PDA

View Full Version : Going to make the trip this year

SoonerInSpringdale
10/13/2009, 10:24 AM
I've never made the trip down to Dallas, but this year I will be heading down. I don't have tickets to the game and probably won't get in unless I find a great deal because I'm broke. We are visiting family in the Ennis area and I'm going to check out the Texas State Fair and hopefully find some Sooners around to high five before our victory.

If I don't find any tickets are there any especially Sooner friendly sports bars/grills or spots where the Sooner faithful in Texas go to watch the games? I don't want to end up in some place surrounded by Burnt Orange.

Also any good food places that I should check out while I'm down there?

Thanks.

85Sooner
10/13/2009, 10:41 AM
Me too for the first time in many years. Got 50yd line seats. Go Sooners!

flopshotjoe99
10/13/2009, 10:45 AM
I've never made the trip down to Dallas, but this year I will be heading down. I don't have tickets to the game and probably won't get in unless I find a great deal because I'm broke. We are visiting family in the Ennis area and I'm going to check out the Texas State Fair and hopefully find some Sooners around to high five before our victory.

If I don't find any tickets are there any especially Sooner friendly sports bars/grills or spots where the Sooner faithful in Texas go to watch the games? I don't want to end up in some place surrounded by Burnt Orange.

Also any good food places that I should check out while I'm down there?

Thanks.

Victory Plaza(American Airlines Center) in downtown Dallas has the game on the big screens outside & i've heard it's a pretty mixed crowd. Got tickets this year & even though living in the Dallas area my whole life, this will be my first RRS.:cool:

MamaMia
10/13/2009, 10:56 AM
Humperdinks on Northwest Highway is the place Sooners hang out.

http://humperdinks.com/

SoonerInSpringdale
10/13/2009, 11:05 AM

Place looks delicious. How early do you think I need to show up there to get a place to eat and watch the game?

StoopTroup
10/13/2009, 11:07 AM
Remember this....when we win the Game....the lines at the Fair get really short. Always best to stay and enjoy the fair once they've packed it in. :D

StoopTroup
10/13/2009, 11:08 AM
Place looks delicious. How early do you think I need to show up there to get a place to eat and watch the game?

As soon as they open. Also...remember...if your going to leave....always find another bunch of Sooners who are waiting and treat them like you've been waiting all night for them to get there. Once they have their food...slip out the door and head out. Never give up a table to a whorn.

3rd Generation Longhorn
10/13/2009, 11:16 AM
There are lots of tickets available at reasonable prices (<$200 per ticket). I believe face value is $95. I believe that you can probably pick up endzone tickets for face value or less at the Cotton Bowl. This game is a hoot each year and I want to thank all of you Sooners for making it that way. You make great enemies and usually great friends except on this day of the year. I hope you all have fun, a safe trip but mostly, I hope you lose!

Hook 'Em:texan:

yermom
10/13/2009, 12:14 PM
if i was going to Dallas, i'd find a place in the fair to watch the game and try to find cheapo tickets right before/after kickoff if you are ok with not making the game anyway

batonrougesooner
10/13/2009, 01:28 PM
There are several places to watch the game within the fair.

Boomer.....
10/13/2009, 01:46 PM
We watched the game at the House of Blues last year in the West End. Very cool place and not a lot of whorns. We have also watched many times at Humperdinks in lower Greenville and TwoRows. There should be a fairly even fan base anywhere you go.

SoonerInSpringdale
10/13/2009, 02:12 PM
There are several places to watch the game within the fair.

I've never been to the fair. Are there just TVs in different areas or what?

Collier11
10/13/2009, 02:18 PM

This is where we are watching this year

If this is your 1st time be sure and hit up the West End Friday night so you can yell at texas fans and tell them how ugly they are

westcoast_sooner
10/13/2009, 02:24 PM
Have fun - I've been 3 times and it is ALWAYS a fun trip.

SoonerInSpringdale
10/13/2009, 02:28 PM
This is where we are watching this year

If this is your 1st time be sure and hit up the West End Friday night so you can yell at texas fans and tell them how ugly they are

What is the West End?

Collier11
10/13/2009, 02:29 PM
The West End is off of Commerce st, it is basically a social district but during OU/tx it is blocked off and basically set up to bar hop or walk thru the streets and yell at texas fans. It is where all the pregame yelling and screaming is done but it is usually good natured, I have been down there 8 times and never seen a fight

Collier11
10/13/2009, 02:30 PM
They have restaraunts, bars, live music, and lots and lots of people

Gresho Murford
10/13/2009, 03:07 PM
The West End is off of Commerce st, it is basically a social district but during OU/tx it is blocked off and basically set up to bar hop or walk thru the streets and yell at texas fans. It is where all the pregame yelling and screaming is done but it is usually good natured, I have been down there 8 times and never seen a fight

its going down hill. last year a lot of places were closed. I have seen fights b/t cops and people. Be careful not to trip coming out of a bar or they will be on your *** fast for public intox.

Collier11
10/13/2009, 03:09 PM
Ive been down there 8 years now as I previously said and for OU/tx weekend the cops have a VERY HIGH tolerance for drunk azzes. If people are getting arrested then they most likely did something stupid to deserve it

Boomer.....
10/13/2009, 03:13 PM
My friend got arrested in the West End last year for PI. :D

A lot of businesses in the West End are having a hard time staying open because they are almost dead except for OU/UT. We went to uptown last year and had a good time. From what I hear, people are starting to migrate out of the West End although every time we have been, it's been a blast.

Gresho Murford
10/13/2009, 03:17 PM
Ive been down there 8 years now as I previously said and for OU/tx weekend the cops have a VERY HIGH tolerance for drunk azzes. If people are getting arrested then they most likely did something stupid to deserve it

in my last post I meant last time I went down there (2 years ago). I saw a lot of people get arrested for lame reasons. One instance stands out when a guy came out of spaghetti warehouse and tripped down a small step that he didn't see was there. The cops were on him immediately and arrested him.

yermom
10/13/2009, 03:23 PM
i saw Rufneks getting arrested the last time i was out there. and the cops have kinda been dicks in the past. i remember getting hassled for nothing. and i wasn't even drunk.

it's like Mardi Gras without boobs and with a lot more yelling

Collier11
10/13/2009, 03:41 PM
maybe im not rowdy enough :D

htownsooner7
10/13/2009, 07:56 PM
I'm afraid we'll need a bunch of you guys actually at the game. Whorns will outnumber us this year.

SoonerInSpringdale
10/13/2009, 08:00 PM
Probably will end up at that BBQ joint with the other Sooners. Wish I could score a couple cheap tickets for me and my wife, but I guess everyone wishes that lol

htownsooner7
10/13/2009, 08:19 PM
And to add to the discussion, I've been arrested down there and the cops are out for you. Now, was I drunk in public? Probably. Should I have been arrested? No way.

SoonerInSpringdale
10/13/2009, 08:35 PM
And to add to the discussion, I've been arrested down there and the cops are out for you. Now, was I drunk in public? Probably. Should I have been arrested? No way.

Normally, unless you are just smashed in public you aren't going to jail. You normally either do something that is a danger to you or someone else....or you are just a plain ****** to the cops.

VA Sooner
10/13/2009, 09:56 PM
Wish I were there.

Have a great time folks!

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

Boomer.....
10/14/2009, 07:30 AM
People are making it out to sound like the cops want to arrest anyone and will at the drop of a hat. That's not true.

I have been in many of yelling matches with dozens of fans on each side. It gets pretty heated but the cops will just tell you to move on. They know everyone is drinking/drunk but will only arrest someone if they fight (literally throw punches) or are talking back to the cops and not obeying them when they tell you to do something.

okiewaker
10/14/2009, 07:36 AM

Don't know about any other places but this place is great. This is usually all sooners with an occasional texas fan or two. Great food. Get there before they open. There is usually a line to get in.

Gresho Murford
10/14/2009, 09:27 AM
People are making it out to sound like the cops want to arrest anyone and will at the drop of a hat. That's not true.

I have been in many of yelling matches with dozens of fans on each side. It gets pretty heated but the cops will just tell you to move on. They know everyone is drinking/drunk but will only arrest someone if they fight (literally throw punches) or are talking back to the cops and not obeying them when they tell you to do something.

Thats true but there are always cops on a power trip.

Now something I did see made me laugh pretty hard. It happened with the same story I posted above. When the guy that tripped was being arrested his buddy came by and put his hand on the cops shoulder from behind. He went down pretty quick

cjames317
10/14/2009, 10:40 AM
Last year, Victory Plaza (east side of the American Airlines Center) was pretty fun. Anybody know of anything planned out there?

SoonerInSpringdale
10/16/2009, 08:07 PM
Ok I called humperdinks and they are telling me that they open at 11am and that the crowd starts lining up at 730am. My wife is not going to het up that early and wait.

Any other suggestions? Might just be the Texas state fair for me.

okiewaker
10/16/2009, 08:12 PM
Ok I called humperdinks and they are telling me that they open at 11am and that the crowd starts lining up at 730am. My wife is not going to het up that early and wait.

Any other suggestions? Might just be the Texas state fair for me.

Heh, tell her that ur going to sleep in and she better get up. :D

SoonerInSpringdale
10/18/2009, 01:56 PM
Well guys, I'm on my way back from Dallas...

Went to the food building and there were zero TVs. Started to panic a little bit, then saw the gameday site with a huge screen. As soon as I got to it they took it down lol. Anyway finally found a huge projector screen at the Toyota tent to watch the game with a bunch of sooner and whorn fans. Ended up having a pretty good time.

We sure had our chances. There were some terrible calls, but we had our chances. The horn fans were worries the entire game. The most classless thing was when Bradford went down and was injured, they cheered while screaming "he's hurt". Then he tried to get up and went back down and they cheered louder. It was like a crowd in a roman fight to the death. Disturbing.

I'll have more later, but I'm on my iPhone. Next year I will be getting tickets for sure, can't miss it.