PDA

View Full Version : I think the issue with saxet is ....

Dan Thompson
10/12/2009, 03:49 PM
SHIPLEY

What would it take to keep him covered? Double coverage? Hit him at the line with one player and have a second ready to cover him across the middle?

And of course do not kick to him.

Gresho Murford
10/12/2009, 03:58 PM
sweet the leg

OKLA21FAN
10/12/2009, 03:58 PM
sweet the leg

screw that...some one should 'Jeff Gillooly' his knees

i nominate Sicem :pop:

TrophyCollector
10/12/2009, 04:09 PM
Brian Jackson man-to-man could shut him down all day. However, we don't play that HS man-to-man stuff so we'll have to hope our blitzers get to the QB and force a bad throw to go to one of our safetys sitting in a zone.

Widescreen
10/12/2009, 04:11 PM
Colorado seemed to do OK most of the time. I hope we can be as good as Colorado.

OKC-SLC
10/12/2009, 04:12 PM
Brian Jackson man-to-man could shut him down all day. However, we don't play that HS man-to-man stuff so we'll have to hope our blitzers get to the QB and force a bad throw to go to one of our safetys sitting in a zone.

yeah, just like it did last year vs. texas.

BermudaSooner
10/12/2009, 04:17 PM
Colorado seemed to do OK most of the time. I hope we can be as good as Colorado.

11 catches for 147 yards, and 273 all purpose yards. McBoy's roomie and BFF is the best player on the team.

I'm curious if we had Balogan if that would help our defending of Shipley.

MeMyself&Me
10/12/2009, 04:21 PM
He might be the only offensive threat on the whole * team but I doubt OU will do anything special to stop him nor do I think they'll kick away from him. As Stoop would say, "They'll do what they do and we'll do what we do".

A-M
10/12/2009, 04:21 PM
yeah, just like it did last year vs. texas.

If Colt throws down the middle like he did last year, we are in a lot of trouble. For some reason, the pass down the middle kills us and I will bet that's just what Colt does a lot of on Saturday!:confused:

KantoSooner
10/12/2009, 04:22 PM
Balogun? I think not (and I am a big fan). Tom Wort? Oh yes. Keep up with him and give him a Nic Harris 'night 'night kiss about 1 nanosecond after the ball arrived.....when he didn't just take it for his own self.

VA Sooner
10/12/2009, 04:22 PM
be as good as colorado.... sounds pretty sad to have to achieve that lofty a goal this year.

covering shipley will be the main issue at hand

OUMallen
10/12/2009, 05:10 PM
sweet the leg

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8378/61346992.jpg

Dang. Whiffed.

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/12/2009, 05:16 PM
http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L12092427.jpg

just have the DB's carry this around....

it could be OUr "safety net"

lloyd45
10/12/2009, 05:19 PM

lol what game did you see

OU-HSV
10/12/2009, 06:40 PM
(Correct me if I'm wrong whorn posters)
But another issue with texass is they use more of a speedy/wide receiver type guy at tight end (from what I've seen). They actually moved him from WR to TE I think, right?
That being said....I see a serious problem when we already got lit up last year with Shipley alone across the middle and on short routes....now we have both Shipley and that WR that plays TE to worry about.
To me if Venable's scheme couldn't work against Shipley alone last year, how can we expect it to work against both Shipley and this other dude?

So that's an issue I hope Venables is capable of adjusting for. But something tells me he'll stick to his normal scheme/plan and that makes me nervous as hell that we're going to have speed mismatches with Reynolds and possibly Travis Lewis.
I hope Venables proves me wrong though.

Curly Bill
10/12/2009, 06:45 PM
But another issue with texass is they use more of a speedy/wide receiver type guy at tight end (from what I've seen). They actually moved him from WR to TE I think, right?
That being said....I see a serious problem when we already got lit up last year with Shipley alone across the middle and on short routes....now we have both Shipley and that WR that plays TE to worry about.
To me if Venable's scheme couldn't work against Shipley alone last year, how can we expect it to work against both Shipley and this other dude?

So that's an issue I hope Venables is capable of adjusting for. But something tells me he'll stick to his normal scheme/plan and that makes me nervous as hell that we're going to have speed mismatches with Reynolds and possibly Travis Lewis.

They do say there's a first time for everything. :D

Widescreen
10/12/2009, 07:04 PM
But something tells me he'll stick to his normal scheme/plan and that makes me nervous as hell that we're going to have speed mismatches with Reynolds and possibly Travis Lewis.

So now we're worried about Lewis too? Some of you people act like all LB's are all supposed to be 4.3 guys or something. Lewis, for an LB, is pretty good in coverage.

OU-HSV
10/12/2009, 07:22 PM
So now we're worried about Lewis too? Some of you people act like all LB's are all supposed to be 4.3 guys or something. Lewis, for an LB, is pretty good in coverage.

Wait, I didn't mean it like that. Don't read into it that way. Lewis is a freaking stud. I'm a big Lewis fan. And you are correct, I also feel he has been good in coverage.
I'm simply saying Lewis can only do so much though. He can't cover his assignment and pick up another guy mid play, that, let's say Reynolds has trouble covering. Nothing against Reynolds, but let's face it he's lost a step with the injuries. I don't expect LBs to run a 4.3. But it seems like the defenses Venables enjoys using often creates mismatches for our LBs.

Maybe BV simply isn't using our LB's in the best way. I've said before, I'm no defensive mastermind. But I do find it hard to ignore that it seems like we blitz about 3/4 of the time. And a lot of times I think that's what kills us in situations where we can't afford to blitz 2 guys. So I just hope BV has a successful plan and earns his pay this weekend.

UTgolfer
10/13/2009, 10:31 AM

You are referring to Dan Buckner...playing in the slot/TE position that Shipley played last year. Great hands and doesn't look to have the quickness of Shipley but has good speed down the field.

VA Sooner
10/13/2009, 10:37 AM
Where did Buckner go to high school?

madillsoonerfan5353
10/13/2009, 10:47 AM
Balogun? I think not (and I am a big fan). Tom Wort? Oh yes. Keep up with him and give him a Nic Harris 'night 'night kiss about 1 nanosecond after the ball arrived.....when he didn't just take it for his own self.

Box would be good, I think! As long as we run a cover 2 the seams and sideline between the corners and safeties will be open!!

UTgolfer
10/13/2009, 10:48 AM
Where did Buckner go to high school?

Allen, TX

rawlingsHOH
10/13/2009, 11:03 AM
I'm curious if we had Balogan if that would help our defending of Shipley.
Absolutely not. He was a run stuffing mike, who was often in the wrong fit. He'd still be 3rd string this year too.

rawlingsHOH
10/13/2009, 11:04 AM
Maybe BV simply isn't using our LB's in the best way. I've said before, I'm no defensive mastermind. But I do find it hard to ignore that it seems like we blitz about 3/4 of the time. And a lot of times I think that's what kills us in situations where we can't afford to blitz 2 guys. So I just hope BV has a successful plan and earns his pay this weekend.
It's certainly much less than that.

rawlingsHOH
10/13/2009, 11:05 AM
Box would be good, I think! As long as we run a cover 2 the seams and sideline between the corners and safeties will be open!!
Against spread offenses (like Texas) our base defense is usually a Cover-3/Cloud.

StoopTroup
10/13/2009, 11:15 AM
So I just hope BV has a successful plan and earns his pay this weekend.

It just never stops....