PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Loathing in Austin, tx

UTgradOUfan
10/14/2009, 08:31 PM
It is good being me, it really is. I sit here on the shore of Lady Bird Lake watching my son go by with the rest of the Austin Rowing Club. I've been listening to the Zone and reading the Statesman. But best of all I've been listening to my friendly neighborhood whorn fans and I promise you it is better than Christmas. They want to win, they hope to win but the truth is they are collectively gripped with THE FEAR. THE FEAR is everywhere I go in this town. From Juniors and Mr. Notebook in West Campus, the lunch crowd at Green Mesquite, the waiters at Gueros, the clean-cut kids at Best Buy, the not-so-clean-cut dudes at Daily Juice, and best of all, the alcoholics who hang out with Augie at the bar at Eddie V's are all siezed up with the most gawd-awful FEAR I have ever seen since I moved here in 1976. THE FEAR exists because, like it or not, these people know football and they also know the ugly little truth and it is about to be out in the open.

THE FEAR is as big and ugly as the whorn's media guide. THE FEAR is that poisonous knot of reality that hits you after a bad night of drinking when you roll over and see the hideous beast you brought home and GOT IN BED WITH the night before and in the light of day and you know there is no way to get her out of there without your roommates seeing your "date", warts and all. THE FEAR is that painful reality that EVERYONE is about to see the real you.

And the real you is not very special. The real you is actually pretty ordinary. And SOONER or later something happens that forces everyone to see who you really are. And SOONER or later is this Saturday! THE FEAR is about having played no one. THE FEAR is about having a bloated media guide and glossy pre-season publications that you are going to have to come home to on Sunday and hide in embarassment under the couch. THE FEAR is about having Colorado stuff your running game. THE FEAR is about having TT pass for 455yds on your D. THE FEAR is knowing what a #2 ranked team looks like and knowing no one has seen a team resembling one in Austin this year. THE FEAR is knowing Gameday and the rest of the country is going to see that girl that you brought home last night is no beauty. THE FEAR is being EXPOSED. THE FEAR has made a wretched wreck out of whorn fans this week.

THE FEAR is that they do not know what will happen when the whorns play a decent football team much less a good one. THE FEAR is knowing that it would have a been a smart move to have had to play a real game on the road before the middle of Oct. THE FEAR is that mack is all talk but brings home no trophys without #10's talent. THE FEAR is real. THE FEAR is now. THE FEAR is another lost dream. THE FEAR is another half-empty stadium come the fourth quarter before a national audience. THE FEAR is hearing the words OVER-RATED reveberating in the sports media.

THE FEAR is CRIMSON & CREAM coming to crash your party.

Like I said, it is good being me.
Next week things will get back to normal and the whorn fans can listen to mack talk about 10 win seasons and next year. But the Golden Hat will be where it belongs and I will be looking forward to going to the Big 12 Championship and whorn fans will looking forward to next years media guide.
Roll On Big Red!

Soonerus
10/14/2009, 08:34 PM
Well stated, I witnessed the fear in a meeting with a UT grad yesterday...so scared they can't enjoy this weekend...funny !!!

OKC Sooner
10/14/2009, 08:36 PM
From your keyboard to God's eyes :)

Partial Qualifier
10/14/2009, 08:38 PM
We're in their heads. Even when they BEAT us, they can't beat us.

:pop:

unbiasedtruth
10/14/2009, 08:42 PM
the ones at work are amazingly quiet this year..... no smack talk aout being 3-2, no talk about a beatdown of epic propotions, nothing......

its really strange..... but then again this is the same year after year.... if saxat wins, and thats a big IF, my desk will have something on it on Sunday... thats the type of fans I work with....

beer4me
10/14/2009, 08:42 PM
This victory is gonna be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

CrimsonJim
10/14/2009, 08:57 PM
the ones at work are amazingly quiet this year..... no smack talk aout being 3-2, no talk about a beatdown of epic propotions, nothing......

its really strange..... but then again this is the same year after year.... if saxat wins, and thats a big IF, my desk will have something on it on Sunday... thats the type of fans I work with....

It's exactly the same way where I work. I'm surrounded by the sorry bastages, yet they have been eerily quiet this year. They really bow up AFTER a win, but before the game, and after a loss, you can only hear them scurrying behind the walls like the cockroaches they are.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/14/2009, 08:59 PM
every time a whorn cries, an angel gets it's wings

CrimsonJim
10/14/2009, 09:04 PM
every time a whorn cries, an angel gets it's wings

That makes for a lot of happy angels then. :D

devOUt
10/14/2009, 09:11 PM
I have two texas fans in my office (who I should fire on principle). They aren't talking their usual trash this week.

swardboy
10/14/2009, 09:23 PM
Epic post UTgradOUfan...spek.

Soonerus
10/14/2009, 09:42 PM
Every time a whorn cries...everybody else laughs..

VA Sooner
10/14/2009, 11:11 PM
I like that. Need to make that a bumper sticker for my car.

Funky G
10/14/2009, 11:19 PM
Greatness. Dude, you are now my favorite poster on this board.

Rock on.

Beat Texas.

MyT Oklahoma
10/15/2009, 12:37 AM
every time a whorn whines, an angel gets it's wings

Fixed.

PDXsooner
10/15/2009, 12:38 AM
SOLID post. it's what i've been saying all year -- we really won't know how good texas is because of their schedule. we play their non-conference schedule and we're 5-0 ranked #2.

i like how this game sets up.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/15/2009, 01:00 AM
Why will Texas lose? Because they have all the pressure in the world to win. It is make or break for their season. It is the national championship. They win, they can almost claim this decade a tie. They win, the rest of the season is a breeze. EVERYTHING is on the line for Texas. How can you live up to those expectations? Oh how I miss that feeling.

A Sooner in Texas
10/15/2009, 01:41 AM
They are FAR more scared of us than we are of them.

UTgradOUfan
10/15/2009, 07:55 AM
They are FAR more scared of us than we are of them.

That is what it took me several paragraph to say. Thanks, brevity really is the soul of wit.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 08:29 AM
THE FEAR is that they do not know what will happen when the whorns play a decent football team much less a good one.

Alas..it is unfortunate that we aren't playing a decent team much less a good one this week.

Sooo... have you ever watched King Arthur... a relatively average film that came out a few years ago... Clive Owen as Arthur.

Well.. anyway... the Saxons invaded England of course and were being assisted by a turncoat... an Englishman who gave them information regarding Arthur.. his knights.. the land.. etc. He ended up with an arrow through him.

I don't know why I just thought of that. :D

fwsooner22
10/15/2009, 08:31 AM
Alas..it is unfortunate that we aren't playing a decent team much less a good one this week.

Sooo... have you ever watched King Arthur... a relatively average film that came out a few years ago... Clive Owen as Arthur.

Well.. anyway... the Saxons invaded England of course and were being assisted by a turncoat... an Englishman who gave them information regarding Arthur.. his knights.. the land.. etc. He ended up with an arrow through him.

Ummmm Because your Gay? Do you really think you can get away with that during this week ?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/15/2009, 08:33 AM

Very cute, TexasLidi-GAY-tor

The Ghost of Mex
10/15/2009, 08:33 AM

The quiver in your writing is unmistakable. I can smell the fear & doubt in your voice from this side of "The Red."

OBTY…wipe that sweat off your brow whorn.

SunnySooner
10/15/2009, 08:39 AM
Awesome post, UTgrad, spek for you!!

And GREAT to see Lid back in the red where he belongs. We all know it's his favorite color!

SoonerAtKU
10/15/2009, 09:06 AM
...assisted by a turncoat... He ended up with an arrow through him.

Is it because the only coaches who ever won anything of merit at Texas were former Sooners? That'd be a hell of a reason to think of something like that.

Mac94
10/15/2009, 09:10 AM
I don't know if "fear" is quite the word here in Austin .... but there is an edge. Horns seem a bit on edge ... there is a certain nervousness over this game this week. There is a ton on the radio and so forth about how Texas will blow out OU but underlying it all is an edge of doubt. It's more like their trying to convince themselves rather than talking bluster. The main concern is their running game ... or lack thereof. Historically, the team that rushes the other has a huge advantage in the W/L column and Texas has issues running. We'll see. I think Texas has a huge advantage on the lines ... we'll see if they have "it" between the ears, though.

A Sooner in Texas
10/15/2009, 09:16 AM
That is what it took me several paragraph to say. Thanks, brevity really is the soul of wit.

You described perfectly what I'm seeing down here in the Houston area. There is absolutely no confidence in whorn fans that they'll win. The team hasn't been tested and is for many people just a big "?"

KantoSooner
10/15/2009, 09:25 AM
As St. Hunter would have said, "Indeed".
And the week rolls on, like a stinking beast that the whorns wish would go away, but just can't be ignored. Much like the Sooners tried valiantly to talk ourselves out of Oline issues, but were finally foreced to recognize them, now we see UT starting to realize that having zero running game (even before injuries) is not a happy place to be when facing a decent defense.
With a bloated rep built on the empty carbs of cheap opposition, they know that they 'should' win.....but that a complete collapse and the bitter tears of humiliation stand just off-stage, waiting, waiting.
Defense? Demarco? It's time to roll.

UTgradOUfan
10/15/2009, 09:37 AM

Allow me to quote a much better movie: Granny Hawkins in "The Outlaw Josie Wales"
"You know what I think? I think all that big talk is just doodley-squat"

So Lid wipe the Kool Aide from your orange stained lips and put down your media guide then let it sink in that your 'big talk" speaks more to your insecurity than any confidence in your whorns and their #2 ranking.
But thanks for giving credibility to my take on the collective whorn mind-set.

The Ghost of Mex
10/15/2009, 10:46 AM
Allow me to quote a much better movie: Granny Hawkins in "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

So Lid wipe the Kool Aide from your orange stained lips and put down your media guide then let it sink in that your 'big talk" speaks more to your insecurity than any confidence in your whorns and their #2 ranking.
But thanks for giving creibility to my take on the collective whorn mind-set.

or this...

Special note: replaced "#2 ranking" for the word "sale" and took a little more poetic lisence.

Tommy: Hey, what's your name?

Helen: Helen.

Tommy: That's nice, you look like a Helen. Helen, we're both ** fans. Let me tell you why we suck with a #2 ranking. Let's say I go into a guy's office, let's say he's even remotely interested in buying something. Well then I get all excited. I'm like Jojo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. Now the pet is my possible #2 ranking. Hello there pretty little pet, I love you. And then I stoke it, and I pet it, and I massage it. Hehe I love it, I love my little naughty pet, you're naughty. And then I take my naughty pet and I go
[makes ripping noises as he tears apart the roll]

Tommy: Uuuuuuh. I killed it. I killed my #2 ranking. And that's when I blow it. That's when people like us have gotta forge ahead, Helen. Am I right?

Helen: God, you're sick.

or...

Ponyboy quote at half time this year

Tommy: Forget it, I quit, I can't do this anymore, man. My head's about to explode. My whole life sucks! I don't know what I'm doing, I don't know where I'm going. My dad just died, we just killed Bambi, I'm out here getting my *** kicked and every time I drive down the road I wanna jerk the wheel into a Goddamn bridge abutment!

cjames317
10/15/2009, 11:14 AM

Always the litigator. Attack your opponent's case and humor the jury to divert their attention from the holes in your case.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 11:16 AM

But thanks for giving credibility to my take on the collective whorn mind-set.

Oh No Benedict.. No kool aide here.

The running game has been a disappointment this year. There is no doubt about that... just like last year.

The big talk is called... "smack." That is what happens on this site during this week.

Objectively speaking, if Venables doesn't figure out a way to slow down Texas' 4 and 5 wide receiver sets, if he doesn't come up with a scheme to defend seam routes and crossing patterns, Ou's defense will be in trouble. These timing routes do not require a great deal of time.

If Texas is forced to rely on its running game, we will be in big trouble.

Regardless.. I certainly don't anticipate a 45 - 25 offensive show like last year.

More like... a good old fashioned... 17 - 14, 14 - 10 time game.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 11:17 AM
Always the litigator. Attack your opponent's case and humor the jury to divert their attention from the holes in your case.

Jury Trial 101.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 11:18 AM
Awesome post, UTgrad, spek for you!!

And GREAT to see Lid back in the red where he belongs. We all know it's his favorite color!

once again.. you get enough negspek (thanks jlew).. and it turns you..

BURNT ORANGE!

badger
10/15/2009, 11:26 AM
Texas has a lot more to lose this year than OU does. If Texas loses, the SEC will have a stranglehold on the top rankings for the rest of the season and Texas will have virtually no chance at the title game (and Colt might not get his Heis Heis this year, boo hoo).

If OU loses, everyone expected it, with a recovering Sam Bradford fresh from an injury, Gresham out for the season, a new O-line, etc etc etc.

So, I like our chances :D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/15/2009, 11:32 AM
This Sooner fan - while rooting hard for OU, wonders if OU will be OU's worst enemy. I can see an epic blowout - UT over OU big if we play like we played against BYU and Miami. However, if we play like we played against Idaho, Tulsa or 2nd half of Baylor - I like our chances...

Bourbon St Sooner
10/15/2009, 11:50 AM
I appreciate the Hunter Thompson tribute, but I don't see any reason for The Fear. This Saturday should bring a peaceful relief to the whorns. They should be rooting for us to learn how to catch footballs and block people during this week. We're going to save them from getting spanked in the NC game.

Playing Fla or Bama in January - that's The Fear. After Saturday, the whorns will be at peace knowing they are destined to a place they are much more familiar with - San Diego.

UTgradOUfan
10/15/2009, 11:51 AM
Oh No Benedict.. No kool aide here.

The running game has been a disappointment this year. There is no doubt about that... just like last year.

The big talk is called... "smack." That is what happens on this site during this week.

Objectively speaking, if Venables doesn't figure out a way to slow down Texas' 4 and 5 wide receiver sets, if he doesn't come up with a scheme to defend seam routes and crossing patterns, Ou's defense will be in trouble. These timing routes do not require a great deal of time.

If Texas is forced to rely on its running game, we will be in big trouble.

Regardless.. I certainly don't anticipate a 45 - 25 offensive show like last year.

More like... a good old fashioned... 17 - 14, 14 - 10 time game.

Lid, if that is the best you can bring then I am going to stick with David Minton and/or Bruce Fox. With your inability to address the facts in question I can only assume you are not a member of the defense bar.
Trust me, you are most certainly a Kool-Aide addict. And I fear there is no 12-step program for your affliction. When you hit bottom(which I suspect will be
sometime on Sunday morning) and come to the realization that you are powerless over it you may be in the same position I was when I came out and admitted I was addicted to redheads. All the recovery community could offer was: "Oh, you poor soul. We wish you luck"

3rd Generation Longhorn
10/15/2009, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately, I have to agree with THA. Nevertheless, I will go and hope for the former, not the latter.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 12:31 PM
Lid, if that is the best you can bring then I am going to stick with David Minton and/or Bruce Fox. With your inability to address the facts in question I can only assume you are not a member of the defense bar.
Trust me, you are most certainly a Kool-Aide addict. And I fear there is no 12-step program for your affliction. When you hit bottom(which I suspect will be
sometime on Sunday morning) and come to the realization that you are powerless over it you may be in the same position I was when I came out and admitted I was addicted to redheads. All the recovery community could offer was: "Oh, you poor soul. We wish you luck"

Actually... about 95% of what I do is corporate defense.

Condolences on the redhead addiction... One of the world's greatest joys... and aggravations!

Long Live the Fire Bush!!!!

MyT Oklahoma
10/15/2009, 02:00 PM
All kidding aside guys.. if you haven't ever dated a redhead.. you have no idea what your missing. Trust me on that one.

freakhorn
10/15/2009, 03:00 PM
It is good being me, it really is. I sit here on the shore of Lady Bird Lake watching my son go by with the rest of the Austin Rowing Club. I've been listening to the Zone and reading the Statesman. But best of all I've been listening to my friendly neighborhood whorn fans and I promise you it is better than Christmas. They want to win, they hope to win but the truth is they are collectively gripped with THE FEAR. THE FEAR is everywhere I go in this town. From Juniors and Mr. Notebook in West Campus, the lunch crowd at Green Mesquite, the waiters at Gueros, the clean-cut kids at Best Buy, the not-so-clean-cut dudes at Daily Juice, and best of all, the alcoholics who hang out with Augie at the bar at Eddie V's are all siezed up with the most gawd-awful FEAR I have ever seen since I moved here in 1976. THE FEAR exists because, like it or not, these people know football and they also know the ugly little truth and it is about to be out in the open.

THE FEAR is as big and ugly as the whorn's media guide. THE FEAR is that poisonous knot of reality that hits you after a bad night of drinking when you roll over and see the hideous beast you brought home and GOT IN BED WITH the night before and in the light of day and you know there is no way to get her out of there without your roommates seeing your "date", warts and all. THE FEAR is that painful reality that EVERYONE is about to see the real you.

And the real you is not very special. The real you is actually pretty ordinary. And SOONER or later something happens that forces everyone to see who you really are. And SOONER or later is this Saturday! THE FEAR is about having played no one. THE FEAR is about having a bloated media guide and glossy pre-season publications that you are going to have to come home to on Sunday and hide in embarassment under the couch. THE FEAR is about having Colorado stuff your running game. THE FEAR is about having TT pass for 455yds on your D. THE FEAR is knowing what a #2 ranked team looks like and knowing no one has seen a team resembling one in Austin this year. THE FEAR is knowing Gameday and the rest of the country is going to see that girl that you brought home last night is no beauty. THE FEAR is being EXPOSED. THE FEAR has made a wretched wreck out of whorn fans this week.

THE FEAR is that they do not know what will happen when the whorns play a decent football team much less a good one. THE FEAR is knowing that it would have a been a smart move to have had to play a real game on the road before the middle of Oct. THE FEAR is that mack is all talk but brings home no trophys without #10's talent. THE FEAR is real. THE FEAR is now. THE FEAR is another lost dream. THE FEAR is another half-empty stadium come the fourth quarter before a national audience. THE FEAR is hearing the words OVER-RATED reveberating in the sports media.

THE FEAR is CRIMSON & CREAM coming to crash your party.

Like I said, it is good being me.
Next week things will get back to normal and the whorn fans can listen to mack talk about 10 win seasons and next year. But the Golden Hat will be where it belongs and I will be looking forward to going to the Big 12 Championship and whorn fans will looking forward to next years media guide.
Roll On Big Red!

dream on dreamer.

soonerloyal
10/15/2009, 03:05 PM
Actually... about 95% of what I do is corporate defense.

Now that figures. :mad: Why am I not at all surprised?

Condolences on the redhead addiction... One of the world's greatest joys... and aggravations!

Long Live the Fire Bush!!!!

We try to make it all worthwhile, if you're worthy. :cool:

freakhorn
10/15/2009, 03:05 PM

why should it be a big if? they have won 3 out of the last 4.

UTgradOUfan
10/15/2009, 04:23 PM
dream on dreamer.

That's it?
You must love living in Vidor.

silverwheels
10/15/2009, 04:27 PM
Did someone say redheads?

UTgradOUfan
10/15/2009, 05:08 PM
Did someone say redheads?

Yes, I did. I had to just give in and marry one.

silverwheels
10/15/2009, 05:20 PM
Lucky. I hope to accomplish that as well.

Howzit
10/15/2009, 05:22 PM

Because you pretty much think about Clive Owen 24/7?

MamaMia
10/15/2009, 05:23 PM
My longhorn cousin has the fear today. I'm being all humble but I'm lovin' it. We HAVE to win this game so that my glee is not replaced with his.

TexasLidig8r
10/15/2009, 05:53 PM
All kidding aside guys.. if you haven't ever dated a redhead.. you have no idea what your missing. Trust me on that one.

Until they go crazy on you and cut it off with the top of a Campbell's soup can in the middle of the night one night....

UTgradOUfan
10/15/2009, 06:16 PM
Until they go crazy on you and cut it off with the top of a Campbell's soup can in the middle of the night one night....

Lid, I can't imagine ever agreeing with you more on anything than that statement. I tried for years to kick the redhead habit but to no avail. Boys all I can say is don't start if you don't have to. They are crack and I do not mean that as a double entendre. Mine is an incredible woman but like all of them I have ever known the "blast radius" when they "go off" can be measured in counties. My sweet first wife, a lovely blonde, could get mad and I could go into the next room. With rojo here I have to grab my passport. I love her and can't imagine life without her-like I said just like crack.

She is putting on her anaconda boots and a slinky black dress(yes, she is a model) so I guess we are off to Eddie V's(she likes to flirt w/ Augie and I like to watch).

BTW, Lid, I am so thrilled that you think that the whorns can only score 14 or 17 points on our D. I'm not certain if that is THE FEAR or just a sensible statement of fact. Regardless, Bravo! Sir Kool-Aid.

FaninAma
10/15/2009, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't share those feelings you harbour about Darrel
Royal with the rest of your kilbassa sucking buddies if
I were you.

Bullneck
10/15/2009, 09:37 PM
I have to admit, I was feeling mighty confident until the Colorado game. Then again, I'm not playing this weekend, so whether I have a good feeling about the game or not is immaterial.

Good to see my account is working and everything.

StoopTroup
10/15/2009, 09:48 PM

More proof you lost your manhood.

We always knew there was something about you.

Condolences Steer.

hockeydude
10/15/2009, 09:56 PM
Are you freaking kidding me?? Sheesh, just when you think TexAgs owns delusion..

This isn't a busload of mormons coming to Dallas... Fear? Let's talk about fear...this is your worst f'king nightmare: 4 out of 5, losing season, last place in Big 12. Have you seen Kindle? Have you seen your OL and your immobile QB?

The only thing UT fans fear are ********* OU fans bumping into them and making the beer spill. Well, and also the few OU fans that stay passed the 3Q, because then it really screws up traffic after the game ends.

Fear..... BWWWWWHAHHAAHAHWHWHHAHAHAWHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 1

In fact, you should all be thanking UT for putting you out of your BCS suck *** misery. OTOH, I hear San Antonio is nice just after Christmas?!??

SoonerKnight
10/16/2009, 02:04 AM
stupid stupid stupid little whorns!!! Can't wait!!!!

StoopTroup
10/16/2009, 07:49 AM
Are you freaking kidding me?? Sheesh, just when you think TexAgs owns delusion..

This isn't a busload of mormons coming to Dallas... Fear? Let's talk about fear...this is your worst f'king nightmare: 4 out of 5, losing season, last place in Big 12. Have you seen Kindle? Have you seen your OL and your immobile QB?

The only thing UT fans fear are ********* OU fans bumping into them and making the beer spill. Well, and also the few OU fans that stay passed the 3Q, because then it really screws up traffic after the game ends.

Fear..... BWWWWWHAHHAAHAHWHWHHAHAHAWHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 1

In fact, you should all be thanking UT for putting you out of your BCS suck *** misery. OTOH, I hear San Antonio is nice just after Christmas?!??

Congrats on seeing your first game this year. :texan:

Soonersince57
10/16/2009, 08:47 AM
OTOH, I hear San Antonio is nice just after Christmas?!??

Hmmm. Seems like Uhhh texas was in San Antonio a couple of years ago.