Bradley 22
Edu 24

should we be better next world cup? i know there are many factors.

badger
6/27/2010, 09:00 AM

Ahh, we were one miracle goal away from being eliminated before advancing to the knockout stage, yknow?

badger
6/27/2010, 09:08 AM
btw, they really called a lot less fouls in our match yesterday and seem to be swallowing the whistle today with the germans and brits. Think all those youtube videos making fun of the world cup flopping and talk of some questionable calls made FIFA instruct the refs to lay off giving into acting?

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 09:09 AM
I'm for the Germans

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 09:21 AM
Germany 1-0

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 09:33 AM
2-0 GERMANY

ENGLAND GETTING EMBARRASSED

ROONEY SUCKS DICK

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 09:39 AM
wow is there any more reason why soccer needs replay ? holy ****

GrapevineSooner
6/27/2010, 09:43 AM
wow is there any more reason why soccer needs replay ? holy ****

No kidding. That ball was clearly over the line.

It amazes me that any sport in this technological age would rather fall back on the ridiculous human element argument than embrace technology.

Blown calls are nothing to embrace when the goal is to get the call right.

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 09:57 AM
if its tradition or culture, that **** needs to go.

just an absolute joke. officiating should never determine any part of a game this big.

tommieharris91
6/27/2010, 10:01 AM
if its tradition or culture, that **** needs to go.

just an absolute joke. officiating should never determine any part of a game this big.

It's FIFA's pride. They voted replay down about 3 months ago.

GrapevineSooner
6/27/2010, 10:02 AM
As much as some ppl want, Football will always be #1 in America, baseball and hoops will be #2 and 3, Soccer is down there. Americans care about the WC like they care about the Olympics, every 4 years. Thats not a knock and its not a bad thing, its just a fact.

I don't know that soccer fans have any grand illusions about the sport taking hold here like it does the rest of the world. We all recognize American football is king with basketball and baseball right behind it. Hell, even hockey's more popular here than soccer is.

We get that soccer is a niche sport and will always be a niche sport.

But it's popularity here has grown in the last decade as evidenced by ESPN acquiring the rights to the EPL, the growth of Fox Soccer Channel, and the fact the UEFA Champions League Final was televised on Fox this year, the first time that's ever happened.

badger
6/27/2010, 10:26 AM
2-0 GERMANY

ENGLAND GETTING EMBARRASSED

ROONEY SUCKS DICK

Rooney really is gonna get all bearded and fat while maintaining soccer fields from a trailer just like that Nike ad, isn't he? :D

I was listening to the match while updating that silly Hottest poll (see the link in the sig). I think it's too outta hand to keep tuned in for. England just has no D, despite the ref screwjob. Germans would be winning this match even if Brits got that goal.

It's now 4-1. Getting that goal taken away just took their mojo. God save the queen.

GrapevineSooner
6/27/2010, 10:55 AM
Take heart US fans. Our squad had a much better World Cup than England did.

I can at least understand why the US backline was bad.

I have no idea why England's was. I mean, yes, they had Jamie Carragher back there. If you're a Liverpool fan like me, you know he just came off one of the worst seasons in his career and have been questioning Fabio Capello's decision to name him to this squad for several months now.

But John Terry looked absolutely clueless out there.

Oh well. At least I can go back to fully hating Wayne Rooney now. Nice World Cup, ya Manc. :D

bri
6/27/2010, 10:58 AM
That made my black heart feel all warm and tingly. Suck it, wankers!

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 11:02 AM
we needed Gooch yesterday!

bri
6/27/2010, 11:19 AM
If Mexico loses too, this could be the greatest day in soccer history. For me, at least. #hatehatehate

Curly Bill
6/27/2010, 11:29 AM
I think England had Olevet playing on it's backline. :D

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 11:33 AM
for real!

Curly Bill
6/27/2010, 11:35 AM
The English broadcaster was ripping them pretty good post game. Saying how slow they were and such.

Seems I remember a certain poster saying last week that England was a bunch of slow white guys. Oh yeah! That was me, I'm a bleeping soccer genius! :D

tommieharris91
6/27/2010, 11:46 AM
What's more fun than England looking bad? What their press says about them! Time to find the tabloid headlines.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01074/sss_1074164a.jpg

tommieharris91
6/27/2010, 11:53 AM
we needed Gooch yesterday!

I really wonder how far we would have gone with him in 2009 Confederations Cup form...

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 12:09 PM
yep. i hear u

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 12:46 PM
At least England didn't go out on penalties this time. :D

And even though Maradona is a colossal ******, I hope Argentina smashes the **** out of Mexico.

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 12:49 PM
Landon is 28
Dempsey is 27
Jozy is 20
Howard 31
Bradley 22
Edu 24

Landon, Dempsey, and Howard will be entering the twilight of their careers by 2014. If Jozy learns how to finish better he will be deadly, and we have to develop a few guys to play alongside him and to provide depth. Would be really nice if Freddy Adu got his **** together. He played well with Jozy when they were on the U-20 team.

This was the best team we have sent to the WC, and I think we're improving every cycle. There are some really good young players coming up in the system.

Collier11
6/27/2010, 01:39 PM
Ahh, we were one miracle goal away from being eliminated before advancing to the knockout stage, yknow?

You forget that we had a legit goal taken away or we wouldnt have even needed that miracle goal. We also had a legit goal taken away in the 2-2 game that couldve screwed us. Bad refs affected us more than alot of things

I don't know that soccer fans have any grand illusions about the sport taking hold here like it does the rest of the world. We all recognize American football is king with basketball and baseball right behind it. Hell, even hockey's more popular here than soccer is.

We get that soccer is a niche sport and will always be a niche sport.

But it's popularity here has grown in the last decade as evidenced by ESPN acquiring the rights to the EPL, the growth of Fox Soccer Channel, and the fact the UEFA Champions League Final was televised on Fox this year, the first time that's ever happened.

Oh I agree, I never even watched soccer before 98, never really cared before 02. Like I said, I doubt ill ever be into the leagues and all that but the WC is fun and I enjoy watching it

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 01:49 PM
Landon, Dempsey, and Howard will be entering the twilight of their careers by 2014. If Jozy learns how to finish better he will be deadly, and we have to develop a few guys to play alongside him and to provide depth. Would be really nice if Freddy Adu got his **** together. He played well with Jozy when they were on the U-20 team.

This was the best team we have sent to the WC, and I think we're improving every cycle. There are some really good young players coming up in the system.

what was the guys name that was hurt? would have paired nicely with Jozy up front..

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 01:57 PM
WOW WHAT A DISGRACE FIFA OFFICIATING IS.

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 03:36 PM
what was the guys name that was hurt? would have paired nicely with Jozy up front..

Charlie Davies. He'll be back.

And Mexico may have gotten screwed on the first Tevez goal, but they deserve it.

JLEW1818
6/27/2010, 04:43 PM
so we play Brazil in August?

I'm still proud of our team. As long as we are competitive, I"ll be a fan.

I see us being competitive for a long time.

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, but it's just a friendly. Won't mean anything.

TUSooner
6/27/2010, 05:00 PM
WOW WHAT A DISGRACE FIFA OFFICIATING IS.

word. And is there a more pompous and stubborn and inept sports organization than FIFA? They have absolute control over the planet's single most popular sport, yet don't have the sense or the balls to take simple steps to get things right.

Exhibit A - The Jubulani ball that has a mind of its own: AFTER the WC, they "think they might" have a look at it. :rolleyes:

Ex. B - The WC refs were mostly inept, to be kind. In addition to simply hideous decisions against the USA (2), England, and Mexico, the ref in the USA v. Slovenia game was obviously way over his head and had no control over the game. That's well beyond the usual and normal errors in human judgment.

Ex. B(1) - They refuse to give significant help to the single ref who is required to watch 22 player and the ball at once while chasing the ball up and down the field for 90 minutes. They don't need 47 referees like the NFL, but a couple on the touch lines wouldn't bog down the game. And it's obvious taht many players are happy to take advantage of the overworked guys, deliberately trying to fool them whenever they can.

Ex. C - They refuse to use even the simplest replays to get things right. How long would it have taken from someone with a view and a radio microphone to have told the ref that Lampard's goal was in or that Tevez was yards off-side v Mexico. And then there was the whole Thierry Henri fiasco - an obvious injustice that they refused to rectify before the WC started. Even cricket and rugby use replay, folks !

Ex. D - They claim to detest "simulation", but fakers and divers and cheap cheats continue to debase the game with impunity, provided they can dupe the overworked ref. FIFA and the leagues need to be able to review game videos and punish offenders with fines and suspensions after the fact.

In sum, these global jerkfaces make the NFL, MLB, NBA & NHL look like model organizations of purity, fairness, and wisdom.
FIFA = Fools & Idiots F***ing All

badger
6/27/2010, 06:40 PM
Our state needs us an MLS team... hell, our university needs a mens soccer team. Any change we could get one going, or would that make us even more Title IX non-compliant?

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 07:58 PM
We were considered for an MLS team several years ago, but they wanted to expand to larger markets and I don't think the support is really there for one in OKC or Tulsa, at least not the same level of support as in cities like Portland, Vancouver, Philadelphia, etc.

bri
6/27/2010, 08:37 PM
Oh, you'd be surprised...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/TulsaRoughnecks.png

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 09:47 PM
I don't doubt that there would be a decent number of old Roughnecks fans who would show up, but Tulsa isn't a big market. MLS has one more expansion club to hand out for 2012 before they should stop and let the existing clubs grow. I think they should move Chivas USA to New York or Miami and rebrand them and give the last expansion spot to whichever city didn't get the relocated franchise. MLS needs to get back into the Southeast.

tommieharris91
6/27/2010, 11:21 PM
We were considered for an MLS team several years ago, but they wanted to expand to larger markets and I don't think the support is really there for one in OKC or Tulsa, at least not the same level of support as in cities like Portland, Vancouver, Philadelphia, etc.

Seeing that this World Cup is rating best in San Diego, I don't think Chivas USA should move. I wouldn't mind MLS giving a city in Florida a try though.

silverwheels
6/27/2010, 11:49 PM
The problem with the first two Florida franchises was lack of ownership and no stadiums, and those seem to be the problems now. There were rumors floating around not too long ago that Barcelona was going to try and contribute to a franchise in Miami, but those faded. I think that would have been cool.

And Montreal's franchise needs to be named Olympique de Montreal. Would be so awesome.

TUSooner
6/28/2010, 08:37 AM
No doubt I like watching the world cup, but it's really more fun to watch your local favorites in person. You can sense that the game is faster and more physical than it seems on TV. And of course you can yell directly at the players, and unlike the players on TV, the ones on the ground can actually hear you!

GottaHavePride
6/28/2010, 12:00 PM
I don't doubt that there would be a decent number of old Roughnecks fans who would show up, but Tulsa isn't a big market. MLS has one more expansion club to hand out for 2012 before they should stop and let the existing clubs grow. I think they should move Chivas USA to New York or Miami and rebrand them and give the last expansion spot to whichever city didn't get the relocated franchise. MLS needs to get back into the Southeast.

New York already HAS an MLS club.

badger
6/28/2010, 01:31 PM
I've been reading up on MLS history - it was created as part of an agreement with FIFA the last time we hosted the World Cup.

There have been two franchises in Florida, if I recall correctly. Both failed. As someone mentioned, ownership and stadiums is a big part of that. MLS no longer owns and operates franchises, I think. Soccer-specific stadiums really help rake in the profits.

The ones turning profits are Seattle and Toronto. Toronto was expected to fail and even had an agreement to be the only Canadian MLS franchise for several years. However, it has turned out to be an incredibly (and profitable!) success and Toronto is supporting the start of new Canadian franchises immediately. I think Vancouver and Montreal are the target cities.

I was just saying the Oklahoma soccer franchise thing as an offhanded comment. I know that we'd be one of the last cities to receive one. The new franchise fee is like $40 mil now!

I hope MLS continues to expand and gets more profitable. It's fun to watch. I really get a kick out of the franchise names that are playing off foreign clubs. DC United... Real Salt Lake... Toronto FC :D

Scott D
6/28/2010, 02:34 PM
Detroit has surfaced in the round of teams on the short list supposedly.

It's funny how people seem to be so ready to say how much they dislike soccer, or dislike league soccer. Those on the fence I'd implore you to watch a Barcelona match from beginning to end. They play a system that is basically soccer's version of the triangle offense. Their passing and player movement is in smaller groups of triangles (to a degree) and it's a motion offense style of play. They've been so successful with that style of play that the Spanish National Team has tried to alter their play to accommodate it, due to the large number of Catalan players on the roster.

Personally I think the best thing about most soccer games is that I can fit them into my schedule. It's a lot easier for me to sit and watch Real Madrid/Barcelona than it is to watch Red Sox/Yankees...at least with the soccer game I know when it'll be over, and it doesn't run a chance of taking half the day away.

badger
6/28/2010, 02:43 PM
I love soccer for the atmosphere (I also happen to be a WWE fan, and my favorite matches often depend on how involved the crowd is).

Vuvuzelas aside, it simply amazes me what soccer crowds will do to keep the energy level high for 90 minutes (plus some stoppage time and halftime, of course). The songs, the drums, the scarves (even in summer?!), it is just fantastic.

Scott D
6/28/2010, 03:42 PM
to be somewhat fair, this world cup is taking place during the winter in it's locale.

I started watching soccer more for the strategy than anything. When it's played in a flowing style it's more like a chess match than anything, moves being made with the move three spots ahead in mind.

GottaHavePride
6/28/2010, 04:02 PM
to be somewhat fair, this world cup is taking place during the winter in it's locale.

I started watching soccer more for the strategy than anything. When it's played in a flowing style it's more like a chess match than anything, moves being made with the move three spots ahead in mind.

And when played like OUR team plays it's more of a game of Axis and Allies. ;)

Heh.

And Badg, I think at least one or two of those club names are because the European sides are part-sponsors of the team. I know Real Madrid actually had a hand in Real Salt Lake for a while there, even to the point of Real Madrid coming to the US for exhibition games, and the Madrid players helping out with youth camps and such.

I mean, the big European clubs have to be looking at the US as a vast pool of potential new fans (and revenue).

silverwheels
6/28/2010, 04:12 PM
New York already HAS an MLS club.

I know. And they can support another. Better (for the league) to have a second NY franchise than one in St. Louis, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Detroit, etc. There's rumors making the rounds that if NY gets a second team, they will bring back the Cosmos name.

badger
6/28/2010, 04:43 PM
I know Real Madrid actually had a hand in Real Salt Lake for a while there, even to the point of Real Madrid coming to the US for exhibition games, and the Madrid players helping out with youth camps and such.

I read about that a little - I think that the Real Salt Lake name was just a tribute at first, but then, became a partnership later... although it's a very one-sided partnership in favor of Salt Lake, it seems. :D

I love that MLS is getting youth programs going at every franchise. I heard that Dallas Stars have kiddo hockey programs and have a really strong fanbase because of it :D

TUSooner
6/28/2010, 04:50 PM
Chicago Fire just helped facilitate a union of youth clubs in New Orleans. They have also done it in Jackson, MS and I'm sure in many other places. I'm not sure how involved the MLS club will actually be (probably not much), but without their umbrella, these stubborn New Orleans clubs never would have agreed to merge. It was long overdue, and it creates a great situation for everyone: The serious talent is no longer diluted among 3 smallish clubs, and there's a greater pool of players to form good lower level teams that just don't want to commit to too much travel "& stuff".

silverwheels
6/28/2010, 04:53 PM
Real Salt Lake = worst name in U.S. sports. "Real" means "royal" in Spanish. It actually applies to Madrid. When has there ever been royalty in Salt Lake City (and I'm not talking about visitors)?

TUSooner
6/28/2010, 04:54 PM
***When it's played in a flowing style it's more like a chess match than anything, moves being made with the move three spots ahead in mind.
When England plays it's as slow as chess, and some of the players can only move in certain directions or one square at a time.... :(

TUSooner
6/28/2010, 04:55 PM
Real Salt Lake = worst name in U.S. sports. "Real" means "royal" in Spanish. It actually applies to Madrid. When has there ever been royalty in Salt Lake City (and I'm not talking about visitors)?

I've certainly thought the very same thing. But if Real Madrid is actually associated with the Salt Lake Team team, it's much less dopey.

badger
6/28/2010, 04:58 PM
When England plays it's as slow as chess, and some of the players can only move in certain directions or one square at a time.... :(

Recovering chess nerd here (been mostly clean for 15 years!) and there is a very good reason for this -

When you're the chess king, you can only move one square at a time.

And as we all realize, every English futbol'er thinks he's king. :D

TUSooner
6/28/2010, 05:01 PM
The title "Real" (Spanish pronunciation: [reˈal]) is derived from the Spanish language where it is traditionally used by certain Spanish football clubs such as Real Madrid of La Liga. It is translated into English as "royal" and it is taken by teams that make the King of Spain an honorary member of the club.

Dave Checketts and SCP Worldwide partners Dean Howes, Kenneth Munoz, Michael McCarthy, and Chris Bevilacqua chose Real Salt Lake for the team's name because they desired to associate the team with a successful soccer club, Real Madrid, as well as to develop a brand that was clearly associated with association football.

The choice of Real Salt Lake was initially met with derision in the fan community, as many fans thought the name should more accurately reflect the Salt Lake area.[citation needed] Other team names considered were Salt Lake City Highlanders, Salt Lake Soccer Club, Alliance Soccer Club and Union SLC.[4] However, in the passing years, criticism from local fans and the media has waned, and the club has instituted a formal relationship with Real Madrid.[5]
and further down....

As of September of the 2006 season, Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid have signed a 10-year co-operative agreement. Among the provisions of the deal are a biennial friendly match between the two teams to take place in Salt Lake City, annual February training for RSL at the Real Madrid practice facility in Spain, and, perhaps most importantly, the creation of a $25 million elite youth academy in SLC that will train up to 200 players from ages 12 to 18.[15] The academy, a co-operative project for which Real Madrid will pay half the cost, will include academic facilities and dormitory housing, arguably becoming the first true soccer "youth system" in MLS, along with the Red Bull Academy effort of Red Bull New York. In this sense, it is part of a growing league-wide trend toward the emphasis of youth development, a trend which has been encouraged by the main office and jump-started by the league's decision to allow individual teams to maintain rights to the products of potential youth development systems.

silverwheels
6/28/2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, RSL wasn't actually associated with Real Madrid at first. They just chose the name because a successful club in Europe had it. So lame.

badger
6/28/2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, RSL wasn't actually associated with Real Madrid at first. They just chose the name because a successful club in Europe had it. So lame.

Meh, the Cleveland Browns for the same reason - to be associated with success, not cuz of the color.

Oh the irony :D

GottaHavePride
6/29/2010, 03:36 PM
FIFA President now saying they're going to re-visit some sort of technology to help with goal-line calls, but not instant replay.

Collier11
6/29/2010, 03:41 PM
You have to atleast get the goal calls correct, just like HRs in baseball. Atleast do the bare minimum...and for the record, im not a proponent of full scale replay in any sport

TUSooner
6/29/2010, 03:43 PM
FIFA President now saying they're going to re-visit some sort of technology to help with goal-line calls, but not instant replay.

Who? Sepp Blather ? I won't re-rant about FIFA, but it is important for the press to continually bash them for being blind, backwards, and arrogant, because sometimes even the Almighty FIFA listens (or at least pretends to).

I only saw on Sky Sports last night that FIFA had actually forbidden someone from conducting further RESEARCH on goal line technology. Galileo was lucky back in the day when he only had to deal with the Catholic church instead of FIFA.

Scott D
6/29/2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah ole Sepp saying they'll revisit the discussion, not that they'll revisit whether or not to use goal line technology. I have my doubts that anything will come of it.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 03:01 PM
Bill Simmons has a pretty good article up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100701

TUSooner
7/1/2010, 03:11 PM
Bill Simmons has a pretty good article up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100701

Yeah, I enjoyed that earlier today. It's actually nice to read about someone liking something - anything - in these days of widespread cynicism!

btk108
7/1/2010, 04:39 PM
really?...this thread is still going? Let it die mercifully and start thinking about kickoff.

silverwheels
7/1/2010, 05:46 PM
really?...this thread is still going? Let it die mercifully and start thinking about kickoff.

Who asked you for your opinion?

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 05:49 PM

BOOOOOOOOOO!!

Kickoff is two damn months away, and I personally don't give a flying crap what preseason mags have to say.

The biggest sporting event in the world is still going.

Collier11
7/1/2010, 06:14 PM
I stopped caring personally when the USA went out

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 06:17 PM
I'm hoping for an EPIC game between Argentina and Germany. Not only are they probably the best two teams left, but they HATE each other.

JLEW1818
7/1/2010, 06:20 PM
Brazil Dutch

Dutch pull it out !

silverwheels
7/1/2010, 06:32 PM
I'd like to see the Netherlands win, but I'll go with Brazil by 2 goals. They can lock it down and play European-style soccer when they have to, but they also have the talent to possess the ball and outpass the other team. Netherlands is weak in the defensive third.

silverwheels
7/1/2010, 06:33 PM
I'm hoping for an EPIC game between Argentina and Germany. Not only are they probably the best two teams left, but they HATE each other.

I would take Brazil over both teams and Spain over Germany.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 07:04 PM
See, I know Brazil is good, but they haven't looked that outstanding to me yet. Aside from Germany's early loss, they and Argentina have looked like they totally outclass the other teams. I could see Spain over Germany IF Spain could maintain possession and dictate the flow of the game. But that Ozil kid is just damn good.

badger
7/1/2010, 07:29 PM
So I saw a youth USA soccer replica jersey and I though it would be cute with the fourth of july and all... 60 bucks. I don't even pay that much for an OU jersey.

silverwheels
7/1/2010, 08:10 PM
See, I know Brazil is good, but they haven't looked that outstanding to me yet. Aside from Germany's early loss, they and Argentina have looked like they totally outclass the other teams. I could see Spain over Germany IF Spain could maintain possession and dictate the flow of the game. But that Ozil kid is just damn good.

My problem with Germany (and Argentina) is their defense. Neither team has shown the grit in the back third that Brazil has up to this point. I think Brazil has the capability to shut down pretty much anyone they come across, and I don't think that holds true for Germany or Argentina.

But I would like to see anyone but Brazil win it.

silverwheels
7/1/2010, 08:12 PM
So I saw a youth USA soccer replica jersey and I though it would be cute with the fourth of july and all... 60 bucks. I don't even pay that much for an OU jersey.

Yeah, soccer jerseys can be pretty expensive. I generally only look for ones on sale, or fakes that are really, really close to the actual thing. I'm not paying $80+ bucks for an Olympique de Marseille jersey, not including shipping.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2010, 08:54 PM
On the other hand, I'd rather see US Soccer actually get some of the profits from the jersey than some unlicensed company in India... ;)

silverwheels
7/1/2010, 08:58 PM
True, and if I were buying a USA shirt, it would have to be authentic. But if I want one from a European club like L'OM or Liverpool, I don't care where I get it.

KC//CRIMSON
7/1/2010, 09:40 PM

Looking forward to watching that game along with the Spain vs Paraguay

This Spain team is one of the best passing teams I've ever seen. Those guys are great.

tommieharris91
7/2/2010, 12:10 AM
Bill Simmons on soccer and the WC (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100701)

Scott D
7/2/2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think I can ever adequately express how much I hate that little bitch Arjen Robben.

JLEW1818
7/2/2010, 12:19 PM
dutch win, i win, yall lose

good call jlew

Collier11
7/2/2010, 01:25 PM
Netherlands!!!!!!!!

tommieharris91
7/2/2010, 03:05 PM
I don't think I can ever adequately express how much I hate that little bitch Arjen Robben.

I'm surprised his leg didn't fall off when he got stamped by Felipe Melo.

silverwheels
7/2/2010, 03:13 PM
Hopefully a new country will win the tournament this time. I was glad to see Brazil go out, as they had been the only nation to win the World Cup on every continent on which it has been played.

Scott D
7/2/2010, 03:29 PM
I'm surprised his leg didn't fall off when he got stamped by Felipe Melo.

as I told a friend of mine who rooted for the Netherlands. Robben likely dove 3+ times on the way to the locker room to change into his bra and skirt.

HBick
7/2/2010, 04:17 PM
WOW, 4-2 on penalty kicks for Uruguay over Ghanna. Say what you will but the 120 minutes were intense capped off by the penalty kicks. Unbelievable...

badger
7/2/2010, 04:42 PM
The way that last penalty kick went in the goal was almost kind of insulting... just a soft touch floater up the middle.

Some of those penalty kicks by Ghana though were just weak sauce attempts. I mean... come on! Don't have it stay on the ground.

I lol'd at the Uruguay powerbomb (kick #4) though... wow. Waaaaay into the cheap seats! :D

TUSooner
7/2/2010, 04:45 PM
WOW, 4-2 on penalty kicks for Uruguay over Ghanna. Say what you will but the 120 minutes were intense capped off by the penalty kicks. Unbelievable...

That was the craziest ending I've ever seen. Suarez saves the game by getting a red card!? Are you kidding me ?!

I was for Uruguay but feel a bit gutted for Ghana -- just a very very tiny bit. :D
And I was for Holland but think Robben was a total c*nt today.

One more thing- I think Diego Forlan became my favorite player of the tournament. He was fabulous all over the field. I wanted Uruguay to advance just so I can see him play in another game.

badger
7/2/2010, 05:56 PM
btw, did you hear South Africa wants to host the Olympics now?

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5348176)

"I don't see why we can't bid to host the Olympics... People are already talking about a possibility of bidding for [other] major events and we are supporting this. The Olympics are an example."
http://viviennemackie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/vuvuzela2.jpg
BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Today, a lot of people who are honest enough have come out and said, 'We confess, we were wrong about your country.

If you thought it was annoying during the World Cup, can you imagine those d@mn horns at the Olympics?!

HBick
7/2/2010, 07:00 PM
No way they will get the Olympics any time soon. There are too many WAY to developed countries that want it.

Plus FIFA is on record as stating how they don't only care about money, which is why South Africa got the bid for 2010. Brazil in 2014 is kind of a slap in the face against that don't you think? Most powerful country in South America. Whatever doesn't matter.

Point is, Olympics are all about making money. That NBC contract alone rivals the rest of the world's contract value

badger
7/2/2010, 08:13 PM
No way they will get the Olympics any time soon. There are too many WAY to developed countries that want it.

Plus FIFA is on record as stating how they don't only care about money, which is why South Africa got the bid for 2010. Brazil in 2014 is kind of a slap in the face against that don't you think? Most powerful country in South America. Whatever doesn't matter.

Point is, Olympics are all about making money. That NBC contract alone rivals the rest of the world's contract value

The only thing South Africa would have going for it is the fact that the Olympics have yet to be hosted in Africa. It is what really helped push Brazil ahead of Spain for the last Olympic bid, even though a longtime committee member really wanted his home country to be declared host. Too bad for him, South America pushed the equality issue to the end... I'm sure it didn't hurt that they're in the same time zone as NBC :D

JLEW1818
7/2/2010, 11:35 PM
I have Dutch over Germany in my work bracket

i like

98% jumped on Brazil to win it.

silverwheels
7/3/2010, 01:28 AM
I picked Spain in the beginning, so I'm sticking to that, but after their game against the Swiss, I liked Brazil more.

silverwheels
7/3/2010, 10:47 AM
Looks like this was sent directly from Berlin to Buenos Aires:

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~kmg357/pictures/others/40lbrape.jpg

TUSooner
7/3/2010, 10:59 AM
I thought Argentina would win it all. I guess not.

I don't like them; I just thought they'd win it.

Does Germany's 4-0 beatdown of Argy this make England's loss less ugly?

Curly Bill
7/3/2010, 11:03 AM
Nope, England still looked craptastic.

Scott D
7/3/2010, 11:09 AM

Not really in regards to Brazil. It's been quite some time since a South American country has hosted the World Cup, and it breaks the rhythm of a European host every other Cup, even though England has the 2018 WC.

silverwheels
7/3/2010, 11:32 AM
Brazil is really the only South American country with the infrastructure to host a World Cup, which I guess is why they were the only country to bid for 2014.

silverwheels
7/3/2010, 01:04 PM
Probably going to be a boring game, unless Spain can break through Paraguay's bunker early and often. Paraguay is probably hoping to do the same thing they did to Japan: draw 0-0 and go to penalties.

silverwheels
7/3/2010, 03:35 PM
Spain-Germany is going to be great. Screw Paraguay. They're the Greece of South America. Terrible team to watch.

I do feel bad for Larissa Riquelme, though. :(

Collier11
7/3/2010, 03:45 PM
Dumbest thing ive seen in a while, you probably just lost the game because you got offsides/encroachment on a PK, what a bunch of dipsh*ts

TUSooner
7/3/2010, 07:21 PM
Hats off to Paraguay for fighting it out, but good riddance. Nobody really wants to see a team that plays only for a stalemate and hopes for a lucky goal or a win on PKs.

JLEW1818
7/10/2010, 08:28 AM
3rd place game today

silverwheels
7/10/2010, 11:56 AM
Go Uruguay. I guess. I don't really care who wins. Just let it be a good game. Would like to see at least one insane goal from Forlan.

JLEW1818
7/10/2010, 12:06 PM
need a bicycle kick

TUSooner
7/10/2010, 12:55 PM
The 3rd place game is usually pretty wide-open and fun to watch, from what I remember from past WCs.

silverwheels
7/10/2010, 02:39 PM
Would like to see at least one insane goal from Forlan.

Boom. He might be my favorite non-U.S. player of the World Cup.

JLEW1818
7/10/2010, 03:12 PM
3-2 Germany

silverwheels
7/10/2010, 03:22 PM
Forlan! That would have been so epic. Deutschland finishes 3rd again.

JLEW1818
7/10/2010, 03:25 PM
why was the older German guy not playing? I missed the semi

Collier11
7/10/2010, 03:30 PM
The Octopus remains undefeated, unreal

silverwheels
7/10/2010, 03:32 PM
The Octopus remains undefeated, unreal

Undefeated in this tournament, but he did miss one game in Euro 2008. Still, he's like 10 out of 11 or something like that.

Collier11
7/10/2010, 03:45 PM
Def interesting though, lol

silverwheels
7/10/2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah. It's pretty awesome.

TUSooner
7/10/2010, 09:28 PM
Forlan! That would have been so epic. Deutschland finishes 3rd again.

yep, it woulda been too cool. That guy's my favorite player of the tournament.
I was hoping Klose would play, though, just to see if he could get WC career goal #15. Was he sick? Or did the coach just not want him to pass up Gerd Muller?

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 12:33 PM
Klose's back was flaring up again. Just read that this morning.

Today is going to be a glorious day.

badger
7/11/2010, 12:34 PM
So I just saw Nelson Mandela in the stadium and I'm thinking "wtf, I thought I heard somewhere that he died"

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 12:37 PM
Haha. What have you been listening to?

JLEW1818
7/11/2010, 12:47 PM
Dutch 1-0

!!!

Scott D
7/11/2010, 01:03 PM
So I just saw Nelson Mandela in the stadium and I'm thinking "wtf, I thought I heard somewhere that he died"

His granddaughter died the day of the opening match (Mexico/South Africa) so he didn't attend the opening game.

JLEW1818
7/11/2010, 01:31 PM
nothing new, but wow some soccer players are freaking fakers.

Collier11
7/11/2010, 01:38 PM
Who wants to fly to Amsterdam real quick, just in case :D

KC//CRIMSON
7/11/2010, 02:40 PM
Is FIFA getting these officials out of a Happy Meal box? How Du Jong isn't camped out on the bench with a red card is a crime.

JLEW1818
7/11/2010, 02:49 PM
thought the Dutch had that one.

sooner59
7/11/2010, 03:34 PM
Who wants to fly to Amsterdam real quick, just in case :D

ME!!! Free drugs and women for everyone!

sooner59
7/11/2010, 03:35 PM

I didn't see Mandela, but I saw Morgan Freeman.

JLEW1818
7/11/2010, 03:57 PM
Thank God he was onside

just saved the world cup

Scott D
7/11/2010, 04:16 PM
do me a favor jlew, predict a texas win over everyone next season the day of the game ;)

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 04:20 PM
Ugliest final since 1990. Fitting, since it was the worst tournament since 1990.

Oh well, congrats to Spain. Truly the best team in the World.

Scott D
7/11/2010, 04:21 PM
only thing that could have made the ending better would have been Robben getting a second yellow for kicking the ball away from Casillas.

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 04:28 PM
Robben should play for Italy.

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 04:38 PM
FIFA named Forlan the player of the tournament. Well deserved, I think.

tommieharris91
7/11/2010, 04:46 PM
About half of Spain should play for Italy.

Fixed.

As a Barcelona fan, I can't be bitter. 7 Barca players just won the World Cup.

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 04:57 PM
Fixed.

True for both teams, really, and there were some dirty tackles by the Dutch today.

Muller wins the Golden Boot award and Best Young Player award. We might be looking at another Germany-Spain final at Euro 2012.

TUSooner
7/11/2010, 05:01 PM
I wanted the Netherlands to win. Or at least I wanted to want them to win. But the crappy way they flopped and fouled in their last couple of games made me glad to see Spain win. The Dutch have no business complaining about the refs, since they should have been playing with 10 men for most of the match. Their ugliness was everything that keeps people from becoming soccer fans. Arjen Robben was especially disgusting; nobody deserved to botch 2 breakaways more than he did.

Forlan deserved every award he could get. He was terrific. So was Muller the Kid.

It was a crummy final, and not such a great tournament, but I'm already trying to figure out how to get to Brazil in 2014.

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 05:10 PM
I think I'll skip Brazil. Don't want to get kidnapped and murdered. England 2018 or USA 2022 would be awesome, though.

Collier11
7/11/2010, 05:14 PM
You havent lived until youve been kidnapped by a drug cartel

sooner59
7/11/2010, 06:01 PM
Oh come on...there's no violence in Brazil.

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 06:50 PM
Oh come on...there's no violence in Brazil.

Especially not in Rio or Sao Paulo.

GottaHavePride
7/12/2010, 11:12 AM
Ugh. Terrible final match to watch. Uruguay - Germany was a MUCH more entertaining game.

tommieharris91
7/12/2010, 11:45 AM
Especially not in Rio or Sao Paulo.

What Brazil has going for it is a lot of oil (and I mean A LOT of oil) inside the country and off its coast.

GottaHavePride
7/12/2010, 12:07 PM
If by that you mean coconut oil and bikinis...

silverwheels
7/12/2010, 03:13 PM
Ugh. Terrible final match to watch. Uruguay - Germany was a MUCH more entertaining game.

3rd place games usually are more entertaining than the Final. Nothing to lose in the 3rd place game.

TUSooner
7/12/2010, 03:15 PM

SOMEbody gets it. :D

tommieharris91
7/12/2010, 03:17 PM

Certainly. I like brazilian wimmen.

tommieharris91
7/12/2010, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/irZFe.gif

silverwheels
7/12/2010, 03:35 PM
De Jong is such a dirty bastard. He should have been ejected.

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2010, 03:38 PM
De Jong is such a dirty bastard. He should be perma-banned from FIFA.

+1

silverwheels
7/12/2010, 03:42 PM
That will work for me, too.

Scott D
7/12/2010, 07:21 PM
eh I don't think DeJong intended to Chuck Norris Xabi Alonso, he's just lucky as hell that Howard Webb clearly missed it.

7 Barcelona starters (could have easily been 8), 3 Real Madrid starters, and 1 Villareal starter. 5 of the starters from Catalunya...only 1 Madrileno hehehe.

TUSooner
7/13/2010, 04:15 PM
eh I don't think DeJong intended to Chuck Norris Xabi Alonso, he's just lucky as hell that Howard Webb clearly missed it...

DeJong missed the ball by YARDS and planted his foot high and right into Alonso's chest. If that wasn't "deliberate" as a matter of law, it was so blatantly reckless that he should have been tossed immediately. In any game or time other than fairly early in the WC final that would have been a red.

Holland really showed how crappy the game can be when played by goat turds. I'm mad at them because I wanted to be for them but they wouldn't live up to my standards !! :D

Scott D
7/13/2010, 04:17 PM
I'm of the mind that it was utterly and completely reckless, anything by Van Bommel however, was purely and utterly intentional. And I have to give him credit, because Spain was trying to get him double carded to get removed from the match...and he managed to skate away with only that early yellow card.

TUSooner
7/14/2010, 08:03 AM
Thierry Henry signs with MLS's NY Red Bull****. Very interesting. Good for the league, I'd say. He's 32; is he admitting that he's over the hill by signing with MLS ? How will he do? Pretty well, I thinks.

silverwheels
7/14/2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah, he's admitting that his career is nearly over. But it will still be cool to have him here.

TUSooner
7/14/2010, 08:30 AM
Yo. EPL Fantsay League is starting up again. Stay tuned... And make sure Curly knows about it! ;)

Curly Bill
7/14/2010, 02:50 PM
I love you soccer guys, you're just so...

...sensitive. :O

Collier11
7/14/2010, 02:52 PM
Its the message board equivalent of taking a dive in a real game :D

Curly Bill
7/14/2010, 02:55 PM
No kidding.

You think I'd get all worked up if someone criticizes football or basketball? Hey go ahead, knock yourself out. Let me, you, or someone criticize soccer and the Nancy's come running to defend their cherished sport.

It's really quite cute.

TUSooner
7/14/2010, 03:02 PM
No kidding.

You think I'd get all worked up if someone criticizes football or basketball? Hey go ahead, knock yourself out. Let me, you, or someone criticize soccer and the Nancy's come running to defend their cherished sport.

It's really quite cute.

Not so. Nobody really gives a flying **** about what you like or don't. The point is this: I don't go around looking for basketball threads to **** on (except once just to make a point). But you come over to our house just to fart in the living room. We just want you to take your gas elsewhere.

Curly Bill
7/14/2010, 03:04 PM
Not so. Nobody really gives a flying **** about what you like or don't. The point is this: I don't go around looking for basketball threads to **** on (except once just to make a point). But you come over to our house just to fart in the living room. We just want you to take your gas elsewhere.

Your house?

That makes me laugh.

Now, have a bite of cheese with that wine. ;)

TUSooner
7/14/2010, 03:40 PM
Your house?

That makes me laugh.

Now, have a bite of cheese with that wine. ;)

You should start a "Soccer Sucks" thread and see if I come fart, er.... post on it.

:D

Curly Bill
7/14/2010, 04:32 PM
I'd rather come put my feet up on you soccer guys furniture. ;) :D

GottaHavePride
7/14/2010, 09:48 PM
Thierry Henry signs with MLS's NY Red Bull****. Very interesting. Good for the league, I'd say. He's 32; is he admitting that he's over the hill by signing with MLS ? How will he do? Pretty well, I thinks.

Considering he lost his starting position at Barcelona last year... probably yes.

But he's probably still as good as, if not better than, anyone else in MLS.

Scott D
7/16/2010, 04:43 PM
To be fair, Henry had to compete with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Lionel Messi, Pedro Rodriguez, and Bojan Krkic for a starting spot at Barcelona...Pedro came out of the gate on fire last year to put Henry on the bench, and the addition of David Villa this offseason and now Adriano from Sevilla pretty much was the writing on the wall for Henry.

And you can't really blame Barca, every other striking option for them is at least 4 years younger than Henry (Zlatan). The true writing on the wall was when he was rarely even an option for that idiot Dominech on the national team.

Collier11
7/16/2010, 05:10 PM
Bob Bradley might go coach Fulham, USA Soccer trying to keep him...he did well but im not so sure we should go out of our way to keep him, what say ye all?

tommieharris91
7/16/2010, 11:26 PM
Bob Bradley might go coach Fulham, USA Soccer trying to keep him...he did well but im not so sure we should go out of our way to keep him, what say ye all?

Since I'm a believer that national team coaches should stick around only 4 years at a time at most, I hope he signs at Fulham. I'd like to see what Dempsey says about him publicly though.

TUSooner
7/17/2010, 08:50 AM

I'm not necessarily eager to see Bradley out. BUT...I'd rather see an American coach succeed in England, and I'd still like to see Klinsmann coach Team USA, though neither is extremely likely, especially the Klinsmann thing.

TUSooner
7/17/2010, 08:58 AM
I'm not necessarily eager to see Bradley out. BUT...I'd rather see an American coach succeed in England, and I'd still like to see Klinsmann coach Team USA, though neither is extremely likely, especially the Klinsmann thing.

Well I guess "Bradley to Fulham" bypassed "Klinsmann to team USA" on the Ain't Happenin' list. Fulham is taking Martin Jol.

Scott D
7/17/2010, 12:53 PM
bwahahahahaha Martin Jol...bwahahahahaha.

silverwheels
7/17/2010, 01:30 PM

At one point, Klinsmann really wanted to coach Team USA, and as far as I know, that hasn't changed, which is why he hasn't gotten back into coaching; he's waiting for the spot to open up. I like Bradley and I think he's the best coach the national team has had, maybe ever, but I'm not sure he could take us to the next level, while I think Klinsmann has a much better chance.

GottaHavePride
7/17/2010, 02:33 PM
What was the reason Klinsmann didn't take it before? Didn't he want to be in complete control of the team, and US Soccer didn't want to give him the executive authority on top of coaching?

silverwheels
7/17/2010, 03:55 PM
What was the reason Klinsmann didn't take it before? Didn't he want to be in complete control of the team, and US Soccer didn't want to give him the executive authority on top of coaching?

Yeah, Gulati didn't want to give him that much control. Hopefully he has changed his stance. Klinsmann could do so much for soccer in this country.

TUSooner
7/17/2010, 09:28 PM
bwahahahahaha Martin Jol...bwahahahahaha.

Who did Jol last coach a few years ago in the EPL? Was it Tottenham?

GottaHavePride
7/17/2010, 09:37 PM
Indeed.

Scott D
7/17/2010, 10:03 PM
yeah, Spurs ran him out of the country pretty hardcore. A job like Fulham might be more on his level though. He's always struck me as a guy who can do a little more with less, and lower expectations with less pressure. Spurs think they're a top side, so he had to overcome that.

tommieharris91
8/5/2010, 02:23 AM
Squad for the next set of friendlies:

GOALKEEPERS- Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS- Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)

FORWARDS- Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Pachuca)

No Dempsey or Gooch. Jermaine Jones gets a nod.

Scott D
8/5/2010, 05:06 AM
yeah but unfortunately they're still being led by Bob Bradley.

TUSooner
8/9/2010, 06:24 PM
yeah but unfortunately they're still being led by Bob Bradley.

If they could just get someone else to coach the 1st 10 minutes if each half....

Scott D
8/9/2010, 07:02 PM
If they could just get someone else to coach the 1st 10 minutes if each half....

maybe Randy Lerner can hire him to be in charge at Aston Villa since Martin O'Neill proved he is a quitter again.

JLEW1818
8/9/2010, 07:08 PM
Brazil tomorrow

silverwheels
8/9/2010, 09:05 PM
I wish Jones were fit, but I don't think he ever will be. Probably not going to learn a whole lot from this game.

JLEW1818
8/10/2010, 07:07 PM
USA USA USA

silverwheels
8/10/2010, 07:55 PM
Neymar is good. He should have been with Brazil in South Africa.

JLEW1818
8/10/2010, 07:59 PM
2-0 Brazil

silverwheels
8/10/2010, 08:07 PM
We should have been playing more up-and-coming guys. Don't see why Howard and Donovan are out there.

JLEW1818
8/10/2010, 08:37 PM
I hope Jozy can become a top striker

silverwheels
8/10/2010, 09:06 PM
Meh. Didn't even seem like the players were into it that much. Plus Brazil's second team is still really good. We still have a long way to go.

Collier11
8/10/2010, 09:11 PM
I think Bradley has done a TON for USA soccer but Im not sure he is the coach to get us over the hump. Him moving on may not be the worst thing

silverwheels
8/10/2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I would like to see Klinsmann take over.

JLEW1818
8/30/2010, 07:28 PM
4 more years for Bradley as coach.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=819449&sec=global&cc=5901

Scott D
8/30/2010, 07:38 PM
god I hope we don't win a single ****ing match for the next 4 years...dumb ****ing move.

Randy Lerner save this country and hire this dip**** to ruin Aston Villa.

silverwheels
8/31/2010, 07:44 PM
Could be worse, but it could also be much better. Bradley is solid, but he has no imagination, sucks at preparing the team, and is too afraid to bring in new players and give them a shot. Gulati and Bradley should both be gone.

GottaHavePride
8/31/2010, 09:44 PM
So you're saying Bradley is USA Soccer's Kelvin Sampson?

;)

silverwheels
8/31/2010, 10:33 PM
You mean Calvin Simpson?

Scott D
9/1/2010, 04:56 PM
no, I'm saying Bradley is Gerry ****ing DiNardo. :)

tommieharris91
10/15/2010, 03:36 PM
USA World Cup Bid Committee has withdrawn their bid to host the 2018 World Cup and has decided to focus solely on the 2022 bid.

silverwheels
10/15/2010, 04:12 PM
Well, I think it was obvious that 2018 was going to go to Europe, anyway, so this just makes it a formality.

JLEW1818
3/25/2011, 04:47 PM
WELL WELL WELL

JUST A REMINDER

U.S. Men
vs. Argentina

New Meadowlands Stadium; E. Rutherford, N.J.

March 26, 2011 @ 6 p.m. Central
ESPN2 & Univision

silverwheels
3/25/2011, 05:30 PM
Yay, meaningless friendlies! Hopefully we play a lot of new faces and try a new formation or two.

Scott D
3/25/2011, 05:32 PM
Is Bob Bradley still in charge?.....yeah I don't see anything significant except how many goals will Tim Howard manage to prevent Argentina from scoring.

silverwheels
3/25/2011, 07:37 PM
Is Bob Bradley still in charge?.....yeah I don't see anything significant except how many goals will Tim Howard manage to prevent Argentina from scoring.

Good point.

JLEW1818
3/26/2011, 10:31 AM
Jozy needs to become a top striker in the world.

Scott D
3/26/2011, 10:48 AM
Jozy doesn't have the drive or work ethic. But, he's not as lazy as Freddy Adu, so he has that going for him.

silverwheels
3/26/2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, that's not going to happen.

JLEW1818
3/26/2011, 07:22 PM
our backline sucks

JLEW1818
3/26/2011, 08:32 PM
a good tie..

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 12:15 PM
we play Spain at 3:30pm Today ESPN

ouleaf
6/4/2011, 03:43 PM
USA! USA! USA!

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 03:55 PM
wow that was close

Curly Bill
6/4/2011, 09:21 PM
I actually enjoyed watching that. Them thar Spaniards know how to play some futbol. Our guys...not so much.

And BTW: the offsides rule is the stupidest in all of sports.

silverwheels
6/5/2011, 01:35 AM
When do we play a game that matters again?

Scott D
6/5/2011, 10:51 AM
When we likely lose on Tuesday.

I'm pretty much at a point when I want someone to wake me up when Bradley gets fired.

FtwTxSooner
6/5/2011, 11:40 AM
We have a hard enough time trying to be competitive playing our best 11 players against top teams. Go anywhere beyond that, and these are the results you'll get.

JLEW1818
6/5/2011, 03:33 PM
i ****ing hate canada

Curly Bill
6/5/2011, 03:55 PM
i ****ing hate canada

Why, they've never done anything? They're kinda like your neighbor that keeps their yard nicely mowed and all, but other than that you never see them, nor hear from them.

JLEW1818
6/5/2011, 03:56 PM
2010 Winter Olympics ... errrrrrrr Sid the kid

Curly Bill
6/5/2011, 03:59 PM
2010 Winter Olympics ... errrrrrrr Sid the kid

This is a soccer thread, not a hockey thread dumas! :D

JLEW1818
6/5/2011, 04:07 PM
damn that Sid the Kid!

JLEW1818
6/5/2011, 04:07 PM
lotta porn stars out of canada

Curly Bill
6/5/2011, 04:08 PM
lotta porn stars out of canada

It's cooooold up there. Nothing else to do. :D

Scott D
6/11/2011, 09:03 PM
Can we get rid of Bradley now? Losing in the US to Panama is unacceptable.

silverwheels
6/11/2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, it was a huge mistake to re-sign Bradley after the WC. We all knew it at the time, but this is just ridiculous. Gulati can probably **** off, too.

Scott D
6/19/2011, 01:29 PM
Just saw the lineup against Jamaica....I so look forward to being eliminated in the Quarterfinals.

silverwheels
6/19/2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah I guess Bradley doesn't want to win.

silverwheels
6/19/2011, 03:45 PM
Well, maybe he does.

JLEW1818
6/19/2011, 07:30 PM
i think i'm going Wednesday in Houston

mexico alos won... so i may not go. i don't wanna die.

Scott D
6/19/2011, 09:43 PM
I think you should totally go.

JLEW1818
6/19/2011, 10:11 PM
wow all the Mexicans bought all the tickets.. freaking sold out.

will it be on TV?

sooner ngintunr
6/21/2011, 05:21 PM
wow all the Mexicans bought all the tickets.. freaking sold out.

will it be on TV?

Fox Soccer Channel. I think its 716 on cox. 6 pm.