PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Dejuan Miller at Tight End...

Soonerus
10/13/2009, 11:05 PM
...seems brilliant to me...

sooner518
10/13/2009, 11:07 PM
can he block well enough? does it matter? seems like what Texas did to us last year with Shipley....

Collier11
10/13/2009, 11:09 PM
Is that an actual report or your opinion Rus? I think it would be a great idea cus he can run like the wind

Soonerus
10/13/2009, 11:10 PM
It has been observed at practice this week...

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/13/2009, 11:11 PM
I think it's a great idea as well if it's the real deal. Wasn't Gresh a converted receiver?

Hotrod3157
10/13/2009, 11:11 PM
I've been thinking this ever since Gresham went down. Hopefully its being considered to see if they can get him matched up on a linebacker in coverage.

Soonerus
10/13/2009, 11:12 PM
He is a big dude...

Hotrod3157
10/13/2009, 11:13 PM
I think it's a great idea as well if it's the real deal. Wasn't Gresh a converted receiver?

Yes he was a converted wideout. He does have a little thicker natural build then Miller has though.

Soonerus
10/13/2009, 11:15 PM
Dejaun 6' 4" 230...that works...

Soonerus
10/13/2009, 11:17 PM
Look for Dejuan at TE and DeMarco at slot...a lot...

sooner59
10/13/2009, 11:19 PM
Yes he was a converted wideout. He does have a little thicker natural build then Miller has though.

When I watched him in HS, I thought he was a TE. Not that it matters now....

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/13/2009, 11:20 PM
This is obviously the super secret news

Soonerus
10/13/2009, 11:22 PM
This is obviously the super secret news

Exactly we will trick Texas and show up with Brody...

Rhino
10/13/2009, 11:26 PM
Dan Buckner.

sooner59
10/13/2009, 11:36 PM
I heard Jonathan Miller was starting at RB. He somehow grew to 6'2" 220lbs, and suspiciously looks like AD.......:)

SunnySooner
10/13/2009, 11:51 PM
DM fo sho has the height, needs to gain a few lbs. to be a blocking threat as a true TE, but maybe some kinda hybrid...I don't care what they call him, if he can catch the damn ball, line his *** up.

JLEW1818
10/13/2009, 11:56 PM
why the hell not??? No Jermaine??? why not just put the most speed on the field??? its not like we do much after catch anyway... right? .. we usually either catch or drop..

BASSooner
10/13/2009, 11:57 PM
It's about TIME they do this. Although I was very curious to see how Miller's blocking skills are...

Hotrod3157
10/13/2009, 11:59 PM
It's about TIME they do this. Although I was very curious to see how Miller's blocking skills are...

Thats what Brody's for

rawlingsHOH
10/14/2009, 12:02 AM

There is ZERO chance Dejuan will be playing at an in-line TE position this week.

JLEW1818
10/14/2009, 12:10 AM
when Ryan got hurt, the horns said **** it and went 4 WR

why don't we do that ?

Toronto Sooner
10/14/2009, 12:16 AM
I hope this is true. If the coaches focus on making logical (yet innovative) moves like this (and work on the play calling and stop making non-stop excuses) then I can start respecting them again. I really like how they moved D. Murray to the slot position on some plays - it helps to maximize our difference makers on the field.

I posted this (below) about 4 weeks ago when it became painfully obvious that our pass catching TEs were not going to improve this year. I think many other posters on here had the same idea also. It's disappointing that KW is just now coming to that realization. I guess it's better late than never. Here is how I had envisioned working Dejuan into the mix at first.

We need a pass catching TE to step it up. Coach Wilson should start using Dejuan Miller at the TE position (temporarily), especially in double TE sets (where Brody focuses the blocking assignments). Give Dejuan a crash course in TE assignments. Dejuan hasn't been catching many passes at WR, but it sounds like he has been blocking well. He doesn't have a big enough body to play TE on a regular basis right now, but he might be able to go in with certain packages, especially in goal line/end zone situations where his height and his catching abilities represents an advantage.

CtheB
10/14/2009, 08:04 AM
He doesn't necessarily have to line up next to the tackle to be effective as a TE. Line him up 2-3 yards split from the tackle. He's a big target that can make you a fortune of yards with 5-7 yard catches. We need something short and in the middle to keep LBs honest, this may be the perfect solution.

It's the same thing they did with Shipley last year after they lost their TE.

Mjcpr
10/14/2009, 08:33 AM
Has he been cleared to play TE? That's the kind of confirmation we need.

NCSooner18
10/14/2009, 08:39 AM
Quick question somewhat related.....when is the last time you remember us throwing a quick slant pass? I can't remember one. Great way to pick up 3rd and 4 or 5.

gaylordfan1
10/14/2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure about this... It sounds good in theory, but not sure we depend on a guy that has just shown up as a WR. Not sure he can change positions and be better than he is at a position that he has played his entire football career.

Collier11
10/14/2009, 08:42 AM
The better question should be this, remember that middle screen that Manny took to the house a few times last year and those boundry routes that we ran in the first half against texas last yr that were wide open every time, where did they go?

gaylordfan1
10/14/2009, 08:42 AM
Quick question somewhat related.....when is the last time you remember us throwing a quick slant pass? I can't remember one. Great way to pick up 3rd and 4 or 5.

We had several against Baylor. That was D. Millers go to pass during the game.

gaylordfan1
10/14/2009, 08:44 AM
The main reason Brody is not catching the ball so much this year is bc we need that extra interior blocker to assist for what we lack with the line. So, maybe a double TE set with D. Miller off the tackle a couple of yards would be nice.... Would help the red zone.

Sooner Among The Pack
10/14/2009, 08:48 AM
I think this would be a phenomenal idea. I've been shocked at how much missing Gresham has really messed up our offensive rhythm. We were able to plug and go when we lost AD a few years ago, and I think if we could attempt to move someone with speed, decent hands and size into that position, it couldn't hurt to try. We need a legitimate check down option.

Collier11
10/14/2009, 08:55 AM
While not as good as AD, there are alot more really good RBs than there are alot of really good TEs, Gresh is a once in every 10 year type talent at the position IMO

IronHorseSooner
10/14/2009, 09:06 AM
Like Toronto Sooner, I said this about a couple of weeks ago. * is doing this with Buckner, and DeJuan is bigger and faster than Buckner. Again, I wouldn't look to make an in-line TE, as we have that with Brody, and next year with Ikard or Johnson. Jermaine was used more a flex TE, like what the Colts do with Clark. Miller could be the red zone help that this team needs.

NormanPride
10/14/2009, 09:44 AM
Miller will not be putting his hand down this game. My guess is that he's the TE in the spread formations.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2009, 09:46 AM
i love this place

rawlingsHOH
10/14/2009, 09:47 AM
We had several against Baylor. That was D. Millers go to pass during the game.

Yep, Dejuan caught a first down, on a low ball. He also had one bounce off of him near the goalline (defender helped).

We threw some to Kenney and Caleb too.

OUmillenium
10/14/2009, 09:48 AM
Finally something to look forward to on offense.

Blitzkrieg
10/14/2009, 09:49 AM
Blocking won't matter, use him like a Trent Smith type TE. Always lined up in the same place and never blocked down on anyone, but Huepel sure enjoyed having him on the field.

Gresh was sweet because you could line him up anywhere and he could beat the chump that was going to cover him.

I think the thing to do is spread out the field rather than to draw in potential blitzers. Use Murray and Madu as you 3 and 4 WRs. Sam can hit the hot route and take 3 yards when necessary.

SoonerMavrick25
10/14/2009, 09:49 AM
Tight end or not, if he can catch he needs to be on the field, I have been waiting for him to get a chance on to get on the field.

primetime43
10/14/2009, 10:36 AM
I never understood why we didn't throw the fade to Miller against Baylor once we got close to the goal line. Use his size!!!!!!

rawlingsHOH
10/14/2009, 10:38 AM
I never understood why we didn't throw the fade to Miller against Baylor once we got close to the goal line. Use his size!!!!!!

I think we had one called, and it was either overthrown, or he ran a slant instead. Can't remember?

NormanPride
10/14/2009, 11:04 AM
I think we had one called, and it was either overthrown, or he ran a slant instead. Can't remember?

Thrown away, I believe. He ran a slant and Sam expected a fade, so he threw it away.

TXBOOMER
10/14/2009, 12:24 PM
If Dejuan is in at TE he will be running a route period. I like it. No way an LB can cover him especially running a crossing out in the red zone. Bring it on. We have to pull out all of the stops.

SONofa47straitSOONER
10/14/2009, 12:30 PM
So excited about this!!! The coaches are clearly making an effort to get their best athletes and playmakers on the field.

VA Sooner
10/15/2009, 11:14 PM
Blocking won't matter, use him like a Trent Smith type TE. Always lined up in the same place and never blocked down on anyone, but Huepel sure enjoyed having him on the field.

Gresh was sweet because you could line him up anywhere and he could beat the chump that was going to cover him.

I think the thing to do is spread out the field rather than to draw in potential blitzers. Use Murray and Madu as you 3 and 4 WRs. Sam can hit the hot route and take 3 yards when necessary.

BINGO! Best way to utilize a WR that's big and fast... convert to TE and use a check-down receiver or trick plays. Opens up the run, keeps the defenses from blitzing every play and they'll pay dearly for over-pursuit.

Great idea... let's call Stoops and Wilson just to make sure we're all on the same page.

SoonerNate
10/15/2009, 11:33 PM
So excited about this!!! The coaches are clearly making an effort to get their best athletes and playmakers on the field.

This is the smartest idea I've seen in years by our staff.

Okie35
10/16/2009, 12:23 AM
If Dejuan is in at TE he will be running a route period. I like it. No way an LB can cover him especially running a crossing route in the red zone. Bring it on. We have to pull out all of the stops.

I was just about to say the same thing. :D