PDA

View Full Version : USA Soccer

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

silverwheels
6/9/2010, 11:33 PM
True, but Michael Owen also had to play for Newcastle. :D ;)

Collier11
6/9/2010, 11:39 PM
It still bothers me that in 2010, despite the popularity of other sports in America that we cannot find 1 superstar soccer player to represent our country.

Im talking about a Truly Great athlete/Soccer player, Landond Donovan isnt that.

tommieharris91
6/10/2010, 12:47 AM
It still bothers me that in 2010, despite the popularity of other sports in America that we cannot find 1 superstar soccer player to represent our country.

Im talking about a Truly Great athlete/Soccer player, Landond Donovan isnt that.

It's funny how youth soccer development is a completely different animal in Europe than youth sports development is in the US. This long article (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/magazine/06Soccer-t.html?pagewanted=1&ref=homepage&src=me) by the NYT shows just how different and strange competitive player development is by documenting one of the most well-known soccer academies in the Netherlands. The biggest thing about it is that, they're training their future athletes as individuals and not as a team by focusing on how players develop the sport's fundamentals rather than worrying about winning and losing.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 12:55 AM
2010 is the year, didnt we also run an initiative in 98' with the goal being to win the WC this year. Dont look like they did what they needed to do, we will see

tommieharris91
6/10/2010, 01:11 AM
2010 is the year, didnt we also run an initiative in 98' with the goal being to win the WC this year. Dont look like they did what they needed to do, we will see

It takes a LOT to win a World Cup. Brazil and Spain will have 3rd team All-World players on their bench. The only player that even has an argument to be 3rd team All-World on the US team is Donovan.

That said, this is the first time in the modern era of US soccer that the US is expected by the rest of the world to make it out of group play. So there is progress. It would have helpred a lot if Freddy Adu actually became a useful player on a big club instead of languishing at Aris or wherever he is now. There are other good young players on this team though (Altidore, Spector, Bradley), but only Altidore has anything close to a shot at become a world-class player.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 01:13 AM
We have a ton of young talent, in reality 14' may be the year but can Donovan still be a good player in 4 more years?

tommieharris91
6/10/2010, 01:18 AM
We have a ton of young talent, in reality 14' may be the year but can Donovan still be a good player in 4 more years?

Donovan and Dempsey can still probably play international-level soccer (barring major injuries), but they will be near their last legs then. Gooch probably won't be around by then. But, I'm sure Davies, Altidore, Specs, etc. will develop.

Then again, there's no way Brazil or Argentina let the 2014 Cup out of South America.

Collier11
6/10/2010, 01:21 AM
Yea, itll be tough. Just looking at our roster though, if Dempsey and Donovan can play at a high level in 4 more years, that may be our best team

Scott D
6/10/2010, 05:37 AM
True, but Michael Owen also had to play for Newcastle. :D ;)

yeah but he started breaking down while still at Liverpool :D

Scott D
6/10/2010, 05:48 AM
Donovan will likely start declining in 2-3 years. Dempsey should be slightly fresher if for no other reason than he's picked up an injury here and there over that span.

It's strange I guess, in Europe they start player development in Acadamies as early as 11-12 years old. In Brasil and Argentina kids play soccer and futsol there the way that kids play basketball here, and baseball in the Dominican Republic.

One of the most interesting stories is how Lionel Messi ended up at Barcelona. Basically the club agreed to pay for treatment for his growth hormone deficiency. So he and his family moved from Argentina to Spain. I remember at one point there was a debate as to whether Messi would choose to represent Argentina or Spain as an international player since he's been living in Spain since he was 14 years old.

Some interesting watching for me on TV recently have been a couple of shows on Fox Soccer Channel and GolTV based around player development. The one on GolTV has Zinedine Zidane as a 'judge' and is a reality show where one can vote players off the team after there is a vote by the team to save players. They focus on fundamentals and developing a team mentality that you don't normally see.

JLEW1818
6/10/2010, 08:34 PM
USA +450 vs England.

(risk 1 dollar to win 4.50, and so on)

silverwheels
6/10/2010, 10:16 PM
England 2-1 USA

If I had to guess. Hopefully we rebound and win the two games I won't be able to watch. :mad:

KC//CRIMSON
6/11/2010, 01:25 PM
England 2-1 USA

If I had to guess.

Ditto.

Collier11
6/11/2010, 02:25 PM
Ha ha, mexico sucks

Scott D
6/11/2010, 02:35 PM
I'm trying to remember the last time the host nation didn't make it into the round of 16.

TUSooner
6/11/2010, 03:30 PM
After Day 1:
At least Mexico and France did not win. That's about the best I can say so far. And vuvuzelas are instruments of evil.

Collier11
6/11/2010, 03:33 PM
I'm trying to remember the last time the host nation didn't make it into the round of 16.

Mexico top 20, SA ranked in the 50s

silverwheels
6/11/2010, 03:46 PM

Hasn't happened yet, I don't think.

TUSooner
6/11/2010, 04:24 PM
After Day 1:
At least Mexico and France did not win. That's about the best I can say so far. And vuvuzelas are instruments of evil.

Wait. That was pathetic. I'm very sorry.
The best thing?
IT'S THE FRIKKING WORLD CUP and it's JUST STARTING Wooooo-hooooooo !!!!
I'm going to the Crown & Anchor tomorrow to watch the USA vs England. I think that is the most British place in New Orleans. I have never cheered against either team, and I honestly donlt know how I'll react to the game tomorrow. I mean, I want to be for our guys, but I have been for England in all the years when the USA was out of it or never even in it, and I'm sure I'm the most Anglophilic poster on SF.com. The beer will be great anyway!

silverwheels
6/11/2010, 06:32 PM
Don't cheer against your own country.

JLEW1818
6/11/2010, 07:33 PM
Anybody in the Dallas area come on down to The Londoner Pub - Addison, Texas

GottaHavePride
6/11/2010, 10:28 PM
Man, that France / Uruguay game was ugly.

JLEW1818
6/12/2010, 08:23 AM
Game Day bitches

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2010, 09:25 AM
Diego Maradona is the Ozzie Guillen of football.

Discuss.

TUSooner
6/12/2010, 09:50 AM
Diego Maradona is the Ozzie Guillen of football.

Discuss.

No English speaker can understand either one?
:D
I'll grant they are both loud in the mouth, but I don't recall Guillen being a cheater.

JLEW1818
6/12/2010, 10:08 AM
my Gooch jersey is on!!!

StoopTroup
6/12/2010, 10:49 AM
Gooch=cooch

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 10:12 AM
wow no post game talk?

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 10:54 AM
How about "Slovenia and Algeria aren't that good. The goal Algeria gave up was about as bad as Robert Green's yesterday."

Really, it's because the board was down after the game.

Ohh and there's speculation that Howard has a broken rib.

silverwheels
6/13/2010, 11:53 AM
I saw on ESPN that Howard expects to play on Friday against Slovenia, who looked slightly less ****ty than Algeria today. I will be really disappointed if we don't advance.

badger
6/13/2010, 12:09 PM
After watching the crap four years ago I will take a tie with the Brits :D

The fact that the tie was only because of a questionable goal and that we only took one goal shot in the second half? Motivation to do better in later games, but does not change the fact that we tied a European team! Holy crap, a European team!

:D way to go, USA

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 12:38 PM
need to win the bracket !!!

I'm just now sober! :D

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 01:23 PM
wow no post game talk?

Yeah, it was boring as hell!

How's that for some post game soccer talk? :P

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 01:23 PM
Wake me up when Brazil or someone worth a crap plays.

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 01:47 PM
Ghana beating Serbia today makes winning the group a lot more relevant.

In the Germany/Australia game, a German just got a yellow for diving.

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 01:47 PM
Wake me up when Brazil or someone worth a crap plays.

England and Argentina are usually worth a crap.

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 02:24 PM
England and Argentina are usually worth a crap.

Argentina yes, England no.

England is comprised of short slow white guys with no necks, except they always have some freakishly tall, giraffe-looking striker that can't run out of sight in a day.

Germany is playing right now - they would fall in the worth a crap category.

England...LOL.

JLEW1818
6/13/2010, 02:26 PM
i picked the Germans, good beer.

silverwheels
6/13/2010, 02:27 PM
Germany looks really good so far, except on defense. Oz can't possess the ball and pass it like Die Mannschaft.

Curly Bill
6/13/2010, 02:28 PM
i picked the Germans, good beer.

The Germans are always a decent pick.

Collier11
6/13/2010, 03:01 PM
Argentina is my pick, we did luck out a bit but sometimes you need to get the breaks. Remember, if the refs make the correct call on a hand ball 2 WCs ago we probably woulda been in the semi's.

We need to take care of business now and beat two teams that we are better than

silverwheels
6/13/2010, 03:30 PM
I don't think Argentina has the defense to win it all, and Maradona is not a good manager.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 03:51 PM
Argentina depends on whether Messi can find the back of the net.

Scott D
6/13/2010, 05:50 PM
Maradona is a terrible manager, Argentina has the individual defenders to be strong defensively, but too often they try to play Joga Bonita when it may not suit them. But, team selection and tactics are questionable. They might as well play a 4-3-3 and start both Milito and Higuain with Messi up front and put Tevez on the left with Mascherano in a holding role. At least I didn't have to see hide nor hair of the invisible man their first match.

TUSooner
6/13/2010, 08:28 PM
Maradona is a terrible manager, Argentina has the individual defenders to be strong defensively, but too often they try to play Joga Bonita when it may not suit them. But, team selection and tactics are questionable. They might as well play a 4-3-3 and start both Milito and Higuain with Messi up front and put Tevez on the left with Mascherano in a holding role. At least I didn't have to see hide nor hair of the invisible man their first match.

I pretty much agree, but at this point, I think the Argies are probably ready to put all the talk and hoo-hah behind tham and play ball. I've never really liked them in general or Mara-prima-dona in particular, for various reasons; but I think they will get their act togther and make it to the semis at least. I don't think even Maradona can keep Messi and Tevez from dazzling once they decide to get down to business. Of course, they may have to win a game 5-4 along the way.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2010, 09:44 PM
Just watched the second half of that Germany / Aussie game. That got ugly fast.

tommieharris91
6/13/2010, 09:58 PM
Just watched the second half of that Germany / Aussie game. That got ugly fast.

That was a terrible red on Cahill. Really harsh. First time there's been any doubt about the refs in this World Cup.

ouleaf
6/14/2010, 11:35 AM
Argentina depends on whether Messi can find the back of the net.

He is probably my favorite player to watch. I'd be surprised if he doesn't score soon. He had plenty of quality shots in the last match, just didn't connect.

Germany looked really good against the Aussies. Granted it was Australia they were playing, but they just made them look silly. Good flow to their game, able to advance the ball up the field and often getting guys open past the defenders. A really great showing for them.

Can't be dissapointed with a tie for the USA. Hopefully Altidore can bring more of what he showed on those few runs he was able to make. Howard was definitely the MVP for us though. Hopefully Bradley will get the team to attack more in the next match. We seemed awfully concerned with keeping more guys back to defend when England was bringing up extra strikers and getting more shots on goal.

badger
6/14/2010, 12:30 PM
Help a casual fan out - does only the winner of the bracket advance, or can more than one team from a bracket advance.

So, can both England and USA advance, or can only England or only USA?

TUSooner
6/14/2010, 12:49 PM
Help a casual fan out - does only the winner of the bracket advance, or can more than one team from a bracket advance.

Top 2 advance from each group. :)

Scott D
6/14/2010, 01:56 PM
That was a terrible red on Cahill. Really harsh. First time there's been any doubt about the refs in this World Cup.

it was a harsh call, and I'd be shocked if Oz doesn't appeal it. Cahill should have gotten a yellow for it, but not a straight red.

What scares me with Germany is with the exception of mainly Klose, they are a very young squad and we're looking at the core of the German team including the keeper that will be on the 2014 and 2018 squads easily. They're only going to get better.

Messi gave all the credit in their match to the Nigerian goalkeeper. When he gets on track, be scared. He should continue to get good service, so it depends on how strongly they keep possession. I also wanted to reiterate that the best move Diego Maradona has done was to leave Juan Roman Riquelme off the squad.

GrapevineSooner
6/14/2010, 02:01 PM
it was a harsh call, and I'd be shocked if Oz doesn't appeal it. Cahill should have gotten a yellow for it, but not a straight red.

What scares me with Germany is with the exception of mainly Klose, they are a very young squad and we're looking at the core of the German team including the keeper that will be on the 2014 and 2018 squads easily. They're only going to get better.

Messi gave all the credit in their match to the Nigerian goalkeeper. When he gets on track, be scared. He should continue to get good service, so it depends on how strongly they keep possession.

I think, like Alexei Lalas said, if that was in the EPL, it would have been a yellow. In the World Cup, it's a different game.

And to be fair, the Socceroos seemed to be more interested in beating the Germans up physically as opposed to trying to defend them straight up.

Scott D
6/14/2010, 02:07 PM
I think anywhere other than the World Cup and it's a yellow.

silverwheels
6/14/2010, 04:50 PM

Top two teams from each group advance.

What the knockout stage will look like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_knockout_stage). So two teams from the same group can't meet until the Final.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 06:37 PM
this is the real thread, kill that other one. :D

Collier11
6/14/2010, 06:46 PM
Italy almost blew it today, Cameroon was stunned...lots of surprising 1st games

tommieharris91
6/14/2010, 07:12 PM
Italy almost blew it today, Cameroon was stunned...lots of surprising 1st games

Italy and Paraguay drawing was a bigger upset than USA and England drawing.

JLEW1818
6/14/2010, 07:14 PM
for sure

badger
6/15/2010, 11:05 AM
We play early Friday morning. I'm going to have to commute during the end of the game. :(

silverwheels
6/15/2010, 04:08 PM
I'll be in class for our last two group games and won't get to watch them.

TUSooner
6/15/2010, 06:15 PM
I'll be in class for our last two group games and won't get to watch them.

Me too, if you call a seminar on the US Sentencing Guidelines a class. I just hope the hotel has good wireless so I can watch on ESPN3.

badger
6/16/2010, 10:42 AM
Every opening round game I've seen ended in a tie! In the case of Ivory Coast versus Portugal, it was a nil-nil tie! booo.

Collier11
6/16/2010, 10:54 AM
1st mega upset of the WC, Spain goes down...wowzers

ouleaf
6/16/2010, 11:12 AM
ROFL at Spain.

JLEW1818
6/16/2010, 01:00 PM
Spain lol

tommieharris91
6/16/2010, 01:19 PM
Slovenia is going to play USA and England the same way the Swiss played Spain. A defensive style, looking to counterattack whenever possible. If you can't break the bunker, you will expect to lose.

It's strange that a lot of good teams like Brazil are playing defensive styles. It makes for favorites dominating everywhere but the scoreboard. It can also lead to a lot of upsets.

Switzerland did play a little more open that I thought they would though, especially after they scored.

GottaHavePride
6/16/2010, 01:34 PM

Well, that and the double-yellow right off the bat in the Ivory Coast / Portugal game.

TUSooner
6/16/2010, 03:21 PM
I finally saw Forlan's first goal vs S Africa. Was that ball doing some funky stuff after it deflected and gained a little top-spin?!?

TUSooner
6/16/2010, 03:26 PM
this is the real thread, kill that other one. :D

I concede this is true. The SO is not big enough for 2 soccer threads.
<shakes head sadly>

GottaHavePride
6/16/2010, 04:02 PM
I finally saw Forlan's first goal vs S Africa. Was that ball doing some funky stuff after it deflected and gained a little top-spin?!?

I don't recall that - actually I think this new ball deflects less than the old ones - fewer and smaller seams to grab the air. I think that's why everyone's shots have been flying high and long so far.

SoonerFrog
6/16/2010, 07:55 PM
It may also be the reason that so many high crosses are being overcooked and go out for throwins. Other than Klose's goal...can't recall a near post header on target.

badger
6/17/2010, 10:46 AM
NP and I watched a replay (or at the first 55 minutes of it) of Swiss vs. Espanny. Spain seems incredibly organized and talented, but when the ball was about to go into the goal, they were tackling, grabbing and swiping at the legs to try to prevent it, only for another Swiss guy to make the final kick.

(I called it 'illegal block in the back' and 'chop blocking,' since it's football and all, hehe)

When I picture soccer in Europe, I picture college football in the SEC - a bunch of longtime rivals with a lot of hate (futbol-hate, not actual-hate of course, but its hard to tell the difference sometimes, lol) for eachother, ready to gloat forever after a big win. It was like Iowa State taking down Nebraska last year... it was like Ole Miss taking down Florida the year before. Probably nobody slept in Switzerland last night :D

TUSooner
6/17/2010, 12:21 PM
I don't recall that - actually I think this new ball deflects less than the old ones - fewer and smaller seams to grab the air. I think that's why everyone's shots have been flying high and long so far.

I think the visual patterns might make optical illusions of movement.

badger
6/17/2010, 12:35 PM
This is my understanding of soccer rules...

1- Little goalie box is the box where you are disallowed from goalie interference. You interfere with the goalie, ref will give the ball to the goalie's team.

2- Big goalie box is the danger zone area where goalies can still use their hands, but any penalties against the defense will result in an uncontested, goalie vs. kicker penalty kick.

3- Only some members of the team can cross into the opponent's side of the field, whereas all members of the team can remain on its own side of the field

4- Offisides occurs when you try to sneak past a defender (not including the goalie) without the ball, so that you can't camp at the goal all game like Wilt Chamberlain underneath the basket, lol

5- Touching the ball with any part of your arms is disallowed, unless it's unintentional or you're a goalie inside the big box.

6- Corner kicks are for the team on offense after the defense kicks the ball past the baseline of its own goal or to the corner area.

7- When refs wave around a yellow card at protesting players, this is the ref's way of saying "keep whining and you get one." Why can't all officiating be this efficient and as end-all as receiving a yellow/red card?

Please tell me if I am mistaken in regards to FIFA play. Are there any other weird rules I should be aware of? I think I have the divegrass aspect of the game down - dive to the grass, and wait for the ref to blow his whistle :D

JLEW1818
6/17/2010, 12:55 PM
big game tomorrow

Scott D
6/17/2010, 01:23 PM
every player can cross midfield at pretty much anytime baj, it's just not recommended for goalies to do it. But you'll find that on a corner kick, usually everyone except the one goalkeeper is at one end of the field.

cards are usually given for major fouls. managers can get carded for protesting too much, but usually the play on the field dictates if/when players get carded.

Scott D
6/17/2010, 01:26 PM
I also wanted to say, if there is a worse manager in the WC than Diego Maradona it is Raymond Domenech.

tommieharris91
6/17/2010, 01:55 PM
1- Little goalie box is the box where you are disallowed from goalie interference. You interfere with the goalie, ref will give the ball to the goalie's team.

2- Big goalie box is the danger zone area where goalies can still use their hands, but any penalties against the defense will result in an uncontested, goalie vs. kicker penalty kick.
Yea, mostly. Sometimes I don't even understand why the crease exists in soccer.

3- Only some members of the team can cross into the opponent's side of the field, whereas all members of the team can remain on its own side of the field
Not true. It's simply strategy. Anyone can go anywhere, it's just that when you bring up all of your players you leave yourself wide open to an opponent's fast break.

4- Offisides occurs when you try to sneak past a defender (not including the goalie) without the ball, so that you can't camp at the goal all game like Wilt Chamberlain underneath the basket, lol
That's the spirit of the offside rule. The rule is basically that there must be at least two opposing players between the player receiving the ball and the goal when the ball is kicked.

5- Touching the ball with any part of your arms is disallowed, unless it's unintentional or you're a goalie inside the big box.
That's the handball rule. Additionally, if a handball looks intentional, it's usually worth a yellow card.

6- Corner kicks are for the team on offense after the defense kicks the ball past the baseline of its own goal or to the corner area.

yep

7- When refs wave around a yellow card at protesting players, this is the ref's way of saying "keep whining and you get one." Why can't all officiating be this efficient and as end-all as receiving a yellow/red card?
It's more like "keep whining and you get a red." Whining to a ref in soccer is a lot like arguing balls and strikes to an ump in baseball.

Please tell me if I am mistaken in regards to FIFA play. Are there any other weird rules I should be aware of? I think I have the divegrass aspect of the game down - dive to the grass, and wait for the ref to blow his whistle
Tackling rules: They're simple. The first questions is "Did you get the ball?" If you end up touching the ball on a challenge, you shouldn't be called for a foul. If you miss the ball, depending on how much leg you got, you'll be called for a foul and you might see a card. Really ugly challenges that completely miss the ball (are "late") and go into the legs with the cleats are usually worthy of reds. Challenges where legs get stepped on have broken bones and ended careers (kinda like spearing in football).

Collier11
6/17/2010, 01:58 PM
Offsides is the most retarded rule EVAR! I understand that you dont want any 'cherry pickers' or 'snow birders' as it is called in basketball and I agree but if a offensive player just beats the defensive player I dont see the issue with that

Scott D
6/17/2010, 02:22 PM
Well Collier, consider it like a false start, because that's pretty much what it is. Just like you have to time the snap, you have to time your run.

Collier11
6/17/2010, 02:33 PM
True but a smart defender can manipulate that rule

Scott D
6/17/2010, 02:40 PM
and on occasion, some have. How it's called most times comes down to the position of the assistant referee who is running up and down half the field trying to stay in the position where a player would be going offside.

badger
6/17/2010, 03:03 PM
Well Collier, consider it like a false start, because that's pretty much what it is. Just like you have to time the snap, you have to time your run.

:( but I want Tim Tebow sacked NOW! why wait till the ball is snapped?

Curly Bill
6/17/2010, 04:12 PM
Offsides is the most retarded rule EVAR! I understand that you dont want any 'cherry pickers' or 'snow birders' as it is called in basketball and I agree but if a offensive player just beats the defensive player I dont see the issue with that

Yep, I totally agree.

TUSooner
6/17/2010, 06:07 PM
Speaking of offside... How could that Mexican guy have been on when he scored that first goal ?!? When I finally saw the replay, I thought he was maybe a step off, but at live speed, I could see how the AR could miss it. Really, it was a brilliant play anyway.

And yes, Domenech is awful, while Maradona's players will probably get him off the hook into the Final. Maradona must have the same agent as Les Miles in his dealings with the Devil.

GottaHavePride
6/17/2010, 07:49 PM
YEah, after today Maradona looks like some kind of genius. In reality, he's just got Messi on his team.

Scott D
6/18/2010, 01:35 AM
I believe France is 0 fer without Zinedine Zidane in their lineup in World Cup matches since Zidane first made the French National Team. I'd be hard pressed to see how Domenech survives one day beyond the round robin stage.

HBick
6/18/2010, 01:35 AM
just over 7 hours gentlemen.

good news, we decided to keep drinking until the match starts. the best part about having friends is that they'll ride the wave of debauchery in the name of AMERICA with you

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 08:12 AM
I believe France is 0 fer without Zinedine Zidane in their lineup in World Cup matches since Zidane first made the French National Team. I'd be hard pressed to see how Domenech survives one day beyond the round robin stage.

I think he was going to retire anyway.

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2010, 09:43 AM
Is anyone else watching this? Geezus, we're horrible.

Scott D
6/18/2010, 10:05 AM
what a break for Donovan

Scott D
6/18/2010, 10:06 AM
I think he was going to retire anyway.

He isn't going to get a chance to retire. The amount of talent on that France squad is insane, the fact that Domenech can't do anything with it is mind numbing.

badger
6/18/2010, 10:32 AM
Is anyone else watching this? Geezus, we're horrible.

I really, really though Donovan would get it in on that free kick a few minutes ago, then I really, really thought that his teammate would get it through seconds later when their wall broke... but the slovenia goalie caught his punt. Crap.

Co-worker's like "What are you oooo -ing about?" And I'm like "Soccer."

Soccer apparently is nothing to ooo about ;)

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2010, 10:39 AM
That goal deserves an "oooo!"

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2010, 10:39 AM
Too bad we're going to settle for the tie now. :mad:

badger
6/18/2010, 10:43 AM
stupid offsides grumble grumble should be up 3-2 now, grumble grumble

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2010, 10:44 AM
These refs are killing me.

KC//CRIMSON
6/18/2010, 10:48 AM
Too bad we're going to settle for the tie now. :mad:

Too bad the ref is going to settle for a tie.

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2010, 10:49 AM
Too bad the ref is going to settle for a tie.

I watch soccer for one month once every 4 years, but aren't these refs supposed to be like the best in the world? wtf?

tommieharris91
6/18/2010, 10:51 AM
I believe this ref went to the Gordon Riese school of officiating.

GKeeper316
6/18/2010, 10:54 AM
bad refs are dream killers.

tommieharris91
Now that England/Algeria game is important to us. Really, any result except England winning by multiple goals is good for the US.

badger
what sucks about futbol but not college football:

ties.

NO ties! Ties suck!

HBick
6/18/2010, 11:01 AM
The African ref also moonlights for the Pac-10

KC//CRIMSON
6/18/2010, 11:02 AM
what a break for Donovan

That was a screamer, keeper didn't want any part of that one.

JLEW1818
6/18/2010, 01:17 PM
ok, explain what we want to happen.

tommieharris91
6/18/2010, 01:22 PM
ok, explain what we want to happen.

A tie between England and Algeria is best. Preferably 0-0. That give the US the most outs to advancement.

badger
6/18/2010, 02:36 PM
Casual fan question-

If both points and goal differential is equal for the second and third place teams in a group, what is the third tiebreaker? A soccer game to the death? :D

HBick
6/18/2010, 02:44 PM
Casual fan question-

If both points and goal differential is equal for the second and third place teams in a group, what is the third tiebreaker? A soccer game to the death? :D

that'd be the best scenario, but the rest of the world doesn't like anything to the death. i blame it on the rest of the world not being nearly as cool as us.

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2010, 03:22 PM
A week into this thing the traditional European soccer powers (France, Spain, England, Italy, Germany) have all been very disappointing. Anyone have any insight into this?

Eielson
6/18/2010, 03:29 PM
Doesn't a win against Algeria basically make us a lock to advance?

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 04:14 PM
Casual fan question-

Greatest number of goals scored in group matches among tied teams.

A week into this thing the traditional European soccer powers (France, Spain, England, Italy, Germany) have all been very disappointing. Anyone have any insight into this?

Some of them aren't as good as they used to be, some teams have injured stars, some teams have chemistry problems, and the rest of the world is catching up.

Doesn't a win against Algeria basically make us a lock to advance?

Yes. Win and we're in. Draw and we need Slovenia to beat England. Lose and we're out.

tommieharris91
6/18/2010, 04:51 PM
Casual fan question-

The next tie breaker is goals scored. After that it's whoever is ahead in the BCS rankings.

tommieharris91
6/18/2010, 04:52 PM

Typical when the WC isn't held in Europe. That and France isn't that good to begin with.

GottaHavePride
6/18/2010, 05:27 PM
France has a TON of talent - the French people I know just want a different coach.

Actually Germany's first game looked unstoppable (even though they were only playing against 10 men for half the match). If Argentina keeps playing like they did against S. Korea, they could win this going away.

Brazil didn't look very inspired in their first game, either.

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 06:06 PM
Still a lot of soccer left to be played. The knockout rounds are a totally different animal.

GottaHavePride
6/18/2010, 06:18 PM
OK, side rant: is it just me or does Altidore look lazy?

There were a few times in the first half (notably around the 25' mark) where Slovenia played the ball back to a defender but put way too soft a touch on the ball. Now, if they had done that against Messi, he would have chased the ball down and cut it off before it got to the defender, but Altidore always slowed to a jog and just let th defender take it.

Hell, if he goes and challenges that ball, the only Slovenian in front of him would have been the goalkeeper! Why is he not hauling *** down the field? That's his damn job!

That's also a beef I have with our team in general. Our guys seem to like standing around in their positions, while other teams collectively haul *** up and down the field trying to get an advantage in numbers. Every time we push the ball downfield to our strikers it winds up two guys against 8 defenders. Why is no one else pushing forward to help?

JLEW1818
6/18/2010, 06:30 PM
win and in.

and we haven't even won a game yet.

i like

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 06:36 PM

There were a few times in the first half (notably around the 25' mark) where Slovenia played the ball back to a defender but put way too soft a touch on the ball. Now, if they had done that against Messi, he would have chased the ball down and cut it off before it got to the defender, but Altidore always slowed to a jog and just let th defender take it.

Hell, if he goes and challenges that ball, the only Slovenian in front of him would have been the goalkeeper! Why is he not hauling *** down the field? That's his damn job!

That's also a beef I have with our team in general. Our guys seem to like standing around in their positions, while other teams collectively haul *** up and down the field trying to get an advantage in numbers. Every time we push the ball downfield to our strikers it winds up two guys against 8 defenders. Why is no one else pushing forward to help?

Duh, they're lazy Americans. :D

GottaHavePride
6/18/2010, 06:39 PM
YOU RACK DISCIPRINE!

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 06:45 PM
Really though, some players get it and some don't. Or maybe Bradley isn't drilling it into them enough.

Scott D
6/18/2010, 07:46 PM

That was one of the knocks on Altidore when he finished his loan to Hull City.

Dowie though has been impressed with Altidore yet believes he needs to improve in training if he's to become a top player.

"I've spoken to Jozy [Altidore] a number of times since I've been here and, if Jozy can train the way he plays, I think he's got a great opportunity but he needs to understand that it's day in, day out,” added Dowie.

“He's a lovely, laid-back boy and there's no bad side to him but he needs to focus on training at a better level. You've got to stretch yourself every day in training.

Scott D
6/18/2010, 07:47 PM
France has a TON of talent - the French people I know just want a different coach.

Actually Germany's first game looked unstoppable (even though they were only playing against 10 men for half the match). If Argentina keeps playing like they did against S. Korea, they could win this going away.

Brazil didn't look very inspired in their first game, either.

ya, we covered France earlier and how Domenech makes Maradona look like Marcelo Lippi.

TUSooner
6/18/2010, 09:41 PM
Got the yard work done this evening so tomorrow I can enjoy a WC triple in peace in the morning.
I'll be pulling for Holland, Aussie, and Denmark, but I think the winners will be Holland, Ghana and Cameroon. I just hope they all play like any team but Sorry Old England. :(

Scott D
6/19/2010, 12:11 PM
The funny thing with Cameroon is which Cameroon will show up, and more to the point which Samuel Eto'o will show up.

For me right now the funniest story is Raymond Domenech dismissing Nicolas Anelka from the team. Everyone not named Raymond Domenech is questioning the guy's tactical decisions and team selection. Seriously, Anelka would play better off of Theirry Henry than Sidney Govou, how this idiot doesn't see it is beyond me.

Forward Nicolas Anelka Kicked Off France's Soccer Team

NYSNA, South Africa—Nicolas Anelka has been thrown out of France's World Cup squad after insulting coach Raymond Domenech and refusing to apologize, the French football federation said Saturday.

The Chelsea striker reportedly made obscene comments to Mr. Domenech at halftime during the 2-0 loss to Mexico on Thursday, and then refused to apologize when asked to do so by FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes.

"Faced by the refusal of the player to publicly apologize, he (Mr. Escalettes) took the decision in total agreement with the coach and the official members of the delegation present in Knysna to exclude Nicolas Anelka from the squad," the FFF said in a statement. "He will leave the French team camp this evening."

The FFF said that France captain Patrice Evra was also present with Mr. Escalettes when the decision was taken, adding that Mr. Anelka's comments are "totally unacceptable for the FFF, French football and the values it defends."

Two unconvincing performances in the 0-0 draw with Uruguay and against Mexico had observers like former France defender Bixente Lizarazu furious at Mr. Anelka's casual attitude.

"What bothers me is Nicolas Anelka's performance in the first half. I saw a player strolling ... strolling in the World Cup!" Mr. Lizarazu said. "He wasn't aggressive, wasn't interested in the game. Domenech took him off at the break, but should have done so before. You shouldn't play in a selfish manner, you have to show you're up for it."

Mr. Anelka has long been an enigmatic player for France, scoring twice in a stunning performance against England way back in 1999, but then refused to play under coach Jacques Santini and spent three years off the national team until Mr. Domenech called him back up in November, 2005.

Six months later, Mr. Domenech snubbed him for the 2006 squad. But Mr. Anelka seemed to have put that all of that behind him when he scored a deflected goal away to Ireland in the World Cup playoff last November.

Having won two English league and cup doubles, with Chelsea this season and with Arsenal 12 years ago, the Premier League's Golden Boot in the 2008-09 season, the European Championship with France and the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2000, Mr. Anelka's last-remaining ambition was to be a World Cup star.

Mr. Anelka was overlooked by Aime Jacquet in 1998 because the coach thought he was too young.

He won Euro 2000 under coach Roger Lemerre, who subsequently did not pick him for the 2002 World Cup because he took Djibril Cisse, Thierry Henry, and David Trezeguet—the top scorers from the French, English and Italian leagues.

Mr. Domenech's decision to snub Anelka in 2006 was more surprising because he had recalled him from his international exile. But even when Mr. Cisse broke his leg on the eve of the World Cup, Mr. Domenech called up Sidney Govou.

Ironically, it was precisely because Mr. Anelka did not want to be a replacement for the injured Mr. Govou for a friendly match against Yugoslavia in November 2002 that he had turned his back on Mr. Santini's team.

Mr. Anelka then told Paris Match magazine that he would only return if Mr. Santini got on his knees and begged.

To add further irony, Mr. Govou and Mr. Anelka played up front together against Uruguay and Mexico—and failed miserably.

Mr. Anelka's unselfish attitude for Chelsea this season won him many admirers, and his reputation greatly improved since the days English football fans mockingly nicknamed him "Le Sulk" for his surly attitude.

However, his abrupt nature has made him few friends in a topsy-turvy career where he always spoke his mind.

His criticism of Mr. Domenech's lack of tactical awareness when France lost 2-0 to European champion Spain in March was perhaps an ominous sign of things to come.

—Copyright 2010 Associated Press

GrapevineSooner
6/19/2010, 12:26 PM
Everything that has happened to zee French in this World Cup is karmic justice as far as I'm concerned.

That having been said, Bruce Bowen's identical French twin is right to tactically question Domenech. :)

TUSooner
6/19/2010, 12:51 PM
Everything that has happened to zee French in this World Cup is karmic justice as far as I'm concerned....
Exactally.

silverwheels
6/19/2010, 03:24 PM
Denmark beat Cameroon 2-1, making the Indomitable Lions the first team officially eliminated from the 2010 World Cup.

Eielson
6/19/2010, 03:59 PM
That having been said, Bruce Bowen's identical French twin is right to tactically question Domenech. :)

I think if he shaved that mustache he would look a bit like Lamar Odom.

TUSooner
6/19/2010, 06:47 PM
It sounds like Anelka needed to go, but he's just the tip of the iceberg that's sinking Les Bleus.

Scott D
6/20/2010, 09:26 AM
Oh and the phrase in question was "Go **** yourself, you son of a whore."

silverwheels
6/20/2010, 11:03 AM
LOL Italy. I was hoping for a loss, but a draw will do. Good job, Kiwis.

Scott D
6/20/2010, 12:04 PM
it's now been over 6 and a half months since Italy has won a match.

And in other news, the final nail in Domenech's coffin has been placed.

France disarray as squad refuse to train

• Players opposed to decision to send Anelka home
• Team director Jean-Louis Valentin resigns in disgust

France's chaotic World Cup descended towards a full-scale player revolt this afternoon after the players refused to train in a show of support for the exiled Nicolas Anelka, prompting the national team director Jean-Louis Valentin to quit in disgust.

The team arrived at training today but a few minutes after taking the field fitness coach Robert Duverne stormed away, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground, apparently after an argument with team captain Patrice Evra.

The players then left the training ground and boarded the team bus, in which they had a meeting with Domenech behind closed curtains.

The France squad then released a statement which read: "All players in the France squad without exception want to declare their opposition to the decision taken by the French Football Federation to exclude Nicolas Anelka from the squad.

"If we regret the incident which occurred at half-time of the match between France and Mexico, we regret even more the leak of an event which should have remained within the group and which is quite common in a high-level team.

"At the request of the squad, the player in question attempted to have dialogue but his approach was ignored. For its part, the French Football Federation has at no time tried to protect the squad. It has made a decision [to send Anelka home] without consulting all the players, on the basis of the facts reported by the press.

"Accordingly, and to mark the opposition to those at the highest level of French football, all the players decided not to train today. Out of respect for the public who came to attend training, we decided to go to meet the fans who, by their presence, showed their full support. For our part, we are aware of our responsibilities as those wearing the colours of our country. Also for those we have towards our fans and countless children who keep Les Bleus as role models.

"We forget none of our duties. We will do everything individually and also in a collective spirit to ensure that France regains its honour with a positive performance on Tuesday."

The statement was read out by Domenech and comes after the squad refused to train.

Valentin announced his resignation after revealing the squad did not want to train. "Ask the players, they do not want to involve themselves any more. It's unacceptable," Valentin said.

"They don't want to train. It's a scandal for the French, it's a scandal for the federation and the French team.

"It is a shame. As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted.

"Under these conditions, I've decided to return to Paris and to resign."

The French team is in disarray after striker Nicolas Anelka was sent home after reports of a foul-mouthed tirade at Domenech, whose tactics and management skills have been called into question.

Domenech justified the decision to send Anelka home, saying the striker had refused to apologise for the outburst.

silverwheels
6/20/2010, 12:11 PM
Repeat of 2002 for France.

badger
6/20/2010, 12:11 PM
So we were just watching ESPN's little soccer roundup and they had a French journalist on for a live phone interview. ESPN was definitely live, because the guy directly quoted the ousted French player in what he said to the French coach, in French, then English, which was "Go f--- yourself, you dirty son of a whorn."

(replace n with e, of course)

And wow, did that catch the ESPN guy offguard. A few minutes later, he said that it was a direct quote and that ESPN apologizes to any viewers that were offended by the language.

Of course, Frenchie writer had such a thick accent that I didn't initially understand him... but there you go :D

EDIT: Someone already has it on ESPN. Link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKc5U5ut-vM). Watch at about 0:25. Reporter said "bitch" instead of "whorn." Dude probably isn't English fluent, sounds like he thought about it for a second before actually saying the words, haha

Eielson
6/20/2010, 12:21 PM
"Go f--- yourself, you dirty son of a whorn."

I was shocked by the harshness of what he said until I read this:

(replace n with e, of course)

TUSooner
6/20/2010, 05:06 PM
Wow. Thank you, Freance, for giving us something more interesting than vuvzelas, shameful fakers, and disappointing ties to talk about!

Speaking of fakers, soccer needs to have enforcers like hockey has - someone whose main job is to threaten the other side with brute force. That Ivorian dip-**** who grabbed in his face and rolled around on the grass needed someone to punch him in the face until he puked. Then he wouldn;t have been faking. No wonder so many Americans don't like the WC. :rolleyes: :mad: I've seen more manly play from 16-year-old girls.

illinisooner
6/20/2010, 09:02 PM
Wow. Thank you, Freance, for giving us something more interesting than vuvzelas, shameful fakers, and disappointing ties to talk about!

Speaking of fakers, soccer needs to have enforcers like hockey has - someone whose main job is to threaten the other side with brute force. That Ivorian dip-**** who grabbed in his face and rolled around on the grass needed someone to punch him in the face until he puked. Then he wouldn;t have been faking. No wonder so many Americans don't like the WC. :rolleyes: :mad: I've seen more manly play from 16-year-old girls.

Usually these clowns just get a fine and media embarassment (see, Rivaldo in 2002 vs. Turkey) but they would really crack down on dives/fakers with some sort of video review, post match red card system. Hey Ronaldo, you go down like a sniper hit you when the replay clearly shows there was no contact? Red card, suspended for a game, and big fine! Totti, you grab your face like someone threw acid in it when the replay shows you were kicked in the knee? Red card, suspended for a game, and big fine! Seriously, who would disagree with this? Well, except for all of Italy.

silverwheels
6/20/2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, that's really the only way to handle it without completely overhauling the referee system, which would be difficult and may not even make the game better. I'm all for retroactive punishment in the form of cards, suspensions, and fines.

Collier11
6/20/2010, 10:08 PM
France appears to be giving up, imagine that

JLEW1818
6/20/2010, 10:23 PM
yah, they suck at everything.

quitters!!

badger
6/21/2010, 08:43 AM
wtg Portugal, beating up on those poor North Koreans 7-nil. If this doesn't motivate Kim Jong Il to destroy the world, then I dunno what will.

Well, it was nice knowing you, sf.com, but I'm afraid I did not build a bomb shelter and Reagan's Star Wars program was a bust.

And since you're gonna destroy us all anyway, Kim Jong Il, a rant before you do:

1- Your country might not suck at soccer if you gave a d@mn about any of your country's people besides yourself and your army.

2- Your legion of hired Chinese fans posing as North Korean fans didn't fool anyone. Hell, even Mexicans could afford to make the trip more than North Koreans.

3- Hahahaha, your nation just got embarrassed to the entire world with your pathetic team. Hahahahaha.

OK, bye everyone. Had fun talking soccer!

badger
6/21/2010, 12:43 PM
Ok, looks like the Frenchies are back.

France players go back to training

KNYSNA, South Africa -- France resumed training at the World Cup on Monday, one day after the squad went on strike to protest the French soccer federation's decision to send striker Nicolas Anelka home.

France's team page
For more about Les Bleus and their chances in South Africa this summer, click here.

Monday's session went ahead without any of the drama of Sunday, when captain Patrice Evra had an altercation with the team's physical trainer, one FFF official resigned, and coach Raymond Domenech was put in the embarrassing position of explaining why the players were on strike.

Anelka was thrown out because his clash with Domenech at halftime of last Thursday's 2-0 loss to Mexico was made public by sports daily L'Equipe, which published Anelka's expletives on its front page.

France plays South Africa on Tuesday and must win to stand any chance of reaching the next round. If Mexico and Uruguay draw the other Group A match, France will be eliminated.

France defender Marc Planus sustained a slight knock on his right knee and had to cut short his training session. The injury was not thought to be serious, team spokesman Francois Manardo said.

In Europe, the fast-food chain Quick says it canceled a TV ad featuring Anelka and removed him from all advertising in the chain's French restaurants. Posters featuring the Chelsea striker holding up a burger as if it were a trophy will remain on Paris streets until Wednesday because there's no way to pull them down faster.

Valerie Raynal, head of communication for Quick France, says the decision was taken Monday because his presence "could be badly perceived by our customers."

She says Quick held talks with Anelka's advisers, who agreed to remove him.

Scott D
6/21/2010, 03:13 PM
rumor is that Zidane (although he's denying it) is in the ear of more than a few players, including Anelka.

badger
6/21/2010, 03:23 PM
rumor is that Zidane (although he's denying it) is in the ear of more than a few players, including Anelka.

Dude should have come back for another World Cup. It's not like they could be doing much worse even if he's older and maybe not as fit as the teens/20somethings.

With their current captain moping, who will teach the young frenchies the art of flopping? Are they supposed to go to Italy for flop school, or will some old Frenchman like zen master of the head butt ZZ take these kids under his wing?

KC//CRIMSON
6/21/2010, 03:31 PM
Guess who won't be refereeing anymore World Cup games?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/974/982/102201608_crop_340x234.jpg

Scott D
6/21/2010, 03:38 PM
Dude should have come back for another World Cup. It's not like they could be doing much worse even if he's older and maybe not as fit as the teens/20somethings.

With their current captain moping, who will teach the young frenchies the art of flopping? Are they supposed to go to Italy for flop school, or will some old Frenchman like zen master of the head butt ZZ take these kids under his wing?

The problem with the current crop of French players is that there isn't someone with the magnetism and leadership that both Zidane and Patrick Vieira possess. People question why Vieira isn't on the team, while they didn't Zidane, because it was clear that Zidane's choice to retire had less to do with the head butt he gave Matarazzi (who deserved it to be honest), but more to do with Domenech.

TUSooner
6/21/2010, 08:08 PM
My problem with Zidane's head-butt was that he hit Matarazzi too low. If he wanted to get his red card's worth, he should have mashed the guy's nose and split his lip.

If I manage not to get stuck on jury duty this week, I plan to start drinking beer at the Crown & Anchor at about 0830 Wednesday and simultaneously watch the US & England advance (I hope) to the knock-out rounds

silverwheels
6/21/2010, 08:27 PM
I think an Italian player should get head-butted every game.

JLEW1818
6/21/2010, 08:34 PM
so the round of 16 starts Saturday?

some teams finish pool on Friday? can i read?

tommieharris91
6/21/2010, 09:27 PM
so the round of 16 starts Saturday?

some teams finish pool on Friday? can i read?

Groups A & B finish tomorrow.

KC//CRIMSON
6/21/2010, 11:20 PM
Just caught the replay. Villa, that was a classic.

GottaHavePride
6/22/2010, 12:36 AM
wtg Portugal, beating up on those poor North Koreans 7-nil. If this doesn't motivate Kim Jong Il to destroy the world, then I dunno what will.

Well, it was nice knowing you, sf.com, but I'm afraid I did not build a bomb shelter and Reagan's Star Wars program was a bust.

And since you're gonna destroy us all anyway, Kim Jong Il, a rant before you do:

1- Your country might not suck at soccer if you gave a d@mn about any of your country's people besides yourself and your army.

2- Your legion of hired Chinese fans posing as North Korean fans didn't fool anyone. Hell, even Mexicans could afford to make the trip more than North Koreans.

3- Hahahaha, your nation just got embarrassed to the entire world with your pathetic team. Hahahahaha.

OK, bye everyone. Had fun talking soccer!

To stick it in even deeper, I saw an article...

oh, here it is (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/2010-06-21-north-korea-television_N.htm)

that says Kim Jong Il actually decided to let them broadcast that game live in North Korea. Supposed to be a revenge match since Portugal ended their last World Cup run in 1966 - and was supposed to raise the country's spirits.

Heh.

Heh heh.

Schadenfreude.

jkjsooner
6/22/2010, 09:26 AM
To stick it in even deeper, I saw an article...

oh, here it is (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/2010-06-21-north-korea-television_N.htm)

that says Kim Jong Il actually decided to let them broadcast that game live in North Korea. Supposed to be a revenge match since Portugal ended their last World Cup run in 1966 - and was supposed to raise the country's spirits.

Heh.

Heh heh.

Schadenfreude.

I wonder what's going to happen to the N. Korean players once they get back to their country. I would not want to be one of them. Can you imagine what Hussein's son would have done had it been Iraq prior to the fall of Hussein's regime? I sure hope N Korea isn't the same.

badger
6/22/2010, 10:41 AM
Hell, at least North Korea qualified... somehow... not really sure how... they really suck...

But hey, how bout France? About 10 minutes away from being mathmatically eliminated!

No more Frenchies! No more flops! Soon Euro's exchange rate will DROP DROP DROP! ;)

badger
6/22/2010, 10:54 AM
And with the South Africa one-goal win, both France and South Africa are out. Ah well, at least the vuvzelas went out with a win. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

TUSooner
6/22/2010, 11:32 AM

No more Frenchies! No more flops! Soon Euro's exchange rate will DROP DROP DROP! ;)

That's truly awful, in the most magnificent way. :D

Good riddance to France. Should they fly the team home or just bury them in S. Africa?

My only regret of the day is that South Africa and Uruguay couldn't score enough goals to get SA instead of Mexico into the next round. And don't you know, two of the best matches so far had to be played at the same time.

badger
6/22/2010, 11:37 AM
NP and I watched the original Mighty Ducks movie on Netflix insta-view (a very neat feature if you're a 360/PS3 owner) and the only memorable thing about it was Coach Bombay trying to get his team to win by falling more than the Italians and Frenchies combined.

Bombay: What are we going to do?
Team: Fall down! Act hurt! Get indignant!
Bombat: I can't hear you!
Team: FALL DOWN! ACT HURT! GET INDIGNANT!

JLEW1818
6/22/2010, 08:32 PM
big day tomorrow

silverwheels
6/22/2010, 10:00 PM
I'm going to try and watch the game in class on my iPod. If that doesn't work, then I hope we get frequent breaks.

badger
6/23/2010, 09:05 AM
Watching the first few minutes, but have to head into the office shortly. Not sure what will happen, but hope USA moves on regardless

EDIT: holy cow, algeria hit one off our top bar. nearly down 1-nil only about 5 minutes in. hopefully that wakes our players up

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 09:20 AM
Goal but called offsides for the US

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 09:24 AM
Replay showed that the goal should have counted and we weren't offsides.

Getting screwed again!

:mad:

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 09:37 AM
Many missed opportunities for the US.

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 09:47 AM
0-0 at half

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 09:49 AM
England is up 1-0 on Slovenia, so we need a win.

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 10:15 AM
2 more missed wide open goals for the US. One off of the side bar. :(

badger
6/23/2010, 10:44 AM
This just isn't going to happen, is it :(

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 10:46 AM
Not looking good.

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 10:48 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 10:50 AM
Goal by Donovan in bonus time. Only a little over 2 minutes was remaining.

Boomer.....
6/23/2010, 10:52 AM
USA WINS 1-0!

We went from eliminated to winning Group C with that one goal!

badger
6/23/2010, 11:05 AM
FINISH HIM!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/20100623_landon00000623.jpg

LANDON DONOVAN WINS.

FATALITY.

GKeeper316
6/23/2010, 11:06 AM
good jerb america!!!!!!!

NormanPride
6/23/2010, 11:09 AM
I'm going to have a beer with lunch.

itsok
6/23/2010, 11:14 AM
GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collier11
6/23/2010, 11:21 AM
USA WINS 1-0!

We went from eliminated to winning Group C with that one goal!

Kinda like the confed cup

Collier11
6/23/2010, 11:32 AM
These refs have been absolutely horrid btw

Collier11
6/23/2010, 11:38 AM
Ghana, Serbia, Germany, Australia...for you that are more into soccer than myself, who do we matchup best against? Who do we want to play from that group

ccmike9
6/23/2010, 11:47 AM
Ghana, Serbia, Germany, Australia...for you that are more into soccer than myself, who do we matchup best against? Who do we want to play from that group

My bet is that we play Serbia as the Runners-up in that group. They are VERY stout defensively, but are a much better matchup than the Germans. That said, It will be tough. If we can finish (unlike today) we CAN win. If we don't finish, there isn't a chance in hell, as we are not going to get the porousness from the Serbians as we did from the Algerians.

With all that said, Go USA!

Collier11
6/23/2010, 11:48 AM
yea I talked to a buddy and he just doesnt want Germany out of that group, although we could get revenge for the BS in 02' with the hand ball

KC//CRIMSON
6/23/2010, 11:52 AM
My bet is that we play Serbia as the Runners-up in that group. They are VERY stout defensively, but are a much better matchup than the Germans. That said, It will be tough. If we can finish (unlike today) we CAN win. If we don't finish, there isn't a chance in hell, as we are not going to get the porousness from the Serbians as we did from the Algerians.

With all that said, Go USA!

Agreed, it would also help if the refs start cleaning their contacts before the game starts.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2010, 11:52 AM
I think Germany would be the toughest match from that group, just because they're typically VERY precise with their passing and we, well, aren't. There isn't anyone in that group I think is unbeatable, though. Assuming we actually show up to play AND can put our shots IN the net.

ccmike9
6/23/2010, 12:24 PM
Agreed, it would also help if the refs start cleaning their contacts before the game starts.

Haha yea, I've played soccer all my life, and I don't think I've seen so many consistently bad calls in a stretch of a few games...ever

Collier11
6/23/2010, 03:21 PM
We get Ghana, that is a winnable game for us

itsok
6/23/2010, 03:30 PM
it will be ghana...a lot easier than germany

Serge Ibaka
6/23/2010, 03:49 PM
So, shootouts from this point on, right? How's the knockout-stage work?

Collier11
6/23/2010, 03:50 PM
ask KC, he knows ;)

silverwheels
6/23/2010, 03:59 PM
LAANDOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

http://www.juggalols.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/magic.gif

tommieharris91
6/23/2010, 04:00 PM
So, shootouts from this point on, right? How's the knockout-stage work?

Overtime = 2 15-minute periods (no sudden death), then PK shootouts.

BillyBall
6/23/2010, 04:32 PM
Overtime = 2 15-minute periods (no sudden death), then PK shootouts.

They got rid of the Golden Goal after the '98 World Cup, would like to see them get rid of shootouts at some point. Awful way to end a game, it's like a free throw contest to end a basketball game.

Eielson
6/23/2010, 04:36 PM
They got rid of the Golden Goal after the '98 World Cup, would like to see them get rid of shootouts at some point. Awful way to end a game, it's like a free throw contest to end a basketball game.

I love shootouts, but then again, I'm not a true soccer fan.

And I do think it's cheap, but you need to break a tie at some point.

silverwheels
6/23/2010, 05:23 PM
I hate penalties, but you can't let the game go on forever.

tommieharris91
6/23/2010, 05:47 PM
I'm gonna add this link again, because this is probably the best day to do it.

http://gousabid.com

JLEW1818
6/23/2010, 06:17 PM
we owe payback to Ghana

tommieharris91
6/23/2010, 06:44 PM
we owe payback to Ghana

Yep, and they've played this entire WC without their best player.

tommieharris91
6/23/2010, 07:01 PM
Stay classy, Algeria. (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/algeria-star-slaps-female-reporter--fbintl_ro-algeria062310.html)

Eielson
6/23/2010, 08:12 PM
We average 1.33 goals per game and they average .66. Should be a fun game!

GottaHavePride
6/23/2010, 08:20 PM
Actually, Germany looked lousy today. They might not have been such a bad draw. Anyway, I think we've got a winnable game ahead.

TUSooner
6/23/2010, 09:11 PM
I had beer for breakfast. :O It made for a sleepy afternoon. But everybody left the pub happy, especially the USA fans. At the very moment the ref was blowing the whistle on England's win, the Brits' cheers were drowned out by the USA shouts for Donovan's game winner. But the Brits cheered that one. Even though they would have won the group if Rooney hadn't hit the pipe. The Tommies were relieved just to get through. It's funny how different expectations cloud folks' view of similar events. Watching 2 nail-biters simultaneously takes a lot out of you.

JLEW1818
6/23/2010, 09:13 PM
i can't wait to get ****ed up Saturday and watch the game.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2010, 10:23 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering where that tune from Nike's "write the future" commercials came from...

TnTGF5G5B6w

Heh.

GrapevineSooner
6/23/2010, 11:42 PM
Stay classy, Algeria. (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/algeria-star-slaps-female-reporter--fbintl_ro-algeria062310.html)

While walking through the interview zone, Saifi spotted writer Asma Halimi, who works for Algerian newspaper Competition, and struck her with his open hand in front of dozens of witnesses. Halimi responded by striking the player in the mouth.

Asma Halimi is my new hero.

Good for her.

Jboozer
6/24/2010, 08:46 AM
Ghanas only goals hav come off pk shots. They really haven't even looked that dangerous yet. We have looked capable of puting multiple goals past every team we have played(including England) and hve had bad luck. They are extremely athletic, but they are also one of the laziest tes in the tourney in terms of movement off the ball. I think we are a better team, but I thought that last worldcup. If we can control their speed and athleticism we will be fine.

Collier11
6/24/2010, 09:56 AM
i can't wait to get ****ed up every day and watch the game on Saturday

Fixed for accuracy

badger
6/24/2010, 11:43 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2010/0624/soc_g_iaquinta_dj_576.jpg
Italia's out.

sooner59
6/24/2010, 01:30 PM
Mama Mia!

badger
6/24/2010, 02:03 PM
They couldn't even make it past the first level and beating King Koopa last time around.

http://grindingdown.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/gameover_mario.jpg

Dun. Dun. Dun. da-da-da-do-do-dee-daaaaaaa(twidle-dee-do)

;)

GottaHavePride
6/24/2010, 03:47 PM
7B2LPxggvqY

Collier11
6/24/2010, 04:14 PM
Cool Video, the worlds reaction to Donovans goal. The guy who is sitting in his living room by himself and then runs upstairs is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w&feature=player_embedded#at=313

TUSooner
6/24/2010, 04:47 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2010/0624/soc_g_iaquinta_dj_576.jpg
Italia's out.
Thus is more sadder....I don't like the Italian team, but I feel sorry for this kid. It looks like he cried away his face paint. Haven't we all been there?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3518/saditalywcfans.jpg

silverwheels
6/24/2010, 06:38 PM
Italy can eat poop. I'm so glad those diving losers are out, and in last place in their group, too.:D

tommieharris91
6/24/2010, 06:43 PM
LOL New Zealand, with part-time players, finished ahead of Italy.

JLEW1818
6/24/2010, 07:13 PM
so the 2 finalist last year, done.

TUSooner
6/24/2010, 08:25 PM
I recommend "Ticket to South Africa," the Fox Soccer Channel show that comes on every afternoon (at 5 central, I think). Christopher Sullivan is the best American "football" analyst, and the old Scottish guy, Andy Gray, provides a really intelligent and interesting take on the games from a tactical perspective. They look at the game like an actual sport and not just a big PR show. Anybody who likes the game and wants to see "how it works" ought to give this show a look. YWIA.

tommieharris91
6/24/2010, 10:44 PM
Let the haters hate. (http://www.newser.com/article/d9gi1ggo0/weekday-world-cup-game-didnt-stop-people-from-watching-usa-beat-algeria-1-0.html)

The television audience size for Wednesday's soccer game was impressive enough. It would have been enough to land the game in last week's prime-time Nielsen Co. top 10 _ highly unusual for a weekday morning.

KC//CRIMSON
6/24/2010, 10:49 PM
Some of these are great. I'm partial to number nine, see if you can figure out why. Wait for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/24/usa-world-cup-goal-amazin_n_623625.html#s105225

sooner59
6/24/2010, 11:21 PM
Some of these are great. I'm partial to number nine, see if you can figure out why. Wait for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/24/usa-world-cup-goal-amazin_n_623625.html#s105225

Goooooooaaaaaalllll!!!!! .......nice ***!

TUSooner
6/25/2010, 09:00 AM
Here's hoping Brazil and Portugal put on a show. Who knew "Dunga" is Portuguese for "Dopey"?

badger
6/25/2010, 10:33 AM
So are they, like Portuguese-speaking rivals or something? I heard the commentators talk about bad blood.

Brazil: You speak my language!
Portugal: Don't you mean MY language?
Brazil: Foda-o!
Portugal: Parte de merda!

(Translating from English to another language and back on Babelfish is fun... If you tried this now, it would have the portugal guy said "excrement part" for example)

TUSooner
6/25/2010, 11:01 AM
So are they, like Portuguese-speaking rivals or something? I heard the commentators talk about bad blood.

(Translating from English to another language and back on Babelfish is fun... If you tried this now, it would have the portugal guy said "excrement part" for example)

"Excrement part" is a pretty good description of the game. :D
It was as dull as a week-old doggy turd. Portugal made ony a few feeble efforts to score and packed the back to stifle Brazil, who were at least trying to do something. Not exactly a World Cup showpiece. And Ivory Coast looked like they were just scrimmaging against pitiful N Korea. Maybe the afternoon gtames will be better, since all 4 teams still have a shot at advancing.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 02:18 PM

Um, badg, Brazil used to be a Portuguese colony. It's the same relationship as US / England, but with more Spanish macho-ness.

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 03:11 PM
Portugal recently decided to make Brazil's mechanics and spellings of the language the official standard in Portugal.

Isn't that interesting?

TUSooner
6/25/2010, 03:23 PM
Portugal recently decided to make Brazil's mechanics and spellings of the language the official standard in Portugal.

Isn't that interesting?

AMAZING! Well, not that much :D

TUSooner
6/25/2010, 03:26 PM
Sometimes games are sadly crummy because nobody really tries to score. See, e.g., Brazil v Portugal.
Sometimes they are comically crummy when teams try to score but just plain can't. See Switzerland v. Honduras.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:43 PM

Isn't that interesting?

I was double-checking something, and from 1808 to 1821, the capital of the Kingdom of Portugal was actually Rio de Janeiro (since Napoleon was invading Portugal at the time).

TUSooner
6/25/2010, 08:57 PM
Huge game for the USA tomorrow. Gotta keep it going!

TUSooner
6/25/2010, 08:58 PM
I was double-checking something, and from 1808 to 1821, the capital of the Kingdom of Portugal was actually Rio de Janeiro (since Napoleon was invading Portugal at the time).

God bless the Duke of Wellington.

JLEW1818
6/25/2010, 10:17 PM
i'm ready to punch people in the face tomorrow

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 10:22 PM
Is the game around one-ish tomorrow?

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 10:23 PM
Broadcast starts at 1:00 Central. Game will probably kick off closer to 1:30.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 10:28 PM
Danka Schoen!

JLEW1818
6/25/2010, 10:29 PM
****ing Ghana.

we owe those bitches

Collier11
6/25/2010, 11:35 PM
We have the set up to make the semi's if we can play up to expectations. USA baby

JLEW1818
6/26/2010, 09:34 AM
kill everybody

silverwheels
6/26/2010, 10:56 AM
Ghana is going to be tough to crack defensively, and they're very physical. But they don't have Essien and they have only scored twice this tournament, both coming on PKs. We can't let them get ahead early.

badger
6/26/2010, 12:39 PM
Ghana is going to be tough to crack defensively, and they're very physical. But they don't have Essien and they have only scored twice this tournament, both coming on PKs. We can't let them get ahead early.

Are they the last African country left in the World Cup?

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 01:38 PM
He guys, when someone is charging the goal at full speed, could you try and get in their way? Good grief.

sooner59
6/26/2010, 01:41 PM
Watch this game end 0-1 and a loss. What a letdown that would be.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 02:09 PM
Still can't believe Howard got beat to near post. Ugh.

sooner59
6/26/2010, 02:16 PM
What happens if the game ends 1-1?

HBick
6/26/2010, 02:19 PM

I'm wondering the same thing, once my roommate gets back I'll let post it on here if someone hasn't.

badger
6/26/2010, 02:28 PM

If the game is tied after 90 minutes, they will go another 30 minutes.

Then, if it is still tied, they'll do one of those little penalty kick thingies :D

sooner59
6/26/2010, 02:29 PM
Ah, got it.

HBick
6/26/2010, 02:44 PM
2 20min overtimes switch sides each time, then penalty kicks

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 02:47 PM
Here we go.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 02:48 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!

sooner59
6/26/2010, 02:54 PM
**** this! Cox Cable went out for 2 minutes and I missed it.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 02:58 PM
Donovan drilled a penalty kick off the post. Saved our *ss AGAIN.

sooner59
6/26/2010, 03:05 PM
Cable out again. Had to go to my g/f's place to watch it. Cox can burn.