PDA

View Full Version : Tell me how OU wins!

OUmillenium
10/14/2009, 09:58 AM
I'm in the mood for some fresh enthusiasm for this team, not sunshine pumping. I can be as critical of the coaches as anyone but I also will applaud them for a job well done (not medium rare). So who can give me some viewpoints/perspectives on this game that I have not thought about? How do the Sooneres pull this one off?

I would love to see DeMarco go for 200 yds rushing.

Or our defense hold UTerus to 10 points or less.

Somebody convince me with details how OU can get her done.

sooner518
10/14/2009, 10:09 AM
Their D line gets little pressure on Sam. Our WRs dont drop passes. Our D bends alot but stiffens in the redzone to allow FGs instead of TDs.

gaylordfan1
10/14/2009, 10:10 AM
Nice change of pace...
1. Have Bradford just be himself
2. WR play is critical in this game. Doesn't have to be anything fancy... Just
catch the ball and execute.
3. Defense has to play like they have in big games... Force turnovers and
avoid big plays for 3rd and long.... Mainly covering the middle.
4. The coordinators have to bring their A game and adjust to adversity.
If the game plan is spoiled, switch it up to keep Texas guessing.
5. And of coarse, score more points!

StoopTroup
10/14/2009, 10:12 AM
OU puts up more points on the board

Blues1
10/14/2009, 10:12 AM
Details.....Control Emotion - Play our Asss's Off....

The Only thing I could think of ~~~~ "God Loves Sooners More" ~~~ :)

Sam has Great Day - and our offense line wakes up....!!
And DM and CB Run Wild......!
And Defense gets 4 turn overs....

We Sit Back and Enjoy 'The Victory'
Pray for Turn Overs - That Favor OU....

rawlingsHOH
10/14/2009, 10:15 AM

Seems unrealistic. Has a career high of 128, and that came as a freshman against Texas.

soonermix
10/14/2009, 10:16 AM
nobody gets injured for us

rawlingsHOH
10/14/2009, 10:17 AM
OU wins by...

1) Tackling, limiting YAC. On 3rd and 8, limit the slant to 6.
2) Offensively... no turnovers, no penalties.

cjames317
10/14/2009, 10:17 AM
1.horns play like tech, e.g. no running game, short passes and only one playmaker receiver.
2.Venables dials in a game plan like last year's tech game.
3. Sooners Jump Around!

soonerlaw
10/14/2009, 10:18 AM
We have to control the Time of Possession. I think last year, they had the ball a lot longer than we did. They had some long drives and it wore out our D. I think this means no 3 and out's, more production out of our RB's, and also our D forcing them to punt.

pac10SUX
10/14/2009, 10:22 AM
OL protects Sam and blocks enough to allow RBs to do their thang!! The WRs will do better but we'll still see a few drops.

OUr D stuffs the run including colt and must keep colt's galpal contained.

S008NER
10/14/2009, 10:25 AM
Special Teams must play lights out!!! To me this is the key to this game. They can not give up the big plays and field position.

freakhorn
10/14/2009, 10:49 AM
Ut does not show up and you win 1-0. Thats the only way you win.

budbarrybob
10/14/2009, 10:55 AM

Go back to the mentally challenged board plz...

flopshotjoe99
10/14/2009, 10:58 AM
DO NOT touch McCoy as he runs out of bounds, that eliminates the two 15 yard BS calls last year & OU wins.

WR's just catch the damn ball.

cover the middle of the field.

devOUt
10/14/2009, 10:59 AM
1. limit the texas run game to its usual lame production;
2. cover Shipley by any means necessary;
3. solid special teams play;
4. no turnovers.

SoonerMavrick25
10/14/2009, 11:05 AM
I think if we can force some bad throws and INTs like pretty much everyone has when facing Texas we will be in good shape. As well as finishing drives. Making sure we get points off turnovers. Establish a run game that opens up some PA. Control the YAC and shut down the 9th year senior Shipley (who is Colt’s roommate)... And I just have that good feeling...

fossil
10/14/2009, 11:20 AM

:rolleyes: Still a troll! Go away.

westbrooke
10/14/2009, 11:22 AM
1. Do not kick to Shipley.
2. Don't let Colt beat us with his legs. That will be the end of their running game.
3. We won't get much running up the middle. Bump it outside with Murray. If Broyles plays, maybe try an end-around. In any case, our progress running the ball will be slow. Take it when it's there, but don't force it.
4. Bradford's play is going to be key. We need quick reads because the line won't be able to give him much time to throw. That means the receivers are going to have to catch and then make something happen. Another reason we need Broyles back. Every once in a while, put Clapp or Eldridge in the backfield as another blocker. We might get some time for deeper routes to develop.
5. Turnovers. Our defense has been great at forcing turnovers so far. We need Franks and Jackson to be ballhawks in this game and make McCoy pay for anything off target.
6. We need something good to happen early. If things start going sideways, it might rob the team's confidence and, more likely, the fans' enthusiasm. As bad as it sounds, we've been conditioning our fans to expect bad things to lead to more bad things.

I think we make enough of these things to happen to notch a W in this one. I stand by my earlier projection. OU wins 28-20.

KantoSooner
10/14/2009, 12:00 PM
Calhoun knocks the helmets off of all Texas' defensive players.

That's not the only way, but the way I'd prefer to see it happen.

kustang619
10/14/2009, 12:03 PM
OU wins by covering the freakin' middle of the field when we are defending 3rd down...

JLEW1818
10/14/2009, 12:34 PM
While Sam Bradford’s shoulder and Colt McCoy’s Heisman Trophy audition grab all the headlines and camera time, the Red River Shootout will come down to what it always comes down to ... old fashion football.

In the last 10 meetings, the team that has run the ball better has won. The squad that accomplishes that this year will have certainly earned it.

Texas owns the nation’s best run defense (allowing just 46.2 yards per game on the ground). Oklahoma isn’t far behind, ranking third in that category (53.6).

The Sooners’ combo of DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown should have the advantage over a Longhorn ground game that netted only 46 yards on 25 carries last Saturday against a pedestrian Colorado defense.

Mack Brown knows all too well that the loser of this game isn’t out of the national championship picture. This time, he can take solace in that.

Opening point spread: Texas by 1

Pick: Oklahoma 24-23

ADs_Agent
10/14/2009, 01:04 PM

1.) It's impossible to score only 1 point, you have to score a TD first
2.) The least amount that anyone can score is 2 and that is from a safety
3.) Since UT wouldn't be there the least that OU can score would be a FG for 3. So if you used some actual knowledge and creativity in your argument you would say, UT doesn't show up and you win 3-0, just sayin.

sooneron
10/14/2009, 01:06 PM
Easy, win the turnover battle by taking away double what they take away.

TahoeSOONER
10/14/2009, 01:15 PM
1. Cover Shipley

2. Run the ball.

3. WATCH THE DOUBLE MOVES from WR!

4. Cover the middle of the field.

5. Tackle well in space.

6. Special teams complete game.

7. Cover Shipley

freakhorn
10/14/2009, 01:15 PM
a game in which the other team does not show up to play is a forfeit and awarded a 1-0 score.

sooneron
10/14/2009, 01:16 PM
and if you think that is the only way that OU can win on Saturday, then you KNOW NOTHING of this rivalry.

oksoonerdave
10/14/2009, 01:21 PM
Watching cryin Smack Brown doing a Bobby Bowden at the end of the game saying "Every time we tried something different, they'd change their defense".

I Am Right
10/14/2009, 01:25 PM
I'm in the mood for some fresh enthusiasm for this team, not sunshine pumping. I can be as critical of the coaches as anyone but I also will applaud them for a job well done (not medium rare). So who can give me some viewpoints/perspectives on this game that I have not thought about? How do the Sooneres pull this one off?

We Score more points than they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Call Kevin Wilson.

freakhorn
10/14/2009, 01:39 PM
and if you think that is the only way that OU can win on Saturday, then you KNOW NOTHING of this rivalry.

just explaining how a team can win 1-0. i have been watching this game since 1970 and know full well some strange crap can happen. sometimes the best team does not win.

JLEW1818
10/14/2009, 02:01 PM
like last year

soonerborn30
10/14/2009, 04:23 PM
1) Don't kick to Shipley

2) Hit Jordan Shipley every time he runs a pattern (legally, of course)

3) Double cover Shipley on every play.

Is it obvious yet that UT is limited offensively?

On O, the WRs will catch the ball better than they have all year. Sam will be Sam. DM coming out of the slot and Miller at the TE position will throw UT off just enough to be effective.

Dom Franks will get one great return, set up a short field, and break the backs of the UT defense.

THAT is how we win

jdsooner
10/14/2009, 05:14 PM
Stop their running game.
Put pressure on McCoy.
Keep Jordan Shipley from having a big play. (like the return last year)
Move the ball and run the clock.

Texas has struggled in the first half of most of their games. If we are able to build a lead of 10-14 points, it could be very interesting.

the_sooners_abide
10/14/2009, 05:18 PM
Cameron Kenney 55-yd field goal?

OUmillenium
10/14/2009, 05:19 PM
I like it. Starting to feel better about this game...or is that the cold medicine kicking in?

Here's to Cory Dorris tearing Boise St a new whorn hole tonight.

soonervegas
10/14/2009, 05:20 PM
1. Win the turnover battle by 2+

2. Make a play or two on special teams

soonerinabilene
10/14/2009, 05:25 PM
Texas owns the nation’s best run defense (allowing just 46.2 yards per game on the ground). Oklahoma isn’t far behind, ranking third in that category (53.6).

The Sooners’ combo of DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown should have the advantage over a Longhorn ground game that netted only 46 yards on 25 carries last Saturday against a pedestrian Colorado defense.

The reason why they are the best run d in the country is because everybody tries to pass against their weak *** secondary. They will have to load 8 in the box to stop Murray and Brown, and that leaves 3 sorry *** defenders against Sam's arm. Ill take Sam's arm in that one.

VA Sooner
10/14/2009, 11:16 PM
1. Don't kick to Shipley.
2. Don't let McCoy throw to Shipley
3. Keep pressure on McCoy
4. Let the Big Easy make his progressions (quickly)
5. The WRs will catch better in this game... they will bring their A game
6. Bradford is back... just what this young team needs is a calming force

stoops the eternal pimp
10/15/2009, 12:23 AM
OU puts up more points on the board

this

meoveryouxinfinity
10/15/2009, 12:50 AM
geez this makes me nervous. Nothing like the RRS. I never get nervous for ANY game early in the week.

I think we MUST score TDs not FGs. We must not leave any points on the field. We must play SMART: very few penalties (no personal foul or unsportsmanlike) and no turnovers or interceptions. We must build a lead in the first half. Texas is most DEFINITELY a second half team. If it's tied or Texas is ahead at the half, I can tell you that there is a 95% that they will win based on our performances and theirs. We also must obtain momentum going into the half. We need to control the time of possession. Bob Stoops hates this stat, but in this game, it is very important. If we lead in time of possession, we are creating 3 and outs for the Texas offense and our offense is sustaining drives and running the ball well. We don't need to push our luck. Sometimes it is better to punt, especially with a lead. We need ONE player on offense to step up. We know Sam is legit. So will Broyles return and be this years Jordan Shipley? Will DeMarco Murray or Chris Brown break tackles and collect 200 yards? All we really need is one star. The rest can aid in the effort. Defensively, we need to stop Colt McCoy from running on us, and Jordan Shipley from shredding us. And we must have the edge in special teams. I think our secondary is spotty. Travis Lewis needs to play better than he did last week. We need to make tackles ASAP and allow reduced YAC. Texas is going to get theirs. That's how dink and dunk works. We need to stop them in 3rd down and long situations, it's so demoralizing to our defense and squad. And even more importantly, we need to stop them on 4th down.

beer4me
10/15/2009, 05:34 AM
O line PROTECT SAM,

remember your blocking schemes,

don't false start eleventy hundred times,

receivers here is a new idea catch the ball.

D cover ****ly,

contain McCoy on scrambles,

don't allow fexus to collect TOP.

easy

Sooner70
10/15/2009, 06:31 AM
1. Don't kick to Shipley (problem is other dude back there is a Big 12 sprint champ)

2. Cover Shipley like a blanket

3. Protect Sam

4. Don't give up the big play....bend but don't break

5. Good Special Teams play

6. Don't run Meerkat Offense inside UT's 5 yd line

7. Stop the stupid penalties....esp. on offense

8. Make Colt uneasy as possible back there--blitz with hands in air...watch his little feet though

9. Secondary---stay at home!

beer4me
10/15/2009, 06:44 AM
1. Don't kick to Shipley (problem is other dude back there is a Big 12 sprint champ)

2. Cover Shipley like a blanket

3. Protect Sam

4. Don't give up the big play....bend but don't break

5. Good Special Teams play

6. Don't run Meerkat Offense inside UT's 5 yd line

7. Stop the stupid penalties....esp. on offense

8. Make Colt uneasy as possible back there--blitz with hands in air...watch his little feet though

9. Secondary---stay at home!

Amen now let us pass the plate :D

ashley
10/15/2009, 10:28 AM
Win the kicking game and maintain good field position
LB's cover the intermediate routs

goingoneight
10/15/2009, 10:28 AM
Don't turn the ball over.
Give Sam adequate time to read and throw.
Catch passes.
DM over CB in critical situations... no excuses.
No Penalties. A false start on 3rd and 5 makes 3rd and 10... MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to convert, obviously. And don't even think about holding.
Defense tackles well.
Defense wins 1-on-1 matchups out wide.

Double Shipley. I'm thinking two safeties unless he's out wide. Then go with Dom and a safety over the top. Win this matchup.

Special Teams plays their best game yet.
Matt Moreland drinks 20 5-hour energy shots and kicks the ball from the 30 back to Norman on each kickoff.
Crowd keeps a fake mustache on hand... just in case.
No prevent defense when the game's on the line. Line up in press coverage, blitz the hell out of Texas with your hands up, tackle their asses and stop this 6-minute game-winning drive crap that Colorado, Texas 2008, Florida 2009, BYU and Miami 2009 have done to us. It's sickening when you're in position to lose and you have gotten to the point where you just let it happen anyway. It's disgusting when someone gets the ball and you know they're gonna win, even if they need 8 points just to tie it... it's just not right.

Put an OLB on Buckner, let Reynolds handle the "running game."

JLEW1818
10/15/2009, 11:33 AM
the game will be a lot like this one

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/10oct/20071006_texas_highlights.wmv&school=okla&

Okie35
10/15/2009, 11:36 AM
the game will be a lot like this one

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/10oct/20071006_texas_highlights.wmv&school=okla&

There's a reason why I 28-21 as my score in the "post your score" thread :D

goingoneight
10/15/2009, 12:56 PM
39-33... :D

OKLA21FAN
10/15/2009, 01:02 PM
first team to rush for 150 yards wins.

(trust me on this one)

:pop:

NOVSooner
10/15/2009, 01:08 PM
I say the answer, simply, is the effectiveness of Demarco....

btk108
10/15/2009, 01:13 PM
this

ST + STEP= Math Major :P

htownsooner7
10/15/2009, 02:17 PM
a game in which the other team does not show up to play is a forfeit and awarded a 1-0 score.

Shut up Fa ggot

freakhorn
10/15/2009, 02:38 PM
Shut up Fa ggot

call me names if you like okie boy, but the fact is your getting your asses handed to you in less than 48 hours from now and as i stated the only way you win is by the horns not showing up period.

ocsooner
10/15/2009, 02:41 PM
nobody gets injured for us

What he said.

JLEW1818
10/15/2009, 03:49 PM
the cats don't like us

What will happen: Oklahoma will test the Texas run defense right away. The Longhorns lead the nation in run defense, but they haven’t faced anyone who can pound the ball with any regularity. Eventually, Texas will adjust, but the Sooners will control the first half. Texas will control the second. This will be a tight nip-and-tuck game, but the Texas defensive front will come through with just enough pressure on Bradford to throw off the timing of the OU passing game, while McCoy will connect on a three key deep passes to save an offense that will get stuffed cold for long stretches, and the D will hold on late as OU will need a touchdown on its final drive to win. Bradford’s final pass into the end zone will be incomplete.
CFN Prediction: Texas 24 … Oklahoma 20 ... Line: Texas -3

Half a Hundred
10/15/2009, 06:01 PM
Turnovers. Nothing more, nothing less.

If we don't give the ball up in 2006 and 2008, we win both of those games.

SoonerNate
10/15/2009, 06:10 PM

Have more points than Texas at the end of the 4th qtr.