PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Favorite Eating Establishments in Oklahoma

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2009, 07:35 AM
What are your top 3 favorite places to eat in Oklahoma? It can be anywhere, but I'm thinking casual-style places that you routinely eat at with great food. These are the places I crave to eat at whenever I come home.

1. Baker's Fish House: Off of HW-69 between Wagoner and Muskogee.

2. Coney Islander in Tulsa: I've been eating there for over 25 years. Every location is great though I'm not terribly fond of the original downtown location.

3. Badlands BBQ in Ft. Gibson: Fantastic BBQ that's almost literally in my backyard.

Lott's Bandana
10/14/2009, 07:54 AM
Cafe do Brasil, OKC - Ana's home cookin', Rio-style.

Tarahumara - Best Mex in Nompton / OK

Eischen's, Okarche - Perfect fried chicken served on wax paper in a bar. FTW!1!!

OklaPony
10/14/2009, 08:19 AM
I'll just do a burger-only response:

Weber's Root Beer - Tulsa

Hamburger Inn - Mangum

Chracoal Oven - OKC

kbsooner21
10/14/2009, 09:05 AM
1. Dan's BBQ Pit - Davenport, OK. Best damn chicken fry around.

2. Nic's - OKC 10th and Penn. Best damn burger around.

3. Eischen's - Okarche, OK. Best damn fried chicken around.

Collier11
10/14/2009, 09:09 AM
TARAHUMARA's every day of the week

StoopTroup
10/14/2009, 09:19 AM
That McDonalds on the I-44 turnpike that you could only get to going from Stroud to Kellyville...Best Fish Filet Sammie in the World. It's to bad they closed that place. It was worth the drive up to Stroud to turn around and head back towards Tulsa. That place is gonna be so missed.

JohnnyMack
10/14/2009, 09:25 AM
SicEm I don't know if you ever went to Nelson's back in tha day but it has recently reopened in a new location. On 3rd street between Peoria and Utica. It kicks gigantic balls. Get the chicken fried steak and homemade pies.

Taxman71
10/14/2009, 09:49 AM
I'll just do a burger-only response:

Weber's Root Beer - Tulsa

Hamburger Inn - Mangum

Chracoal Oven - OKC

Is Hamburger Inn = Slick's? If so, Slick's was closed down a month or two ago, then open again last weekend....heard some ladies bought the place from the old owner.

Oh, and JW in Chickasha and Bricktown Burgers in OKC >>>>>all else. Throw in a bone for Nick's on 10th and Penn.

Boarder
10/14/2009, 10:18 AM
Victoria's - Norman
The Ranch - OKC
Tarahumara - Norman

iwannabelikesam
10/14/2009, 10:20 AM
2. Coney Islander in Tulsa: I've been eating there for over 25 years. Every location is great though I'm not terribly fond of the original downtown location.

I love Coney Islander. Have you ever tried Teri's Coney's downtown? It is very similar to Coney Islander, but imo, it is a little better.

yermom
10/14/2009, 10:58 AM
every time i eat coneys i'm sad that it's not Coney Islander

PDXsooner
10/14/2009, 11:18 AM
hell, i'd settle for a chik-fil-a. we have ZERO chik-fil-a's in the pacific northwest...

NormanPride
10/14/2009, 11:22 AM
1. Il Doce, Norman - best gelato I've ever had in my life. For an ice cream-o-phile, it is like mecca.

2. El Rio Verde, Tulsa - Authentic Messican food FTW

3. Blue Dome Diner, Tulsa - Great diner food, plus lots of healthy options and great random specials

SteelClip49
10/14/2009, 11:25 AM
McGee's outside of Marietta....if it's still there

McNellie's

Smrka's in Medford

Boarder
10/14/2009, 11:28 AM
I'm taking out The Ranch and replacing it with Rodney's Pizza in Purcell.

OklaPony
10/14/2009, 11:34 AM
Is Hamburger Inn = Slick's? If so, Slick's was closed down a month or two ago, then open again last weekend....heard some ladies bought the place from the old owner.

Nope... Hamburger Inn is on Pennsylvania across the street (east) from the courthouse. Slicks is / was a couple of blocks away on 283. Used to get nickel cones at Slicks!

Turd_Ferguson
10/14/2009, 11:45 AM
I'm taking out The Ranch and replacing it with Rodney's Pizza in Purcell.Concur.

Rodney's Pizza - Purcell(hope Jo's sister is filing for bankruptcy)

Tarahumara - Norman

Ron's Hamburger's - OKC

Veritas
10/14/2009, 12:00 PM
I got just one: Soonerfans tailgates. Seriously, you folks know how to bring it. My wife and I still talk about how amazing the tailgate before last years OU/NU game was.

C&CDean
10/14/2009, 12:21 PM
Concur.

Rodney's Pizza - Purcell(hope Jo's sister is filing for bankruptcy)

Tarahumara - Norman

Ron's Hamburger's - OKC

Dude, Rodney's blows. We've given it several tries, and it isn't even close to Jo's. Besides, WTF is up with the clock outside? It's always off by 2-3 hours. Is that supposed to be cool? I don't get it.

Tarahumara is good. I also put Mamaveca and Chelinos (Norman only) in the same category. Each has things that are better/worse than the other.

Ron's is great. I also like the burgers at Tiffany's, Kendall's, and Ruby's.

Turd_Ferguson
10/14/2009, 12:34 PM
Dude, Rodney's blows. We've given it several tries, and it isn't even close to Jo's. Besides, WTF is up with the clock outside? It's always off by 2-3 hours. Is that supposed to be cool? I don't get it.

Tarahumara is good. I also put Mamaveca and Chelinos (Norman only) in the same category. Each has things that are better/worse than the other.

Ron's is great. I also like the burgers at Tiffany's, Kendall's, and Ruby's.Rodney's blows? Since he basically designed Jo's pizza, it's the same thing:confused: I've picked up pizza for the family about 4 times over the last 6 months and it has been awsome...just like Jo's minus the tinfoil.:D

Turd_Ferguson
10/14/2009, 12:35 PM
oh, and what is the name of that messican place in moore, just south of BWW in the strip mall? Anybody know?

MamaMia
10/14/2009, 12:35 PM
I. Legends in Norman

II. Juniors in Oklahoma City

III. Biga Italian Restaurant in Tulsa

[edit] Oh, and just for the record I haven't tried Tarahumara, but my husband loves Mexican so thanks for the referral. :)

C&CDean
10/14/2009, 12:41 PM
oh, and what is the name of that messican place in moore, just south of BWW in the strip mall? Anybody know?

Alfredo's. And it RMFO. We ate there last week for the 3rd or 4th time. I'd have to put it on my list for sure.

Rodney may have worked at Jo's for years, but maybe it's the water up there on the North side, yo. His pizza looks like Jo's, and almost smells like Jo's, but it lacks in the taste department. A lot. We've even gone in and ate one fresh outta the oven (we always take Jo's to go) and it was meh at best. We won't go back. Even the kids noticed it.

walkoffsooner
10/14/2009, 01:02 PM
Teds okc any location
Old plantation at Medicine park
jigs at clinton

soonerbrat
10/14/2009, 01:02 PM
1. Il Doce, Norman - best gelato I've ever had in my life. For an ice cream-o-phile, it is like mecca.

3. Blue Dome Diner, Tulsa - Great diner food, plus lots of healthy options and great random specials

where is Il Doce? must. go. there. do they have stracciatella?

Taxman71
10/14/2009, 01:03 PM
Nope... Hamburger Inn is on Pennsylvania across the street (east) from the courthouse. Slicks is / was a couple of blocks away on 283. Used to get nickel cones at Slicks!

Thanks for the tip. Last time through, the only place open was Sonic on a Saturday afternoon.

soonerbrat
10/14/2009, 01:05 PM
Oh, my 3 are
The Mantel
Falcone's
Johnnie's

Taxman71
10/14/2009, 01:05 PM
where is Il Doce? must. go. there. do they have stracciatella?

Robinson crossing.....by the dollar movies. Also have one off I-35 and 19th in Moore I think.

Collier11
10/14/2009, 01:17 PM
I. Legends in Norman

II. Juniors in Oklahoma City

III. Biga Italian Restaurant in Tulsa

[edit] Oh, and just for the record I haven't tried Tarahumara, but my husband loves Mexican so thanks for the referral. :)

Best Mexican food around, you shoulda asked :)

If he likes spicy tell him to ask for the green sauce, its a spicy gaucamole type dip, really good and the Fajitas are amazing

MrJimBeam
10/14/2009, 01:31 PM
Hugo's - Claremore (breakfast is the best I've had)
Pete's Place - Krebs
Joseph's - Drumright (not as good as 20 yrs ago but still worth it to me.)

okiewaker
10/14/2009, 01:43 PM
Tarahumara-Norman
Cattlemen's-OKC Stockyards
Two Frogs-Ardmore

MamaMia
10/14/2009, 02:27 PM
Best Mexican food around, you shoulda asked :)

If he likes spicy tell him to ask for the green sauce, its a spicy gaucamole type dip, really good and the Fajitas are amazingWe both do. Fajitas are his favorite. We will definately get the green sauce. :)

Hugo's - Claremore (breakfast is the best I've had)
Pete's Place - Krebs
Joseph's - Drumright (not as good as 20 yrs ago but still worth it to me.)I miss Pete's. We live in the N.W. corner of Oklahoma now but we use to eat there in the fall, right about now when the leaves were turning. The drive was scenic and breathtaking. We lived in Atoka then.

Tarahumara-Norman
Cattlemen's-OKC Stockyards
Two Frogs-Ardmore We meet the kids at Cattleman's for breakfast before every OU home game. The dinners are great too. Their house dressing is luscious. I really wish I had that recipe.

Collier11
10/14/2009, 02:31 PM
We live in the N.W. corner of Oklahoma now

Where at in NW OK? I am from Watonga

proud gonzo
10/14/2009, 03:10 PM
Victoria's
Padthai
The Library

SoonerAtKU
10/14/2009, 03:35 PM
The Lot-A-Burger in downtown Bartlesville

Murphy's Steakhouse in Bartlesville

Bourbon Street Cafe on Cherry St. in Tulsa (for Sunday brunch in particular)

JohnnyMack
10/14/2009, 03:53 PM
Bourbon Street Cafe on Cherry St. in Tulsa (for Sunday brunch in particular)

Closed. About a month ago, maybe two.

SoonerAtKU
10/14/2009, 03:55 PM
No way...sad times.

That's what I get for not going back often enough.

Lott's Bandana
10/14/2009, 05:01 PM
McGee's outside of Marietta....if it's still there

McNellie's

Smrka's in Medford

Yes it is, I have a big jar of their spicy green tomato relish in my fridge.

Collier11
10/14/2009, 05:45 PM
I talked myself into Taras tonight, mmmm mmmm good

OklaPony
10/15/2009, 09:39 AM
I talked myself into Taras tonight, mmmm mmmm good
lol... did the same thing for lunch yesterday... good stuff!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/15/2009, 09:43 AM
Wendy's, anywhere in the galaxy

Boulevard Steak House, Edmond

Sooner04
10/15/2009, 09:52 AM
1. The Ranch - Oklahoma City
2. Pete's Place - Krebs
3. Fireside Dining - Ardmore

StoopTroup
10/15/2009, 11:23 AM
Funny how nobody has mentioned Eskimo Joe's. :D

IB4OU2
10/15/2009, 11:30 AM

I totally agree on choices #2 and #3. We eat at El Rio Verde almost every week and have breakfast at Bluedome atleast once a month.

IB4OU2
10/15/2009, 11:33 AM
Closed. About a month ago, maybe two.

:eek: What! Oh hell no!

MamaMia
10/15/2009, 12:16 PM
Where at in NW OK? I am from Watonga

We live in Woodward. I've always wanted to go to the Watonga Cheese Festival but don't they usually have that the same weekend as OU/Texas?

Collier11
10/15/2009, 12:47 PM
actually this yr it was last weekend, it is kinda cool I suppose :)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/15/2009, 12:49 PM
JAHNNIE'S CHAHCOE BWOILAH

SteelClip49
10/15/2009, 01:32 PM
I miss Barry's Chicken Ranch :(

Collier11
10/15/2009, 01:37 PM
^^^ Pfffftttt!!!!!!!!

SteelClip49
10/15/2009, 01:39 PM
Damnnnnnn good homemade banana pudding!

Collier11
10/15/2009, 01:50 PM
I waited tables there for a short time when it was Bills Fish House...Man I hated that place

Partial Qualifier
10/15/2009, 01:53 PM
Simon's Catch - Elk City - best all-u-can-eat catfish tenderloins, in the history of the world, ever

Red Prime or Mahogany's, either one - OKC

Hideaway Pizza in Norman

Chuck Bao
10/15/2009, 02:12 PM
Casa Roma in downtown Ardmore is the only place that I know well enough to recommend. I have to reserve time to have at least one meal there every time that I'm in the US.

Petro-Sooner
10/15/2009, 02:15 PM
Casa Bonita in Tulsa? :D

MamaMia
10/15/2009, 08:44 PM
Casa Bonita in Tulsa? :D Is Casa Bonita's still open? I go to Tulsa to shop at the Whole Foods every month or two so I just stay and have lunch. They have a huge variety of soups and salads. I like that.

I Am Right
10/15/2009, 08:46 PM
Hamburger Inn -Ardmore
Salt Grass------Norman
Olive Garden----Norman

Matter of fact anything Norman.

SoonerNate
10/15/2009, 08:48 PM
From when I lived there:

1. Eischens in Enid
2. RJ's in OKC
3. any Taco Buenos. (don't have them here)

I Am Right
10/15/2009, 08:51 PM
Funny how nobody has mentioned Eskimo Joe's. :D

Now that funny!

Petro-Sooner
10/15/2009, 08:52 PM
Is Casa Bonita's still open? I go to Tulsa to shop at the Whole Foods every month or two so I just stay and have lunch. They have a huge variety of soups and salads. I like that.

I think they are still open. Last I heard.

Zbird
10/15/2009, 09:41 PM
All Gone now
1. Sixkiller's BBQ by Tahlequah - Hot Ring Sandwich with clear BBQ sauce
2. Colemans Drive Inn - Okmulgee - # 4 Burger & Onion Rings
3. LaCroix Dairy Queen -Tulsa - Mr. Big Cheeseburger

Still here
Bob's Pig Shop -Paul's Valley
Van's Pig Stand - Shawnee
Pak-a-sak - Enid

SoonerNate
10/15/2009, 09:47 PM
Oklahoma is so fortunate to have so many nice places to eat. We didn't even get a Sonic here until 3 years ago. You want fast food Mexican, it's Taco Bell that's it.

I'd give anything for a Braum's burger right about now. The food down here sucks. It's better up in Orlando, but from here to Miami it sucks.

Curly Bill
10/15/2009, 09:50 PM
Best place ever was a BBQ joint in Colbert called first: Po' Sams (Po as in poor), and then it became Archie's when his son took it over. Unfortunately it has been gone for a while now.

Turd_Ferguson
10/15/2009, 10:01 PM
Best place ever was a BBQ joint in Colbert called first: Po' Sams (Po as in poor), and then it became Archie's when his son took it over. Unfortunately it has been gone for a while now.There was, maybe still is a BBQ place not too far from ya up in Antler's. Ate there about 5 years ago and it rawked.

Curly Bill
10/15/2009, 10:03 PM
There was, maybe still is a BBQ place not too far from ya up in Antler's. Ate there about 5 years ago and it rawked.

Road trip! :D

Ima do my own version of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives off this list. ;)

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2009, 10:14 PM
Oklahoma is so fortunate to have so many nice places to eat. We didn't even get a Sonic here until 3 years ago. You want fast food Mexican, it's Taco Bell that's it.

I'd give anything for a Braum's burger right about now. The food down here sucks. It's better up in Orlando, but from here to Miami it sucks.

Muskogee, unfortunately, is very lacking in the restaurant department. It has most of the chain stuff but when it comes to a wide variety of really good locally owned restaurants there just isn't much to choose from.

One of the things I love about Waco is that has every chain under the planet, but it also has a TON of small chain/local places of every shape, form, and fashion that are just absolutely fantastic.

There's Health Camp, The Elite Cafe, Vitek's BBQ, George's Bar, Ninfa's, Cricket's, Buzzard Billy's, Poppa Rollo's Pizza, etc. I absolutely love Waco food.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2009, 10:17 PM
SicEm I don't know if you ever went to Nelson's back in tha day but it has recently reopened in a new location. On 3rd street between Peoria and Utica. It kicks gigantic balls. Get the chicken fried steak and homemade pies.

I'll give this place a try! I ate at Ron's Hamburger and Chili at the Farm for the first time last week, and it was fantastic. Tulsa has some pretty good food.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2009, 10:18 PM
There was, maybe still is a BBQ place not too far from ya up in Antler's. Ate there about 5 years ago and it rawked.

Man, my family is from Antlers. I hate that damned town. Seriously, I loathe that place.

Boarder
10/15/2009, 10:33 PM
Hamburger Inn -Ardmore
Salt Grass------Norman
Olive Garden----Norman

Matter of fact anything Norman.
You must live in Purcell.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2009, 10:39 PM
That pizza place in Purcell that the locals rave about is f-ing disgusting.

Sooner04
10/15/2009, 10:54 PM
I cannot believe there's an Olive Garden mention on this list. Sheesh.

Chuck Bao
10/15/2009, 11:10 PM
Best place ever was a BBQ joint in Colbert called first: Po' Sams (Po as in poor), and then it became Archie's when his son took it over. Unfortunately it has been gone for a while now.

I am pretty sure that I ate there as a little kid about 40 years ago and I kinow that I want to go back. Let's meet up there next time I'm in the US.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2009, 11:11 PM
I cannot believe there's an Olive Garden mention on this list. Sheesh.

There was a McDonalds and Braum's mention as well.

Though I admit that I do crave Braum's when I get home. The closest Braum's in Texas is up in Hillsboro. Braums is to Oklahoma as Dairy Queen is to Texas.

SoonerNate
10/15/2009, 11:23 PM
There was a McDonalds and Braum's mention as well.

Though I admit that I do crave Braum's when I get home. The closest Braum's in Texas is up in Hillsboro. Braums is to Oklahoma as Dairy Queen is to Texas.

Yeah, I mentioned Braum's. LOL. But you're right you don't notice little things like Braum's until you leave. Johnnie's is another one. The closest thing we have down here to Johnny's is Johnny Rockets.

Wendy's, McDonald's, and Olive Garden though, I mean c'mon, seriously?

stoopified
10/16/2009, 02:56 PM
Enrique's Mexican-at the airport in Ponca City
Ted's -Norman,OKC,Edmond
Casual dining-I know I'll get grief for this Golden Corral in Notman.Not crazy about their steaks but love the buffet.Their salad bar is outstanding,meatloaf,potroast,chopped staek (all mainstays of the buffet) are excellent.If you get grilled steak you are reminded that they employ cooks,not chefs.
Sooner Legends BBQ in Norman.

Partial Qualifier
10/16/2009, 03:03 PM
Man, my family is from Antlers. I hate that damned town. Seriously, I loathe that place.

Dude... Antlers. You're lucky to get out of there without a meth addiction, from what I hear.

JohnnyMack
10/16/2009, 03:03 PM
I contend that Braums has gone way down hill in terms of quality of late. It's simply not as good as it used to be.

Partial Qualifier
10/16/2009, 03:07 PM
Enrique's Mexican-at the airport in Ponca City
Ted's -Norman,OKC,Edmond
Casual dining-I know I'll get grief for this Golden Corral in Notman.Not crazy about their steaks but love the buffet.Their salad bar is outstanding,meatloaf,potroast,chopped staek (all mainstays of the buffet) are excellent.If you get grilled steak you are reminded that they employ cooks,not chefs.
Sooner Legends BBQ in Norman.

I heard there's another tex-mex place in Ponca that's better than the one in the airport. Have you tried it? Sorry to be vague, I don't know what it's called.

SoonerNate
10/16/2009, 03:15 PM
Ah, forgot about Coney Island in downtown OKC.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/16/2009, 04:37 PM
Muskogee, unfortunately, is very lacking in the restaurant department. It has most of the chain stuff but when it comes to a wide variety of really good locally owned restaurants there just isn't much to choose from.

One of the things I love about Waco is that has every chain under the planet, but it also has a TON of small chain/local places of every shape, form, and fashion that are just absolutely fantastic.

There's Health Camp, The Elite Cafe, Vitek's BBQ, George's Bar, Ninfa's, Cricket's, Buzzard Billy's, Poppa Rollo's Pizza, etc. I absolutely love Waco food.

We have Ninfa's down here in College Station and it is fantastic. I ate at Ninfa's in Houston a few weeks back and it wasn't near as good as here. You can't go wrong with George's or Crickets that's for sure.

jdsooner
10/16/2009, 04:48 PM
Mexican--Tarahumara's in Norman; Enrique's in Ponca City; El Rio Verde in Tulsa
Barbecue--Wild Horse Mountain in Sallisaw; Leo's in OKC
Burgers--Nic's in OKC, Meers in Meers
Chicken--Eischen's in Okarche and Nic's in OKC
Italian--Pete's in Krebs; Roseanna's in Krebs
Seafood--White River Fish Market in Tulsa
Steaks--Cattleman's in OKC; Rusty Barrel in Ponca City

Breadburner
10/16/2009, 05:31 PM
Minute Man Pizza.......Prattville....

Jim's "Never on Sunday" Coney Island....Tulsa

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2009, 05:45 PM
Mexican--Tarahumara's in Norman; Enrique's in Ponca City; El Rio Verde in Tulsa
Barbecue--Wild Horse Mountain in Sallisaw; Leo's in OKC
Burgers--Nic's in OKC, Meers in Meers
Chicken--Eischen's in Okarche and Nic's in OKC
Italian--Pete's in Krebs; Roseanna's in Krebs
Seafood--White River Fish Market in Tulsa
Steaks--Cattleman's in OKC; Rusty Barrel in Ponca City

1...2...3...4...5...6...oh nevermind.

;)

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2009, 06:07 PM
Casa Bonita would have been my #4 if I had said Top 4 choices. :)

And yes they're open again. The original owner bought it back and the quality of the food has gone waaay up.

jdsooner
10/16/2009, 06:49 PM
Three favorites: Pete's, Enrique's, and Wild Horse. I ate at Casa Bonita and it is terrible.