PDA

View Full Version : Bohl's column tomorrow: OU's DL & Mack "ain't" talking

aurorasooner
10/14/2009, 09:05 PM
So maybe the Oklahoma front four shouldn't step to the front of the class after all.
They've put up good numbers this season. But they haven't clamped down on offenses when the Sooners absolutely had to have stops late in games. They rank a pedestrian 36th nationally in third-down success. Texas ranks first.

In Oklahoma's two losses this season, the defensive line — and defense as a whole — didn't come close to finishing strong. In the second half of the defeats by BYU and Miami, those teams converted seven of 15 third downs (16 of 30 overall).
Asked if he had detected a weakness in the defensive front that Texas could exploit, Longhorn coach Mack Brown declined and offered, "coach speak."

Translation: He ain't talking.
Brown might have some surprises like he did last year when he and Greg Davis dusted off a branch of the four-wide formation and flexed out Jordan Shipley to confound OU's defense. It worked.
"I think there's more (to come)," Venables said. "We're certainly not satisfied." http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/10/15/1015bohls.html

goingoneight
10/14/2009, 09:07 PM
Max Hall, GJ Kinne and Jacory Harris <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Cody Hawkins and the guy that should be the backup at Tech. Just sayin'

Widescreen
10/14/2009, 10:27 PM
I assume your <<<< should've been going the other direction.

beer4me
10/14/2009, 10:32 PM
I assume your <<<< should've been going the other direction.

I sure hope so

rainiersooner
10/15/2009, 12:19 AM
pretty fair article

stoops the eternal pimp
10/15/2009, 12:34 AM
oh mack coltrane

TheHumanAlphabet
10/15/2009, 11:41 AM
Max Hall, GJ Kinne and Jacory Harris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cody Hawkins and the guy that should be the backup at Tech. Just sayin'

Fixed...

aurorasooner
10/15/2009, 01:14 PM
Wondering if our D-staff has a BU gameplan in the event that RR has to come out of the game again this year? (knock on wood big-time that it doesn't happen).
Reading the DO a minute ago & the quotes from TL, that our D was in total chaos after RR went down, even though our staff had the halftime break to adjust, makes me wonder if we're prepared should something unlucky happen to RR again this year. You would assume that since TL and KC have another year in our D, that if something does happen to RR, that either would/could make the D calls with R. Lewis (fr) in as RR's BU, (or we run the 4-2-5) and our D wouldn't completely fall apart as it did in the 2nd half of last year's RRR. I would guess that the BU play caller on our D would be TL, but don't really have a clue if he's the guy (or if KC is, or does A.Box come in at MLB instead of R. Lewis since he got some MLB experience last year.
Hopefully BV has prepared this year for any loss of RR, as I would like to see us use another D-package w/o RR every so often if not for anything else just to give RR a blow in the 2nd half so he's ready for the inevitable "let the D win it" final drive.

sooneron
10/15/2009, 03:49 PM
Wondering if our D-staff has a BU gameplan in the event that RR has to come out of the game again this year? (knock on wood big-time that it doesn't happen).
Reading the DO a minute ago & the quotes from TL, that our D was in total chaos after RR went down, even though our staff had the halftime break to adjust, makes me wonder if we're prepared should something unlucky happen to RR again this year. You would assume that since TL and KC have another year in our D, that if something does happen to RR, that either would/could make the D calls with R. Lewis (fr) in as RR's BU, (or we run the 4-2-5) and our D wouldn't completely fall apart as it did in the 2nd half of last year's RRR. I would guess that the BU play caller on our D would be TL, but don't really have a clue if he's the guy (or if KC is, or does A.Box come in at MLB instead of R. Lewis since he got some MLB experience last year.
Hopefully BV has prepared this year for any loss of RR, as I would like to see us use another D-package w/o RR every so often if not for anything else just to give RR a blow in the 2nd half so he's ready for the inevitable "let the D win it" final drive.
Jiminy Christmas!
TOO

MANY

ABBREVS.

Look for more 4-2-5 on Saturday.

goingoneight
10/15/2009, 04:01 PM
If Quinton Carter's 100%, I bet we see Jonathan Nelson at nickel, I'm not really sure about any of OUr other DBs as far as trusting them without QC, we'd likely go with the 4-3-4 and have Clayton on the slot WR/TE "Buckner" assignment.

Reggie Smith shut down Limas Sweed a couple of years ago, which was a big surprise to me TBH. Hopefully whoever is on Shipley, be it man or double can shock me by containing him.

UTSINCE96
10/15/2009, 04:08 PM
If Quinton Carter's 100%, I bet we see Jonathan Nelson at nickel, I'm not really sure about any of OUr other DBs as far as trusting them without QC, we'd likely go with the 4-3-4 and have Clayton on the slot WR/TE "Buckner" assignment.

Reggie Smith shut down Limas Sweed a couple of years ago, which was a big surprise to me TBH. Hopefully whoever is on Shipley, be it man or double can shock me by containing him.

I don't remember if Limas played in that game or not but we pretty much never had him for 2007. He was injured all year and eventually he just called it quits a few weeks in and got ready for the draft (which was the right decision imo). I thought that happened before OU though.

beer4me
10/15/2009, 04:14 PM

Pray tell where have you seen a "in game" BU plan before:confused:

rawlingsHOH
10/15/2009, 04:25 PM
I don't remember if Limas played in that game or not but we pretty much never had him for 2007. He was injured all year and eventually he just called it quits a few weeks in and got ready for the draft (which was the right decision imo). I thought that happened before OU though.
He played and was terrible.

rawlingsHOH
10/15/2009, 04:26 PM
Look for more 4-2-5 on Saturday.We play 4-2-5 every game.

Keenan Clayton is about 75% nickelback 25% linebacker.

NormanPride
10/15/2009, 04:26 PM
Clayton - Buckner is a horrible mismatch for us, IMO.

Howzit
10/15/2009, 05:26 PM
Brown might have some surprises like he did last year when he and Greg Davis dusted off a branch of the four-wide formation and flexed out Jordan Shipley to confound OU's defense. It worked.

Maybe my memory serves me wrong - that's becoming a more common occurrence theses days - but aside from a Shipley return in the first half last year I don't remember their offense doing a whole lot in the first half.

What I seem to recall them "dusting off" was Ryan Reynolds missing the second half.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 05:55 PM
Maybe my memory serves me wrong - that's becoming a more common occurrence theses days - but aside from a Shipley return in the first half last year I don't remember their offense doing a whole lot in the first half.

What I seem to recall them "dusting off" was Ryan Reynolds missing the second half.

It's called.. Mad cow.

UTSINCE96
10/15/2009, 11:45 PM

Dude...it was already a few minutes into the third quarter before Reynolds left the game and we had broke 20 by then. When are you gonna stop holding on to that excuse and just admit Texas won the game fair and square?

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2009, 12:02 AM
Dude...Reynolds got hurt in the second qtr and gutted it out until the third when it totally gave out. He clearly wasn't the same after the play.

Widescreen
10/16/2009, 12:21 AM
Dude...it was already a few minutes into the third quarter before Reynolds left the game and we had broke 20 by then. When are you gonna stop holding on to that excuse and just admit Texas won the game fair and square?

Nobody's saying it wasn't fair and square. Compare the UT offensive results prior to Reynolds getting hurt and afterwards. It's not a coincidence that UT's plays starting working much better without Reynolds in there.

SoonerShay
10/16/2009, 01:21 AM
Texas had negative rushing yards and 1 offensive touchdown before RR went down in the game. The rest were fields goals and a kick off return for a TD.

Blitzkrieg
10/16/2009, 06:55 AM
Maybe Travis Lewis should take a 15 yard penalty and earhole Shipley like he did Tanneyhill last year. That would put his head on a swivel the rest of the game.

LesNessman
10/16/2009, 07:22 AM
Bohls was on the radio here (590 KLBJ am) in Austin yesterday afternoon. Said something to the effect that an OU win would be a monumental upset.

Yet UT is only a 3pt favorite?

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2009, 07:31 AM
Bohl's was on the radio here (590 KLBJ am) in Austin yesterday afternoon. Said something to the effect that an OU win would be a monumental upset.

Yet UT is only a 3pt favorite?

He meant a lot of folks in Austin would be monumentally upset about it.